New Anime Special: Pokémon Origin (Based on the Games Red & Green)

By full series I mean people who want this to run just as long as the current anime. That's why I say it's a bad idea. I can see this lasting about 12 eps as an OVA or short series, that would be perfect and nicely paced rather than a movie, though a movie is still good. The reason I say it won't be good as a long-running series is because people hate the current anime because of: Ash, the filler episodes, how long it takes for him to get from point A to point B.

If Origins were to run as long as this, it would be the exact same scenario is what I'm saying.

TokenDuelist said:
By full series I mean people who want this to run just as long as the current anime. That's why I say it's a bad idea. I can see this lasting about 12 eps as an OVA or short series, that would be perfect and nicely paced rather than a movie, though a movie is still good. The reason I say it won't be good as a long-running series is because people hate the current anime because of: Ash, the filler episodes, how long it takes for him to get from point A to point B.

If Origins were to run as long as this, it would be the exact same scenario is what I'm saying.

I'd have to agree. If this were to be as long as Ash's adventures it would kill everything all together. 12-20 is good, I wouldn't even mind it being a little longer than that or even a multi-part movie type thing. I cannot wait to see this though, looks awesome!

how this after the first few episode give a sidekick of the fairer gender, maybe yellow go through Kanto and Johto, have Red win Johto, and have the series take off with Yellow as the main character give a sidekick, nice Max referee to old anime, go though two region with Yellow and Max, and finish the series with Max and one more female character then the finale two region.

Just look at my signature. Red over Ash any day.

I've LIVED as Red, chose Charmander, and now I get to see my actions on screen? Heck yes!

In all seriousness, I'm super excited. Even if it isn't a full series, I get to see one of my favorite icons work his way to become the best.

Once again, sorry about not knowing how to use spoiler tags. Someone teach me!

Code:
[spoiler][img]url[/img][/spoiler]
~IA

*[mod]Drohn[/mod]: I removed the image due to the language in it. The "F-word" isn't allowed. :p *
[private]Removed the image for containing the f-word. *Drohn[/private]

Leaf_Ranger said:
I must say, aside from Green's, Red's and Oak's chubby faces, I've liked it (namely Lance with that menacing (in a good way) look) but...In the video, there's a moment where we can see Red and Charizard floating around each other...could this mean that that is the two bonding and Charizard being able to Mega evolve? O.O I can't stop thinking that this Origins stuff might just be a way to get older fans onboard the Mega train. "Oh look, here you have some nostalgia with the original starter trio BUT they Mega Evolve. And since most of you don't like the current anime, we've given this special with new design but it won't be a full season/anime so keep draming about that".
The different art style will take soe getting used to for me, but I don't mind it. It's not that bad. This generation nostalgia seems to play a major part. I think they really are simply trying to reconnect with their older fans while also trying to keep the ones that are still around. I doubt we'll see Mega Evolution, since they specifically said it's exclusive to Kalos. They might still do it, however. I wouldn't be too surprised, nor upset.

nightkeeper said:
Just look at my signature. Red over Ash any day.

I've LIVED as Red, chose Charmander, and now I get to see my actions on screen? Heck yes!

In all seriousness, I'm super excited. Even if it isn't a full series, I get to see one of my favorite icons work his way to become the best.

Once again, sorry about not knowing how to use spoiler tags. Someone teach me!

I'm really excited as well. The new trailer also got my psyched; I love watching Charizard! Charmander was also the Pokémon I picked in Red (my first game)! :D

I'm hoping that we'll have at least 15+ episodes.

Origin was really cool, and that's coming from someone who hasn't watched the regular anime since he was 10. It's vey condensed, yes, but I still enjoyed it (even without knowing any Japanese). Beautiful art style, and some of the eye catchers are designed to look like a Gameboy saving, complete with number of badges and caught Pokémon. It serves as a nice reminder that this is an accelerated story and that we're not seeing everything Red is doing.

Can't wait to watch in English!

CMP said:
Origin was really cool, and that's coming from someone who hasn't watched the regular anime since he was 10. It's vey condensed, yes, but I still enjoyed it (even without knowing any Japanese). Beautiful art style, and some of the eye catchers are designed to look like a Gameboy saving, complete with number of badges and caught Pokémon. It serves as a nice reminder that this is an accelerated story and that we're not seeing everything Red is doing.

Can't wait to watch in English!

How did the Cerulean Cave encounter go down? Was Mewtwo captured, or did Red kill him?

Captured with an Ultra Ball after Charizard evolved into Charizard X.

Spoiler tags just in case.

I really enjoyed watching The Origin. It met my expectations; I'm sad there aren't more episodes. Here's to hoping for a new special that follows the generation 2 game protagonist!

I loved watching Charmander as the main Pokémon in the anime. It has been my favourite Pokémon forever.

The battle animations and Pokémon sounds were much better in my opinion. The HP bars were funny to see (although I do prefer battles without HP bars in anime).

Watching this made me feel really nostalgic and focused on a few points that I cared a lot about while playing the games. It was especially nice to watch the Cubone/Marowak story. I already got sad from playing through that part of the game, but watching it in the anime was even more touching. I cried a little.

Having Charizard Mega Evolve was awesome.

I really loved this. It's a shame it isn't compressed as a movie but I am seriously hoping for a DVD release.

It is worth every second of watching. Hell I woke up early at 5:30 AM just to catch a stream and was blown away. Best morning ever.

When and where can I find this on DVD.
This gave me so many different feelings all at once, I just don't even know what to say.

Just...oh...my...goodness. That was probably one of the best things Pokemon has put out in quite a while, anime wise.

Makes me want to dig out my Pokemon Adventures volumes.

I really liked "Pokemon Origin". It was more mature and more interesting than the main series. I finally got a chance to see the dark Lavender Tower =D

Ok, I just finished watching this and IT WAS SO AWESOME! I'm not even sure what else to say, I felt so nostalgic throughout the whole thing. They kept the music, the story, everything. The animation was so well done, too.

The funniest part, though, was hearing Naruto everywhere :D

Watched this last night with my husband, and overall I was pretty impressed. I'm not entirely sure how much I want to say about it would be considered spoilers (I think everyone here ought to know the story by now :p), but I'll err on the side of caution and put my whole review/impressions in spoiler tags for anyone that hasn't had a chance to see it yet or is waiting for the dub (even though I don't think it spoilers anything):

Featuring a simplistic plot that's well-known to anyone who's played any of the Pokémon games, Pokémon Origins is a wonderful example of the journey transcending than the destination. Red starts with a Pokémon from Professor Oak and beats all 8 Pokémon Gyms, defeating the criminal organization of Team Rocket along the way. Afterward, he moves onto the Pokémon League, defeating the Elite Four, Champion Lance, and finally his rival, Gary MFing Oak Green. All throughout his journey, Red learns the lesson of friendship and respect, that caring for Pokémon is more important than the power they give you, the moral that all Pokémon games strive to impart.

What makes the anime enjoyable isn't this overarching plot, but the characters themselves, and the little bits of the world that it shares with the audience. At 80 minutes long, the special doesn't even tell most of the story, leaving out all but 2 of the gym battles and glossing over most of the time Red spends on his journey. And yet these four "episodes" manage to inject just the right type and amount of personality into Red and Green.

Red is finally broken from being a simple silent protagonist, but is neither gimmicky nor an Ash clone. Much of his personality and growth of character happens in the first episode, but even in later episodes you can see him mature more, particularly in his trust of his Pokémon and his relationship with Green. Green is arrogant, but not a jerk, and you see his maturation too as he grows to work together with Red, but still retains his pride and his spirit. Even Oak, Mr. Fuji, and other minor characters are handled well. I was particularly impression with the show's handling of Giovanni, making him into a much more realistic and sympathetic character than his game and TV-show counterparts.

In additional to the characters, Pokémon Origins also does a great job at carefully choosing which parts of the game they want to share, and which are glossed over. The world is very carefully introduced in the beginning episode which follows Ash all the way through his first Gym Battle, and various scenes are brought to life, such as Brock carefully choosing his Pokémon based on Red's experience level. The scenes in Lavender Town are particularly remarkable, capturing the eerie melancholy of the Pokémon Tower, and presenting the story of Cubone and Marowak in a particularly heartwrenching manner. In between the various detailed bits of plot, we see Red capturing Pokémon to complete the Pokédex, and battling various trainers and Gym Leaders.

Pokémon Origins is very short, which in some ways is disappointing, but it also keeps the story flowing and focuses on what it wants to show you, avoiding the pitfalls of the original anime that showcases every little detail (and is several hundred episodes long at this point). As much as I would have loved to have at least a cameo of all 151, we don't even get that, but the show has to draw the line somewhere.

In any event, Pokémon Origins impressed me a lot more than I thought it would. It was a legitimately fun show, with good pacing and characterization for such a short special, and was definitely more than just pandering to an older fan base. I'd like to hope that this is a sign of Pokémon recognizing and catering to its older fans more than it has, but even if it's just a one-off, it was a fun ride.

I don't know the story haha, I don't know very much about it, not even seen the whole trailer. I have done this with Pokémon X & Y as well, I don't know much about them, I want to be surprised.

No, I meant, the story of the games. You know, Red gets the gym badges, beats Team Rocket, and becomes the champion.

Yeah, the actual plot of the anime isn't anything special. The only thing that's really surprising or different was already posted on the front page of PokéBeach, so there you go. :p

Yeh it seems the animation has changed in this series too. What do you think of this? looks cool to me.

Back