New Anime Special: Pokémon Origin (Based on the Games Red & Green)

RE: Thoughts on New Anime Series

That's another problem with the current Pokemon anime series is due to all the filler episodes when it's never necessary, that's what ruined anime series like Naruto and Bleach but with Shonen Anime back in the 80's and 90's with Dragonball and Yu Yu Hakusho it had very little filler material but for the filler material that it had contained great quality compared to how lackluster the filler quality is for modern anime today. This is because Shonen Anime/Manga creators don't have as much control over their own Anime series as much as they do with their Manga counterparts.

After Pokemon: The Origins is covered there should be a new Pokemon Anime series based on it's Manga counterpart that takes place in other regions like Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and of course Kalos. They would all be based directly on it's respected Manga series with the same characters as in the actual video games instead of just being Ash Ketchum and Pikachu for 17 straight seasons. For those who would quit watching the current Pokemon anime series If Ash and Pikachu do get replaced as the main protagonists probably haven't watched the series since it began back in 1995-1998. If you leave the status quo alone for a decade it starts to stagnate, changing the status quo of the current Pokemon Anime is what's needed.

In reply to Vast and TokenDuelist, it was in fact *removed* I heard that from. They said a few times on their facebook news feed comments that it was "confirmed" as a special and were saying sorry to everyone who thought it was a series. Ive been following them for years and years and their generally a very reliable source, so I believed this to be true. If it is an OVA as TokenDuelist says, I hope its a lengthy one and not one of those one-shot series that only gets an episode or two.

[private]Edited to remove advertising. I sent a friendly PM. *Drohn [/private]

I love this idea and PROFESSOR OAK LOOKS DECENT YES FINALLY. but really all i want is this to be on tv in the us.

Eh, regardless if it is or not, it will most likely be fairly lengthy. According to the Japanese site, the older fans are the target audience.

The older fans are the target audience of Pokemon: The Origins however why is it fair that in the U.S. we're stuck with the crappy BW series with Ash and Pikachu which is geared toward the younger audience of Pokemon that alienates the older fans of Pokemon since the end of Hoenn or at least Sinnoh when Ash still couldn't win a Pokemon League? He won the Orange Islands and the Battle Frontier but since then his character has gotten stale and the writers keep regressing him everytime he goes to a new region. Why do you think people these days criticize the current Pokemon Anime series for being too childish compared to how awesome it was in the late 90's and early to mid 2000's?

Because the english users complain too much and act like Nintendo owes them better. :U

I don't see why you are using that as a complaint though, we don't know if we're getting this in English, and assuming we won't is like assuming they don't acknowledge us here. They do, all the new tomy kanto merch coming out, that bingo board for the World Championships pretty much nailing the fandom with a solid hammer, all this kanto hyping.
Let's get realistic here - We're getting it, we are getting the same hype material as Japan.
We got the trailer, so we're most likely getting Pokemon: The Origin.

TokenDuelist said:
=It is confirmed as an OVA, as stated in the trailer itself.

The information however, for the one airing October 2nd as a special broadcast, only focuses around Red, Green, and Brock.
Yet that trailer shows us lance and the final battle.

When we take this into consideration, odds are it's just a few fairly long OVA episodes, or maybe a 12 episode OVA at most.

Ah, thank you for that. ^^

I'm thinking it'll either be the same length as a move (an hour and a half - 2 hours) or be a few episodes long.

What I'm really looking forward to is seeing if they'll decide to do the other games if this one is successful.

Side Note: I love your avatar :3

TokenDuelist said:
Because the english users complain too much and act like Nintendo owes them better. :U

They have every right to complain because the people in charge of the current Pokemon Anime series does owe everyone better than what they've been doing in the last decade where they refuse to give Ash Ketchum and Pikachu closure in the series and change the status quo of the Anime by giving us new main protagonists or better yet an Anime adaptation to the Manga that replaces the current Anime series. I wouldn't be surprised If there are people out there who feel ashamed of being a Pokemon fan because of Ash Ketchum in the Anime series.

Card Slinger J said:
TokenDuelist said:

They have every right to complain because the people in charge of the current Pokemon Anime series does owe everyone better than what they've been doing in the last decade where they refuse to give Ash Ketchum and Pikachu closure in the series and change the status quo of the Anime by giving us new main protagonists or better yet an Anime adaptation to the Manga that replaces the current Anime series. I wouldn't be surprised If there are people out there who feel ashamed of being a Pokemon fan because of Ash Ketchum in the Anime series.

You do realize after johto where he did not age they were basically stuck with ash. also i heard they meant for him to win indigo league but they couldn't cuz of time problems after porygon's episode,

I'm looking forward to the new special. I have always wanted to see anime versions of more playable characters from the video games. It would be great if this were to become a new series that would also follow the characters of the other playable characters from the other generation games.

I'm glad he picked Charmander, since it was the first Pokémon I chose! Also in Pokémon Red. This will bring up some nostalgic feelings!

For this I would prefer if it followed the story line from the game. Since Charmander is seen as a Charizard I'm guessing they will make at least several episodes for this, unless they skip majority of his adventure (I hope they won't!).

Drohn said:
I'm looking forward to the new special. I have always wanted to see anime versions of more playable characters from the video games. It would be great if this were to become a new series that would also follow the characters of the other playable characters from the other generation games.

I'm glad he picked Charmander, since it was the first Pokémon I chose! Also in Pokémon Red. This will bring up some nostalgic feelings!

For this I would prefer if it followed the story line from the game. Since Charmander is seen as a Charizard I'm guessing they will make at least several episodes for this, unless they skip majority of his adventure (I hope they won't!).

I agree with all of this and also since i started in firered gamewise YES CHARMANDERZARD

I must say, aside from Green's, Red's and Oak's chubby faces, I've liked it (namely Lance with that menacing (in a good way) look) but...In the video, there's a moment where we can see Red and Charizard floating around each other...could this mean that that is the two bonding and Charizard being able to Mega evolve? O.O I can't stop thinking that this Origins stuff might just be a way to get older fans onboard the Mega train. "Oh look, here you have some nostalgia with the original starter trio BUT they Mega Evolve. And since most of you don't like the current anime, we've given this special with new design but it won't be a full season/anime so keep draming about that".

Just realized the characters faces remind me of the newest scooby doo series weird. o_O

Edit: I actually don't like that series I prefer the older ones so yea.

It looks like the best quality Pokemon anime I've seen in a while. It looks animated really well, Red is the main character, if it has the plot of the original game then it will have an awesome plot, and best of all, get nostalgic by looking at it! I don't know how to explain it, but it just looks good to me. I will make a point to watch this (if I can remember, that is!).

Yeah I'm sure Blastoise and Charizard will Mega evolve and duke it out quite epicly. That would explain why Venusaur supposedly doesn't get a Mega Evolution [unconfirmed] (although srsly give him one ffs).

Drohn said:

I won't mind if they skim his gym battles, as most manga do that. They will probably show a few scenes in the form of a montage after Brock, since that's what the first broadcast seems to go up to. Either that or it will be a full-fledged movie-size OVA. Either one I'm okay with because this is a nice thing to give us fans, while still telling Red's story to the younger audiences and making us feel nostalgic. Even on it's own it seems like it will have a strong enough presence in history for us. Almost like a disney movie.

One thing I wanted to point out, as I notice this whenever I look at TV Tokyo's schedules, and I'm not sure if this is all the time but SEEMS to be the case.

The time frame that Origin plays in, is a time frame left open for movies, with a total space of about 2 hours.

Origin might fit that whole 2 hours, or a good chunk of it.

Card Slinger J said:
TokenDuelist said:

I'm not really sure why EVERYONE hates ash so much I mean if they used the main protaginists for the anime they would constantly be switching the main character I do however admit the anime IS lacking lately BUT if you ACTUALY give it a chance its not THAT bad at least not as bad as everyone says it is

If origins is the beginning of an anime version of the games, the anime for BW would be INSANELY epic. With generation V having one of the best story lines so far, it could translate to a very good anime.

frankie31601 said:
Card Slinger J said:
I'm not really sure why EVERYONE hates ash so much I mean if they used the main protaginists for the anime they would constantly be switching the main character I do however admit the anime IS lacking lately BUT if you ACTUALY give it a chance its not THAT bad at least not as bad as everyone says it is

^^^^ All of this.

And no they still shouldn't complain.
Why do I say this?

Game Freak does what they can to deliver nods, references, products, cameos, etc. From Gen 1 to please most of the older fans. Yet are still met with "Game Freak doesn't care!" and when they finally DO show they care in the biggest possible way they can with Origin, which, is either a few OVA episodes, or a full length movie special, all they get is complaints. This is VERY sad and feels like blind rage.Game Freak owes them nothing because after the way they act, they're even lucky Origin is an actual thing. Honestly, I can say most of the positive/easy-going side of the fandom deserves this a lot more than the older fans do. No matter what gets argued or said, there is one thing that can't be denied - Origin wouldn't be something ongoing for such a long time anyway. Unless it stretched and based itself off of different games rather than just Red's adventure. Origin however, is meant to tell the story of Red/Green version and seems to stick to that nicely. I wouldn't want to see it stretch into 50 episodes, anyone who takes how short the story is into consideraton can probably agree on this too. It's better off as a special or movie, than it is a full-length series itself.

TokenDuelist said:
frankie31601 said:

^^^^ All of this.

And no they still shouldn't complain.
Why do I say this?

Game Freak does what they can to deliver nods, references, products, cameos, etc. From Gen 1 to please most of the older fans. Yet are still met with "Game Freak doesn't care!" and when they finally DO show they care in the biggest possible way they can with Origin, which, is either a few OVA episodes, or a full length movie special, all they get is complaints. This is VERY sad and feels like blind rage.Game Freak owes them nothing because after the way they act, they're even lucky Origin is an actual thing. Honestly, I can say most of the positive/easy-going side of the fandom deserves this a lot more than the older fans do. No matter what gets argued or said, there is one thing that can't be denied - Origin wouldn't be something ongoing for such a long time anyway. Unless it stretched and based itself off of different games rather than just Red's adventure. Origin however, is meant to tell the story of Red/Green version and seems to stick to that nicely. I wouldn't want to see it stretch into 50 episodes, anyone who takes how short the story is into consideraton can probably agree on this too. It's better off as a special or movie, than it is a full-length series itself.

I fail to see why this wouldn't make a fine series. By logic Red's adventure would be 8 badges and the pokemon league, I would want at least 12-20 episodes ideally. I do not see the benefit of only an hour or two total where you only get to watch the beginning of his journey and the end.

Back