Naming a Deck

MetaArmor

Defender of Lemons
I think us as a group should try to be a little more creative when it comes to naming our decks. It just bothers me when people name their decks like they are a celebrity couple. It just feels so uncreative and childish. Yes a lot of the posters on forums like pokebeach and pokegym are young, but I feel like even the young ones should be more creative. It makes sense they get these names through the two pokemon who are the MVPs of the deck, the names just come out awkwardly. Luxchomp, Reshiphlosion, Zekeels, it just sounds so awkward that it could make me cringe when I hear these names.

I think there could be a better way to name these decks.

One problem in changing this is that our current naming system is somewhat universal. If i was to say I was thinking of making a deck named Rayboar, anyone familiar with the meta would understand that I mean Rayquaza and Emboar, and that they have some synergy together. One option I was thinking that would also be universal was to just name these decks by the main attack being used. It is not so much more creative, but atleast it doesnt sound like I heard the name while watching the channel E!. The only problem with that is that it is somewhat less universal. If I was to name that same deck after Rayquaza's main attack, you wouldnt know what pokemon was assisting the energy acceleration, and I might as well just call the deck Rayquaza.

Then there are people who could popularize decks, like what happen with The Truth. Such an original name for such an original deck. Not the best name, but I wish names like these could be used more often for decks. The problem with that is it is not so universal unless it was popularized by the owner of the deck.

I hope I am not the only one who is annoyed by this.

Mudkip711

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
All deck names annoy me, even if it is something original like "The Truth". If the deck is Garchomp/Altaria, it should be called Garchomp or Garchomp/Altaria. Not Fluffychomp, Altchomp, Gartaria or any of the other stupid variations.

It's even worse when people try to include every single Pokemon in the title.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
My goal is to win worlds so I can have them make my deck. I will name it _____ and Friends in homage of the GB TCG.

Deck names tell a person at a glance what's in it, so I can understand that. But I think people should be at least a little creative in naming decks rather than try to slap two Pokemon's names together that do not go well at all (see: Garchomp/Altaria).

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I don't care very much about how the names sound. But I don't like the popular naming system you describe in the current format because it usually doesn't represent decks very well. For example, ZekEel obviously means Zekrom/Eelektrik, but most Eelektrik decks no longer focus on Zekrom as much as they do other cards and the attacker being used usually varies on a matchup-to-matchup basis. Because of this, I call the deck Eelektrik because that's the only card that's always part of the deck and strategy in every list and every matchup.

Same applies to CTM - I dropped Tornadus out of my CTM completely and didn't have Terrakion either for awhile in HS-ND. So I just called Celebi because that told people what I was using without misrepresenting my deck's attacking lineup.

And there are countless other examples too. I just called The Truth Vileplume/Reuniclus because The Truth makes people think of the Donphan/Zekrom/SEL attacker lineup when I stopped using that as soon as Noble Victories came out.

So I call decks by whatever cards are used in every list and every matchup, hands-down.

Cinema

Gyarados Bait
If the names of the two main Pokemon go together well (Luxchomp, Reshiphlosion, etc.) it's fine to call it that. If they don't go together well (Garchomp/Altaria, Darkrai/Hydreigon) then just call it Pokemon 1/Pokemon 2. Not FluffyChomp, GarTaria, AltChomp, or anything to do with the attacks or abilities. When you call a deck "FluffyChomp", you look like a fool and a lot of people will have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Garchomp/Altaria. It's barely longer and you'll never have to explain what you're talking about.

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
I really think the deck names that mix the Pokemon names are just straight up annoying. Zekeels, Reshiphlosion, FluffyChomp - all of them. They just bother me. For some reason, whenever I see people use those kind of deck names, it just instantly makes that person seem annoying to me (there are more descriptive words that I'm not allowed to use to describe said people :p). Just call your deck by the main Pokemon in it, and be done with it. Fancy creative little names just make things harder to figure out in my opinion. For example, FluffyChomp. What Pokemon has fluffy in the name. I think just Pokemon1/Pokemon2 or just a Pokemon is the best way to name a deck.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I will seriously pay $1000 if any of the winning worlds players name their deck "Darkrai and Friends."

Mudkip711

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
PMJ said:
I will seriously pay $1000 if any of the winning worlds players name their deck "Darkrai and Friends."

If I ever win Worlds remind me of this post and I'll name my deck that, even if I don't play Darkrai.

"What was your inspiration for this interesting deck name?"

"Pimpwalkin' Matteo Johnson"

raw19

The Trapmaster
When i'm asked what deck i'm playing i always list the two main Pokemon and then give out the fancy name i came up for it. I.e. when asked a while back i said that i was playing Tyranitar/Hydreigon but that i called it Midnight Wave. Currently, i'd say that i'm playing Gothitelle/Gardevoir or Gothy/Gardy, but that i call it Hex Girls.

GHJamesGH

Retired Mod
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Do not start this deck name garbage again Pokebeach. Any name that doesn't describe the Pokemon in it is just confusing.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
PMJ said:
My goal is to win worlds so I can have them make my deck. I will name it _____ and Friends in homage of the GB TCG.

Or something completely unrelated to or the opposite of the deck in general.

For example, say I'm playing "FluffyChomp." I'd name it "RigidNibble."

JadeEspeon

Straight Espeonage!
The Fire Wyrm said:
So Ninetales/Amoongus would be "High on Foxes Shroomz"?
Becacuse that actually would be a valid summary of the deck.

I would just call Ninetales/Amoongus , "Fox Shroomz". Of course, even if I do hate the deck names, like said before it's hard for other people to know what you're talking about without halving the Pokemon names. It's the "THING" now, I guess and there's not much getting around it.

The Fire Wyrm

Aspiring Trainer
JadeEspeon said:
I would just call Ninetales/Amoongus , "Fox Shroomz". Of course, even if I do hate the deck names, like said before it's hard for other people to know what you're talking about without halving the Pokemon names. It's the "THING" now, I guess and there's not much getting around it.
Apparently you don't get the joke.
The "shrooms" are used to inflict status conditions. Thus making you "high"
The Ninetales are mad because you ate their shrooms, so they attack you while you are high, doing more damage depending on how many status conditions you have. (how high you are)

Blui

lv85 paladin
So many lol deck names
Darkrai EX/Tornadus EX - Nightwinds
Darkrai EX/Hydreigon - Dreikrai (It's pronounced kinda like dry-cry, it's better when you know German :p)

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
Mudkip711 said:
All deck names annoy me, even if it is something original like "The Truth". If the deck is Garchomp/Altaria, it should be called Garchomp or Garchomp/Altaria. Not Fluffychomp, Altchomp, Gartaria or any of the other stupid variations.

It's even worse when people try to include every single Pokemon in the title.
Hey, how do you think Garchomp/Gabite/Gible/Altaria/Swablu/Terrakion/Emolga is gonna do at the next Battle Roads? I think it's gonna have tough competition with Zekrom-EX/Zekrom/Eelektrik/Tynamo/Tornadus-EX/Mewtwo-EX/Raikou-EX and Darkrai-EX/Hydreigon/Zweilous/Deino/Mewtwo-EX/Shaymin-EX/Sableye.

People should be able to name their decks whatever they want to. You don't like it? That's fine, name your deck whatever you want to name your deck, and let others name their decks whatever they want to name their decks.

Chaos Ripper

Obsessed w/ TES-Oblivion, Lamb of God, and GH-WOR
I agree with don()shinobi. People should be allowed to name their decks whatever they want. For example, I'm working on building a Raikou/Eelektrik deck for next season, and I want to come up with a stylish name for it, so I could name it RaiLektrik or EelKou, or I could name it something unique, like Thunder Stomp or Electric Crunch, or something of that nature. What I'm saying is, everybody can name their decks what they want, no matter how ridiculous it sounds to others.

Renoir

Großer Krieger.
I am by no means an expert regarding this subject, but the general consensus seems to focus on the core Pokémon cards, mostly their final stages (Zekrom/Eelektrik), and if the deck grows more popular, players start to apply contractions or acronyms.

That is an easy naming system, but i don't see why it is childish and/or uncreative, it is efficient, and i cannot comprehend why it should be overly complex (outside of WCS).

Xcelsior said:
I agree with don()shinobi. People should be allowed to name their decks whatever they want. For example, I'm working on building a Raikou/Eelektrik deck for next season, and I want to come up with a stylish name for it, so I could name it RaiLektrik or EelKou, or I could name it something unique, like Thunder Stomp or Electric Crunch, or something of that nature. What I'm saying is, everybody can name their decks what they want, no matter how ridiculous it sounds to others.
May i suggest Electric Curbstomp?