Naming a Deck

Blui129 said:
Darkrai EX/Hydreigon - Dreikrai (It's pronounced kinda like dry-cry, it's better when you know German :p)

I lol'ed. Thank you so much sir, for knowing a little German.

But I think that people should at least try coming up with unique names, if for nothing else, than to be unique themselves. I can't stand ordinary.

These "universal" names suck. When I did play somewhat competitively, we had creative names that often times didn't have anything to do with the deck. I ran a Torterra Lv.X/Darkrai Lv. X deck for the longest time and called it Darkened Forest/Forest of Darkness. One guy had a Dialga Lv. X/Infernape Lv. X and called it Dark Blade.

"Creative deck names" are actively bad for the game. It puts off newcomers when they hear about decks called "The Truth" or "Dark Blade" at a tournament. If we're talking about 5 Truth decks winning Regionals, to someone who is unfamiliar with the metagame, that means NOTHING. If we say that Metanite won nationals, that makes more sense. Meta = Metagross, Nite = Dragonite. Kinda starts making sense. Now if we say that CMT, Celebi Mewtwo Tornadus, got T8 at worlds, it instantly makes sense. Truth tells us nothing about what is in the deck, so it can put off newcomers who are not already familiar with the metagame. I'm sure you all want to be your own special snowflakes, but when your creation limits the enjoyment of the game for others, think twice about your "creative deck name".

If you need an example of this, look at MTG. Names such as "The Rock" or "Full English Breakfast" have been thrown around enough that nobody knows what they refer to. Any Black/Green player can call his deck "The Rock", but the original "The Rock" dealt with a very particular set of cards. "Full English Breakfast" won a few Pro Tours, but no one except for the creators of the deck really know what that deck name refers to. Look it up. These deck names require more conversation to actually figure out what cards are in the deck. Better names, such as Red/White Agro, or Blue/White Control tell you what colors the deck is and what the deck's goal is. Creative names don't help the deck become any cooler, just more confusing.

I think deck names should also be revolving around main abilities. (And attacks.But mainly the abilities.)
Like the deck I still play, would just name it something like..."Blue Fandango"...(Reshiram/Emboar)
Just stick in the ability and anything obviously relating to something in the deck and you got it. Blue Fandango doesn't sound bad to me, so I'm good with it. I say, be creative but keep it obvious.

Woo look at this! I am glad that this topic got some serious momentum to it! Great counter points also btw.
I understand that the names are efficient and friendly to new players, no one is doubting that. But that does not mean they are creative. Yes these names have reason to them, I just hate how they sound. I said they seem childish not because of the efficiency but because that is as far as that kind of name takes you into the deck. Yes we can understand who we are talking about by merging the names together, but that is it. Good point on Truth, the name doesnt describe the deck at all, making it awkward in understanding what the deck does. Also I must admit I really don't mind CMT nor ZPS because they are comfortable to say. I just think there can be a better way to help describe these decks without just smashing two names together.

For example, when I was trying to get a Chandelure deck together when the card was first released, I named my deck "Sneaky Placement". Yes it is not that creative, and was inspired by I think it was one of Haunter's moves from Triumphant which also placed damage counters, but it was different. And the name described exactly what the deck did. (for those of you who dont know, It placed damage counters anywhere on the opponents pokemon) It didnt state what pokemon were in the deck, but then again I felt it was the perfect way to describe it as a title.

I do not see where naming a deck something other than like it was a generic tabloid couple hinders anyone's enjoyment. If the title is interesting, then personally I would be interested in what the deck contained. I do not even play magic and I am curious as to what "Full English Breakfast" holds. But again I do agree that it doesnt actually help as to what was inside the deck. (or maybe it did somehow idk i do not play MTG) My opinion is that there is other options than the current norm. "6 Corners" is a deck name that doesnt smash pokemon names together and still tells us a little about the deck. We could have just used acronyms to name that deck, but it gives just as little detail as to what is in the deck as 6 Corners but without any creativity nor enthusiasm. And with my admitingly non original "Sneaky Placement" I could have named it Dodriolure or something, but where is the fun and originality in that?

Here's some more-
Nintales/Amoonguss- Blazingspore
CMT- Natural Cats and Bulls /Or Original name
Garchomp/Altaria- CottonCut
Reshiphlosion- Blue Afterburner

All of my Ideas are stupid but whatever :p

How about something a bit more cool for Garchomp/Altaria? I think Eternal Dragon says it all.

However, It wouldn't be Eternal as Such, because It is not a stall deck, and games will not last Eternally.
And Altaria's pitiful 70 definately dosen't make it eternal.
Sounds better than Cottoncut though :)

MetaArmor said:
Woo look at this! I am glad that this topic got some serious momentum to it! Great counter points also btw.
I understand that the names are efficient and friendly to new players, no one is doubting that. But that does not mean they are creative. Yes these names have reason to them, I just hate how they sound. I said they seem childish not because of the efficiency but because that is as far as that kind of name takes you into the deck. Yes we can understand who we are talking about by merging the names together, but that is it. Good point on Truth, the name doesnt describe the deck at all, making it awkward in understanding what the deck does. Also I must admit I really don't mind CMT nor ZPS because they are comfortable to say. I just think there can be a better way to help describe these decks without just smashing two names together.

For example, when I was trying to get a Chandelure deck together when the card was first released, I named my deck "Sneaky Placement". Yes it is not that creative, and was inspired by I think it was one of Haunter's moves from Triumphant which also placed damage counters, but it was different. And the name described exactly what the deck did. (for those of you who don't know, It placed damage counters anywhere on the opponents pokemon) It didnt state what pokemon were in the deck, but then again I felt it was the perfect way to describe it as a title.

I do not see where naming a deck something other than like it was a generic tabloid couple hinders anyone's enjoyment. If the title is interesting, then personally I would be interested in what the deck contained. I do not even play magic and I am curious as to what "Full English Breakfast" holds. But again I do agree that it doesnt actually help as to what was inside the deck. (or maybe it did somehow idk i do not play MTG) My opinion is that there is other options than the current norm. "6 Corners" is a deck name that doesnt smash pokemon names together and still tells us a little about the deck. We could have just used acronyms to name that deck, but it gives just as little detail as to what is in the deck as 6 Corners but without any creativity nor enthusiasm. And with my admitingly non original "Sneaky Placement" I could have named it Dodriolure or something, but where is the fun and originality in that?
Do they have to be overly creative? Isn't it enough to combine two or more neologisms who describe what marks the deck's core engine(s)? And i apparently fail to comprehend your motivation. You demand more creative abbreviations because you simply don't like the current ones?

The Truth is an exception, as it was a fairly new deck which gained popularity after the list was revealed. And as it was already named, people adopted the moniker. The name itself probably has not that much meaning behind it, but seeing that it was a winning deck at WCS, The Truth is something that may come into mind.

Also, it doesn't hinder anyones enjoyment but archetypes are archetypes. What you decide to play and how you name it is up to you.

CodeMonkey said:
"Creative deck names" are actively bad for the game. It puts off newcomers when they hear about decks called "The Truth" or "Dark Blade" at a tournament.
Is it that difficult to ask what a deck is?

The Fire Wyrm said:
Apparently you don't get the joke.
The "shrooms" are used to inflict status conditions. Thus making you "high"
The Ninetales are mad because you ate their shrooms, so they attack you while you are high, doing more damage depending on how many status conditions you have. (how high you are)

No, I get the joke-I'm not dense. I just didn't find it that funny.

CodeMonkey said:
"Creative deck names" are actively bad for the game. It puts off newcomers when they hear about decks called "The Truth" or "Dark Blade" at a tournament. If we're talking about 5 Truth decks winning Regionals, to someone who is unfamiliar with the metagame, that means NOTHING. If we say that Metanite won nationals, that makes more sense. Meta = Metagross, Nite = Dragonite. Kinda starts making sense. Now if we say that CMT, Celebi Mewtwo Tornadus, got T8 at worlds, it instantly makes sense. Truth tells us nothing about what is in the deck, so it can put off newcomers who are not already familiar with the metagame. I'm sure you all want to be your own special snowflakes, but when your creation limits the enjoyment of the game for others, think twice about your "creative deck name".

If you need an example of this, look at MTG. Names such as "The Rock" or "Full English Breakfast" have been thrown around enough that nobody knows what they refer to. Any Black/Green player can call his deck "The Rock", but the original "The Rock" dealt with a very particular set of cards. "Full English Breakfast" won a few Pro Tours, but no one except for the creators of the deck really know what that deck name refers to. Look it up. These deck names require more conversation to actually figure out what cards are in the deck. Better names, such as Red/White Agro, or Blue/White Control tell you what colors the deck is and what the deck's goal is. Creative names don't help the deck become any cooler, just more confusing.

If you don't mind me asking, do you happen to be CodeMonkey from ProjectPokemon?

Now, referring to what you said. I agree with you on how deck names like "The Truth" do absolutely nothing to let people know what kind of deck it is. But I do not agree that contraction names of the main Pokemon help. Of course there are some obvious ones, like Reshiploshion (Reshiram and Typhlosion), but a deck called Metanite makes me think of the Kirby character Meta Knight. CMT? I had no idea what that stood for until you just said it. CMT could stand for anything. It could be Charmander, Marowak, and Turtwig for all I know.

I thoroughly believe that all decks should be named by the 1 or 2 biggest Pokemon in the deck. So instead of Reshiplosion or The Truth, just name the deck Reshiram/Typhlosion.

People can name their decks whatever they want to name them. It doesn't matter if the name makes sense. A lot of people play this game for fun. If they can't have fun by naming their deck what they want and have to go with some stupid "universal" name that takes some fun out of it. Plus, if half the players had CMT, the other half would know almost exactly how to counter it.

Sometimes people want to mess around with people up by naming their deck something completely different than what it really is. Sure, it isn't the nicest thing to do or anything, but hey, life is full of surprises. If you can't find a way to deal with whats thrown at you, you're probably not going to get very far in life. Have you ever heard of a lying salesperson? If you say no, then you: a) don't watch TV; b) are lying yourself or just don't know; or c) are very, very lucky. They might lie, but they get paid for doing it. If you are watching it, chances are someone is paying for it.

Sports are another (possibly better) example. As long as you abide by the rules of the game, you can do whatever you want. You don't have to use the same deck name just because everyone else does. You don't have to play the smartest play in a game, you can do what you think will work, even though there might be controversy about it. If we didn't have any of this, where would we be?

Bob The Magical Penguin said:
People can name their decks whatever they want to name them. It doesn't matter if the name makes sense. A lot of people play this game for fun. If they can't have fun by naming their deck what they want and have to go with some stupid "universal" name that takes some fun out of it. Plus, if half the players had CMT, the other half would know almost exactly how to counter it.

Sometimes people want to mess around with people up by naming their deck something completely different than what it really is. Sure, it isn't the nicest thing to do or anything, but hey, life is full of surprises. If you can't find a way to deal with whats thrown at you, you're probably not going to get very far in life. Have you ever heard of a lying salesperson? If you say no, then you: a) don't watch TV; b) are lying yourself or just don't know; or c) are very, very lucky. They might lie, but they get paid for doing it. If you are watching it, chances are someone is paying for it.

Sports are another (possibly better) example. As long as you abide by the rules of the game, you can do whatever you want. You don't have to use the same deck name just because everyone else does. You don't have to play the smartest play in a game, you can do what you think will work, even though there might be controversy about it. If we didn't have any of this, where would we be?
If we're having a discussion about a deck, it'd be impossible to follow the discussion if people give it 10 different names. That's fine if you want to give your individual brew a silly name, but if we're having a discussion about a popular deck, it is best for that popular deck to have a cool name. The kids who try to trick others with silly names take the game way too seriously. Nobody is put-off by a silly name. No one ever gets tricked by a silly name.

So pretty much, when actually playing, one should use a creative name as it doesn't allow their opponent to know their deck. But when discussing a deck with others, it is best to use a generic, straightforward name such as Pokemon1/Pokemon2.

Daelum said:
So pretty much, when actually playing, one should use a creative name as it doesn't allow their opponent to know their deck. But when discussing a deck with others, it is best to use a generic, straightforward name such as Pokemon1/Pokemon2.
I can tell you for a fact that on the competitive scene, people are very straight-up with what's in their decks. Even the great rogue players will be very obvious with their deck's strategy. You kinda look like a jerk when you tell someone "I'm playing <name of deck>" without telling them what the deck actually is. Either be upfront or don't give an answer at all.

I can see the point of using them in the competitive play, I just don't like them, plus I don't play very competitively as it is. When i do play, its just for fun and I like to have my own deck name (especially since my decks usually don't have these cards in the mainstream decks).

CodeMonkey said:
I can tell you for a fact that on the competitive scene, people are very straight-up with what's in their decks. Even the great rogue players will be very obvious with their deck's strategy. You kinda look like a jerk when you tell someone "I'm playing <name of deck>" without telling them what the deck actually is. Either be upfront or don't give an answer at all.
There's a very big difference in asking what a deck's name is and what cards are in the deck...you know this, right? People often mix the two terms, but they do not mean the same thing.

don()shinobi said:
There's a very big difference in asking what a deck's name is and what cards are in the deck...you know this, right? People often mix the two terms, but they do not mean the same thing.
Nobody ever asks what the deck's name is. If they do, they're kinda stupid. When I ask "what deck are you playing?", I expect a reasonable answer. A silly name that begs the question won't help anyone really.

Back