Writing Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Author Address - August 14)

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Intermission 6-2)

I love escape scenes so much! Hopefully William will be alright on his own, and maybe he'll be able to give them the extra time they need. Something tells me they won't be getting very far though, since there's likely security cameras all over the place. Another good intermission section, Athena!

Kecleon-X said:
I noticed a few typos...

Yeah, I've been slacking off at post-production editing lately, so if you notice anything, feel free to point it out. As I read back over sections to try and remember what I've already written (yes, lol, I have to do this rather frequently), I catch things here and there and fix them as I go, but that's about it. <.<

That said, glad you guys are enjoying everything thus far. :D

A short update to swap back to our contestants for a moment. Probably won't be updating again tomorrow, though it's possible, but stay tuned regardless. :D We'll have our next update up next week at the latest.

Afternoon Tea

Idalia sipped her tea cautiously, half-listening to the story Kayla was sharing with Diamant and those around her, notably Ririka and the twins. Kayla’s boisterous voice now seemed twice as loud in the diminishing company of competitors in Diamant’s dining room, her laughter almost forced. Whereas before a half-dozen conversations may have been taking place at the table at any given point, aside from Kayla’s interview with Diamant, there were only some half-shared whispers between some other trainers. The emotional intensity of the room had been changing subtly from her first win, but she could tell now that the flip was just about complete. Excitement and confidence had turned to confusion and fear.

The winners were all huddled near Diamant’s end of the table, most of them quiet but subtly shaken. Only Tony’s fear was palpable, his hands and forehead sweating, his food barely touched. No doubt he was worried about what had happened to his young girlfriend who had so recently lost her match, but the competitors had learned during previous meals that questions about the condition and whereabouts of the losers were not to be tolerated, so he bore his inner turmoil in stoic silence.

Only four trainers had yet to prove themselves on the field, and all four were seated at the opposite end from the winners. Each of them was visibly nervous, and only Simian was eating, scooping a second helping of pasta salad onto his plate, complimenting his choice with a pumpkin scone.

Diamant himself seemed to be oblivious to the state of the room, smiling his winning smile as he bantered back and forth with Kayla, enjoying his own tea but avoiding any other food, as he had during all the previous meals. Wynand had already finished the story of his own battle and was slumped back in his seat, tiredly playing with the remains of his hummus on a plate, drawing small symbols with a leftover pita chip.

Idalia was drawn away from her reverie by a tug on her shorts. She looked down into the face of Alec, her Bellsprout, as he held up his empty makeshift plate. “Would you like anything else, Alec?” she asked, though the Pokémon replied negatively, wobbling its oversized head with a soft, sad honking sound. Unused to the strange schedule of the tournament compared to its normal life, the Pokémon was disoriented and dispirited. For a few fleeting moments, Idalia wished that she had taken the time to get Alec used to living in a Pokéball; having such a retreat would be a boon to him in times like this where his trainer was torn away from normality.

As if it could read her thoughts, Alec pouted distinctively at Idalia before curling up in a ball and taking a nap under the table. Alec disapproved strongly of Pokéballs and would likely rather experience a month’s worth of disorientating schedules rather than live in one. Idalia smiled wanly and reached down to pat its head.

Kayla’s story eventually tapered into uncomfortable silence, broken almost almost immediately by Diamont. With a clap of his hands, he stood up from the table, surveying them all with a strong gaze from his strange, dark eyes. “Only two more matches left for our first round. I hope you are all as excited to see our winners as I am. We will have a small, rooftop party in lieu of dinner for those who are still with us at the end of the day. May I wish you all the best of success and good fortune. Please take some additional time to relax in your rooms for the next hour as we prepare for the day’s final battles.”

Idalia reached beneath her seat and picked up the still-slumbering Alec, cradling it in her arms as she followed behind Diamont and the others to her door, and then behind her personal assistant to her room. Used to the smell of the forest and living off of the land, she disliked the confining, indoor room as much as her Bellsprout did, but if he could bear it for the tournament, so could she. As soon as the servant was gone, Idalia threw open the windows, breathing in the salty scent of the ocean. The view was an interesting one, showcasing exactly how large and sprawling the tournament complex really was. Although the island itself was a relatively small one, the entire thing seemed to be a part of the structure of the building, small windows and ventilation ducts visible to those who knew to look for them.

What is this place? she thought to herself idly, one hand stroking her long green braid. But with no further information to go on, she quickly lost interest on pondering the mysteries of the island, her gaze instead falling on the steady sea.

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Afternoon Tea)

Diamant himself seemed to be oblivious to the state of the room, smiling his winning smile as he bantered back and forth with Kayla, enjoying his own tea but avoiding any other food, as he had during all the previous meals.
Whoaaaa, man, is the food poisoned?

Or maybe they have tiny little tracking devices in the food. I'm callin' it now.

More like a calcium dose as to more accurately read brain waves (this is a cloning operation, after all), or being radioactive as to provide a both tracker, and a failsafe as to give them all a "self-destruct" timer, or to be a way to eliminate them quietly to make room for their doppelgangers with the cover story of "natural causes".

Sorry for the delay in updates, guys. :< I haven't forgotten this and I'm certainly not abandoning it, just been busy with other projects that have been taking up the free time that I usually use for writing. Updates will still be coming whenever I have the time to write them, so please stay tuned! <3

William awoke with a start, staring into a pair of dark eyes, their white pupils glinting into the light. He instantly recoiled from the strange face only to find his arms and legs tied down. Trapped! His body immediately panicked, struggling against the bonds before he consciously acknowledged any danger. With a deep breath, he forced his body to relax, slumping down against the bed his was in, his restraints relaxing.

The face with the weird eyes pulled back, revealing a head of medium-length red hair on a tall, built body dressed in leggings and a white coat. If it weren’t for the eyes, she might be somewhat attractive, but William had other things on his mind. He pulled his gaze away from her face and swept his eyes over the room, which appeared to be a laboratory of some sort. Unfortunately, being strapped down horizontally as he was, his view was rather limited, but it was better than nothing.

Done with his initial scope, he turned back to the woman, only to find her still next to his bedside, staring directly into his face. He arched an eyebrow. “Can I, uh, help you?”

The woman pursed her lips and walked around to the other side of the bed without an answer. She looked him up and down, focusing on his feet, then his groin, then his chest, and then back to his face, puckering her lips and tapping her cheek in an awkwardly forced look of confusion. “Can you do that thing again?” she asked. Her voice sounded familiar, though a bit strained.

“What thing?”

“That thing where you move yourself about, trying to escape.” In imitation, she waved her arms, mimicking his earlier thrashing.

“Oh, sure.” Confused but without much choice aside from playing along, William dutifully tugged on all of his restraining straps, pulling his arms up and kicking his legs. “Is this good?”

The woman watched him closely as he continued his bogus struggle, circling around the bed again. Finally, she sighed. “I don’t understand why you are so dangerous. Perhaps you could try again, harder?”

William cocked an eyebrow. “But I’m not dangerous.”

“No, I’m afraid you’re very dangerous.” She reached into a pocket of her jacket and pulled out a small notepad, flipping through it until she found the right page. “‘All arriving contestants are extremely dangerous and must be controlled or watched closely by personnel at all times.’ See? You’re not even just dangerous, but extremely dangerous. Esmeralda said so.”

“Who’s Esmeralda?”

“Oh, you’ll meet her soon enough.” She flipped the notepad closed and slipped it back into her pocket, eyeing him curiously.

Seeing a possible information course, William decided to turn up the charm, smiling wildly. “My name is William, what’s yours?”

“I’m JS.” She smiled back.

“Well, JS, since your instructions say to either restrain me or watch me, would you mind taking these straps off for a bit, if you’re planning on sticking around.”

She tapped her cheek again, as if thinking, then nodded. “Yes, that should be fine. I’m not sure how to shower or feed you while you’re tied up there anyway.” With deft fingers, she quickly released the restraints on the bed, and William was free.

He massaged his wrists and stretched his muscles slowly before turning to the side of the bed. The action made his head swim a bit, and he paused before stepping down to the floor. As he turned, he spied another girl on a bed up against the wall, similarly restrained. It was Alex, one of the other trainers, the girlfriend of the guy with the Grovyle. She was deep asleep, her breathing regular, and he could see the straps tying her arms and legs to the bed.

“Would you like shower first or food first?” JS asked, pulling his attention away from the sleeping Alex.

“Uh, shower, I think,” William said, realizing that he was dressed in a hospital gown, not in the clothes he had been wearing earlier. “I’d prefer to get properly dressed before eating, if you don’t mind.”

“No problem at all.” JS smiled. “Your clothing and effects are this way.” She turned around and let him to a separate room, one filled with lockers and showers.

William opened the locker that was assigned to him, finding a towel, some soap, and his own clothes and shoes, washed and pressed. William quickly grabbed his pants and starting digging through their copious pockets; aside from the Pokéball with his Breloom, everything else was in place. He quickly grabbed a pen from his upper left pocket and palmed it, then grabbed the soap and towel.

He turned around and gave a start again, as JS had walked up behind him so closely that their bodies were almost touching, and she was so silent on the tile floors that he hadn’t even noticed her approach. Thinking quickly, he asked, “Where is my Breloom? I thought the Pokéball was in my pocket.”

“Oh, it’s being cared for elsewhere, don’t worry. Do you need anything else for your shower?”

William blushed. “I guess it would be a bit much to ask for some privacy, wouldn’t it?”

JS gestured with her head towards the showers. “They have curtains, but I’m staying with you until you’re back in bed.”

William nodded and went into the closest shower stall, closing the curtain behind him. It wasn’t completely opaque; he could see the silhouette of J2 as she sat down on one of the benches in front of the lockers. With that in mind, he stripped quickly and turned on the water. Covering his motions with his body, he grabbed the pen and twisted it in half, revealing the electronics inside. He quickly fastened one end to his ear and stuck the patch of the other end to his throat. The communicator was one of the dorkiest-looking pieces of equipment he had, but it would allow him to communicate silently with his computer back in his room.

“Miku, do you read me?” he subvocalized, the device on his throat interpreting his motions and directing them towards his AI personal assistant.

“Reading you loud and clear, William,” Miku responded, her voice perky and cheerful as always.

“Can you run a locator and find my position.” As he talked and waited, William soaped up, cleaning his body and hair to avoid suspicion.

Within a moment, Miku replied. “Trace complete. You appear to be in the below sea level in this complex, in the northeast corner of the island. Our mapping project is still incomplete, but I can at least say with accuracy that you are in the basement.”

“What about Breloom?”

After a longer pause, Miku’s voice was back in his ear. “Trace complete. Breloom is approximately fifty-three degrees above you towards the south, and moving.”

“Moving?” William furrowed his brows and almost dropped the soap.

“Yes, he appears to be moving in a south-westerly direction at approximately 5.8 kilometres per hour.”

“Keep a monitor on him, ok?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Any luck breaking into the network?”

“I am still unable to even read the security parameters, let alone break them. I will need an access point to go any further.”

“And Diamant Industries?”

“As an exact match, the company doesn’t appear to exist on any public records, nor any of the private ones that I can break into. I’ve found several related companies, most French, but none seem to fit the profile.”

William had cleaned about everything he could clean, so he decided to cut the conversation short before JS got suspicious. “Over and out, Miku.”

“A pleasure to serve you, William,” she replied, her usual farewell, as William removed the ear- and throat-pieces under the pretence of rinsing his hair. Within seconds, it was back into its pen shape and held in his armpit while he dried himself off with a towel.

“Uh, JS?” He called out as he towelled off his hair. “Would you mind bringing my clothes next to the shower so I can get dressed in here.”

JS snorted. “I never thought you would be so modest,” she said curtly, but he could see her silhouette as she walked over to his locker and grabbed his clothes and shoes.

“Thanks.” He snuck a hand out and grabbed his clothes, dressing himself quickly and slipping the pen back in his pocket. Moments later, he was ready to go.

With a single nod, JS led him back out of the shower room, though the lab and over to the kitchenette. She sat down at a table and watched him carefully as he opened a can of soup and poured it into a microwave safe bowl. As the soup cooked, he looked through the cabinets and drawers, finding plastic spoons and crackers, but little else, and nothing he could possibly use to escape.

“You want anything?” He called out to JS.

“Oh, no, thank you,” she replied, watching him just as calmly and carefully as ever.

As William grabbed his hot bowl of soup, a spoon, and a package of crackers, he allowed himself a small sigh. He sat at the table next to JS and ate his lunch silently, pondering his options. The computers nearby would be just the access Miku needed, but his options of getting near them seemed slim. Did something happen that had caused such strict security?

Regardless, there was nothing he could do about it so soon. For now, he had his access to Miku, his brain, and a hot bowl of soup. It would have to do for the time being.

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Intermission 6-3)

So J2 and JS... Are they of the same model? The "J" part makes me think so, however the red hair makes me think of Ruby. But either way, I am excited to see how Terra ends up! Well, at least Skuntank carries Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Somesortoffiremove periodically to keep tabs on Steel Types, like Magnezone, so who knows?

"I never thought you would be so modest."

Does this count as one of those awkward moments? :p

My stories are sekritly full of lots of awkward moments. Mostly involving robots.

I did love the chapter, interesting to see the gadgets that William has.

Athena said:
My stories are sekritly full of lots of awkward moments. Mostly involving robots.

>sekritly

Athena said:

sGx39yA.gif

It's been so long since I've updated. T_T The good news is that the work that I had piling up is mostly all done now, so I'll have more time to focus on my writing. I hope to not go this long without an update ever again. The next chapter should be something of a breeze, though. :3

Round 1, Match 7

“You would do well to focus your thoughts on success…”

Lisa punched a wall in frustration, barely feeling the pain in her knuckles despite the dent she left in the soft walls. This entire thing was going to hell, and she felt powerless to stop it. Shirley was gone, and despite his posturing, Lisa didn’t really trust that Edward guy to do much of anything worthwhile.

How could she be expected to focus on a stupid Pokémon battle in this state?

Although no one was outright discussing it, there had definitely been an air of unease during the meal break. People disappearing left and right, and no one comfortable with the unexplained penalties of failure. This overpowering atmosphere of fear was something she had felt before, back after her father’s day, in her early days with the organization. It was not something she had ever hoped to experience again, and to be so powerless to do anything about it…

She snarled, pulling her hand back for another punch when a knock at the door caught her attention. It was time to go, her own battle had arrived.

Lisa strode through the hallways with her servant, exuding a confidence she only half felt. She did not expect to win the battle ahead, but in the end, it didn’t matter. Sooner or later she’d fall through the rabbit hole; it was only a matter of time. Why should she really care whether she won or lose? At least, in her apathy, she managed to avoid the crushing nerves that had been so visible on the faces of the previous battlers.

Looking into the eyes of Terra before their match, she saw the same fear again, her grey eyes bright and wide with manic anxiety. Terra had swapped her frilly dress and coifed hair for a pair of loose jeans, a stained t-shirt, and a sloppy ponytail, but the baggy nature of her clothing only seemed to accentuate her trembles. When the two contestants shook hands before the match, the younger trainer’s hand was slick with sweat.

That poor girl is scared to death of losing this match, Lisa thought to herself, stepping into position. It’s going to make her sloppy. If she were to think of this match rationally, she’d see she has the upper hand over me, but she’s so consumed by her own fear, there’s no way she’s thinking rationally. I guess that just might give us the edge.

Lisa listened to the voices over the loudspeaker only long enough to confirm the arena typing and then tuned out the rest of the chatter, focusing herself for the upcoming match. When she heard Kayla ask for another ice-type level, she expected a repeat of the first arena, but soon found herself unpleasantly surprised.

As Lisa’s platform rose towards the sky, so did a large field of jaggy, rugged stalagmites made of ice. Only small patches of ground were large enough to move on, and those were slippery with ice. As she focused on the growing stadium, she saw a few drops of snow fall on some of the outcroppings and snapped her head up. Sure enough, despite the blue skies, snow was beginning to blow around the field, and a blast of icy wind made her shiver for a moment. Gritting her teeth, she zipped up her jacket and glared in the direction of Diamont’s box.

Across the field, she could make out the figure of Terra even through the snow. She released her Magnezone out into the field, its metal body hovering quietly over the icy spikes. With a calming sigh, Lisa pulled out her own Pokéball and released Skuntank out onto the field.

In some ways, the snow worked to their advantage. Although it made the terrain difficult to move through, Skuntank could still keep its feet without slipping and sliding, and so their speed advantage would not be completely nullified. Magnezone, of course, had no problems with the ice, but the blowing wind and snow would keep it off balance. All in all, not a bad trade-off…

Lisa started off the battle confidently, casually tossing her Pokéball down into the field of ice and snow. Skuntank certainly wouldn’t be happy with the weather, but he’s battled in harsher climes, and immediately he began to hop around the field, trying to find a good footing. As soon as he seemed settled, Lisa called out their first attack, “Skuntank, start off with your Smogscreen!”

Immediately, Skuntank let loose with the poisonous double attack, a thick, noxious cloud emitting from its body in all directions. With the strong winds, the benefits wouldn’t last long, and of course Magnezone was immune to the poison in the cloud, but the distraction might be enough to buy time more devastating moves.

“Tinker, are you okay?!” Terra’s voice had a hint of hysteria, but she quickly proved she was more than a panicking maiden with her next move. “Use your Discharge attack!”

The Magnezone immediately let loose a large blast of electricity, multiple lightning bolts emitting from its body in all directions. It may have been blinded by smoke and buffeted by winds, but there was no need to aim with Discharge. The large scale nature of the attack made both the winds and Skuntank’s smoke defences almost meaningless.

Thankfully, the skunk Pokémon was able to duck behind its outcropping of ice and avoid the attack, though Lisa still cursed. Skuntank’s poison moves were useless, and its evasion and accuracy moves would have little effect against such wide-range moves. Things were looking grim. Then again, if Magnezone’s not being hindered by the winds, I don’t see why we have to put up with them either. We’re going to have to start doing some damage sooner or later, after all “Skuntank, use Sunny Day!”[/i]

Skuntank began howling and raised its snout towards the sky. Its body began glowing lightly and a bean of light shot from its mouth. Soon, the sun began shining brighter and the winds began to die down. One part of the hellish arena had been calmed.

Terra was quick to take advantage of the reprieve. “Tinker, get out of that cloud and move up! Hit that Skuntank with your Thunderbolt!”

Magnezone quickly rose up in the air, its body beginning to spark as it gathered up the electrical energy for the attack. However, the time it spent escaping the cloud of smog was enough for Skuntank to begin evasive manoeuvres, jumping and dodging through the snow. By the time Magnezone began its rain of attacks, Skuntank was blazing around so quickly that it managed to avoid all of them.

When the Magnezone stopped to recharge, Lisa knew the time was right. “Skuntank, hit it with a Flamethrower!”

Skuntank did a hairpin turn around a hill of snow and jumped up on a rock outcropping, blasting into the air with a searing fire attack. The move obviously caught the opposing Pokémon by surprise, hitting it square in the body with devastating force. Sparks started flying all over the field as the Magnezone was blasted out of control by the force of the attack, spinning down below into a pile of snow and ice.

“Tinker!!” Terra’s voice was pure panic, for both herself and her Pokémon. Lisa could make her out across the field now that the snow had stopped falling; she was clenching tightly onto the support fence for her platform, and she was leaning forward so closely that she looked about ready to fall over. “Get up! Discharge! Do something!”

The Magnezone struggled its way out of the snow and resumed another Discharge attack, but once again, it was too slow. Skuntank had long since hidden behind another ice formation, one that was beginning to melt in the heat of the sun. The Magnezone was clearly disoriented and so was its trainer.

Lisa smirked. She hadn’t thought it was possible, but it looked like she was going to pull off the battle after all. “Finish it off with another Flamethrower!”

Skuntank instantly complied, jumping up from behind its cover and sending another blast of flame at its opponent. The heat of the attack melted all of the snow on and around the Magnezone and also burnt it badly, sending it careening off into a large chunk of ice. With a loud crunch it smashed through the ice and came to a standstill, its body inert and sparking.

“The battle is concluded. Lisa is the winner.”

As soon as the announcement came, Terra flung herself over the edge and ran towards her Pokémon, slipping and sliding in the melting snow and ice. Lisa was a bit calmer, waiting for her platform to descend, and then walking over to where Skuntank was sitting patiently.

“You did a good job today Skuntank, I’m proud of you.” She allowed herself a slight smile and patted the Pokémon on its head before withdrawing it back into its Pokéball. When she looked up, Safiri was standing in front of her, hands crossed demurely in front of her waist.

Lisa smirked. “I thought you liked to escort the losers.”

Safiri smiled and bowed her head. “I asked Ruby to switch. I wanted to congratulate you on your success. Please, follow me to our Pokémon Center.”

As Lisa allowed herself to be led away, she caught a quick glimpse of Terra, sobbing on Ruby’s shoulder. The red-haired women seemed to soothe her, patting her back gently and leading her towards the doors. Perhaps it was best that the two women switched after all. Lisa could never picture Safiri as warm or comforting, and Terra seemed to need that right now.

Sorry, Shirley… guess you’ll have to stay without me for another round.

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Round 1, Match 7)

As soon as my like button comes back, I'm adding a like to that.
Finally an update! Good work Athena, don't forget the little people!

Don't worry, you all are definitely not forgotten. :D Just the pile up of other work (PokéBeach related and elsewhere) got too much and swamped me, but that's all done and behind me now. I think I'm going to shoot for a realistic goal of an update per week, with maybe more updates for the "easier" chapters. Battle chapters are the hardest because I have to research what the Pokémon can do and such before and during the writing process. I'm also getting to the point where I have to cross-reference back to other chapters frequently to figure out what I've already said and not said about some things (mostly applicable to the basement bunch). Next chapter is Basement Bunch 2, then the last battle of the 1st Round, then SOMETHING NEW. I'm very excited.

Glad to see another update! The battle chapters are always the best. And it looks like Jeremy and Simian are the only ones left to battle... I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Great work as always, Athena!

Heh, I'm glad you like the battle chapters. I'm still not quite sure if I'm writing them well, but so long as people like them, I must be doing something right. :D

Overly Competitive Player: "She has no idea of battles."
Reasonable Guy: "She definitely can make it seem lively!"

Allow me to praise your effort. You're definitely good at making atmosphere. Your descriptions are quite nice, if I may say so myself. I wish I could be that good...
Keep it up! And by the way, the last sentence was supposed to be italics, right?

Chaos Jackal said:
Overly Competitive Player: "She has no idea of battles."
Reasonable Guy: "She definitely can make it seem lively!"

Allow me to praise your effort. You're definitely good at making atmosphere. Your descriptions are quite nice, if I may say so myself. I wish I could be that good...

Haha, yeah, there's no way any of these battles are anything close to how things would really go from a video game perspective. Instead, I'm more or less basing them off of the battles you see in the anime, just slightly more realistic. Because the winners were all randomly determined, sometimes there are upsets, like this most recent battle of course. And the mindset of the trainers also comes into play more than it does in the VG; Terra probably would have performed a lot better if she weren't fighting down panic the whole fight. That might have been more obvious and explored more in depth had the battle happened from her perspective, but of course there's still more to come, too. :)

Keep it up! And by the way, the last sentence was supposed to be italics, right?

Whoops! Yes, thanks for catching. Stupid tag fail.

lolol Modest 252 Sp. Atk Sunny Day Flamethrower with Weakness: GG No Re :p

At least Terra didn't get Burn Hax! :p

Ah well! Looks like both of my characters were losses; I don't know why, but I kind of had a gut feeling this would happen. :s But about Terra herself, I had always pictured her as a more headstrong, cool under pressure kind of girl. But nevertheless interesting take on her character! I had left open a couple of options when it came to her tinkering with... Well, Tinker, meaning that the Pokemon had the possibility to have moves that it wouldn't normally have or abilities that it wouldn't usually be able to use, just because she always messes with it! But either way, an interesting take on Terra, and a good chapter over all.

We'll see Terra more down below, no worries. :p

Back