Writing Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Author Address - August 14)

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Intermission 4-1)

Wonderful chapter! I don't know if I want Anthony to win or lose now. The more he wins, the greater the guilt of not earning his place. If he loses, though, he'd feel better about basically moving onto the next round automatically.

Same for Alex. I almost want her to lose so Tony can be in even more pain and we can see how he reacts. If she wins, then that's good, but if she loses, then it will be interesting to see how Tony takes it.

So close, Leon. So very close. At this point, it's hard to trust anyone--even the contestants.

Star Wars Mysteries of the Forgotten Island: The Clone Wars.
Assuming, of course, J2 is a Juliet clone and uses Milotic to rule the world with Diamont. I suspect their next experiment will be another clone as well. Creepy.

Intermission 4-2 is here and ready. Enjoy!

Intermission 4-2

“Miss Esmeralda, what are you doing?” Juliet cried out as the woman and one of her assistants, a strong yet slender man by the name of Green, entered into one of the chambers that were part of the laboratory complex. Green had been carrying the prone form of one of the other trainers in his arms, the one Esmeralda had been so concerned about.

As someone born as raised in a scientific household, Juliet had recognized and sympathized with Esmeralda almost immediately, more than any of the other contestants probably would. Like many scientists, she was very focused and often came across as blunt and cold to others. She and Shirley had already butted heads and likely would continue to do so.

As a result, Juliet was startled and a bit confused by Esmeralda’s emotional reaction to her short conversation with Safiri when Edward was brought in. Fearing the worst, she had run to get Shirley, only to be greeted with a door slammed in her face when the two went to help.

Shirley sighed, blowing a stray strand of hair away from her face. “Well, that was anticlimactic.”

“That’s the room they put Leon in,” Juliet explained, a look of worry on her face. “I haven’t seen or heard him since he was brought in there.”

“Maybe that’s where they put all the troublemakers.” Shirley smirked. “I wonder how long it’ll be before I end up in there.”

Juliet shot her a hurt look. “I thought you said you’d stick around and play nice to help me out.”

Before Shirley could answer, the door swung open again and Esmeralda emerged, looking a bit flustered but no worse for the wear. “I’m going to run some prelims on our new friend here, Juliet. I want you to show Shirley around the lab, see if you can find something she’s familiar with that she might be able to help with.”

Shirley watched Esmeralda leave, waiting to speak until the woman was out of the room and out of sight. “She’s certainly pleasant,” she commented, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Juliet shrugged, well aware that the deficit of people skills that such scientists possessed usually rubbed others the wrong way. “She’s just focused is all. From what I understand, she has a lot to do over the next few days while the tournament is on.”

“But you don’t know what, aside from that it has something to do with us?”

Juliet nodded, walking over to the computer bank. “Well, we don’t have anything better to do, so why don’t I show you around?”

She led Shirley around the room, carefully describing the various machines and their functions to the best of her ability. Most of the information she shared was just parroted from Esmeralda’s explanation the previous night, since the vast majority of the machinery was beyond even her knowledge. The laboratory was more sophisticated than anything Juliet had ever dreamed of, though it seemed Shirley was much less impressed. Oftentimes, Juliet broke off an explanation to stop her from touching something she shouldn’t, or call her back from wandering off to look at something else.

“Now, this computer here is used to process the algorithms that…” she trailed off when she noticed Shirley wasn’t even listening. In fact, the other woman had walked across the room, staring intently at one of the large tubes lining the area by the beds. “Shirley, what are you doing over there?”

“It’s different,” Shirley replied almost to herself, her hands pressed up against the glass. “Something’s happening.”

As Juliet walked over, she could see immediately that Juliet was right. Previously the liquid in the tube had been flowing very rapidly downwards in the tube, but now the liquid was sitting still and beginning to separate, dark green matter floating to the bottom in chunks while clear water filtered to the top.

Shirley cringed. “What the hell is that gunk in there? It looks disgusting.”

“I-I don’t know,” Juliet admitted. Esmeralda hadn’t said anything about the tubes to her. She’d wondered about them initially, but after exploring the rest of the laboratory and working with Esmeralda, her curiosity had worn off in the face of other exciting technology. Now, she wished she’d paid more attention.

Juliet and Shirley watched in horrified fascination as the green and clear liquid drained out of the bottom of the tube, revealing the slumped form of a woman inside. She was naked, with long dark hair and pale skin and a look of curiosity about her face. Once the liquid was completely gone from the tank, she raised a hand to press a combination on the glass walls, and a section of the tube slid into the floor allowing her to leave. As she stepped out of the cylinder, she turned and locked eyes with Juliet.

Juliet stared back at the face in front of her, unable to move or breathe. After a few moments, she finally croaked out, “It… It’s me…”

But it wasn’t her, not exactly. The more she looked, the more differences she found. The mystery woman certainly looked like her, maybe a sibling or even a twin, but she was taller, her face more angular, her limbs more muscular, her hair longer and fuller. She had the same birthmark – a small, butterfly-shaped pink patch on her right shoulder – but not the scar she wore on her knee from a biking accident when she was a kid. And rather than having the same grey eyes that Juliet shared with her brother, the woman’s eyes were pure black with small white pupils in the center.

“Oh, good, J2 is finally awake.”

Juliet whirled around to look at the smiling face of Esmeralda who had just reentered the lab from the other room. Without even acknowledging Juliet and Shirley, she quickly walked over to the woman and began examining her, feeling her arms, looking into her mouth and eyes. The naked woman complied without complaint, or any kind of speech at all.

“Esmeralda, what is this woman?” Juliet asked, a tremor in her voice. “Is she… some kind of clone of me?”

“Sort of,” Esmeralda replied as she inspected the woman’s teeth. “J2 is a biot. We did use your DNA, but made a few enhancements, like getting rid of your pesky eye problem.”

“A biot, right,” Shirley said skeptically. “Some kind of robot?”

“Oh, no, she’s fully alive, just as much as you and me. In fact, she’s biologically older than Juliet by about six years, thanks to the wonders of accelerated cell growth.” Esmeralda put down her tool and pulled out a stethoscope, listening intently to J2’s heart, or whatever else J2 might have in her chest cavity. “Of course, that doesn’t mean she’s completely human either. Bones take too long to grow and strengthen, so hers is made out of a titanium alloy. She has implanted memories and a few other genetic modifications, things that would be a bit too difficult to accomplish with a purely human base.”

With every word Esmeralda said, Juliet’s knees grew weaker and weaker. Some kind of clone cyborg grown out of her cells? It was too much to cope with. She frantically felt around until her arms clutched onto a nearby stool and she sat down gratefully. None of this should be possible. Science had made a few successful cloning attempts, but nothing nearly on this scale, or as quickly. What was going on here?

Shirley on the other hand seemed to be taking the news a bit more calmly. She learned against one of the other tubes, watching intently while Esmeralda worked. “So, you going to make one of those out of me, too?”

Esmeralda looked up at Shirley and shook her head. “Purely you? No. J2 was a test case, to make sure everything was working properly, and to give me another assistant.” She removed the stethoscope and put in back in her bag, standing up and walking over to a nearby counter. From one of the drawers she pulled out a simple dress and a lab coat, and handed both over to J2. The biot grabbed them with shaky hands and started getting dressed.

Esmeralda watched J2 dressing very carefully, one handing tapping notes into her tablet as she spoke her thoughts aloud. “She seems a bit unsteady, disoriented. Perhaps we need to adjust the pressure of the fluid to account for the altitude…”

“Esmeralda…” Juliet began meekly, working up the courage to ask her question. “Why did you make… Why did you make J2 out of me?”

The other woman shrugged. “You were first.”

“But why are you making them at all?”

Esmeralda looked over at Juliet with pity in her eyes. “It’s what Mr. Diamant wants. This is his backup plan.”

“His backup plan?”

“Yes, to own and control the most powerful Pokémon trainer.”

We'll be back to battling with the next update of Wynand vs. William. Stay tuned!

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Intermission 4-2)

Keeper of Night said:
Star Wars Mysteries of the Forgotten Island: The Clone Wars.

Anyway, great chapter! Looking forward to the next one. ;)

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Intermission 4-2)

Round 1, Match 5 is ready and waiting. Enjoy!

Round 1, Match 5: Wynand vs. William Conor

Wynand leaned back in his chair and laughed heartily at the tale Claire and Clyde were sharing at the far end of the lunch table. While few of the competitors knew each other before the tournament, all of them had one thing in common: a strong love of Pokémon. Even with no other similarities, this one fact was enough to bring them all together and Wynand reveled in the camaraderie. During lunch, each of them had taken turns sharing the funniest stories that had happened to them during their Pokémon training.

“So then… so then this kid…” Claire, already smiling so broadly her face seems about to split open, stops to giggle, unable to contain her amusement at the story. “This kid, he cries out ‘You have yet to see the depths of my power, silly human!’ and he pulls out,” more laughter, “he pulls out a Pokéball and sends out a Metapod!”

The end of the table erupts in laughter as Wynand reaches across and starts making himself another sandwich and Clyde breaks in to continue the story. The twins’ tale of relentless bug catcher was one of the best one’s they’d had so far and everyone was enjoying it.

Wynand smiled and munched as he listened to Clyde finish the story, but his mind had already wandered towards the upcoming match. It was his turn to compete now, and he fingered the Pokéball in his pocket in anticipation. His match was against William, the rather serious young man sitting across the table and a few seats down. William was eagerly listening to the twins’ story, just as he had all the others, though he had yet to share a story of his own. Wynand was kind of hoping he would have by now so he could get an idea of the other boy’s Pokémon and fighting styles, but time was beginning to run out. Over half the food was gone and people were beginning to push their plates away.

While he would never admit it aloud, Wynand was a bit nervous about the upcoming battle. Sure, he and Torch were good, very good. They’d been a team for most of his life and all of the Charizard’s, ever since he was an egg. They hadn’t lost a single match while they were completing in the Kanto Pokémon League, but it had been a long time since he had participated in a League. Since then they’d competed in a number of battles, but just for fun, and rarely any battle as difficult or memorable as fighting against a Gym Leader.

He tuned out Clyde’s voice and focused on William, trying to read what he could of him. Of all the trainers in their age group, he seemed the most serious and down to earth. He hadn’t bragged about his Pokémon or his battles. In fact, he hardly talked about himself at all. Most of the other trainers were eager to share tidbits about their life and adventures, but William was content to listen and smile, adding very little himself.

It could just be that he’s a quiet person and a good listener, but… No, Wynand shook his head. He couldn’t fool himself that easily. William playing his cards this close to his chest meant that he simply wanted to retain all advantages he could. Once the coming battle was over, of course, everyone would know about his chosen Pokémon and battle style.

But Wynand, his first opponent, would be going against him blind.

Maybe I shouldn’t have been so forthcoming, he thought to himself with a sigh. He had been so excited that he couldn’t help sharing and chatting with anyone and everyone. He’d shown off his Charizard to everyone at the beach, excited for the coming tournament. He liked talking with others and sharing stories and comparing Pokémon, but his social skills might have put him at a severe disadvantage in this match.

Wynand was just finishing his sandwich when Diamant stood and announced the return to the stadium. The other contestants wished both him and William luck as they all filed out of the dining room and into the confusing labyrinth of corridors and stairwells.

By accident or design, Wynand and William ended up walking together through the hallways in the very back of the group. For once, Wynand’s social skills failed him as he tried to think up some sort of conversation topic to last throughout the long trek to the arena. Everything he could think of sounded too trite, or felt too much like blatant fishing that he just gave up and walked next to the other boy in silence, not expecting William himself to be the one to start up a conversation.

“Shirley, the woman who lost yesterday, and Lisa, the purple-haired older woman,” William said, breaking the silence between them, “do you know them at all? Have you talked to them?”

Wynand had to think for a moment, caught off guard by the question. “Shirley I talked to a bit yesterday during dinner, just chatting. She’s a pretty accomplished trainer, actually, won the Unova League last year. Knowing that, it kind of surprised me when she lost earlier.” He shrugged. “That’s all I know, and Lisa I haven’t shared a single word with. She’s kind of standoffish. The two seem to be friends I guess, but anyone could tell you that.”

“You’ve never seen them before the tournament, though, right?”

“Well, on the beach, but yeah, nothing before then, no.”

William nodded and pursed his lips, digesting the information. After a few moments, he spoke up again. “Where are you from?”

“I was born on the Sevii Islands, but I do a lot of traveling these days. I guess I still consider Fortune Island my home, but I’m not there most months out of the year.” Wynand smiled, thinking of his home, and also enjoying the conversation, glad to have finally found an easy subject to talk about. “What about you?”

“I was born in Canalave, in Sinnoh,” William replied, a faraway look in his eye, “though I live in Solaceon now.”

“Sinnoh, huh.” Wynand stroked his chin. “Haven’t made it out there yet myself, though I hope to make it at some point. The photos I’ve seen of Mt. Coronet look beautiful, and of course there’s some Pokémon you can only find there.”

“Yeah, Sinnoh’s great,” William smiled, “and I’m not just saying that because of my home. I guess if you’ve not been there, though, you wouldn’t know anything about Team Galactic.”

“Team Galactic?” Wynand searched his memory. “I think I remember seeing something about them on the news, but I don’t remember much. That was Sinnoh?”

William nods. “It was pretty rough for a while, but we’re all back to normal now, have been for a couple years.”

“Yeah, we had a bit of trouble with Team Rocket on the Islands back when I first started traveling, so I kinda know what you went through.”

Their conversation led them all the way to the doors to the arena. The other contestants were heading up the stairs to the stands already, and Safiri was waiting for them, holding open the doorway, a look of impatience on her face. Both trainers picked up the pace, dropping their conversation and walking quickly through the doors and to the field.

“Well, I guess this is it.” Wynand turned around and offered his hand to William. “It’s been nice chatting with you. Good luck in the battle.”

“Thanks, I’ll need it,” William replied with a wry grin, grabbing Wynand’s hand and shaking it warmly. “You too, okay?”

Wynand smiled back and headed off to his side of the field. Their lunch was a bit earlier in the day than he was used to eating, so the sun was still almost directly overhead, giving neither side an advantage. As he walked, he couldn’t help but wonder about William’s parting remark. Maybe all of his talk about his Pokémon and his exploits as a trainer had actually made the other boy a bit nervous? I guess I’ll be finding out soon, one way or the other.

Like the previous matches, the last victor was allowed to pick the match style, and Tony was already standing up in the stands, microphone in hand, as Wynand and William took their seats. “Hey guys, well, I thought for this battle that a Steel-type based stadium would be cool, if you can do that. Thanks.”

A Steel-type stadium? What would that even look like? Wynand looked up towards the announcers booth, only to see the red-haired woman pressing buttons and getting things ready while Diamant watched. Well, I guess I’ll see soon enough. Since Torch can just stick to the air, I guess it doesn’t affect me much anyway, but still...

Wynand gripped tightly onto the protective fence as the platform began to rise into the air, just like the others did. As he rose, he looked down anxiously towards the field, waiting to see what kind of a stadium would be popping up. The ground split open revealing a smooth, metal surface, but that was all; no decorations, no protrusions, nothing complicated, just a metal floor.

Well, that’s kind of disappointing, Wynand thought to himself as he reached for his Pokéball. After the previous stages with the vines and the mountain and all other cool things, he’d hoped for something a bit more interesting, even though an open field was actually to Torch’s advantage. I guess I’ll take what I can get.

“Go Torch!” He called out, tossing his Pokéball onto the field and releasing his Charizard out onto the field. Like the showman he was, Charizard came out of his ball in style, flying up in the air and spinning around before diving to the ground and landing with a gracious twist.

“Go Breloom!” William called out from the other side of the stadium, and suddenly Wynand knew why the other boy had been so desperate for luck.

He watched as William’s Breloom landed on the opposite side of the field, its small yet powerful form still dwarfed by Charizard’s imposing presence. As a combination Grass- and Fighting-type Pokémon, it would be weak against all Charizard’s best moves, and had few options for taking down a Fire- or Flying-typing opponent.

As soon as both Pokémon touched down on the metal floor, a shuddering filled the area. Suddenly, the floor split up into several squares, each moving up and down at different speeds like simple elevators. Torch was caught with two feet each on a different platform and quickly flew into the air as one started moving up while the other dropped down into the depths below the arena. The Breloom, on the other hand, quickly shot up into the sky on one of the faster moving platforms and was holding on tight to the edge.

Well, this stadium just got a bit more interesting. Wynand grinned and called out “Torch, let’s start off with a Flamethrower!”

Flying around in the air, the Pokémon nodded once curtly and then dived back towards the stadium, headed straight for the platform the Breloom was on. Seeing the Charizard diving right at it, the Breloom freaked out and jumped into the air, falling off the platform and dodging the attack more by accident than by skill. It squealed as it fell, but managed to grab onto another platform down below before disappearing into the bowels of the stadium.

“Breloom, once you get up, nail that Charizard with Spore!”

The Breloom waggled its legs a bit but was finally able to pull itself back onto its new platform. It waited until the platform was pretty high in the air before concentrating hard and releasing a huge cloud of yellow spores into the air.

“Torch, fly under it and see if you can get away!” Wynand called out, though he secretly doubted that the bulky Charizard would be able to avoid the spores, no matter how fast it could fly. The Breloom had timed the attack just right and the spores were filling the area. Wynand felt a couple land on his nose and he sneezed.

Sure enough, Torch tried to fly under and around, but as soon as he popped up from beneath one of the far platforms, the spores his him too. He fought against the effects of the spores, trying to land and get a hold of itself, but the best it could manage was a graceful crash into one of the larger middle platforms and then it was snoring.

“Torch, wake up!” Wynand called out, banging his hands angrily on the protective fence, but it was no use; Torch was out cold.

Feeling a bit more confident now that it’s opponent was temporarily unthreatening, the Breloom waddled and jumped across the platforms, getting up closer to the Charizard, likely preparing for a physical attack of some sort. Despite their Grass-type origins, Breloom were very strong and usually better suited towards direct attacks.

“Breloom, get in close and give it a taste of your Mach Punch!”

With sudden speed, Breloom leaped off his current platform and glided towards Torch, its fist beginning to glow a bright white. It landed on the platform and struck the Charizard quickly and fiercely on the neck, knocking the sleeping Pokémon over onto its back. It repeated the move a few times, flipping and flying through the air before each strike, the smaller Pokémon gaining confidence with each hit on its slumbering opponent. After the 3rd hit, The Breloom touched down on the platform and immediately howled in anger and pain, leaping off the platform for another.

Huh, why’d it run away like that? Wynand wondered, peering in to get a close look at the area, wishing he had a pair of binoculars. He couldn’t be sure, but he thought the platform was a bit of a different colour from the others, with a bit of an orange tint…

Suddenly, it hit him. Torch’s tail! When Breloom had knocked the Charizard over, it had flipped onto its back so its tail was pressed up against the platform. Torch himself was used to extreme temperatures, so it wouldn’t bother him, but the intense flames of his tail must heave heated up the metal platform to the point where contact was painful for the Breloom.

“Torch, come on, you can wake up! Fight it!” Wynand yelled, hoping to get his Pokémon back on its feet before William and the Breloom could think up another plan and regroup.

In response, Torch yawned and rolled back over onto his belly.

“Breloom, hit it with your Bullet Seed!”

Now located on a different platform one row over, the Breloom waited again until the platform rose to an optimal position, and then started spitting out seeds towards the Charizard. The seeds seemed to have little effect until one hit Torch in the eye and the Pokémon was instantly awake, roaring and blasting fire into the air. Breloom’s eye rose comically before it scampered away onto another platform further from the rampaging Charizard.

“That’s it, Torch, good boy!” Wynand shouted, whooping with glee. “Now, hit that Breloom with your Flamethrower!”

Charizard calmed down with an effort and snorted towards Wynand, then it went racing back off to the platforms, flying up, down, and around them to spot the fleeing Breloom. It finally found it sprawled on one of the slower platforms heading skyward and it send a burst of flame from its mouth in the direction of the smaller Pokémon.

Breloom had no opportunity to dodge this time, and the blast hit it full on, covering the Pokémon in a small inferno of flame and knocking it off the edge. The blackened Breloom was still lucid, however, and managed to scramble onto another platform, this one heading down, further away from Torch with every second.

“Breloom, hold in there! You’re doing just fine! Hit that Charizard with a Sky Uppercut!”

This time, the lower platform worked in the Breloom’s favour. The Breloom’s fist started glowing white again and it jumped upward, gaining momentum as it flew towards Torch, hitting it with a power punch that sent the larger Pokémon spiraling into the air. As soon as the attack connected, Breloom scrambled back down again, losing itself in the platforms in a quick attempt to evade retaliation from the Charizard.

Wynand gritted his teeth, getting annoyed at the fast hit-and-run tactics of the Breloom. Its attacks weren’t particular effective against Torch, but they were still wearing it out and dragging out the match, and Wynand was ready to end this and win it.

“Torch, get ready for your Flare Blitz!”

Torch instantly obeyed, flying up into the air. As its body built up power, it began to glow a bright orange and it flew in circles, looking for the concealed Breloom. As soon as it spotted its small form huddled on one of the raising platforms it roared and red flames engulfed its body. It dove straight downward, leaving a trail of flames in its wake, and it slammed into the Breloom with so much force that the platform it was on went flying away towards the stands.

As soon as the glare of the attack began to fade, Torch was visible flying above the platforms, a satisfied look on its face. Breloom was nowhere to be seen.

“Breloom, where are you?” William called out from the other side of the stadium, looking eagerly around for his Pokémon.

Slowly, another platform began to raise back up from inside the innards of the stadium, an unconscious and blackened Breloom lying facedown in the middle.

“The battle is concluded,” the red-haired woman in the announcer’s box called over the intercom. “Wynand is the winner.”

Wynand whooped again, waving his arms exciting towards his Pokémon. Torch gave off a blast of flame and then flew around the stadium in a victory lap before flying back in towards it trainer for recall.

“You did a great job out there, buddy,” Wynand praised as he withdrew the Charizard back into its ball. He waited patiently while his platform moved slowly back towards the ground and the arena withdrew itself back to its default settings.

He began to walk over the grass, heading towards the middle of the field where William was kneeling next to his Pokémon. He pet the Breloom lovingly before withdrawing it back into its Pokéball, then stood up. Wynand was surprised to see tears glistening in his eyes, but he tried to keep it from showing.

“Great match,” he said, holding his hand out for another shake. “This was an unfortunate match up for you, but you did an amazing job out there. You even had me worried a few times!”

William gave him a wan smile and accepted the handshake, though his hands were sweaty and his shake less firm than it had been earlier. “Thanks. I guess that luck you gave me wasn’t quite enough.” He turned over his shoulder at Safiri and the red-haired announcer approaching. “Listen, would you promise me something?”

“Sure,” Wynand answered, surprised at the offer. “What do you want?”

William jerked his head in the direction of the stands. “Keep an eye open for Team Galactic for me, would you?” Without another word of explanation, he turned and walked towards Safiri, Pokéball clenched tightly in his hand.

I still have another ~3k words left to hit my quota, so expect the next intermission tomorrow or maybe even later this afternoon/evening, since I'm going to keep plugging along.

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Round 1, Match 5)

And Intermission 5 is here! I thought about waiting to post it until tomorrow, but I'll be busy, and I'm always forgetful, so I may as well just post it now to let you guys enjoy.

Intermission 5

Shirley sat on a stool by the computer bank forgotten by everyone else in the room as J2 stood up and performed a few simple actions at the instruction of Esmeralda. Stand up, walk here, pick this up, turn in a circle. With each movement, the biot seemed to move more fluidly and surely, almost like it was warming up. Eventually Esmeralda led it over towards the kitchenette area and started giving it other commands, watching carefully and taking notes as it prepared some kind of food.

Feeling both bored and weirded out, Shirley turned her attention from the biot towards Juliet who was slumped over her own stool like a kicked puppy. She got up and walked over towards the younger girl, laying a comforting hand on her shoulder. “It’s gotta be weird seeing a robot clone version of yourself walking around, but if it makes you feel any better, I think you’re prettier. For some reason, looking into that things face gives me the creeps.”

Juliet smiled and wiped a tear from her eyes. “Thanks, I guess.”

Shirley frowned at the sight of the tears in the young scientist’s eyes. “It’s not really upsetting you that much, is it?”

“Well, I… it’s just… I….” Juliet’s voice trailed off as she searched for the words to explain her feelings. “What’s going to happen to all of us?”

Shirley was confused for a moment until she realized just how far ahead Juliet was thinking and where her concerns lie. She wasn’t worried about the biot, or whatever other stages they would be building, monstrosities they might be building in this lab. She wasn’t even concerned with what Diamant wanted this ultimate Pokémon Trainer for, or how he planned to get it and why. Instead, she was concerned for the future of the contestants lives, likely picturing them spending the rest of their lives as lab rats to fuel blood and tissue samples to create and maintain these creatures if Diamant’s plan came to fruition.

What hit Shirley the hardest was that she hadn’t thought about those things, hadn’t considered her own life, or Juliet’s, or any of the other trainers, not even Lisa. As soon as she heard Esmeralda calmly discussion the reasons for the creation of the biot, her mind was immediately consumed with plans, trying to figure out how she could stop Diamant and figure out whatever information she could. She was focused on results, not on people, just like she always had been, and the realization hit her like a punch to the gut.

Feeling suddenly protective of Juliet, Shirley gave the girl a strong, one-armed hug. “Don’t worry. We’ll figure out a plan to stop all this and get everyone out. We’ve still got allies on the other side, and while we’re down here we will do whatever we can to come up with a solution.”

Juliet nodded and sniffed and then suddenly turned and flung both of her arms around Shirley in a tight hug. “Thanks, Shirley, I don’t think I’d be able to do this without you.”

Shirley smiled. “No worries, you won’t have to. Now chin up, Green Hair is coming back.”

Recognizing Shirley’s pet name for Esmeralda, Juliet turned around and watched as she and J2 walked towards them from the kitchenette, J2 carefully carrying a tray with a bowl of soup and some crackers.

Shirley frowned and nudged Juliet. “Hey, you never offered me any crackers.”

As J2 turned in the direction of the room that held Leon and Edward, Esmeralda angled over towards Shirley and Juliet, her face beaming. “She’s coming along pretty remarkably actually. A few small bugs, but nothing unmanageable.”

“Have you been building these things for long?” Shirley asked, hoping that her prying for information wasn’t as transparent as it sounded, or that Esmeralda was dumber than she looked.

Esmeralda looked over at her with a quirked eyebrow. “For quite a few years, yes. The technology improves with each generation, so I’m rather pleased. Some of the earliest biots are barely functional compared to the more advanced later models.” She sighed. “Of course, there is the annoyance factor in the knowledge that you’re building something more sophisticated than yourself, but, well, we all make sacrifices for science.”

“You think that silent, walking mannequin is ‘more sophisticated’ than a human being?” Shirley asked, scowling.

“Oh, but of course.” Esmeralda looked surprised that she would disagree on that point. “After that, that is the whole point of genetic modifications. I would agree that it’s impossible to build something superior to a human from scratch, but simple modifications allow you to erase the negative and enhance the positives, so it’s very useful.”

Shirley snorted. “You can’t just designate a human trait as simply positive or negative. Everything has its benefits and disadvantages.”

Esmeralda thought for a moment but then shook her head. “While that may be true for some traits, it is not true for all. Take Juliet’s eyesight, for example. Why should I not enhance it to make her vision twenty-twenty, or even better?” She looked at Shirley dubiously through her glasses. “That disobedient nature of yours is also something worth removing.”

Shirley opened her mouth to retort, but Esmeralda had already turned to the side and was addressing Juliet. “Now, Juliet, I’m going to need to go finish analyzing my samples and start putting together the next batch. When the next failed competitor arrives, have Red put him or her down on one of the beds, unless they’re trouble, in which case have him call me to come supervise. In the meantime, I want to have you do some data entering for me.” She pulled out a second smaller tablet, more akin to the communicators they were given at the start of the tournament, and handed it over to the young scientist. “I’ll be back soon.”

Juliet nodded dutifully and watched as Esmeralda exited out one of the back doors that required a retina scan to open. Then she looked back at Shirley apologetically. “Sorry, but I really should do this.” She walked over to the computer bank and took a seat at one of the open consoles.

Shirley followed behind and watched as Juliet started entering a series of numbers and letters into a computer program, copying from the small device onto the larger computer. “What is it you’re doing, Juliet?”

“Oh, I’m just copying over some information from one of Esmeralda’s analyses into a separate computer program file for back-up. The test computers are kept in their own network to avoid contamination of data, so it has to be done manually. Or something like that anyway.”

“Do you know what any of it means?”

“Not a clue. It’s either some kind of code, or the data is in some form that’s not apparent just by looking at it.”

Shirley smirked. “Can I help?”

“What? Oh, sure. Let me copy the data over for you. Can I have your communicator?”

“Huh?” Shirley felt around in her pants and, sure, enough, the communicator she had received on the ship to the island was still in her back left pocket. “Whoa, they let us keep these?”

“Yeah, but don’t bother trying to call anyone on it. I’ve already tried; there’s no signal.” Juliet plucked the communicator out of Shirley’s hands and laid it down on top of the other device on the workstation, presumably her own communicator, then tapped the two together. “There, now the data file is on yours, too. If you want to start working on Section 7C, that would be useful.” Without another word, she turned back to her computer and started typing.

Shirley already knew the basics of the computer system from her earlier tour with Juliet. It was some sort of customized operating system, but a pretty simple one. She had been itching to get her hands on one, but hadn’t had a good reason to be at a computer until now and was fearful of being spied on or stopped. Now that she had a reason to be where she was, she got to work.

Glancing at the communicator every once and a while to make sure she didn’t look suspicious to any nearby cameras, Shirley quickly went to work at the computer, mucking around in command files until she found a few to force herself into a higher access level, then hunting around for any documents that might possibly be useful. She didn’t quite know what she was looking for, but she hoped she’d know something useful when she saw it.

The file system was very complicated was also well organized and labeled, so it didn’t take her all too long to sift through things. Much of the files contained a lot of code babble like the stuff Juliet was typing into the computer, but every once and a while she would come across something in English. In fact, there was an entire folder that was full of nothing but scans and PDFs of news articles about a kid named Bradley Cavish that Shirley was about to dismiss until she happened to catch a timestamp on one of the articles. It was written in Septmeber, which was nothing noteworthy, except that it was a September over 100 years in the future.

Shirley did a double-take, figuring the date had to be a mistake. She quickly scanned through all the other photos and articles, but while the dates changed, the fact that all of them had a year over a century in the future stayed the same.

She snuck a glance over at Juliet, but the young scientist was absorbed in her work and had hardly moved an inch. If Shirley had made any obvious movements in her surprise, they hadn’t been enough to startle the girl, which was probably for the best. There was no need to worry her anymore than she was.

Taking a deep breath and putting the date issue out of her mind, Shirley backed out of the folder with the news articles and went back to search for something useful. The date thing shocked her, certainly, but in and of itself, it wasn’t a very useful piece of information. What she really wanted was to find out something on Diamant or the biot program.

As if thinking made it came true, she suddenly stumbled across a folder full of biot data. Much of it was in the same number and character code and she almost snarled in frustration, but eventually she was able to find some design document PDFs that had been worded in English, almost like a marketing campaign.

The first one she read was titled “Biot Generation 3.5, Remake ver0.1” and she opened up to read it eagerly.

Generation 3.5 Remake ver0.1, from here on out referred to by code name “Midori”, shows to be a vast improvement on the original Generation 3 line. While still retaining the same general build and style of Gen3, Midori comes with many enhancements, mostly to her memory, intelligence, and cognitive functions.

Bored already with the science and marketing talk, Shirley started skimming the document, stopping occasionally to glance at a diagram of an enhanced eyeball, or read a particularly interesting turn of phrase such as “dependence on lysine compounds to retain obedience” or “critical thinking and imagination skills to be upgraded further with next build Gen 4.0.” Eventually she reached the end of the document, which happened to be a full-body and facial close-up views of the Midori biot and paused.

She was staring into the face of Esmeralda.

Juliet’s voice brought her back to reality. “Shirley, I’m at 7C now, but I’m not seeing any of your work. Are you in the right program setting? Shirley?”

Shirley shook herself out of her daze and turned to look into the puzzled face of Juliet. “Oh, I must be doing something wrong. I’m sorry, I’m not feeling particularly well.”

Juliet nodded. “Some of those knock out drugs might be in your system still. Why don’t you go lay down for a bit?”

“I think I will, thanks.”

Shirley stood and walked over towards the beds on the far side of the room, trying to remember which one had been hers while also ruminating over the meaning of the things she had discovered on the computer.

So, the date thing… some form of time travel? Is that even possible? During her time with Team Galactic, she’d learned a lot about the myths of Dialga, among other Pokémon, and knew that it was known for having control over time. Of course, it was also widely believed to be no more than a myth, but she knew Dialga to be real. Even if a human traveling back and forth wasn’t possible, there might be a way to bring things through holes in time, like machinery, or information. No one really knew exactly what Dialga was capable of, aside from destruction. She shook her head, her brain hurting at the implications.

She had reached the beds but was now to keyed up to sleep or even lay down. Instead, she sat on the end of the bed, swinging her legs back and forth.

Alright, so, biots then. Esmeralda’s a biot. Despite her initial reaction, this really didn’t surprise her all too much. After all, the woman was so cold and clinical; she may as well be a robot. But if Esmeralda was a biot, where did her DNA come from? Or perhaps more correctly, who did her DNA come from? The computer pamphlet didn’t really say, just focused on the upgrades she’d received from the original Gen3 biots and other benefits and features. Maybe if she could find the original Gen3 information, she’d be able to find out more, though she might have to break that code to get any real information, too.

A sudden noise broke her out of her concentration and she looked up to see a red-haired man pushing open one of the doors, carrying a rather short and slender young man in his arms. So, this was the next loser, William Conor according to her phone, a rather quiet and serious trainer who tended up keep to himself. Shirley had seen him looking at her strangely a few times when he thought she wasn’t looking.

“Esmeralda said you can just lay him down on one of the beds,” she had to the man, guessing he was the “Red” Esmeralda had referred to earlier. “Unless you think he’s trouble in which case you can page her, but she’s working on the next batch of biots now so I’m sure she wouldn’t want to be disturbed unless it’s important.”

Red grunted and dropped the boy unceremoniously on the bed closed to the door then turned and stormed out.

“Nice guy,” Shirley snorted, getting up from her bed and walking over to William. He was still out cold and she had no idea when he would awaken, so she just did her best to make him comfortable, arranging his arms and legs, getting his head under a pillow.

When she had finished getting the kid ready, she learned around and found herself confronted with the smiling face of Juliet.

“I never really took you for the mothering type, but I guess I was wrong,” she said with a wink. “Esmeralda might wake him up when she comes back, otherwise he’ll be out for the next hour or so.”

Shirley nodded, then caught sight of something in the young man’s hand. A Pokéball. Thinking back, she recalled her earlier conversation with Esmeralda. “Your Pokémon have been confiscated for now and are being held elsewhere in the complex…”

Thinking quickly, she snatched the Pokéball out of William’s hand and secreted it away in one of her own pants pockets. She didn’t know what William’s Pokémon was or why it had been overlooked, but if she left the ball where it was, Esmeralda would seize it for sure.

With one more secret to add to her arsenal, Shirley left William’s side and walked back over to her own bed, to think and to plan.

This is also the point where I sadly submit to the need to take a break from the hectic writing schedule I've been following this month, and especially this past week.

For those who don't know, I had a goal to write 50k words for both this story and my other fanfiction during the month of November. As of today (with 1 day to spare even!), I made that goal, hitting 50,087 words. While I was spending a significant portion of my free time writing over this past month, I was neglected other things... like cleaning, and organizing, and other housework. >___> Now that I've hit my goal, I need some time to get back on track of my life, and I have a lot of stuff to do before I host a party next weekend.

So, this story will be going on a slight break while I get my crap back in order, more or less. Next week will be slim since I have a lot of catching up to do; expect 1 (maybe 2 at the most) updates over the next week and a half or so. After that, I'll get back in the saddle more fully and continue writing in addition to the others things I do in my life, though I doubt updates will ever be on back-to-back days again, unless I'm particularly inspired. I make take a break for a few days, and I may decide to switch gears and write a chapter for my other story here and there (though this will remain my main priority for the time being).

As far as Mysteries stands, looking back over what I've written, I'm really very proud of it so far. At 5 matches down, I'm about a third of the way through the story or so. I hope to wrap up the battles and the side-story around the time time chronologically; I guess we'll see how that works out.

Anyway, thank you all for reading and participating and being a part of this fun tournament. The pace will be slower, but I hope you will continue on with me throughout this journey together.

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Intermission 5)

teegrun said:
[snipped submission]

Hey, welcome to the thread! Unfortunately, character submissions have been closed for some time, and the story has been in progress for a few weeks. Feel free to read how it's been going and comment if you're enjoying the story! If people enjoy this and it ends up a success, I may do something similar again at some point. :)

teegrun said:
Trainer's History/Backstory: Used to be a part of Team Flare until he realized what they were doing. Using his Luxary (Lucky), he took down Team Flare and got his Xerneas. After this, he went on to defeat the Elite Four and the Champion. After he beat them, he went back home to teach yougsters about pokemon.
Oh, I feel like a cool gal for once. :p

You didn't have to name it after me. xD

Not an official writing update, but a general update to let you know this isn't forgotten and I plan on updating soon. Life has been busier than usual, and I've also been rather sick for the past few days. I have been writing a bit each day, but not enough to finish and post a chapter. Hope to get it out soon, though, depending on how long I stay ill. Now that most craziness is done, I can get back on track once I'm no longer ill.

Athena said:
Not an official writing update, but a general update to let you know this isn't forgotten and I plan on updating soon. Life has been busier than usual, and I've also been rather sick for the past few days. I have been writing a bit each day, but not enough to finish and post a chapter. Hope to get it out soon, though, depending on how long I stay ill. Now that most craziness is done, I can get back on track once I'm no longer ill.

Get well, Athena!

I do anticipate the next chapter! :)

After much too long of a wait, here is Round 1, Match 6 between Kayla and Alex. It's been written piecemeal over the last couple weeks, and I'm still kind of sick, so it might read kind of disjointedly, but I hope you will all enjoy it!

Round 1, Match 6: Alex vs. Kayla

Kayla intently watched the match between Wynand and William, standing up and cheering, barely containing her excitement. Wynand’s Charizard was so cool, flying through the air, twirling around the hovering platforms like a professional. And yet, Breloom was so strong and tough, darting around on the platforms, and even getting up and close to deliver his smackdowns to the much larger Charizard. Such an amazing match!

When Wynand was finally declared the victor, Kayla dropped back down in her seat, as tired as if she had been competing in the battle herself. Her new friend Ririka was much more reserved, but even she had been cheering towards the end and was glistening a bit with the exhilaration. “Wasn’t that just a wonderful battle, Ririka?”

“Yes, it really was amazing,” Ririka smiled. “But my favourite part was watching you get into it. You’re such an involved spectator!”

“I used to attend a bunch of Pokémon Contests, and there’s a lot of audience participation in those.” Kayla grinned. “Besides, it’s more fun to watch a battle if you really get involved and cheer for who you want to win. Even you were getting into in the end!”

“Yes, I suppose I did,” Ririka admitted with a blush.

It wasn’t long before the arena was put back to its default settings and both trainers were off the field. Wynand went off with the red-haired Ruby to get his Pokémon healed, but Kayla knew from the morning’s back-to-back battles that he would be back shortly to decide on the type of stadium for the next match.

Kayla glanced to the side to take a look at the competitor she’d be facing in the next match. Alex was a pretty girl a little younger than she was, with odd but pretty grey hair and a wide smile. She had learned from the various chats the trainers shared over meals that Alex and Tony, the boy who had won the morning’s second match, were dating, and they both received their own invitations.

It must mean they’re both really good trainers, then. Kayla thought, feeling a bit worried. She’d seen earlier how easily Tony’s Grovyle had been able to beat Edward’s Kecleon; it was definitely the most one-sided out of all of the matches so far.

Rather than being depressed at the thought of competing against a powerful trainer, Kayla was glad. She decided early on that she would rather fight a powerful trainer right away and know whether she was strong enough to win or not after her first match. An easy start might make her too overconfident for later. Just as she had learn through chats about Alex’s relationship, she also knew the girl’s chosen Pokémon was a Dewott. Although, Alex also knew that Kayla brought her Empoleon, so there was no advantage to either of them in that respect.

When she saw Wynand making his way through the stands to sit with the other trainers, Kayla knew her time had come. Gripping her Pokéball, she said her goodbyes to Ririka and walked towards the stairs to head down to the arena. Alex wasn’t far behind.

Kayla confidently strode down the stairs of the stands and walked over to the near side of the arena, choosing the more advantageous location with the sun at her back. All latent nervousness was gone; she was ready to battle and win.

“As the victor of the last match,” Wynand announced over the intercom system, still sweating slightly from his bout, “I would like to see the competitors battle it out on a Water-based stage!”

Hmmm, interesting, Alex thought to herself, grasping onto the protective barrier as her platform began to rise in the air. Of course, Wynand also knew both of the challengers’ Pokémon, so it wasn’t completely unsurprising that he would choose such a stage. At least with both Water-type Pokémon, neither of them would have a strong advantage nor disadvantage in the water.

Though with Sasha’s additional Steel typing, this should be hard for the Dewott, she reminded herself with a smirk. There was a chance Alex might have thought to teach her Dewott a Fighting or Ground move, though she would have had to have done so before the Tournament, and she hadn’t had all too much time to prepare.

Of course, Dewott’s typing also worked against them as well. Sasha had no really good moves to use against pure Water-type opponents, and the Dewott was resistant to Sasha’s best attacks. It would likely be a long battle of attrition, neither Pokémon striking for heavy damage, though Sasha was strong and built to survive the long haul.

As she rose in the air, Kayla watched the arena opening up before her. Rising from the depths of the stadium was a large glass pool, like a giant aquarium that happened to fill the entire area of the field. It was filled about halfway with water, sporting numerous platforms and islands throughout the terrain to keep things a bit more interesting. Once the rest of the arena was fully raised in the air, another contraption rose on Kayla’s right side, opposite where the other trainers were sitting. It looked like a giant metal tube, and once it was in place, it started spitting out a large gush of water into the field, turning into something of a waterfall.

“Go Sasha!” Kayla cried out confidently, releasing her Pokémon into the field. The Empoleon landed on a small island close to Kayla’s side of the field and cried out a challenge.

Across the way, Alex was also getting ready. “Go Dewott!” If she was nervous in any way, it wasn’t apparent in her voice, which carried loudly and confidently even over the rush of the waterfall. The battle was on.

Having already thought out her beginning strategy for the match, Kayla quickly called out to her Pokémon, “Sasha, use Dive!”

Unfortunately, she was a bit too late, as Dewott rushed across the field at blazing speeds. At the command of its owner, it began a Razor Shell attack as it jumped across the field, grabbing the scalchops off of its legs. The shells began to glow as Dewott connected the attack, slicing Sasha as it prepared to jump into the water.

Sasha winced at the attack but continued with its Dive, plunging into the pool and sending up a large blast of water. As the Dewott wasted time looking around for its opponent, Sasha swam to the other side of the enclosure to build up speed before turning around and shooting itself up out of the water, hitting the Dewott hard with a powerful blow. Still armed with its scalchops, the Dewott managed another slice at Sasha, but it wasn’t long before Sasha was back under the water again.

I’m not going to be able to pull this off much longer, Kayla thought to herself as she bit her lower lip. Alex is too smart to let me waste time like this for too long; she’s going to start making use of the time.

Sure enough, as soon as Sasha was back in the water, Alex called out to her Pokémon, “Dewott, start warming up with your Swords Dance!” Using its scalchops as swords, the Dewott sliced them together as if sharpening them, dancing lightly in an anticipation. It was more than ready when Sasha came up from the water again, slashing with its Razor Shell attack even faster than usual.

“Sasha, get out of there, but stay landside!” Kayla yelled out to her Pokémon, wincing at the cuts on her beloved friend’s skin. She knew the Empoleon could easily take all these hits and many more, but seeing the damage inflicted upon it was always difficult to bear.

As Sasha flipped over to the left side of the pool, standing with its back to the audience, Dewott similarly danced over to the right, its scalchops back against its legs and its arms up in a defensive position.

“Sasha, use your drill peck!”

Nodding once in understanding, Sasha’s crown began to glow brightly as it leaped forward, spinning in the air as it angled towards its opponent. Dewott tried to jump to the side and avoid the attack, but it was too late. Sasha drilled into the Dewott at top speed, its beak goring into the smaller Dewott. With a cry, it fell into the water, and Sasha landed gently down on its now-vacated platform.

“Dewott!” Alex cried from the other side of the field, her voice aching with pain, but her Pokémon wasn’t out of the fight yet. It swam to one of the underground platforms and sat down, resting for a moment as it took stock of its wounds down in the water where Sasha wouldn’t be able to get it so easily.

Sasha may not have good attacks that work well underwater, but that doesn’t mean I can’t use the water to my advantage, Kayla thought with a smirk. “Sasha, use Water Pulse!”

Sasha raised her flippers and held them out in front of itself, angling towards the Dewott as it began to gather the necessary energy. Once the energy ball was large enough, the Empoleon propelled the ball into the pool, watching the ball as it pulsed through the water, hitting the Dewott squarely in the chest. The Dewott bounced backwards, spinning in the water before it was able to gain control and swim to the surface.

“Dewott,” Alex yelled from her place on the platform, her hands clenching the bar in front of her, “use Revenge!”

Kayla mentally cursed herself as the battered Dewott prepared for a strike. Alex had managed to teach her Dewott a Fighting-type move after all! The Pokémon’s body gained a faint orange glow as it leaped at Sasha, striking out hard with its scalchops and scoring a serious blow on the larger Pokémon.

“Sasha, we need to end this quick, use another Drill Peck!”

Panting heavily with exertion, the Empoleon leaped up into the air, turning around to hit the Dewott with another powerful hit from its beak, but the Dewott was just a step too fast, ducking down into the water and avoiding the attack by a hair’s breadth.

“Dewott, hit with another taste of your Revenge!”

Kayla held her breath, watching as the Dewott emerged from the water, its body regaining its previous orange aura. However, instead of charging at Sasha, it flipped around and ran for the other side of the field, viciously attacking one of the platforms on the opposite side of the arena.

Kayla stopped and stared for a moment, blinking stupidly at the sight of the Dewott slashing at the platform with its scalchops, and Alex looked similarly puzzled. It was the sight of Alex’s confusion that caused a spark of understanding. Confusion! Sasha’s previous Water Pulse attack must have confused the Dewott.

“Sasha,” she called out confidently, “use another Drill Peck!”

Catching the Dewott unawares, Sasha’s third Drill Peck sent the Dewott careering back into the water. Instead of swimming to safety this time, the Dewott floated back up to the surface of the water on its back lazily, its eyes closed and its breathing regular.

“The battle is concluded,” came Ruby’s voice over the intercom. “Kayla is the winner.”

Kayla breathed a huge sigh of relief, slumping over the railing as her platform began to lower and the water stage retracted. Sasha flipped over the edge and waddled over to its owner, waving its flippers happily.

As soon as she was able, Kayla joined her Pokémon on the ground, hugging it warmly. “You did a wonderful job out there, Sasha. I’m so proud of you.” Sasha preened joyfully in response.

Kayla turned around back towards the arena, which had now returned to a simple grass stage. Alex was standing off to the side, looking down at the Pokéball in her hand, her face an expressionless mask. She thought to go over and join the other girl, but before she could take a single step, Safiri was striding over towards her, leading her in the other direction.

You did well, Alex, Kayla thought towards her opponent, thinking the words she might have said aloud if she had the chance. Had that last attack gone through, it could have been anyone’s game. You’re good, she smirked, but Sasha and I are just a bit better.

I hope to have another update done before Christmas, and then I probably won't be updating anymore until the new year, but after that, updates should be more frequent again. Not as fast as they were towards the end of November, but much faster than they have been in December. >_>

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Wild Update Appears! Round 1, Match 6)

NO! I didn't want my character to beat Alex! Darn, now Tony's going to be miffed at Kayla. D:

…although I wonder how Alex will turn out as a clone she gets dragged into this mysterious laboratory...

Luckyfire said:
NO! I didn't want my character to beat Alex! Darn, now Tony's going to be miffed at Kayla. D:

…although I wonder how Alex will turn out as a clone she gets dragged into this mysterious laboratory...

In the end, Tony ends up with the clone. I'm calling it now. :p

I'm excited to see how the story's going to move on, though. Hopefully the creepiness will move up to its next level and we can finally learn a bit more of the subplot. Another great chapter, Artemis!

It's going to be like the end to a Godzilla movie or something! XD

And she's, like, going to be wearing a blindfold to hide her eyes with the excuse that her eyes were burned in a fire or something! Or she could be just wearing contacts. To be less violent. And stuff.

The next few updates will be intermissions before we move onto the next round. The first is here now! A bit shorter than most chapters, but I hope you enjoy it. :3 Expect the next update sometime after New Years.

Intermission 6-1

Edward awoke with a dry mouth and a dull pounding in his skull. Groggily he squeezed his eyes shut against the lights, trying to remember where he was and why his arms couldn’t move.

Oh, right, her.

His memory was foggy but he briefly remembered the first time he woke up in this room, the short conversation with the green-haired scientist and the sudden re-sedation when he hadn’t immediately surrendered to her for unexplained testing. Slowly daring to open his eyes a single slit, he could see the bandage tied around his elbow where she had drawn blood. What the bloody hell is going on here?

“Hey, mister, you awake?”

Edward turned his head in the direction of the sound, opening his eyes slightly more as he adjusted to the light. A kid was lying on another bed in the room, similarly restrained around his legs, but his arms were untied to allow him to eat from a tray that was balanced across the bed. It took him a moment to place the kid’s name, but eventually it came to him: Leon. After that minor phone fiasco on the boat, Leon was probably the only challenger that every other contestant could name on sight.

“Yeah, I’m here kid,” he answered, his voice gravelly and his throat parched. At the moment, he’d give anything for the cup of water on Leon’s tray. “What’s up?”

“Did you really lose your match on purpose?”

Edward couldn’t help but chuckle. “Yeah, I did. Had a feeling something not right was going on and wanted to find out for myself.”

“That’s pretty brave.” However, rather than looking impressed, Leon pouted and then scooped himself up another spoonful of soup. “I wasn’t supposed to be here, you know,” he added after a moment.

“You weren’t?” Edward asked, cocking his head.

“No, I stole the invitation from another kid. That’s why my phone didn’t work. And that’s why I’m in here.” He slurped up another spoonful of soup. “Because I’m a delinquent and now I’ve ruined their plans. Or something.”

Edward smirked. “In that case, I guess you did something pretty good; actually, two things.”

Leon put his spoon down in his bowl and looked inquisitively towards his fellow prisoner. “I have?”

“Yes, sir. Right now you confirmed for me something I’d only speculated, and that might help us out further down the road. Also, by stealing that other kid’s invitation, you saved him from having to go through this himself. You might have even saved his life.

“You mean… you mean I might even be a hero?”

I don’t think I’d quite go that far, Edward thought to himself, but he didn’t have a chance to think of a reply as the sound of a key in a lock caught his attention. He quickly slumped back against the pillow, closing his eyes and feigning sleep as the door opened and the sound of high heels echoed across the floor.

“How’s your soup, Leon?” the new arrival asked, her voice the same as the green-haired woman from earlier.

“Oh, it’s tasty, Miss Esmeralda, thank you.”

“I’ve finished your tests and it seems like you were telling the truth. There’s absolutely no genetic match between you and our test subject.”

Genetic match? Edward wondered, his attention perked.

“Of course,” Leon’s voice sounded pouty and sullen. “I wouldn’t lie.”

“That means you’re useless to me as a subject, unfortunately, but I also see no reason to keep you confined, so let me undo those restraints for you.”

“You mean I’m free? You’re letting me go?”

“We can’t let you off the premises, but I don’t want you down here where you can possibly contaminate my research, so I’m having you brought back to your room. You’ll be confined to your quarters for the duration of the tournament.”

“But I don’t want to be by myself…”

“It won’t be for long.”

Edward snuck a peek as Esmeralda moved the tray of food to a different bed and freed Leon’s legs. Leon stood shakily on the ground and glanced over at Edward, who shook his head at the younger kid and mouthed “play along”.

Leon sighed and looked up at Esmeralda. “Can I at least take my soup?”

“You’ll have better food waiting for you upstairs, let’s go.”

Esmeralda placed her hand on Leon’s back and guided him, not to the door she had entered through, but to another door on the other side of the room. This one also required a physical key like the entrance, as opposed to the retinal scans elsewhere on the grounds, and soon both scientist and kid were out of sight, the soup left behind on one of the beds.

Edward let out a sigh of relief and began inspecting his own bonds, moving his arms to see how much slack he was given. Because his arms were tied down individually, he couldn’t simply dislocate his thumbs and break free the easy way, but it seemed like the bonds were relatively loose regardless. With a few minutes of shimmying, his wrists were chafed and sore, but free. After taking a break for a quick wrist massage, he bent over and untied his own legs, shaking them out to restore the feeling.

Standing up and looking around the room, Edward contemplated the best way to make his escape, but first, there was something more important to be done. With quiet quick steps, he walked over to the other bed and downed the rest of Leon’s water in one large gulp.

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Intermission 6-1)

I'm excited for what the next few intermissions will bring us. So now Leon is basically imprisoned in his room for not being a match? Not only that, but Edward's seen it all. I can just imagine the scene of Edward listening in on the conversation, being creeped out, and then taking whatever Leon left behind :p You had a great point of view through Edward, too, because we're able to read about the situation and how Edward feels about it.

Each chapter has been great, Athena! Keep up the great work and I can't wait to read the next intermission.

I love it! I can't wait to see what Edward will do now that he's free. Something tells me that it's not going to go very well if he gets caught. Maybe he'll run into a couple of the other losing contestants, and they'll form a plan? I'm on the edge of my seat, and am looking forward to the next chapter Athena!

Thanks for all the enthusiasm, guys! :D It's good to know you're enjoying the story so much. There's still a lot to go, so I hope I can keep up the enjoyment and suspense throughout the rest of the story. :p

That said, it's time for Intermission 6-2! The next update will be an intermission of the intermission, and then we'll head back to 6-3 before the next match. Next update should hopefully be sometime early next week. Now that I'm back to a normal schedule and writing every weekday on a regular basis, updates will probably be about 2 per week or so.

Juliet snuck a worried glance behind her before moving onto her next data set. Shirley was lying down on the bed, unmoving, but clearly not sleeping from the rhythm of her breathing. Shirley had been acting weirdly since she first offered to help with the data entering, and Juliet couldn’t help but hope that the older woman would open up to her eventually about what was going through her mind. In the bed beyond her, the newcomer, William, slept soundly, still under the effects of the drugs. The biot, J2, was sitting on a chair in the kitchenette section of the room, sitting so still she appeared to be a statue of a woman rather than the real thing. Looking at her, at it, always gave Juliet the creeps, and she avoided it as much as she could.

She gave a start when the door deeper into the laboratory complex suddenly opened, guilty to be caught with her attention away from her work. She blushed softly and turned back to the computer, entering a new data set while Esmeralda stormed into the room, muttering under her breath.

“That kid… I can’t believe the nerve of that kid…” she grumbled as she crossed the room, completely ignoring Juliet and the others. With swift movements, she unlocked the door and entered the room, almost slamming the door behind her.

Conflicted between her curiosity and her duty, Juliet glanced back at her computer terminal. Well… Esmeralda seems to be preoccupied, so I don’t think she’d notice if I took a little break… She left her communicator by the keyboard and walked swiftly over to the door to the room where Esmeralda had entered, pressing her ear against the crack.

“…you were telling the truth,” Esmeralda was saying. “There’s absolutely no genetic match between you and our test subject.”

“Of course. I wouldn’t lie.” Although she hadn’t heard him talk since the boat trip the previous day, and then only briefly, Juliet recognized this as the voice of Leon.

“That means you’re useless to me as a subject, unfortunately, but I also see no reason to keep you confined, so let me undo those restraints for you.”

“Wait, restrained? They were keeping that poor kid tied up in there?”

Juliet’s eyes widened and she flew back from the door at the surprise of the new voice whispering next to her ear, though it was only Shirley. She must have gotten up from her bed and come over to the door, but Juliet was so focused on her own eavesdropping that she hadn’t noticed her. She opened her mouth to reply, but Shirley responded with a single finger over her lips. The meaning was clear: silence and spying now, talk later.

“… confined to your quarters for the duration of the tournament.”

“But I don’t want to be by myself…”

“It won’t be for long.”

“Can I at least take my soup?”

“You’ll have better food waiting for you upstairs, let’s go.”

Juliet quickly pulled away from the door, but the sound of footsteps was heading away, not towards them. She waited, breathing slowly and quietly for a couple minutes just to be sure, but the room was silent, and she let out a sigh of relief that she immediately regretted when she saw Shirley’s hand reach out for the doorknob. “You… You can’t go in there!”

Shirley looked back at her, exasperated. “And why not?”

“Well, for one thing, it’s locked.”

“Not this time, it isn’t. Miss Green was in such a fluster when she went in there that she forgot to lock the door again on her way in. I know, I heard it.”

“I thought you were sleeping!”

Shirley shrugged. “Guess I wasn’t tired after all.”

Without giving Juliet a chance to protest any further, she opened the door slowly, peering carefully through the crack. Still afraid of being caught, Juliet shied away from the older woman, pressing her back against the wall next to the door and taking a few deep breaths. When she looked to the side again, Shirley was gone, disappeared into the room.

Juliet took a deep breath and followed in after her, her hands trembling against the door as she pushed it open further. As she entered, all she saw was Shirley standing in the middle of the room on her own, a puzzled look on her face.

Juliet was also rather confused. “Wasn’t Edward also in here? I didn’t hear anything about her taking him, too.”

Shirley gestured with her head towards one of the beds in the corner. “That bed over there has hand restraints that are still fastened. I think he freed himself, too.”

Juliet cocked her head and walked over to the indicated bed. Sure enough, the foot restraints were untied properly, but the wrist restraints were fastened but loose, dangling awkwardly over the mattress. It certainly looked like an escape. “Was that why Miss Esmeralda was so upset?”

“Oh, no, I was still lying nice and quietly while she was here.”

Juliet’s heart rose to her throat at the sound of another unexpected voice, this time coming from behind her. She flew around to see Edward crawling out from underneath one of the beds on the other side of the room.

Shirley offered him a hand to help him get back to his feet. “What were you doing down there, then?”

“When I heard the doorknob turn, I didn’t know who would be on the other side, so I dived under the bed quick in a panic.” Edward smirked ruefully and rubbed the back of his head. “Not the best plan I’ve ever had, but I only had a split second to think of it.”

He dropped his hand and his face and voice took on a more serious tone as he looked from Shirley to Juliet and back again. “So, all the losers are ending up down here then? What’s going on?”

“Quite a lot,” Shirley replied, her voice grim. “We need to escape somehow, get out of these labs.”

“Escape? What!?” Juliet stared at Shirley in disbelief. “You said that you would stay here with me, that you’d behave and…”

“I told you that we would stick together, but never promised that I would play along with Esmeralda’s games.. I don’t like the implications of what’s going on here, and if Edward here is as good an escape artist as he looks, we might have a shot at getting away and getting some time to think and plan.” Shirley looked at Juliet apologetically. “Please, trust me on this one.”

Juliet stared back into Shirley’s face, catching her eyes. There was no dishonesty there, only determination and, yes, a bit of fear. Shirley may be going back on her word, but Juliet believed it was for the right reasons. “Alright, I trust you.”

Shirley nodded and gave a curt smile before turning back to Edward. “Where did they go?”

Edward gestured to the door on the other side of the room. “Somewhere up that way. She said she was taking him to his quarters. Don’t bother trying that door, though; I heard her lock that one. I could try to pick it, but I don’t know what kind of security systems there are.”

Shirley nodded slowly. “Well, if she’s taking him all the way to his rooms, then we should have enough time down here on our own to figure something else out.” Without waiting for a reply, she turned around and left the room.

Juliet scampered along behind her, trying to think up a plan. There were four doors in total in the main laboratory room: to the smaller room where Leon and Edward had been held; to the shower and locker room; to deeper into the laboratory complex; and back to the rest of the complex, the door the others had all come through when they were brought here after the tournament, and presumably the door she herself had been brought through in the beginning. The shower room was a complete dead end, but the other three were worth thinking about.

Unfortunately, those thoughts didn’t get very far. The lab door and the main door both used the same retinal scans that seemed common throughout the rest of the building. Edward could try to pick the other door, but with possible consequences. Yet, without someone’s retina to scan, there was no way to get through any of the others.

Shirley seemed to have arrived at the same conclusion. After looking around the room in thought, she cussed under her breath and turned back towards the smaller room, almost bumping into Edward as he lounged in the doorway, eating from a bowl of soup.

“I think we may need you to try and pick that door after all,” she said with a sigh, “unless you know someway to trick retina scans.”

Edward slurped up in the last of the soup and shrugged. “Not without borrowing someone’s eyeball. I guess I’ll be coming in handy after all.

Juliet sat down on a stool near the tanks, her eyes gazing around the room, trying to find an alternate solution. There were ventilation ducts in the ceiling, though while she might be small enough to fit through them, Shirley and Edward certainly wouldn’t make it. Of course, the ducts were along the ceiling at least three meters in the air, so even reaching them would be difficult. On an impulse, she entered the shower room, hoping that there might be some other door she hadn’t noticed, a secondary exit for supplies, but nothing.

With a sigh, she walked back into the main laboratory and peeked into the side room. Edward had taken off his jacket and was fiddling around with some device in the keyhole of the other door, but based on his swearing, he didn’t seem to be getting much of anywhere. Shirley was pacing around muttering to herself. Neither of them even noticed her.

Juliet exited quietly, her eyes falling once again on the eerily still form of J2 sitting in the cafeteria, her peculiar eyes glazed over as if she was only a robots whose switch had been flipped off. Those eyes…

A flash of inspiration suddenly hit Juliet like a tonne of bricks. She tried to think back to the times when she had seen the retinal scans in action, by Esmeralda, Safiri, and yes, even Diamant. Never had the scans taken a long period of time, nor ever shown a confirmation or a completed scan. It was almost as if they weren’t scanning for individual retinas, just a simple, similar pattern. I have no idea if any of this is true, of course, but I’ve never been afraid of a little experimentation.

Juliet took a deep breath and marched over to the J2, filling herself with as much confidence as she could muster. As she got closer, J2’s eyes brightened and she turned her head in Juliet’s direction. Juliet barely held back a shudder as she faced the biot with her own face. “J2, I was wondering if you could help me with something.”

“Of course, mistress.” J2 smiled. “I’m always happy to assist in any way.”

Juliet breathed a sigh of relief. At least she wasn’t going to have to try to reason with the thing. “J2, could you walk and stand in front of that door, please?” She pointed towards the front door, the one they had all come to with a slightly trembling finger.

With a single nod of her head, J2 stood up and walked to the door. Her movements were improving with each trip she took, though she was still a bit unsteady on her legs. Once she reached the door, she stood in front of it, arms clasped. Juliet held her breath, thinking that her plan wasn’t going to work, that the scans were for retinal patterns after all, but only a second passed before the door slid open on its tracks. They were free.

Juliet smiled and dashed back over to the side room, sticking her head and shouting triumphantly, “I figure out the door scans; we have an exit!”

Edward picked up his jacket and joined Shirley as they all raced back out. J2 still stood motionless in front of the open door, instantly showcasing how Juliet had cracked the lock.

“Nice work, kid,” Edward complimented her with a slap on the shoulder. “I didn’t want to admit it, but that door in there was a real piece of work.” He laughed.

Meanwhile, Shirley had rushed over to the kitchenette and was pulling down cans of soup and shoving them in her pockets. “Come on, grab some food; we don’t know where we’re going, so it’s best to stock up.”

“There’s some bottles of water in the fridge we can grab too,” Juliet offered, and the three quickly grabbed what they could easily carry, shoving cans of soup, crackers, and bottle of water into every available pocket and pouch. Edward piled up the most in his jacket which he tied into an awkward-looking, but functional, sling bag that he carried over his shoulder.

Wasting as little time as possible, they headed back to the door, anxious to leave before anyone figured out they were gone. They’d spent only a few minutes working on their escape attempt together, but everyone second was one where they might be recaptured.

“I hate to admit it,” Shirley said as they were about to leave, “but I’m afraid we’re going to have to bring J2 along. We might find other doors we’ll need her to open for us.”

Juliet groaned inwardly, but she knew Shirley was right. She might hate looking at the thing, but without J2, their escape attempt would have been nothing.

“Well, let’s get out of here then, and take the robot with us,” Edward said, squeezing past them to head through the doorway first and scout ahead. “Can it function well enough on its own, or do you need me to carry it?”

“No,” Juliet sighed, “it should be able to keep up with us enough.” She turned her attention to the biot. “J2, would you come along with us please?”

“Of course, mistress.” J2 walked through the door and Juliet and Shirley quickly followed before the door could slide shut on them.

Edward had already taken the vanguard position and lead them quickly and purposefully through the hallways. Everything was the same white paint and linoleum that she remembered from the initial hallways when they had all entered the tournament together, but the layout was much more labyrinthine than the upper corridors had been, full of half turns, and short staircases, odd twists and turns. Every intersection seemed to have so many similar exits that trying to keep pack of their path gave Juliet a headache.

“Does he know where he’s going?” she whispered quietly to Shirley. “I’ve been lost since the first couple minutes.”

“Oh, yeah,” Shirley replied. “You were kicked out the first match so you didn’t get to see much of the rest of the complex. The whole building is like this.”

“And, no, I don’t know where I’m going,” Edward answered from in front of them both. “I just wanted to get us away from that laboratory as quickly as possible. We can work on planning and mapping once we find a safe place where we won’t be immediately found.”

“Assuming there is one,” Shirley muttered.

Embarrassed that Edward had overheard her, Juliet blushed and kept her head down, but she was soon hit by her second epiphany of the day. “Ohmygosh,” she blurted out quickly. “We left William behind in the lab!”

“Oh, I know,” Edward replied, his voice grim but his face hidden from view as he maintained the lead. “I saw him when I first came out into the bigger lab room, but there was no way we could have brought him with us.”

“But the drugs would have worn off soon; we’d just have had to carry him for a while is all.”

Edward shook his head. “It’s not that. They hadn’t taken his blood yet, had they? He didn’t have any bandages of anything on his arms indicating a wound.”

Juliet bit her lip as she thought. “No… Esmeralda was busy when he was dropped off, and then she went right to Leon’s room. She hadn’t taken any samples yet.”

“And that means they would have put all their efforts into finding our little group the moment they noticed we were missing. Since they’ve ‘sampled’ from all three of us, I’m hoping that tracking us down will be a bit lower on their priority list, giving us more room to breathe and more time to find a safe haven. Then we can work on solving the larger problems.”

“And boy do we have a lot of those,” Shirley sighed. “Besides, even if we wanted to go back and get the kid, we don’t even know how to get back to that lab, do we?”

“I guess not.” Juliet felt bad, but she understood their point. The three – no, the four of them would just have to work together for now, and find a way to help the others later. She didn’t know exactly what was making Shirley so worried and afraid, but she had a feeling she’d be finding out soon.

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Intermission 6-2)

At first I was like, "Oh my gosh! They left William behind!"
Then I was like, "Oh, yeah, he'd be a pain to carry."
Then Juliet was like, "Oh my gosh! We left William behind!"

Good times, good times.

RE: Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Intermission 6-2)

Edward being epic.

chuck-norris-approves.gif

I noticed a few typos, but hey, a great chapter as always!

Back