Media My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Zenith said:
currently optimistic, especially since it won't be affecting the main series.

Yeah, that's the good news about this. It could completely bomb and it wouldn't affect the main series too much.

Zenith said:
let's see if we can get a higher level of discussion about it in the community than Twilicorn got...oh, who am I kidding, bronies are unreasonable

Oh yeah, it's certainly starting to becoming a controversy. But more of a controversy than Alicorn Twilight? Probably not, because first of all, this doesn't affect the main series like Alicorn Twilight does. Second, people are slightly more accepting of the idea. TBH, I think it's an interesting idea for a spinoff, I just don't like the character designs, they don't look like natural humans, they look more like the anthros you might find on DA.

The image of the mane six as humans itself kind of bothers me since it looks more like fanart than a real promo image. But then, it's not even known for sure if the image and the rumors are linked, so who knows. I'm hesitant about the spin-off show, but willing to give it a try. If it's terrible, I can just stop watching.

I just hope they look like actual human beings and not sport their pony fur color as their eventual human skin color, because what works in MLP:FiM won't work in Equestria Girls.

Artemis said:
The image of the mane six as humans itself kind of bothers me since it looks more like fanart than a real promo image. But then, it's not even known for sure if the image and the rumors are linked, so who knows. I'm hesitant about the spin-off show, but willing to give it a try. If it's terrible, I can just stop watching.

That's a good point actually, and it leads me to believe that my analysis of it looking like anthro art from DA may not be too far off, I think this is just fanart that someone is trying to pass off as official. I don't think anyone at Hasbro is stupid enough to design anthro versions of the Mane 6 when they're supposed to look human. So I'm going with that.

Anyway, aside from that, I'm very interested in seeing where they go with this.

That new episode O___________O

Totally wasn't expecting Twilight Sparkle to become a princess

I didn't really like this one. For one, I'm not a fan of most of the musical numbers in the series and they took up most of the episode. Second, it felt kind of rushed and would've been better as a two parter (first part dealing with the cutie mark problem, second part dealing with the coronation and its consequences). Third, and most importantly, the ending was too open ended and didn't really answer any of the major questions surrounding this decision. Where do we go from here? What will Twilight and her friends be doing? What role will Twilight's friends be playing now (since she seems to want to involve them as well)? And for that matter, what about Celestia and Luna, Celestia seemed to imply she will be taking a less active role in the kingdom's affairs. The ending felt more like a series finale than a season finale, there's no sense of continuation from this episode. If we didn't already know Season 4 was in the works, I'd think this would be the end.

I don't like this episode, bad ending, bad content, bad reason. If it weren't for Hasbro the writers could've done something really good for the finale, instead of this sack of poop. (Although they sung well, but I always hated the singing)

EDIT: and spike doing gangnam style was cool

Too much singing. I say that Celestia and Luna will continue being Princesses with Twilight for a time. Then Twilight might be the only Princesses.

Gr8Ampharos said:
I agree with everything, but I guess they may have left it open ended in case the show were to be either canceled or ended somehow (I don't know how because Hasbro hasn't had such a successful series in a while)

First of all, some of the members around here get annoyed when you leave recent episode content unspoilered, JSYK. Second, why would they cancel it?

Flygon2071 said:
Too much singing. I say that Celestia and Luna will continue being Princesses with Twilight for a time. Then Twilight might be the only Princesses.

What do you think will happen to Celestia and Luna if they step down? Will they just take care of raising the sun and moon and leave the political duties to Twilight?

For a season finale, it was... okay. It would have been better suited as a two-parter - the whole thing felt rushed, really. And it never appeared that Twilight "accidentally" cast the incomplete spell; she said clear as day that she did it on purpose just to see what it did.

And speaking of that spell...Just what is it supposed to do, anyway? If we're to understand that the whole reason the cutie marks got swapped was because Twilight tried casting an incomplete spell, then what exactly would the finished product do? Switch cutie marks but make ponies not suck at their new jobs?

Lots

and lots

and lots of songs. Gonna be some cool remixes, for sure.

Anyway apparently this episode is going to pave the way for season four, so that's pretty cool.

Bolt the Cat said:
Flygon2071 said:

What do you think will happen to Celestia and Luna if they step down? Will they just take care of raising the sun and moon and leave the political duties to Twilight?

Celestia will help Twilight with political duties while she learns. Celestia and Luna will probably step down then. They would do what you said IMO.

This episode was definitely disappointing. It felt like a 2-part episode squeezed into one, except they insisted on keeping all the songs. Everything was rushed and there was practically no ending. I can see why they maybe wanted to keep the ending open to interpretation, since new season and all, but overall it's probably one of my least favourite episodes. Such a shame considering there were so many opportunities for hilariousness and/or awesomeness.

Alicorn Twilight is still awesome, though.

I liked it. it would've been better as a two-parter, but oh well. according to Meghan McCarthy the Season 4 premiere will pick up where this episode left off, so I dunno.

Celestia's ballad was probably one of the best moments of the series so far though

I, too, enjoyed finally getting to hear Celestia sing.

Zenith said:
I liked it. it would've been better as a two-parter, but oh well. according to Meghan McCarthy the Season 4 premiere will pick up where this episode left off, so I dunno.

That's great, but the episode doesn't really convey that feeling, they don't really leave you with any sort of cliffhanger or sense of a continuing plot. That's why it feels like a series finale, they didn't really give the impression that something significant is going to happen after this point. The only thing that's really going to keep you watching now is your own curiosity of how this plot twist will play out, and even that won't keep people interested between now and Season 4.

Zenith said:
...why not? honestly, I just want more pony, so I'll be anticipating Season 4 for that.

They don't really give the sense that something's going to happen after the coronation, it just sort of ends, and I feel like if you were one of the people who was upset with the decision to make Twilight an alicorn, that's not really helping the matter. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about it, but so far they haven't really given me a reason to be excited for next season yet.

Back