Media My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

yeah right, Applejack is so awesome that she would not only accept it but she would probably be a kickass wingpony despite disagreeing with AB's decision

Cinesra said:
Has the show decreased in quality lately or have I just lost interest in it?

You've lost interest because this is the best season so far.

I started liking the show less last season. I haven't seen the Apple family reunion episode yet; maybe that'll help. Oh well

I don't know if I'd call it worse but there's a definite difference in the writing more recently when compared to season 1.

What a meh ep. The AJ song was one of the best pony songs yet. Nice to see babs again. And it's cool to see that all the Apple families are slow when it comes to cutiey marks.
@AppleJack baby. OH GOD. KILL IT WITH FIRE!! BEFORE IT BREEDS!

I'm not an Applejack fan (too one dimensional and boring IMO), so my expectations were low for this episode. But it actually turned out slightly better than I had hoped. Applejack's ludicrous plans for the reunion were actually kind of funny, and I was glad to see Babs again, she's slowly becoming my favorite Apple family member (Manehattan gangster FTW).

Princess Skarmory said:
Do you even this show?

Do I even what? Honestly, Applejack is my least favorite of the Mane 6 because of how one dimensional she is, but I like the rest of them because most of them have really colorful personalities. Pinkie is completely wacky and random. Fluttershy is usually shy and reserved, but has been shown to have an explosive temper. Twilight is intelligent and overly organized, but tends to freak out when things don't go according to plan. Rainbow Dash is very cocky and competitive, but sticks by her friends when push comes to shove. Rarity is overly generous, and also tends to be a drama queen. But Applejack really doesn't have any interesting quirks to her character, she just works hard and pretty much nothing else. That doesn't really make for an interesting character.

you're not allowed to talk meatheart, you hate Ponky Poy

Applejack is hardworking, but she's also very narrow-minded, focused, and stubborn. while she normally keeps a collected mind and is one of the most level-headed of the mane 6, she has the tendency to either work too hard or to crack under pressure without telling anyone. are we watching the same show???

Applejack seems one-dimensional because all she does is work. Her life literally revolves around hard labor. It's what she does.

If I hadn't seen Apple Family Reunion, but seen its summary, I would have initially thought that it would have become Applejack's Lesson Zero. It subjects Applejack to what may be the two things she fears most: failure and disappointing her family. But instead of freaking out like Twilight does, Applejack internalizes it.

Her character growth since season one has been almost zero because Applejack is rarely the focus of an episode and when she is, she either doesn't learn anything (lawl) or she doesn't learn it because of her pride. The only reason she accepted Twilight's help in Applebuck Season is because she nearly worked herself to death and her lack of rest was starting to affect the other townspeople (townsponies?). Applejack did the same exact thing in The Last Roundup, choosing to completely abandon her friends and family, worrying them to the point of chasing her to Dodge Junction just because Applejack was too proud to tell them the real reason why she wasn't coming home on schedule. The two episodes have completely identical lessons, and she didn't follow them in either episode.

I don't know what Granny Smith was thinking, letting Applejack run the reunion all by herself. Seriously, all by herself? Granny Smith could have at least guided Applejack's planning, or acted in a supervisor role, even if it was just a minor one. Throwing her into the fire like that, it's no surprise Applejack's planning sucked.

But anyway. When the barn first came down (side note: it couldn't have been that sturdy in the first place if a swarm of bats brought it down - either that or those are some strong-ass bats), Applejack was clearly ashamed of what she'd done. But since she was put on the spot, she couldn't run and hide, so she came up with a plan, which basically boiled down to 'whistle while you work.' I don't know why Applejack thought this would bring the family closer together. If anything, you'd think they'd all harbor at least a little resentment for Applejack for making them rebuild the entire barn from nothing but wreckage, and in just a few hours (presumably)! Man those Apples can work fast. Towards the end of the song, one of the ponies looks at another one of the ponies while they say "yes we did", like "did we really just build a barn in one afternoon? is it gonna hold? also, how did I know the lyrics to this song?"

The lesson here wasn't even one that will make Applejack a better pony, making this episode--in the grand scheme of things--moot. (From a logical standpoint it wasn't even that great an episode, but it gave me the Applejack song I've been fiending for for like a year so all is forgiven.)

What we need to see is evidence that Applejack is actually learning the lessons she's meant to learn, not reverting to her old standbys in every episode. It's similar to what bacon said about Fluttershy going back to her old mannerisms within an episode or two. We know that there is some loose continuity in the series but some characters like Twilight and the CMC are getting all sorts of character development while Applejack does not. Even Rarity's had a little growth.

Applejack does the same thing in every show except for the examples I outlined above: run and hide or, failing that, sing and hope to god no one notices you just ruined the reunion because I know I didn't come here to build your stupid barn, I came to have fun.

I mean, I love me some Applejack. If I wasn't so in love with Twilight Sparkle and Rarity, Applejack would definitely be at the top of the best pony list. Everything about her is sexy: she's strong, loyal, and dependable; she can cook like a boss and knows how to run a business. Unfortunately, all we usually get to see is the strong part. Okay, we get it, she can work hard. Take her out of her comfort zone once in a while. Show us she's more than just some finely toned legs, blonde hair and a hat.

Episode 8 is probably my favorite so far, anything focusing around applejock is good in my book. I think bab seed is really shaping up to be an identifiable character, and I honestly wish he would get a spot in the mane six, or at least the nwa cmc's. LOVE the color on that background pony

I liked the episode. It tells of the "Dragon Code" and it developed Spike's character a bit. It may not be the best of the season but it wasn't bad at all.

mlfw2230-13266542011259.jpg

They didn't let her wear a moustache.

http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/My-Little-Pony-Friendship-Is-Magic-1-%282nd-Printing%29___418046

I didn't like this episode. I guess we did get a little bit of character development for Spike but the episode itself was average. Just what was the lesson here supposed to be?

I thought it was okay and kind of funny at times, but I didn't like how they exaggerated Spike's clumsiness.

Yeah really. Also where the heck is Peewee, did he fly away or something

edit okay now this made me laugh

aqh4lg5

I liked a lot of the gags but the exaggeration of Spike's negative traits and the lack of character development made the episode weaker than it could've been. also, timberwolves are cool, even when they're cel-shaded.

I just realized something: there are no new episodes being released until MLK weekend... (January 19, for those outside of the US.)
Also:
M.A. Larson confirmed to be the writer of the one episode season finale. It was on Meghan McCarthy's twitter. Not sure if I like the idea of a One Part SF, especially compared to last season's two-part wedding. Please do not make it a cliffhanger for Season Four for the love of Celestia...

Back