Movie Box Office

RE: Movie Discussion Thread II

but sometimes they turn out just as good (The Lord of the Rings) or better (The Princess Bride). so I wouldn't lose all hope.

saw Safety Not Guaranteed. I enjoyed it.

I have hopes for Brave. Only hopes. Honestly, the trailers don't look good at all for the movie and I don't usually judge movies like that but after Cars 2....uggh. That movie...I don't even want to bring that up.

I'm hoping it is on par with WALL-E and Up and if not, I will be disappointed in Pixar again.

dmaster out.

I still want to see Prometheus, looks so good, and I can't wait to see the new The Hobbit movie, I'm very ecstatic about that!

I've heard little about AL:VH, but it sounds like one of those random, weird moves that won't be as good. Then again, you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Or in this case, a movie by it's name.

Brave has my attention also.

I heard to Endorse Brave they fused it with the popular i-phone app Temple run.Wondering If it's worth the 99 cents they're charging though. You never know Maybe Brave will top the charts(probably not...though)

A critic on the radio said "The only thing more stupid than the film Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is its title."

When you're looking at critic's opinions, you have to look at what a majority of the critics think. A lot of the reviews are misguided by stupidity, ignorance, or just trying to say something other critics haven't. Just look up some classics on Rotten Tomatoes. There are some really bad critics out there.

Captain Oats said:
Critics say lots of things.

HypnoticLuxray said:
When you're looking at critic's opinions, you have to look at what a majority of the critics think. A lot of the reviews are misguided by stupidity, ignorance, or just trying to say something other critics haven't. Just look up some classics on Rotten Tomatoes. There are some really bad critics out there.

From the results I have seen, audiences agree with the critic. It opened poorly.

HypnoticLuxray said:

That's why I prefer Metacritic for more professional reviews (they have user ones too, but they have a lot more credible critic review IMO).

The reviews are pretty much across the board signaling mixed opinions, not universal acclaim. A 40 on MC is honestly pretty bad for a movie but that's probably not the only factor on why it did bad.

1. It was going up against a Pixar movie this weekend. Look at history and tell me why you don't do that lol. Not only are families going to see it, but that means more revenue as more kids=more money. 2. It was rated R limiting their audience's makeup. Statistics prove that rated R movies make less than G and PG and that's just facts. Who knows, maybe if it released on another weekend, it might have done better...

dmaster out.

Weekend Box Office (June 22 - 24, 2012)

1 Brave $66,739,000.00
2 Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted $20,200,000.00
3 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter $16,500,000.00
4 Prometheus $10,000,000.00
5 Snow White and the Huntsman $8,013,000.00
5 Rock of Ages $8,000,000.00
7 That's My Boy $7,900,000.00
8 The Avengers $7,040,000.00
9 Men in Black 3 $5,600,000.00
10 Seeking A Friend for the End of the World $3,836,000.00

Seeking A Friend for the End of the World had a poor opening for a Steve Carell movie. Was it because of Brave or because of subject material?

I am not a fan of the genre that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter falls into. Does that genre interest you?

Brave was the number one film, but "which is slightly below average for a Pixar film."

New Movies Coming Soon 06-29-2012

06/29/2012
Madea's Witness Protection
Plot: A shady investment banker and his family are forced into the witness protection program where they move from their posh Connecticut digs to find Southern hospitality lacking at Madea's house.

06/29/2012
Magic Mike
Plot: An up-and-coming male stripper is shown the ropes by some of the more experienced members of this specialized profession.

06/29/2012
Ted
Plot: A man gets more than he bargained for when his childhood wish comes true and his teddy bear is given life.

06/27/2012
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Plot: Six-year-old Hushpuppy grows up in "the Bathtub" a southern Delta community where her father, Wink, seems harsh but is only preparing her for life on her own. A storm and a sudden illness brings on this life much sooner than expected and as beasts menace her, growing ever closer and larger, she will have face down her fears.

06/29/2012
I Heart Shakey
Plot: Widower J.T. O'Neil moves his daughter and beloved Mutt Shakey from their small town to Chicago but a mistake in reading the fine print may leave him no option but to give up their pooch - but his daughter isn't going to let that happen without a fight.

06/29/2012
People Like Us
Plot: After his father dies, a man in financial straights finds himself with a $150,000 inheritance... that goes to a sister he has never met.

06/29/2012
Take This Waltz
Plot: Margot has a seemingly happy marriage to her somewhat geeky cookbook-writing husband, but when she meets Daniel, the attraction is instant. When she learns he has moved in just across the street, she can only hold back her intense feelings so long.

The whole concept of Ted makes me laugh every time I see the Commercial. It looks like it'll be really funny especially if it's from the makers of family guy.

Weekend Box Office (June 29 - July 1, 2012)

1 Ted $54,107,000.00
2 Magic Mike $39,155,000.00
3 Brave $34,011,000.00
4 Madea's Witness Protection $26,350,000.00
5 Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted $11,815,000.00
6 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter $6,000,000.00
7 Prometheus $4,925,000.00
8 Moonrise Kingdom $4,873,000.00
9 Snow White and the Huntsman $4,405,000.00
10 People Like Us $4,306,000.00

Wow! Ted topped the charts I knew It would be popular be not that popular...
I will now go see the movie about a talking Teddy bear.

New Movies Coming Soon 07-06-2012

07/03/2012
The Amazing Spider-Man
Plot: On one hand, Peter Parker is your average high school student - dealing with his crush on Gwen Stacy and the direction of his life. On the other hand, Parker must also deal with his alter-ego, Spider-Man and when he discovers a briefcase that may lead to the answer behind his parents' disappearance, it leads to Dr. Curt Connors of Oscorp, who hides an alter-ego of his own.

07/06/2012
Savages (2012)
Plot: A pair friends - one a laid-back peaceful Buddist, the other an ex-mercenary and Navy SEAL run a homegrown pot-growing business with their mutual girl, Ophelia. When a Mexican cartel moves in and demands they join their operation, their idyllic life is shattered but they won't go down without a fight. With the help of a shady DEA agent, they hope to win against unimaginable odds.

07/06/2012
Crazy Eyes
Plot: A rich, young man aimlessly goes from bar to bar, woman to woman until he find himself enthralled by Rebecca aka Crazy Eyes - a woman he can't have. Aside from his nightlife, both his parents and his son need the attention he doesn't provide, unless, of course, he can finally change his life.

07/06/2012
The Do-Deca-Pentathlon
Plot: A pair of brothers who competed in their own, private 25-event Olympics as children decide to settle the score once an for all as adults.

Going to see the new Spiderman tommorow pretty hyped up about it. Hopefully I can get tickets to see it, is the same release date as UK which is weird for an american film.

I've already seen TASM, and, amazingly, it was pretty good. Very good performance, story, and even an amazing backstory. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but I'll tell you that even I was satisfied with it, and I'm a hardcore movie-goer.

Back