XY Mega / Awakening Mode Battle System

CaseyVGCx

Aspiring Trainer
Note in this thread I'll be referencing other RPGs and MMOs for ideas and suggestions.

Mega Evo = Awakening Mode in this Thread.

In my opinion this Mega Evolution is very similar to an Awakening mode like in other games.
Only certain Pokemon, under certain conditions, can achieve Mega Evolution. One of those conditions is a special item called a Mega Stone. These special stones exist for every Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, and each is named for the Pokemon to which it grants power. To use a Mega Stone, give it to your Pokemon to hold. Pokemon capable of Mega Evolution will gain access to their potential only if they first carry a Mega Stone into battle. Other things are needed for Mega Evolution to succeed, and those secrets will be explained later! Some of the many Mega Stones seem to be hidden in secret places in the Kalos region. Finding every one of them will be one of the challenges awaiting you in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y!

Since the information right now is pretty vague, we can talk about this.

Awakening mode right now requires certain requirements to be activated like holding a certain item. Does that mead the mega evolution happen right when the pokemon is sent out. Or there are more requirements.

I play an KRPGMMO called Elsword which is on steam and a great game. Other MMOs and fighting games have a similar system.

It contains an awakening mode where every time you hit an enemy or get hit by an enemy your awakening bar will fill up.

Where this applies to pokemon is if you successfully hit the enemy it will fill up an awakening bar which varies per pokemon. A random number like 15 hits at or by the enemy will allow you to activate it. Switching shouldn't reset the bar.

For defensive oriented pokemon getting hit or using support moves will boost that.

Another system is to fill up the bar is to basically use the pokemon for a certain amount of turns. Say 10, 15, etc. In online battles it will start from 0 and doesn't drop or decrease if you switch. In singleplayer it could reset when you complete a battle or it will not reset/ continue on from where you left of.

I guess once you're in awakening mode
a 10% stat boost could occur. But the official thing now is a certain stat will be boosted.

Overall I like this Mega Evolution / Awakening mode it seems to speed up the battles I guess and you turn BA.

So suggest any ways that this could be set up in Pokemon.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

To use a Mega Stone, give it to your Pokémon to hold. Pokémon capable of Mega Evolution will gain access to their potential only if they first carry a Mega Stone into battle. Other things are needed for Mega Evolution to succeed, and those secrets will be explained later!
From the pokemon xy website.

It seems that it won't just happen straight away ,rather there are varying criteria for what prompts the megalution

I'm guessing they might need to be at a certain level or have maxed EVs or something, especially with those new minigames that let you EV train. It'd make sense if these are meant to be 'awakened' forms that they'd need to be strong pokemon.

A lot of new information is now posted on the Front Page. It also includes a trailer!

New information doesn't help much, the activation requirements are still not clear yet.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

That's true. Next to the stone they mentioned there is another secret requirement. Maybe it has to do with Pokémon Amie? Making the Pokémon love you before they evolve.

As for other games. Have you played any of the final fantasy games? There was trance and overdrive in nine and ten. It sounds similar to the awakened pokemon. (Wish it was actually called awaken instead of mega...)

Drohn said:
That's true. Next to the stone they mentioned there is another secret requirement. Maybe it has to do with Pokémon Amie? Making the Pokémon love you before they evolve.

Guess I'm screwed then. I use pokemon only for fighting muahaha... JK but I hope that isn't the only requirement. It would be too easy if so.

Maybe it's like Darmanitan's zen mode; it happens during the middle of the battle.

[private]That English needed some fixing badly. Fixed. No PM/Warning since he's very new. *Drohn
maybe it's kinda like darmamitans zen mode it. Happens durin the mid of da battle
[/private]

The demo at the gameshow showed that you can opt to mega evolve when choosing an attack and can attack after mega evolving

TheRoyalXerneas said:
The demo at the gameshow showed that you can opt to mega evolve when choosing an attack and can attack after mega evolving

Here is a photo showing the button you tap to trigger Mega Evoluion:

XY_Prerelease_Mega_Evolution_Battle_Button.png

Bloodronin said:
As for other games. Have you played any of the final fantasy games? There was trance and overdrive in nine and ten. It sounds similar to the awakened pokemon. (Wish it was actually called awaken instead of mega...)

Drohn said:

Guess I'm screwed then. I use pokemon only for fighting muahaha... JK but I hope that isn't the only requirement. It would be too easy if so.

They get happier by fighting too. When you think about that it is a scary thought. I doubt they will use Pomemon Amie to replace the whole entire process of a pokemon being happier/friendlier. Pokemon Amie will probably be another way to increase those faster as well. Then it might not be. I also doubt the mega evolution will have anything to do with Pokemon Amie but you never know.

DrEspeon said:
TheRoyalXerneas said:

Here is a photo showing the button you tap to trigger Mega Evoluion:

XY_Prerelease_Mega_Evolution_Battle_Button.png
This makes me curious, does this mean you can choose when a Pokemon Mega Evolves, and maybe even make it revert in mid battle?

The demo had Mewtwo Mega Evolving, regardless of whether or not a player hit that button... but then that was just a demo, and the battle was meant to show off Mega Evolution too.

It'd be interesting if a player had full control over when a Pokemon Mega Evolved, and could return it to its original form as well. That could result in some interesting strategies, such as Mawile starting with Intimidate or Lucario having Justified before Mega Evolution. They could exploit those abilities then Mega Evolve.

Well I think Mega Evolution and Super Training are related. IMO, to get mega evos you need to max out one stats EVs, eg; Lucario needs its Attack stat to have 255 Evs to see the mega evolve button in battle (Page 2 on the front page says Mega Lucario specializes in Attack), while other Pokémon that specialize in two stats (if there are any) have to get each one to 127.

Blob55 said:
Well I think Mega Evolution and Super Training are related. IMO, to get mega evos you need to max out one stats EVs, eg; Lucario needs its Attack stat to have 255 Evs to see the mega evolve button in battle (Page 2 on the front page says Mega Lucario specializes in Attack), while other Pokémon that specialize in two stats (if there are any) have to get each one to 127.

Seems fairly legit, only real problem is the berries that get rid of EVs would it just magically lose its ability to mega evolve? But, making you put 252 into Lucarios attack, then giving him an increase in attack, then giving him adaptability seems a bit broken.
Yes, it's what we're going to do it anyways, but making that the requirement seems a bit too much for GF. Gotta remember kids play this too.

MuhFugginMoose said:
Blob55 said:

Seems fairly legit, only real problem is the berries that get rid of EVs would it just magically lose its ability to mega evolve? But, making you put 252 into Lucarios attack, then giving him an increase in attack, then giving him adaptability seems a bit broken.
Yes, it's what we're going to do it anyways, but making that the requirement seems a bit too much for GF. Gotta remember kids play this too.

I only really came up with the idea because the DS Digimon games have something like that (like reach 200 in Attack and Defense to evolve), but in Digimon you can make most stats go to 999.

I guess instead of maxing a certain EV to mega evolve, you could just get the right Nature at a high enough level.

Blob55 said:
MuhFugginMoose said:

I only really came up with the idea because the DS Digimon games have something like that (like reach 200 in Attack and Defense to evolve), but in Digimon you can make most stats go to 999.

I guess instead of maxing a certain EV to mega evolve, you could just get the right Nature at a high enough level.
Ooh using nature would be a good idea. It would make it more important and spread the knowledge of it to the younger players who just catch their pokes and dont pay attention to that. It also makes sense. A timid amphoros isn't going to become a kick ass, hair flowing, beat. He needs to be adamant and strong. Kangaskhan would need a lonely nature. She's bored of fighting by herself so out comes the baby!

Ohman177 said:
Blob55 said:

Ooh using nature would be a good idea. It would make it more important and spread the knowledge of it to the younger players who just catch their pokes and dont pay attention to that. It also makes sense. A timid amphoros isn't going to become a kick ass, hair flowing, beat. He needs to be adamant and strong. Kangaskhan would need a lonely nature. She's bored of fighting by herself so out comes the baby!

They would not do that they don't force kids to do anything in the games. Plus it would make lots of people mad.

zappy800 said:
They would not do that they don't force kids to do anything in the games. Plus it would make lots of people mad.

Gotta agree, if there are any further requirements, which I doubt there are, they're not going to be something random that we can't help. Here's a reason I doubt IVs or nature will have anything to do with it. . .

Quite simply, The Torchic that's going to be given out. . . It's bound to have a random nature, and it's already ready to mega evolve, you just gotta get it to become a Blaziken. Perhaps, all it needs is a DW pokemon or something of the sort. I couldn't imagine it being an invisible value that dictates whether it can go mega or not. If that were the case, the kids that don't play like we do, would never see a MegaMawile. Because when you're 10. You don't care about nature and EVs, you just want a cool looking Pokemon. . .
As I said before, this game is also aimed towards kids. . .

Also,
Got to thinking, this whole mega evolution thing. How is the stat boosts going to work? Like how Lucario gets an increase in attack. Is it base attk? Or would it be like a free Swords dance. Because if it's the latter, it's really not going to be that great of an asset. Not anymore at least. Watching Mewtwo mega evolve was pretty and all but I saw no, "Mewtwos Special attack rose sharply". I would assume it's the actual base stat as opposed to a free SD, Nasty Plot, Acid Armor etc. Because as I said, now, with the introduction of Topsy Turvy, that could actually be hurtful towards what we thought would be a strong Pokemon. . .

Back