Finished Mafia XXXV: Pokemon Card GB3: Team GR's Last Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
This wasn't my intention - I wasn't trying to make anything appear stronger or weaker (it shouldn't look like that in my original case) - King X responded to the weak stuff and neglected the strong stuff, which is what I think is scummy.

Then may I ask you @Celever, what exactly are you referring to when you are talking about baiting KX? If it is what I said, then could you give an example from bbninjas posts that proves his intention to make the smaller points more important than his main point?

I'm pretty sure Celever's referring to me leaving the weak points in the case to bait KX.

Btw, I finished rereading the whole thing about Excal and I now understand that there are high chanses that either (if not both) Jesi or Excal is scum. Unless I am missing something , Excal explained that Jesi told him to contribute and vote, but Jesi stated earlier that she didn't talk with her, and even voted for Excal. So.. someone is lying.

I do this all the time though..? I always am trying to fish out responses. I admit that I do analyse flaws in my arguments and still leave the weak ones in my cases, but this is a technique that I sometimes use to get reactions (this is the "baiting" I refer to). TGK cases were big ones. Though... in those cases TGK flipped town... so maybe you're right in that this technique doesn't work. >_>
Fishing out responses is a bit different. Scouting for poor responses by applying fake pressure is alright in the early game, but actively trying to make a player slip up by giving them an awkward post to respond to is manipulative. I don't think that KX not responding to one or two of your points is scummy as it is something which all players do from time to time if they are awkward points to respond to, or simply because they didn't think they were important to respond to. Personally I think the parts of your case which you are claiming are your strongest points are your weakest. Not playing optimally doesn't mean that the player is scum, and it usually means the inverse. Your case boils down to "with hindsight, this would have been a bit better", and that's not a case. I said this in my last post and you didn't respond to it, even where you addressed me calling your case terrible a bit further down your post -- does this make you scum? Because that's the main reason why you think KX is scum. Maybe I wasn't super clear enough for you but... neither were you.
I disagree that these are "minor flaws". I think that anyone who entertained the thought that Excal slipped after the "slip" was resolved are suspicious. King X's posts seem like the typical scum making paths to jump on/off bandwagons. Scum pushing someone like KX is subjective.
When exactly was the slip resolved? Like ngl, I stayed away from everything to do with Excal because it was a confusing mess of a non-case. There wasn't a single moment in time where the case was "resolved", and it wouldn't surprise me if KX was simply confused.

But either way, this is once again "with hindsight, that post wasn't the best use of time". So? Not playing optimally isn't grounds for a lynch.

And town keep their options open too, it's not just a scum thing to do. KX is always somewhat enigmatic in this regard.

And I wouldn't say it's subjective so much as anecdotal. However, anecdotal evidence shouldn't be ignored in this game, unlike most aspects of life.
Oh, thanks. >.>;
Don't hate the messenger! :U Everyone was thinking it... your case got no support.
If you're expecting me to defend my case from being named "terrible", I really can't if there isn't reasons. And, well, you can see above for my response to me being scummy/manipulative.
I provided reasoning in the post you quoted and you ignored it.
bb is scum confirmed guys lynch him.

Seriously, the main part of my post is that your case boils down to "his play wasn't optimal" as well as you being manipulative with how you framed your case. You didn't answer one of the main points of my post, therefore you are scum, yes? That's your logic on KX, so it should work here too.
The pressure hasn't finished yet - I still haven't got the response for the upper section of my case that I need.
What are you even holding out on now? The stuff about Excal? The part of your case is the worst part. There is no fathomable response, and I don't know what you're expecting from him.
Maybe... but this doesn't explain why King X was vocal on his doubts and not his suspicions pre-claim.
Was he actually posting in this time, though? You're acting like the guy on snapchat who gets annoyed at someone for ignoring them when they haven't even opened their snap -- I'm pretty sure he just wasn't around, or that he didn't see a major reason to fill us in on his suspicions. It's fair enough.
This wasn't my intention - I wasn't trying to make anything appear stronger or weaker (it shouldn't look like that in my original case) - King X responded to the weak stuff and neglected the strong stuff, which is what I think is scummy.
But your strong stuff appeared to be your weaker stuff. If KX didn't have enough time and/or willpower to respond to everything in your post, I would have also responded to the stuff he did. I don't think there is a response he can give about Excal because he didn't do anything wrong in the situation.
Then may I ask you @Celever, what exactly are you referring to when you are talking about baiting KX? If it is what I said, then could you give an example from bbninjas posts that proves his intention to make the smaller points more important than his main point?
bb is correct. Which is even worse, because it shows he consciously did it.
Btw, I finished rereading the whole thing about Excal and I now understand that there are high chanses that either (if not both) Jesi or Excal is scum. Unless I am missing something , Excal explained that Jesi told him to contribute and vote, but Jesi stated earlier that she didn't talk with her, and even voted for Excal. So.. someone is lying.
I don't think we can read into what either of them said too much. They definitely talked outside of the thread -- Excal wouldn't lie about that and the emotion in her posts was genuine -- so Jesi is the liar. Probably because she's new and didn't want to get into trouble for breaking the main rule of the game.

I don't think we can read into what either of them said too much. They definitely talked outside of the thread -- Excal wouldn't lie about that and the emotion in her posts was genuine -- so Jesi is the liar. Probably because she's new and didn't want to get into trouble for breaking the main rule of the game.

Sounds logical.

@TheFlyingPidove - Join the party (already).
You said you'll be active today. Try to read about what happened so you can comment about what you think.

@bbninjs - about the baiting issue, I agree that the point on KX about Excal didn't look like it is your main point. Therefore, I, for example, commented also on the weaker points. I think that is just one thing that proves how this strategy doesn't work. However, it is weird, because you did mention in the same post that the strong point is your main point.
Overall, it is too ..confusing. Not sure if it is scummy, since you did mention what is your main point, even though noone got it because of how insignificant it looks like. ( in the beginning of the post, like an intro to the real points you want to talk about).

Game freeze. This is a host pause and not caused by any player.

TheFlyingPidove has subbed out.

Rather than deal with multiple players V/LA for Nationals or personal reasons, as well as the American holiday weekend, Mafia 35 is on hold until July 5th. This will give players time to get home and caught up before we dive back into day two.

Vote count as of post 574:

mordacazir: 1 (FP Effect)
bbninjas: 2 (King Xerneas, Celever)
Reinforce: 0 (Celever)
thegrovylekid: 1 (scattered mind)
King Xerneas: 1 (bbninjas)
scattered mind: 1 (Professor Palutena)

Not voting: 12 (PikaMasterJesi, thegrovylekid, double o squirtle, Camoclone, ExcalAura4D, Squirtle Squad, Reinforce, Luispipe8, Jabberwock, TheFlyingPidove, mordacazir, Vom)

Important answers to important questions:

1. There will be a 24-hour extension of day two, meaning day two will end July 8th at some point.
2. Votes will not be reset.
3. If you are part of a QuickTopic, you may post in it, but please keep the off-topic posting to a minimum.

You have ~72 hours to review the thread, make your cases on others, and generally prepare for the game to resume. No one except Jesi and Camoclone has anything resembling an excuse to not be anything but totally prepared to kick things into high gear come July 5.

Hilariously enough, Jabberwock has a mod-approved absence from July 5-8 which he submitted to me days ago, so he's in the clear.

Like this post to confirm you have seen it, read it, and agree to it. I want all seventeen of you to have liked this post by the time the game resumes or you will be subbed out due to inactivity (not Jabberwock).

Last edited:
Okay this will probably be the only post I'll do from my computer (this thing is unbearable).

Anyways the Excal thing doesn't really make sense to me imo. I wouldn't say I was entertaining than saying she could've slipped. I could've said the same thing for Jesi, I mean i could've even said the same thing with Celever's little RF thing. Plus how would it open it to a lynch? This is the part where it seems like you're really reaching. What I mentioned with Excal was that "yeah they could've had a slip, they are new after all" but I mentioned right after that it was most likely due to Jesi tagging her. The only thing that didn't sit well with me was her attitude in the beginning. I don't think anyone even payed attention to that post of mine anyways.

I'll probably never give a response good enough on the quaking thing since bb has his scum goggles on me, but between points B and C on bb's case there were quite a bit of posts that made good arguments which shifted my opinion, at least as far as I recall from going through them yesterday.

That's a warning.

I still need three signatures but have only two subs left. If this is still the case by tomorrow, I will have no option but to modkill someone.

GM DracLord replaces ExcalAura4D.

If you are the kind of player who can't be bothered to check on this thread in four days then you are not the kind of player I want in my game. When you are inactive, you hurt everyone, not just you. When you are town, you deprive the village of your voice and your scum hunting. When you are scum, you put your squad down a man and in a game where every scum counts, it's imperative that everyone does his or her part.

I hope this doesn't happen again. Let's hit the ground running. Day two resumes now. It ends July 8th at 10 AM CST, or about 72.5 hours from the time of this post.

Here is a vote count, with the substitutes' names swapped in where appropriate.

@bbninjas: 2 (@King Xerneas, @Celever)
Reinforce: 0 (Celever
thegrovylekid: 1 (@scattered mind)
King Xerneas: 1 (bbninjas)
scattered mind: 1 (@Professor Palutena)

Not voting: 12 (@PikaMasterJesi, @thegrovylekid, @double o squirtle, @Camoclone, @GM DracLord, @Squirtle Squad, @Reinforce, @Luispipe8, @Jabberwock, @homeofmew, @mordacazir, @Vom)

You are all tagged. If you didn't get tagged, too bad; you should be watching this thread.

If you don't post at least three times today, you will be subbed out due to inactivity. (May not apply if the day ends really quickly, but it also might, so get your posting in.) If more than one player does not meet this requirement, the player who comes furthest from meeting it will be replaced. If more than one person qualifies for removal, random.org will decide who leaves. Three posts is not a whole lot though, so I'm hoping it doesn't come to this.

Jabberwock has a mod-approved absence through July 8. He is the only one who is exempt from being subbed out.

@mordacazir - Have you read everything that was going on before the break? Are you ready to post your thoughts?

What do you think about Celever saying Reinforce is town?

@mordacazir - Have you read everything that was going on before the break? Are you ready to post your thoughts?
Yes.
What do you think about Celever saying Reinforce is town?
I can only find him saying KX is town, where did he say that?
My opinions on bb:
I think his case is strange and other than his normal cases where he is town, but I don't know what is different do. Just a feeling.
I dislike the case on KX. Very subjective, very "you weren't optimal", which doesn't equate to scum (in fact, usually the inverse). KX doesn't always post his thoughts immediately, so maybe he thought quaking was scummy in the 100 post difference between his initial thoughts on quaking and quaking's claim??

##VOTE: bbninjas
Why are you "baiting" your targets? If a case is good, it'll stick. Having to use manipulative techniques such as baiting and trying to cause a response in a player is only a scum tactic, because it results in players of any alignment appearing scummy.

I think KX is town and you saw very minor flaws in his posts and decided to push a case. I did the same thing last time I was scum, because it seems like KX is sometimes easy to try and force a town lynch on. However, I think your case is terrible, and the methods with which you're going about getting a reaction out of him are scummy and unnecessarily manipulative. So you're scum, not him.

I was letting the pressure play out to see what happened, and I'm glad I did.
This is exactly what I think, and if bb turns out as town. It is pretty much confirmed that Celever is scum. So, ##VOTE: bbninjas
But:
Addendum: Your vote weight is 0 during day two.
So this is just a vote that doesn't count.
I seriously have a vote on me again. :( I don't know why.

I'm surprised my phone didn't spam me with emails over the time I was gone.

Anyways, I happened to return a day early, but since the game was on hold, I decided to catch up on things and comment where I felt necessary and where I felt I could. (By that, I mean where I felt I had something decent to say.) This is being copy-pasted from a Word document, so apologies if quote tags get messed up and all that.

This might be true. However, I'm also considering the level of activity, which may indicate that he is scum, as he is more active as town.
I think this is an interesting point, considering that in Mafia 33 and 34, Carson was very active. From what I’ve seen, it isn’t characteristic of him to not post as much, so I think he’s someone to keep our eye on for now.

My role isn't at all useful like the Mia Fey was, and we don't have good scumreads on anyone yet.
This doesn’t mean you can’t be contributing or posting.

I can't follow up on anything for Jesi since she's not even here atm so why not wait till she's here?
Hi, I’m here now. I don’t understand why you’d need to wait for me to come back to follow up on me, though.

Excal explained that Jesi told him to contribute and vote, but Jesi stated earlier that she didn't talk with her, and even voted for Excal. So.. someone is lying.
Alright, I’m going to tell everything about this.

What Excal said was true. I hadn’t seen him posting too much, so in Skype, I told him “Hey, you should get more active”. The tag was before I said this and was only because I wanted him to play. Anyways, when Excal had posted saying someone had told him to contribute, I panicked, because that was basically admitting to OC, and I was scared of getting modkilled, so I decided to play like I didn’t know about any conversation and try to make him look like scum. I will admit it was a bit of hypocrisy after the whole Quaking incident, and it was not only trying to cover up the OC Excal had mentioned, but also attempting to get the attention off me (which surprisingly worked a little), and it wasn’t something I should’ve done in the first place.

That being said, I’m ready to take all the fire and flames from this confession.

The KX case is something that I’m still trying to wrap my head around, as I don’t really understand it all that well, but I’ll do my best to make some comments on it. What I'm seeing is that he got all defensive after a few questions and BB is jumping on that.

@mordacazir, this is what you're looking for:
I'm 99% I had a night action reveal scum. Ordinarily I would hold onto this until the end of the day, but out of fear of a day big, I'll say now that it was RF. Need to do some chores, bbl. <3

##VOTE: Reinforce

You're ... 99% sure? How can you be 99% sure that a night action revealed scum?

NVM, my night action confirmed that RF is town.

Good thing I went back and double checked! :x

Also, FP is the Favourite Pokémon effect. It might be a good idea to go back and check your role PM.

One last thing I want to say: I played absolutely terrible in Day 1, and I could’ve done so many things differently. I’m going to improve on what I did wrong and do my best to contribute.

simsands blew up Keeper.

Not sure who to vote for, but it seems RF is clear.
TGK isn't normal TGK but playstyle changes =/= scum.

Well, now that Celever has already commented on the KX case, might as well stop waiting.
Translation: Now that it's "safe" for me to post something that I was afraid I'd be called out for I'm going to swoop in and try to get some town cred.

I'm going to ISO both SM and KX.

##VOTE: SCATTERED MIND

On KoN his posts had no substance and what substance they did have were relatively irrelevent to the game. Be weary of people who are unusually inactive. It's a relatively popular scum technique here because it is easy to inactively fly under the radar without retribution.

Celever is soft cleared. He obviously was who PMJ was referencing here.
Second: Game balance is important when designing a game. It's fun to design cool, unique roles, but you have to take care that you don't favor one side over the other, or overlook a possible combination that would force the game down a path you as the designer had no intention of it going down. This is what is called a "breaking strategy". A simple example of this would be having an unclaimed doctor using his power to protect a claimed seer. This has given birth to the phrase "follow the cop" which refers to this breaking strategy. The game is decided solely on who the seer chooses to investigate, and the scum have no choice but to scoop due to the massive number of clears making winning impossible.

It took me a day to notice it, but several of you have attempted to or planned on trying to break my setup by using a card outside the scope of its intended use. I am going to tell you that that plan is not going to work. I understand the idea and, as someone who would, with no qualms, utilize a breaking strategy, appreciate the effort, but I am not so careless a host that I would allow my scum to be sniffed out so easily. At no time should any card or Ability usage be used to determine the alignments of any player unless that card or Ability specifically says it does.

If this was just through the actions of one player, I would not say anything, but the integrity of this game is at stake. Several of you are guilty of this and you know who you are. The last thing anyone wants is for this game to devolve into a strategy that, if left unchecked, would spell an autoloss for the town. I know what you are all looking for and I'm intervening to tell you that you will never find it. You'll just have to find the scum the good old-fashioned way.

There will be no punishments for trying to or planning on breaking the setup, just knowledge for your brain.

Game continues. No extension.

This is exactly what I think, and if bb turns out as town. It is pretty much confirmed that Celever is scum. So, ##VOTE: bbninjas

I don't think that it would confirm Celever as scum. By that logic, you should already find Celever scum for leading the case on quakingpunch.

Translation: Now that it's "safe" for me to post something that I was afraid I'd be called out for I'm going to swoop in and try to get some town cred.

I was waiting for KX response for bbninjas without anyone else giving him the answer to see what he might say. I even said that beforehand.

In addition to what scattered said, if my post is exactly what you think and you agree with it, then surely you would also be scum for agreeing with everything I said? ._.
Celever obviously was who PMJ was referencing here.
Probably. Leaves me unsure whether RF is actually confotown or if PMJ had modified the results of the action already by that point.

##VOTE: scattered mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back