Not open for further replies.

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
These were my Overzealous results:
Night 1: Jesi Targeted Nobody
Night 2: Unused
Night 3: Drac targeted nobody
Night 4: Scattered targeted RF
Here is the link to our QT (though you've seen everything there): http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/fjXCckdJWVQ
I find it funny how Drac and I made terrible reasoning against Camo, and he actually turned out to be scum.

Don't worry, I will. (It's not like that will help you that much, as all my (decent) cases were against fellow townies)
P.S. Sorry for attacking you, Drac :(

No worries, not your fault. This all happen because both of us never own the original qt. The funny thing I was worried DoS might manipulate Excal but it turn out bb who is the one manipulating Jesi.

I must applaud you. For a new player you pretty active, heck your are more active then most of the living player at some point.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Mafia 35 Postgame

PLAYER / ROLE ANALYSIS

Admit it, this is really all you guys are waiting for, so here it comes. Players are listed in alphabetical order for your convenience.

bbninjas as King Vilrich, Leader of Team GR

You are King Vilrich, and you are aligned with Team GR. You have become obsessed with the Legendary Pokemon Cards and you originally formed Team GR to help you get them. Now that you've started to recruit some good guys to your side, though, you feel your chances of getting them are better than ever. Your TCG skills are such that there is no one around who can defeat you. Your loss to Mark was the only one you've had in fifteen years, and you will be absolutely sure there isn't a second one.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Mewtwo.

180px-MewtwoBaseSet10.jpg

FP Effect: Energy Absorption
When you use a card, there is a 10% chance the card will be returned to your hand after its use. Starting with day 2 and every day after that, the chances of this ability working increase by 10%.​

Ability: Psychic Star
Once a night, pick a player. When you are lynched, the role PM of the last player you chose will be sent to the scum QuickTopic.

Ability: Juxtapose (locked)
Unlocks when any member of Team GR dies

Ability: Psychic (locked)
Unlocks when Courtney (or whoever is using Courtney as a safe claim) dies

Ability: Reflect Shield (locked)
Unlocks when Steve (or whoever is using Steve as a safe claim) dies

Ability: Psychic Erase (locked)
Unlocks when Jack (or whoever is using Jack as a safe claim) dies

Ability: Psychic Infinity (locked)
Unlocks when Rod (or whoever is using Rod as a safe claim) dies

Ability: Light of Awakening (locked)
Unlocks when Mark dies

Ability: Dark Amplification (locked)
Unlocks when you are the last living member of Team GR

Win Condition: Achieve parity or better with Club Alliance

Ability unlocks:

Ability: Juxtapose
Once a game during any day, you may use this Ability. You may rearrange all currently cast votes in any way you see fit. When you use this Ability, any votes cast from the time you you use it until the time I resolve it won't count.

Ability: Psychic
Once a night, pick a player other than you. You will learn that player's role name, flavor text, Favorite Pokemon, and FP Effect.

Ability: Reflect Shield
Non-lethal Abilities have no effect on you.

Ability: Psychic Erase
Once a night, choose a card in your hand and pick a player. If that player has the card you chose in his or her hand, they will discard it. If they don't, they will still lose a randomly chosen card, but you will lose the card you chose as well.

Ability: Psychic Infinity
Once a night, pick a player. At the start of the next day, you will learn every card in that player's hand.

Ability: Light of Awakening
You may have up to two votes active at one time, but they must both be for different players. If you don't specify a player when you unvote, both your votes will be removed.

Ability: Dark Amplification
Your base vote weight is 2. When you unlock this Ability, you will gain another copy of all previously used GR Support Cards.

Safe claim:

You are Murray, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. You've been leader of the Psychic Club for a long time, much to everyone's disdain. You're immature and your favorite things to do are troll new players and quote memes. You've been employing a stall deck since the very beginning that has only proved to be more and more difficult to beat as time goes on. No matter what new cards come out, you've always been able to employ at least one new card from each set to make your deck that much harder to win against. This has proved infuriating to both new players and veterans alike because you seem to get more satisfaction out of trolling and being a jerk than you do actually battling.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Alakazam.

180px-AlakazamBaseSet1.jpg

FP Effect: Psylink
When you use a card, there is a 10% chance the card will be returned to your hand after its use. Starting with day 2 and every day after that, the chances of this ability working increase by 10%.​

Ability: Suppression
Once a night, pick a player. If a kill would resolve on you tonight, it will resolve on the player you chose instead. Once you have diverted a kill in this way, you can't use this Ability anymore.

Ability: Damage Swap (locked)
Unlocks when certain conditions are met

Ability: Teleport Blast (locked)

Ability: Power Cancel (locked)

Ability: Mind Shock (locked)

Ability: Zen Force (locked)

Ability: Mysterious Beam (locked)

Ability: Energy Jump (locked)

Win Condition: Eliminate Team GR

Player analysis: bbninjas is not often scum, so he was able to slip under the radar the whole game. He coordinated his team to the best of his many, many abilities and was an active participant in the main thread as well. During day 5, he took a risk by revealing that his abilities unlocked when characters died. If anyone had noticed that bb was getting stronger every time a Grand Master died, Vom might have actually shot him instead of protecting him literally every single night. He joined up with Jesi in a QT halfway through the game and said a couple questionable things to her, like telling her to use Misty and then vote immediately in mylo, and saying that you're not supposed to cast suspicion on players when that is, quite literally, the opposite of what you should do. No one wised up though, so he was in the clear. Also, hilariously, Energy Absorption didn't proc a single time.

Role analysis: This was such a cool role. I had originally wanted the Legendary Pokemon Cards to actually be a thing, like cards that were actually in play, and every time a Grand Master was killed, their card would fall into Team GR's hands and Team GR would get stronger. Things didn't turn out quite like that, but I still managed to put the spirit of the idea into this role. In hindsight, it wasn't that great an idea. Squirtle Squad mentioned in the graveyard that the second bb claimed he should have been lynched; his role is way too complex compared to the others. My train of thought was that since I mentioned that Murray loved to troll players, that his role would troll the user by not telling him any of its abilities. Still, it definitely was too complex and to be honest the only reason Juxtapose is even a thing is because Damage Swap fit p e r f e c t l y as a safe claim ability name. It's a strong ability but I don't think it's super OP (okay it is a little bit OP). It definiely would not have been as strong if the scum didn't run pretty much a perfect game. Still, definitely could have been removed and nothing of value would be lost.

Camoclone as Catherine, Lightning Fort Leader

You are Catherine, and you are aligned with Team GR. You and Isaac graduated from college together and, for a time, you were a couple, but it didn't last long. As the leader of the Lightning Fort, your job is to make sure that the electrical systems for the entire island stay up and running. You've heard stories about the massive system that Isaac has set up in his club, and that makes you really, really jealous. He always was better at that stuff.

Your favorite Pokemon is Jolteon.

180px-JolteonJungle4.jpg

FP Effect: Yellow Ray
Once a night, pick a player. That player will have an unremovable vote on them for the duration of the next day. The source will be shown as "FP Effect".​

Ability: Lightning Flash
Once a night, pick two players. If the first player uses an Ability that resolves on another player, it will instead resolve on the second player.

Safe claim:

You are Rick, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. You're the leader of the Science Club, and in a land where clubs are named after the type of card used there, your club has still remained the most confusing to figure out. Even after all these years, you're still a stereotypical loser shut-in nerd, but you are hugely smart and pretty darn good at the TCG, so you're the leader and that's that. Maybe someday all your brain power can help you figure out how to get a girlfriend. Nikki will come around eventually, right?

Your favorite Pokemon is Muk.

180px-MukFossil13.jpg

FP Effect: Sticky Goo
Once a night, pick a player. That player will have an unremovable vote on them for the duration of the next day. The source will be shown as "FP Effect".​

Ability: Sludge Festival
Once a night, pick two players. If the first player uses an Ability that resolves on another player, it will instead resolve on the second player.

Player analysis: A lot less pressure from Camoclone this time around. I don't know if it's because he was scum (and said he didn't care the town was in a lull during the early game), or because he was gone for a few days, but it was refreshing to not have to sift through 25 pages of Celever and Camoclone going at it like an old married couple. He didn't post all that often in the scum chat but was more than active in the game thread proper and I can't complain about that.

Role analysis: If I could redo this role, I would replace the FP Effect with something else completely. I'm not used to these tiny games. In the end the FP Effect didn't have a huge impact on the game but I still don't like the idea of a free vote, especially when it belongs to scum. With that said, I'm a little surprised no one even thought to mention that mord had the FP vote on him for pretty much the entire game. King Xerneas was driven from bbninjas to Squirtle Squad during night 3 (which is probably a good thing), and that convinced KX to claim his buff role. The scum took immediate note, drove him again--this time to Reinforce--during night 4, and killed him to dispose of any potential evidence. Awesome.

Celever as Grandmaster Steve

You are Steve, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. They call you "Thunder Steve." The first time Team GR attacked, you had been recently promoted to the Grand Masters. They exploited this change in Grand Hall security to break in, kidnap all four of you, and hightail it back to GR Island. Mark and Mint eventually freed you all, but for a good while after that, you were affectionately known as "Blunder Steve." You've been entrusted with the Legendary Zapdos and all of its horrifying, randomized power, and you count yourself among the best TCG players in the world. If Team GR wants to dance with the god of lightning... it's their funeral.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Zapdos.

180px-ZapdosBaseSet16.jpg

FP Effect: Anti-Lightning
Non-lethal Abilities have no effect on you.​

Ability: Thunder Gift
Once a game during any night, if three or more Club Alliance members have been lynched, pick a player. You will learn that player's alignment, and your results will be accurate.

Player analysis: Celever thought he had Reinforce cleared as town when he Hand Scoped him and no GR Support Cards were found. When Celever said that he definitively knew that Reinforce was town without having used his seer power, I knew the hand check was the reason. I decided to step in after realizing that multiple players had the same idea Celever did. I didn't want the town to bury itself looking for something it was never gonna find (GR Support Cards were not kept in the hand as they were community cards and not linked to one specific player). Celever was pretty much a name kill during night 2 which was pretty unfortunate. After I gave him an honorary use of his Ability in the graveyard, they all learned bb was ultra king scum lord.

Role analysis: Celever drawing this role was both a blessing and a curse. His FP Effect made him immune to everything, which made for amusement in the early game when people name targeted him. Anyone who knows my setups knows I detest straight seer roles and every game I try to put a fair spin on it to make it less OP. For this game I decided to keep it sane, but only make it available after three mislynches. In hindsight, I think I should have reduced it to two mislynches, or maybe just let it be one-shot and left it at that.

GM DracLord (formerly ExcalAura4D) as Mark, the Hero

You are Mark, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. You trounced Team GR once before, and you don't see why you can't do it again. Fifteen years' worth of experience has turned you into a world-class player, and meeting Mint was icing on the cake. Is she really working for Team GR? It would break your heart if it were true.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Blastoise.

200px-BlastoiseBaseSet2.jpg

FP Effect: Water Pressure
Any time you cast your vote for the same person as Mint (or whoever is using Mint as a safe claim), your base vote weight is 2.​

Ability: Double Cannon
You may have up to two votes active at one time, but they must both be for different players. If you don't specify a player when you unvote, both your votes will be removed.

Player analysis: One thing I like about Drac is that he always plays with his hand close to the vest. Sometimes he'll leave bread crumbs but rarely outright claims unless the need presents itself. Still, thanks to this aspect and also Drac having English as a secondary language means that pushing a lynch on him can be super easy. In this particular game, Drac claiming Mark at the very end was perfect; as the only confirmed town player in the setup, it should have been clear that both bbninjas and Professor Palutena were scum trying to quickhammer him after Drac claimed and they still pushed his lynch. If bbninjas didn't have Juxtapose to end the game, things could have been a little different, but them's the breaks.

Role analysis: A twist on the mayor role but without the stupid vote shenanigans that accompanied tgk in 33 or whatever game it was. It sucked that Mint was lynched instantly, but oh well. I added (or whoever is using Mint as a safe claim) just to add ambiguity to her allegiance so I wouldn't have two confirmed townies in the setup. I think the Ability is kinda useless though.

Jabberwock as Mr. Ishihara

You are Mr. Ishihara, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. An avid collector, you don't particularly care about building competitive decks. Instead, you are content to while away your time searching for rare cards to add to your collection. You are also a fan of Colorless Pokemon and have, on more than one occasion, parted ways with some of your duplicate cards just to help trainers add to their collections.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Cool Porygon.

180px-CoolPorygonWizardsPromo15.jpg

FP Effect: Data Check
At the start of each day, you will be given the effects of a random card. You will not be given effects of any card that you have previously held.​

Ability: Texture Magic
You will gain the Abilities of the first player to die.

After quaking was lynched, Jabberwock inherited his Ability:

Ability: Crisis Vine
Once a night, pick a player. Any card usage by that player will fail during this night.

Player analysis: Jabberwock also went through the whole game without mentioning anything about his role and he wasn't ever up for a lynch so he was able to just sit back and do his thing. He was also fairly active during the time he was actually around and faithfully submitted night actions so overall some very solid play.

Role analysis: This role had the potential to swing a lot since, if you notice, it can copy the abilities of either alignment. I was hoping that the player of this role would share card information with the town, but no one really even questioned cards or their effects. As far as the ability that the role copied, it ended up being very low swing, so it wasn't so bad. I was afraid having his Favorite Pokemon be Cool Porygon as opposed to just Porygon would get him lynched, but I figured if anyone had bothered to look up who Ishihara was then they would see that it was well within the flavor to have a special FP.

Keeper of Night as Bernard, Fire Fort Leader

You are Bernard, and you are aligned with Team GR. The leader of the Fire Fort on GR Island, you once kidnapped Courtney, the Fire Queen. It didn't last long, but not many people can say they've done what you've done. It was your idea to infiltrate the clubs and attempt to win their leaders to your side. Before you joined Team GR, you were a chef and in the running for Fire Club Master, but when Ken was chosen instead, you swore you'd prove to everyone that the Fire Club chose poorly.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Rapidash.

180px-RapidashJungle44.jpg

FP Effect: Burning Mane
Most investigation attempts on you will fail.​

Ability: Pickup Power
Once a night, pick a player other than you. You will learn that player's role name, flavor text, Favorite Pokemon, and FP Effect.

Safe claim:

You are Courtney, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. You are a TCG prodigy who became the youngest Grand Master in history, and you are a role model to young women the world over. Thanks to the energy-gifting flames of the Legendary Moltres, you are capable of unleashing a stream of relentless, superpowered attacks, and not much but scorched earth is left once you've finished an opponent. If Team GR believes they can take the heat, they are more than welcome to try.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Moltres.

180px-MoltresFossil12.jpg

FP Effect: Wildfire
Most investigation attempts on you will fail.​

Ability: Flame Gift
Once a night, pick a player other than you. You will learn that player's role name, flavor text, Favorite Pokemon, and FP Effect. If you target a member of Team GR with this ability, you will learn their safe claim information instead.

Player analysis: He barely did anything during day 1 and was blown to smithereens night 1 thanks to a 1-in-15 chance of scum choosing the bomb to night kill. His one use of his ability failed because he targeted Celever, who was ascetic.

Role analysis: The best way to use this role is to find the Grand Masters since they unlocked Vilrich's abilities, and that's what bb did after he inherited it.

King Xerneas as Imakuni?

You are Imakuni?, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. A strange individual, no one knows who--or what--you are. Some find your fascination with Pokemon to be creepy, but you're really not a bad guy. You love the TCG and have fun challenging others to duels. Legend has it that the packs you give out to trainers have exceptionally powerful cards in them. How could this be??

Your Favorite Pokemon is Slowbro.

180px-SlowbroFossil43.jpg

FP Effect: Strange Behavior
Does nothing.​

Ability: Madkinesis
Your FP Effect's effect automatically changes to that of the last player who died.

Ability: Fickle Attack
Once a night, discard a card from your hand. At the start of the next day, you will learn the names of all other players who also hold that card.

Ability: Full-Belly Refresh
Once a night, pick a player. If that player has any Abilities that can be used at night, they will be buffed in some way during the next night.

Player analysis: King Xerneas stayed on the dl until he mentioned that he wanted to be night killed, oops I mean had an ability that could buff other players. The scum started salivating at that point and so night 3 they redirected him to a scum buddy and then killed him dead. It's because of this buff to their scum buddy Reinforce that Luis's card action was blocked and that's how it's entirely King Xerneas's fault for getting Luis killed. :D

Role analysis: Another role that could potentially be swingy but nothing bad happened. King Xerneas never used Fickle Attack so I can't really mention how it affected the game, but this is one of the Abilities that Keeper's investigation immunity would block.

Luispipe8 as Grand Master Rod

You are Rod, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. Together, you and Mark formed the Club Alliance to stand up against Team GR. Your job as leader of the Grand Masters is largely in name only; only a handful of trainers have ever earned the right to challenge you ever since Mark became Champion. Some people think this has made you soft, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The healing powers of the Legendary Dragonite have earned you the nickname "Rod the Immortal." How can you defeat a person whose Pokemon seemingly never die? Let Team GR come and learn a lesson in futility.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Dragonite.

180px-DragoniteFossil4.jpg

FP Effect: Special Delivery
Instead of being given a nightly card by Dr. Mason, you will start the game with five randomly chosen cards. If at the start of any day you have no cards in your hand, you will be given five randomly chosen cards.​

Ability: Miraculous Wind
Once a night, pick a player. At the start of the next day, you will learn every card in that player's hand.

Ability: Healing Wind
As often as you like during any day, pick a player. If that player is chosen to be lynched, they will not be lynched, and the day will end with no lynch. Once this has happened, you can't use this Ability anymore.

Player analysis: Nearly survived until the end of the game, but didn't post too much until the day he died. Probably would have lived until the end if bb hadn't scanned him. Luis never pardoned anyone over the course of the game, which I don't understand. It had the potential to save the town a day.

Role analysis: I rather liked this role. The FP Effect was a unique twist on the card mechanic and it didn't prove to be OP at all. I was hoping to see someone get pardoned but that doesn't have anything to do with role balancing.

mordacazir as GR-5

You are GR-5, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. Team GR gave you two jobs: pilot the blimp and (this is the important one, they said) shut up. At first, you took it in stride, too happy to be part of a team to care about a few harsh words. But then they became more frequent. No one wanted to be your friend. Just shut up and drive. So you defected. You don't have any access to any information on Team GR (not that they would have told you if you asked), but the Club Alliance has given you something you've wanted since day one - friendship. And having a big group of friends is worth dealing with more than a few harsh words from some jerks like Team GR.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Mew.

180px-MewWizardsPromo8.jpg

FP Effect: Neutral Shield
Abilities and cards have no effect on you if used by a player who has the same number of cards in their hand as you. (If they attempt to use a card on you, their hand size is checked against yours after having used the card.)​

Ability: Psychic Balance
Once a night, pick a player. At the start of the next day, you will match that player's hand size to yours by either discarding or giving them randomly chosen cards.

Player analysis: Barely posted and disappeared at the end. zzzzzzzzzzz at least he submitted his night actions. He had it out for Camo in the early game, keeping his cards on lock.

Role analysis: This role was kind of added as an afterthought because I literally ran out of heroes and I needed to make 20. Turned out fine :)

NinjaPenguin (formerly double o squirtle and xDoggerx) as Mitch, Fighting Club Leader

You are Mitch, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. A former professional boxer turned Club Master, you personally test everyone who wishes to join your club, with the promise of membership to anyone who can last one minute in the ring with you. Some question what this has to do with playing the TCG, but it's your club, so you get to make the rules. Middle age has softened you up a little, so you lose more often, but your TCG skills are on point and as sharp as ever. Like Ken, your battle plan is to hit hard and fast. You think you are the superior master simply because while both of you can hit hard and fast, you believe you can hit harder and faster.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Machamp.

180px-MachampBaseSet8.jpg

FP Effect: Strong-willed
You can use cards during the day as well as night, but you can still only use one card per phase. A phase is one day/night cycle.​

Ability: Overzealous
Once a night, pick a player. You will learn who that player targeted during that night.

Player analysis: Yeah whatever dos did a couple things and dogger who? But holy crap NinjaPenguin exceeded all my expectations. NinjaPenguin and Drac both inherited a QT that the people replaced made, eventually turning on each other and gooping each other during night 4. Hilarity. He rightfully waited for others to claim during day 5 before sharing his results but I probably would have waited to even claim until everyone else did. But yay NinjaPenguin!

Role analysis: The FP Effect is kinda worthless, but it's a last-minute change from the original FP effect, which stopped other players from forcibly moving you from one island to the other. Tracker is also less broken than watcher, so there you go.

PikaMasterJesi as Ken, Fire Club Leader

You are Ken, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. At twenty-nine years old, you are the youngest Club Master (if you could only get promoted, you would beat Courtney's record). You came to lead at the age of thirteen after your father, the previous Club Master, passed away. Fire Pokemon are your forte, and your strategy involves a brute force battle plan, much like Mitch. You think you are the superior master simply because it's easier to make fire-related puns than fighting-related ones.

Your favorite Pokemon is Arcanine.

180px-ArcanineBaseSet23.jpg

FP Effect: Fire Veil
Anyone who targets you at night will have their vote weight set to zero during the next day. If this would make a lynch impossible or only possible under specific circumstances, this effect won't work.​

Ability: Burn Out
If you are chosen to be lynched, you will die at the end of the night instead of immediately. You will be able to act on players and they will be able to act on you. Your role PM will not be revealed until the start of the next day.

Player analysis: Jesi's new showed a lot in this game. She was so hyped to get into a QuickTopic with someone that not once did she entertain the idea that bbninjas could be scum. She also had said quite a few things to gain the ire of the graveyard; they spent the entire game thinking she was scum! :D I think this game was good experience for her and she will be less trusting next time.

Role analysis: This role could have been nice to get lynched so it appeared to be scum. It was meant to draw in the scum's night actions and then die anyway, effectively wasting a night. Unforuntately, as it seems to be with all of the games I host where I design a role to be killed, she lived to the end game, so bleh.

Professor Palutena (formerly Miyami~~) as Avery, Flying Fort Leader

You are Avery, and you are aligned with Team GR. You once disguised yourself as GR-2 and wreaked havoc, using cards that didn't really suit your style. As the leader of the Colorless Altar, however, you are free to spread your wings and utilize the Pokemon you love best. You secretly hold a passion for all things cute, but you don't want to let anyone know. You've got a reputation to uphold.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Pidgeot.

180px-PidgeotJungle8.jpg

FP Effect: Headwind
You are lynched at L+2 until Day 5.​

Safe claim:

You are Sam, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. A judge and technician, you teach players how to play the game. You, Aaron, and Dr. Mason keep things at Dr. Mason's Laboratory running smoothly. As the junior technician, your responsibilities mostly involve creating new software and spreading the word about Dr. Mason and his services on social media.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Raticate.

180px-RaticateBaseSet40.jpg

FP Effect: Thick Skin
You are lynched at L+2 until Day 5.​

Player analysis: Thanks to a busy schedule, PP did very little and just barely missed being modkilled on day four. I ain't too mad because I knew he was busy and this is not normally his activity level. Mia also gave a good effort before bowing out gracefully.

Role analysis: Yay vanilla scum! PP lived until the end. I'm not used to hosting smaller games like this so I didn't really realize that day 5 would be pretty close to the end. Definitely would have made this day 3 or something. Also, Pidgeot is best bird.

quakingpunch73 as Mint, Also the Hero

You are Mint, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. You've been working undercover for the past couple years, infiltrating Team GR in order to bring them down from the inside. Unfortunately, you got sloppy during a mission, and you were spotted. Despite your love for Mark and the TCG, you have no choice but to continue your charade. When it comes down to it, though, you are on his side, 100%.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Venusaur.

200px-VenusaurBaseSet15.jpg

FP Effect: Green Aroma
Upon your death, any unused GR Support Cards will be shown to the town.​

Ability: Crisis Vine
Once a night, pick a player. Any card usage by that player will fail during this night.

Player analysis: Celever's case on quaking was kind of garbage. The argument was that quaking claimed that Jesi said she didn't know how to scumhunt, which Celever said was a lie... but it wasn't:

"My questioning scumhunting" means "The reason I asked about how to scumhunt". I word things weirdly sometimes.

And no, I don't really know how to scumhunt. Considering the games I played in were Mafia XXXIII and XXXIV, in which one I was completely new and the other I 1) Got nightsplatted on N1 and 2) where scumhunting didn't really apply because there wasn't any scum, per say.

But, in Celever's defense, Jesi did ask about how to start scumhunting, just like he said:

I actually really like how this turned out, but I'll get back to the topic. Lemme start with a question: How can we start our scumhunt from here?

quaking didn't respond well to Celever's pressure and that kinda snowballed into him becoming the day's lynch target. Still, for day one lynch targets, I couldn't have asked for a better one, since it put all of the GR Support Cards out into the open.

Role analysis: It was clear from the very beginning that Mark was town. Using this game's flavor as is, there would be no way to get around that. If anyone felt like researching Pokemon Card GB2 they would see that Mint was also pretty much guaranteed town since she is technically also the hero of the campaign. I wanted to give a little mystery to the Mint role and inject a reason why she might not be town, so I decided to make her a double agent. The bit about her being spotted refers to her being spotted by the good guys, which is how Mark heard about Mint working for Team GR. I also included the phrase "or whoever is using Mint as a safe claim" to Mark's role to further question Mint's allegiance. Notice that every role that references another character also has the disclaiming phrase "or whoever is using ____ as a safe claim" to prevent a player from assuming a canonically good character (except Mark) is town. Having Mark as confirmed town was enough.

Reinforce as Brooke, Water Fort Leader

You are Brooke, and you are aligned with Team GR. You are the leader of the Water Fort, which doubles as a wastewater treatment plant. This is ironic because the room you conduct battles in is surrounded by huge waterfalls. You hate losing, and have on more than one occasion thrown an opponent's deck into the water when you felt like you were cheated. It's not clear how someone with your temperament has remained in charge for this long. Maybe they're afraid to be thrown into the water, too.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Seaking.

180px-SeakingJungle46.jpg

FP Effect: Fast Stream
You can use any card that any member of Team GR has as your own. It will be removed from its owner's hand when used.​

Ability: Triple Breach
Once a night, pick a player. You will learn who targeted them this night. You will not be included in the report.

Ability: Mud Splash
Once a night, pick a player. Any Ability usage by that player will fail during this night.

Safe claim:

You are Amy, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. You used to be quite attractive back in the day, but age combined with a lazy, sedentary lifestyle has made you fat. Fortunately there isn't a weight limit for Club Masters, so you're free to lounge around all day and play the TCG with anyone who asks. You don't swim as much as you used to, but you've made a vow to get back in the pool and get your figure back - being shut down by Rick, of all people, was too much for you to bear.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Lapras.

180px-LaprasFossil10.jpg

FP Effect: Sweet Song
When a member of Team GR targets you, you will be told two days later.​

Ability: Assist
Once a night, pick a player. You will learn who targeted them this night. You will not be included in the report.

Ability: Ice Beam
Once a night, pick a player. Any Ability usage by that player will fail during this night.

Player analysis: Another player who did little in terms of posting, but was an important member of the scum team who submitted his night actions faithfully. His blocking of Luispipe8's item usage stopped him from using a Gold Potion that would have saved his life. The item blockage wouldn't have happened if not for King Xerneas being redirected to Reinforce. He also blocked scattered mind two nights in a row which was just awful for him and the town in general (or not; sm tried shooting mord).

Role analysis: Watcher is more useful for scum than tracker so I gave it to the scum and let the town have a tracker. The role block is on this character because I wanted to have scum vanilla. This role is useful for finding and blocking the doctor or any role the scum expect to give trouble. The FP Effect sounded awesome in practice but Reinforce never made use of it :(

simsands as Isaac, Lightning Club Leader

You are Isaac, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. You've been an electrician for over twenty years. Steve, the previous Club Master, installed giant, complex light displays all over the club, and you were frequently called in to inspect this or fix that. You found you were pretty good at the TCG, so when Steve was promoted, you were given the Club Master gig. Having your own in-house electrician is saving your club a ton of money.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Electrode.

180px-ElectrodeBaseSet21.jpg

FP Effect: Mass Destruction
If you are killed, your killer will die. Starting with night 2 and every night after that, the chances of this ability working decrease by 10%.​

Ability: Chain Lightning
At any time during the day, pick a card in your hand. If you are lynched, 3 randomly chosen players on your wagon who have the last card you chose will discard it.

Player analysis: Someone's gotta die night one. He played admirably during the one day he was alive and blew Keeper up when he went for the kill. Good stuff.

Role analysis: Chain Lightning originally favored scum over town (very slightly, like 10%) when choosing who would discard the card, but I removed it because I didn't want people to start witch hunting the people who were chosen. Other than that it was a standard bomb role, nothing else to say.

scattered mind as Tech Aaron

You are Aaron, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. A technician and longtime friend of Dr. Mason, you and Sam help Dr. Mason run a tight ship, dueling new players and handing out packs of basic Energy to those who could prove they had the ability to win. You're the senior technician, so your responsibilities also include the upkeep and maintenance of the Deck Machine and portable PC.

Your Favorite Pokemon varies. It cycles between three Pokemon, and changes--along with your FP Effect and Ability--with every new phase. A phase is one day/night cycle.

Today, your Favorite Pokemon is Magneton.

180px-MagnetonBaseSet9.jpg

FP Effect: Magnetic Field
You can't die. If you are chosen to be lynched, you will not die. If a kill would resolve on you, it will do nothing.​

Ability: Magnetic Lines
Once a night, pick a player. If a kill would resolve on that player this night, it will do nothing.

You are Aaron, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. A technician and longtime friend of Dr. Mason, you and Sam help Dr. Mason run a tight ship, dueling new players and handing out packs of basic Energy to those who could prove they had the ability to win. You're the senior technician, so your responsibilities also include the upkeep and maintenance of the Deck Machine and portable PC.

Your Favorite Pokemon varies. It cycles between three Pokemon, and changes--along with your FP Effect and Ability--with every new phase. A phase is one day/night cycle.

Today, your Favorite Pokemon is Poliwrath.

180px-PoliwrathBaseSet13.jpg

FP Effect: Strange Spiral
At the end of the next night, you will learn the names of everyone who targeted you during this phase.​

Ability: Spiral Swirl
Once a night, pick a player. You will learn who that player targeted during that night.

Today, your Favorite Pokemon is Pinsir.

180px-PinsirJungle9.jpg

FP Effect: Grip and Squeeze
If you call incorrectly when using Guillotine, you will not have to call heads or tails on your next use.​

Ability: Guillotine
Once a night, pick a player and call heads or tails. If you call correctly, they will be killed.

Player analysis: He was active the whole time which was great! Hilariously, scattered mind did nothing the entire game despite submitting an action every night (Celever was immune to being protected, scum blocked him nights 2 and 3 and he protected scum on night 4). Better luck next time...

Role analysis: Originally, this role's Ability was the same across all three variants (move a player to the other island). When I scrapped it late in the design phase, and realized I hadn't put in a JOAT yet, I figured that this role would be the perfect excuse to use one. Aaron fights you with three different decks in the games, so instead of deciding on one Pokemon from one of the decks, I used one from all three and just swapped them out every night. Since they rotate in a set order it reduces swing, too. Easily one of my favorite roles.

Squirtle Squad as Ronald, the Rival

You are Ronald, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. You have been Mark's rival ever since you were kids, though Mint never really had eyes for you. You once infiltrated Team GR with the intent of bringing them down, but after Mark defeated you, you helped him as Ronald instead of the mysterious GR-X. Now Team GR is back and you're standing by Mark's side to help defeat them once and for all.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Kangaskhan.

180px-KangaskhanJungle5.jpg

FP Effect: One-Two Punch
Every night, there is a 50% chance you will receive two cards instead of one from Dr. Mason.​

Player analysis: Squirtle Squad was a victim of the scum's hokey, garbage, completely baseless case and the town not caring enough to find other lynch targets. I did this in Dimensional Shift and I saw it for what it was the moment they started pushing for it. Unfortunately things like this happen and it's sad when they do. Town just needs to be more active.

Role analysis: One-Two Punch sounded cool in theory but didn't proc once for Squirtle Squad (but it did for King Xerneas the one night he had it).

no one (formerly TheFlyingPidove, homeofmew, and HOY) as Grand Master Jack

You are Jack, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. A wealthy philanthropist, you helped finance the Challenge Hall and run the tournaments there behind the scenes. Gentlemanly Jack, that's you. A few find it ironic that a person with such a warm heart would hold Ice-type Pokemon in the highest regard, but there you have it. With your cheerful demeanor and giving nature, sometimes people need to be reminded that you are one of the best TCG players the world has ever seen and you are ruthless in battle. The cold, unforgiving winds brought by the Legendary Articuno bring a swift end to any assault, and to any challenger who would dare claim that power as his own.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Articuno.

180px-ArticunoFossil17.jpg

FP Effect: Synchronized Lift
You are lynched at L+2 as long as Steve (or the player using Steve as a safe claim) and Courtney (or the player using Courtney as a safe claim) are both alive.​

Ability: Aurora Veil
Any Ability that would resolve on you will resolve on a randomly chosen player instead.

Ability: Cold Crush
Once a night, choose a card in your hand and pick a player. If that player has the card you chose in his or her hand, they will discard it. If they don't, they will still lose a randomly chosen card, but you will lose the card you chose as well.

Player analysis: TheFlyingPidove made like two posts and quit. Neither of her replacements made a single post. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Could have been cool (heh) if the person did anything. Nothing feels like I wasted my time like having a role go completely to waste due to inactivity. Did not help the town's situation at all.

Role analysis: I thought it was interesting to have a player get a buff depending on both scum and town. It also prevents people from using flavor to clear the Grand Masters as town. Vilrich unlocks an ability on this role's death but since it was a modkill I didn't allow it. I didn't think it was right to let scum get buffed for free (kills and lynches both require more than a pulse to get).

thegrovylekid as Gene, Rock Club Leader

You are Gene, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. You've been the Rock Club Master for over fifty years, and your TCG skills have only gotten better over time. You take your responsibilities very, very seriously, and you expect the same of all the trainers under your wing. Just because you're seventy-eight years old doesn't mean you can't still kick ass. Rock is good.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Golem.

180px-GolemFossil36.jpg

FP Effect: Rock Vengeance
You will steal a random card from anyone who targets you with an Ability.​

Player analysis: Ultimate scrub for hating on gen 1 So tgk was "lynched" day 3 thanks to more town indifference. Great. He was helpful during his time among the living and even stole a card from Camoclone. Boy do I hate inactivity.

Role analysis: Second town vanilla role...with a twist!

Vom as Nikki, Grass Club Leader

You are Nikki, and you are aligned with the Club Alliance. As a highly skilled TCG player and botanist, it is no surprise that you like Grass Pokemon, and you spend your days researching them. You've been Grass Club Master ever since you graduated from college, and you've made sure your club is filled with flowers and those who share your love of nature. Rick and Murray are both infatuated with you, but you aren't interested in either man. At least Murray knows how to take a hint.

Your Favorite Pokemon is Vileplume.

180px-VileplumeJungle15.jpg

FP Effect: Block Dust
Most cards have no effect on you.​

Ability: Solar Beam
Once a game during any day, pick a player. If you do, your role PM will be publicly revealed. The player you chose will be killed.

Ability: Pollen Defense
Once a night, pick a player. If a kill would resolve on that player this night, it will do nothing.

Player analysis: Skated by the entire game, barely making posting minimums. Did not shoot once and protected bbninjas literally every night. Snore.

Role analysis: So I wanted a sheriff in the setup but I didn't want the player to just go crazy and shoot at any time. It would be no good for them to simply have the sheriff role and shoot because then they're clear and also vanilla. I wanted them to have to think about their decision to shoot and give them a reason to consider doing it. Whether Vom just never thought taking the shot would be worth it or if he just plain forgot he could do it is something only he knows. By day 5 the game was pretty much riding on him to shoot scum but once he told me he quit then it was over.

CARDS

There were a total of ten cards in the setup. This does not include two cards that went unused because I abandoned the island mechanic.

You received Cynthia's Feelings from Dr. Mason.

180px-CynthiaFeelingsLegendsAwakened131.jpg

Usage requirements: You have 4 or fewer cards in your hand (including this one)
Effect: When you play this card, you will return all your cards to Dr. Mason and be given the same number of randomly selected cards. If someone who shares your alignment was lynched during the previous day, you will be given two extra cards.

This one wasn't passed out as much. but was used up twice I think. Would have been fun for scum to use if any of their guys had ever been lynched.

You received Friend Ball from Dr. Mason.

180px-FriendBallSkyridge126.jpg

Usage requirements: None
Effect: When you play this card, pick a player. You and your chosen player will receive a QuickTopic in which you can discuss the game at any time.

I was worried this was gonna get passed around a lot but RNG had other plans. It was used a couple times and you can find links to all QuickTopics at the bottom of this post.

You received Gold Potion from Dr. Mason.

180px-GoldPotionBoundariesCrossed140.jpg

Usage requirements: Discard 2 cards from your hand
Effect: When you play this card, if a kill would resolve on you at any point in the next phase, it will fail. (Does not protect against being lynched.) A phase is one day/night cycle.

One of the most used cards, I think. Luis tried using one the night he got blocked and it cost him his life.

You received Goop Gas Attack from Dr. Mason.

180px-Goopgasattack2.jpg

Usage requirements: Discard 1 card from your hand
Effect: When you play this card, pick a player and either this night or next day. Their FP Effect will be nullified during the time you chose.

This card was definitely the most passed out but wasn't really used until towards the end. Funnily enough, everyone decided to block FP Effects during the same night instead of the next day, when they would have been more useful.

You received Hand Scope from Dr. Mason.

180px-HandScopePhantomForces96.jpg

Effect: When you play this card, pick a player. At the start of the next day, you will learn every card in that player's hand.

Used almost exclusively on night 1, this caused Celever to claim Reinforce was town and potentially run the town into their graves.

You received Magnifier from Dr. Mason.

MagnifierNeoDestiny101.jpg

Usage requirements: Have at least 1 other card in your hand
Effect: When you play this card, non-lethal Abilities have no effect on you. Effect lasts one phase. A phase is one day/night cycle.

A cool card in theory that got almost no use, mainly because it was hardly given out. Thanks RNG.

You received Misty from Dr. Mason.

200px-MistyGymHeroes18.jpg

Usage requirements: Discard 2 cards from your hand
Effect: When you play this card, you will receive a +1 buff to your vote weight during the next day.

I think a little of the mystery surrounding vote weights would have been cleared up if people had been more open about the cards they had. Both Jesi and Camoclone busted this out on night 4, ensuring they could pretty much easily hit the requirement of 6 to lynch, especially with Camoclone's FP Effect giving them yet another free vote. I had opted to use this over Solid Rage because I thought it was less OP. Maybe I should have gone with that instead.

You received Reserved Ticket from Dr. Mason.

180px-ReservedTicketBREAKthrough147.jpg

Effect: When you play this card, call heads or tails. If you call correctly, you will be given a list of 4 randomly chosen cards (excluding Reserved Ticket). If you call incorrectly, you will be given a list of 2 randomly chosen cards (may include Reserved Ticket). Choose one, and you will receive it tomorrow night instead of being given a random card. If you don't choose, one will be made for you.

Unique card that was used a couple times. It was called right more than it was called wrong, I believe.

You received Solid Rage from Dr. Mason.

SolidRageEXUnseenForces92.png

Usage requirements: Reach L-2, but don't get lynched; only usable during the night following the day this happens
Effect: When you play this card, you will receive a +2 buff to your vote weight during the next day.

I scrapped this card because I was afraid of a repeat of Dimensional Shift. I also felt that having one person with a potential vote weight of 4 was way too much. Its original usage requirement was to get lynched but spared by Dr. Mason, but I changed it after ditching the island mechanic.

You received Time Shard from Dr. Mason.

180px-TimeShardAquapolis135.jpg

Usage requirements: N/A
Effect: When you die, any remaining cards in your hand (excluding any Time Shard) will be randomly given to the remaining players.

A few cards got passed out by Time Shard, which was nice. Others used it as discard fuel, which was fine too.

You received Venture Bomb from Dr. Mason.

180px-VentureBombEXTeamRocketReturns93.jpg

Effect: When you use this card, pick a player and call heads or tails. If you call correctly, that player will have an unmovable vote on them for the duration of the next day. The source will be shown as "Card Effect". If you call incorrectly, it will be on you instead.

Considered scrapping this due to possible days ending immediately thanks to vote weights but I think the idea of having a vote on them turned people off to the idea of using it. Most people just held it or used it as discard fuel.

You received Warp Point from Dr. Mason.

200px-WarpPointMajesticDawn88.jpg

Effect: When you use this card, pick a player on the other island. You will swap places with them.

Scrapped due to not using the island mechanic, and also because it didn't make sense under the rule that you could only target people on your island. I probably could have tweaked it a bit to make it work, but since I ended up not using ProBoards, I had no reason to use it anymore.

GR SUPPORT CARDS

There were five GR Support Cards in the setup, but originally there were five. One of them was scrapped because I couldn't think of a cool effect for Tickling Machine, so I instead moved every card up a night and just ditched the last one instead.

GR Support Card #1: Clefairy Doll

180px-ClefairyDollBaseSet70.jpg

Usage requirements: It is at least night 2
Effect: When you use this card, the role PM of the next player Team GR kills will be replaced with this card.

Went unused. It was because of this card that I was a little sad that Mint got lynched and the card was revealed to the town. I think people would have really gotten a kick out of clicking the spoiler to see the identity of the person who was night killed and found a Clefairy Doll instead. At least I did.

GR Support Card #2: Tickling Machine

180px-TicklingMachineGymHeroes119.jpg

Usage requirements: It is at least night 3
Effect: When you use this card, pick a player. They will lose any Abilities they have for the rest of the game.

Went unused. I let the scum submit actionos on their teammates' behalf since it's more important for them to work together, but I also said that anything a player submits on his own would supersede one submitted by another player. bb tried having PP use it but PP had already submitted no action, then Reinforce, but it was past deadline at that point. No big deal though.

GR Support Card #3: Super Energy Removal

180px-BaseSet79SuperEnergyRemoval.jpg

Usage requirements: It is at least night 4
Effect: When you use this card, pick any 2 cards in Team GR's possession. All copies of those cards will be discarded.

Used night 4 to eliminate Gold Potion and Cynthia's Feelings, which was probably the most optimal use of this card I could ask for.

GR Support Card #4: Team Rocket's Evil Deeds

180px-TeamRocketEvilDeedsNeoDestiny103.jpg

Usage requirements: It is at least night 5; only 1 member of Team GR remains
Effect: When you use this card, pick a player. They will be killed.

Went unused. The game did not reach night 5 but if I had to remove a card it'd be this one. The OP potential is there.

AWARDS

Despite subpar activity, there were a few standouts. Golden PMJ Awards for Mafia 35 go to:

@PikaMasterJesi for the Mark art and the game banner, and also being so wonderfully innocent that I cringed a little when I saw how trusting she was of bb
@bbninjas for taking charge of the scum team and also for playing Jesi like a fiddle
@simsands and @quakingpunch73 for being active members of the graveyard and keeping things interesting
@thegrovylekid for not blabbing to the graveyard who the scum were after Mia ran her mouth
@NinjaPenguin for being an active and willing participant. Please please please stick around, I say this all the time to the new blood but no one ever stays. We need players like you, man.
@Squirtle Squad for figuring out that the whole "Mint could be scum?" thing was a ruse
@TheFlyingPidove for subbing out properly
@Keeper of Night for being the only scum casualty

LINKS

Master Document: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u1hZNDAncxZ453LZ50Bzp5soWcEVZhIlHGCjLzH-sZg
Team GR QT: http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/7veZrggCVsdH
Graveyard: http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/LhmUD4uQdJsZ
Friend QT (bbninjas & PikaMasterJesi): http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/hULh7ACuvwK
Friend QT (Luispipe8 & thegrovylekid): http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/quVH35tQdBcF
Friend QT (double o squirtle & ExcalAura4D): http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/fjXCckdJWVQ

CLOSING THOUGHTS

I was very glad to be able to host another game, so big ups to the Forum Games staff for letting me back in the driver's seat. I hope it's not the last time. This flavor is an idea that I've had in my head for a while and I'm glad I finally got to bring it to life. If you guys remember, I was originally going to use ProBoards for this setup. In the video game, players actually travel between Club Island and GR Island, so it was only natural to mimic the same setup Dimensional Shift used. But then I started second guessing myself after scum dominated that game for many of the same reasons they did this one. All in all, I think it was the right decision.

Role madness games are swingy by nature. With tons of roles in play at one time, balancing can sometimes prove difficult. When making a role madness game, you should always try to balance your roles according to the worst possible scenario. For example, not limiting Juxtapose to non-mylo scenarios allowed the scum to basically autopilot their way to victory on the last day; that's my fault, though, not theirs. Worse yet is when players are inactive. The role of Jack went virtually unused the entire time because everyone who played him was a no-show (minus TheFlyingPidove who made like two posts and then requested to sub out).

Not to discredit the scum, but they did get lucky with some key blocks and kills that might have otherwise changed the game's outcome. Still, they worked together and are deserving of their victory, so congrats again to the five of you. Generally speaking, though, activity was bad. I ran through six substitutes and I have never done that, ever. I shouldn't have to impose a minimum post limit, but unfortunately the past few games have had a stream of inactive players and players leaving. Just awful stuff. It showed in this game as well. There were many lulls in activity which the scum were perfectly content to sit and let happen. This is an unfortunate way to win and there's no denying that it played a part in their landslide victory. It's unfortunate when it happens but it's the kind of thing that's out of the host's control. You just gotta hope people play the game they signed up for.

With that said, I appreciate everyone who requested a sub out instead of just bailing.

Shout outs to DNA for letting me bounce my ideas off him and for just being cool in general.

And with that, Mafia 35 is officially closed. Thanks to all of you who took part. I'll see you next game. Please don't vig kill me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.