Pokemon Lifespan of a Pokemon

98Greener

tree noises
Remember that guy who supposedly died in Anistar city?
One of the houses has an old man in it, and you can give him a Level 10(?) or lower Pokemon because he feels lonely. After you defeat the Elite Four, you find out that he's passed away, and you get the Pokemon back.

This got me thinking. How long does a Pokemon live?
Do Grass and Bug-types live only for a year or two? Are Ghosts immortal?
How about Pokemon like Electrode and Klingklang, do they live on or do their machinery wire out? Some Pokedex entries say that Pokemon can live up to 100 - 10'000 years.

I think Pokémon live about as long as the species they're based on. So, Pokémon like Growlithe/Arcanine would have an average lifespan of around 14 years. While Pokémon like Ponyta/Rapidash would live for about 25 years. Of course there are exceptions in the Pokémon world, like Wartortle, who supposedly can reach an age of 10.000 years... I don't think any real life animal can match that.xD

Venomoth apparently doesn't live long, but I thought Pokémon lived about as long as people, so a Venomoth would live for about 5 years.

Grass Pokémon can't live only a year or two, otherwise, some wouldn't be Venusaur. Venusaur and Torterra have that look of sleeping and wise giant that can live for a good number of years. Speaking of Venusaur, in the anime Spenser (Frontier Brain) had a Venusaur that I suppose had been with him since he was younger so it's quite a while.
Wartortle has been mentioned, another Pokémon that deserves mention is Ninetales since if I'm not mistaken, can live up to a thousand years.
Ghost Pokémon due to their nature must live forever or until being vanquished by some witch, wizard or exorcist (if possible); Steel types...perhaps until they get rusty; Dragon Pokémon should have a longer than average lifespan, the Legendaries must vary between the anime and games so I really don't know. In the end, I really don't know.

98Greener said:
Remember that guy who supposedly died in Anistar city?
One of the houses has an old man in it, and you can give him a Level 10(?) or lower Pokemon because he feels lonely. After you defeat the Elite Four, you find out that he's passed away, and you get the Pokemon back.
(...)
By Arceus, and I thought that that guy near the PkCenter in Humilau that was running after (or with) a blonde girl and after the E4 was dumped (I guess) by her was sad! :(

Leaf_Ranger said:
By Arceus, and I thought that that guy near the PkCenter in Humilau that was running after (or with) a blonde girl and after the E4 was dumped (I guess) by her was sad! :(

That's nothing! What about that haunted house, where that kid wants to find Cresselia, but dies (possibly by the hands of Darkrai) and says this:

"An everlasting dark dream…
An endless dream of darkness…
Dad, Mom, Abra…
Where are you…?"

And later this:

"In the dark dream…
I heard my dad’s voice…
Forget about the Lunar Wing…
Please stay here with me…"

Then finally this:

"Oh… The Lunar Wing…
I can’t take it now…
But it’ll be OK…
Please return the wing to the Pokémon…
I was waiting on the bridge so I could return it myself…"

There is one immortal Pokemon -Ash'es Pikachu:)

This topic makes me thinking what is the deal with Ghost types?
They are lost spirits of other dead types of Pokemon ?
Each time a Pokemon dies it reborn from a random Ghost tyoe egg at the day care ?
Too confusing

scattered mind said:
There is one immortal Pokemon -Ash'es Pikachu:)

This topic makes me thinking what is the deal with Ghost types?
They are lost spirits of other dead types of Pokemon ?
Each time a Pokemon dies it reborn from a random Ghost tyoe egg at the day care ?
Too confusing

One of the Sinnoh myths in Canalave's library says:
"Sinnoh Folk Story 1"
Pick clean the bones of Pokémon
caught in the sea or stream.
Thank them for the meals they
provide, and pick their bones clean.
When the bones are as clean as can
be, set them free in the water from
which they came.
The Pokémon will return, fully
fleshed, and it begins anew.

The fact is that Cubone wears its mother's skull and Vullaby & Mandibuzz supposedly wear the skull of an actual Pokémon so taking the tale into account perhaps they didn't came back to life either because they weren't set free in the water or perhaps because they weren't used as a meal? I wouldn't take this tale to the letter if it wasn't for the fact that the game characters don't even know how an egg is produced (yes, GameFreak and TPIC will avoid the subject due to sex but still). Shellder devolves in the anime and the creator entity is a Pokémon so who knows if this tale ins't meant to be read to the letter?

As for Ghost types, in one of the Mystery Dungeon games there's a Gengar that's actually a human turned into a Pokémon. In the anime, actual ghosts come from the Spirit World as seen in "Ghoul Daze".
I'm guessing they can have multiple origins. Banette are said to be a doll abandoned by their owners. Perhaps the original abandoned doll went after other dolls to give them "life".
About the lifespan, in the case of Banette, perhaps it turns back into being a doll and "dies" if it ever found their owner and exact their revenge.
There's a lot of "if" and "perhaps" but is good to have this brainstorming. :)

Blob55 said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

That's nothing! What about that haunted house, where that kid wants to find Cresselia, but dies (possibly by the hands of Darkrai) and says this:

"An everlasting dark dream…
An endless dream of darkness…
Dad, Mom, Abra…
Where are you…?"

And later this:

"In the dark dream…
I heard my dad’s voice…
Forget about the Lunar Wing…
Please stay here with me…"

Then finally this:

"Oh… The Lunar Wing…
I can’t take it now…
But it’ll be OK…
Please return the wing to the Pokémon…
I was waiting on the bridge so I could return it myself…"

How could I've forget that one!? I still see her in the bridge. I have yet to capture Cresselia and after obtaining the Lunar Wing I've returned to the house (and entered the child's room on one occasion (if not both)) and saw the child on two other occasions, perhaps after that, so maybe she'll only trully dissapear after capturing Cresselia. I guess I'll return to the house and then to the bridge to see if that's how to make her appear.

Edit: I went to her room and then to Marvelous Bridge but nothing happened. After exiting and entering the bridge and not seeing her, one of the times she did appeared so it seems it isn't connected to going to her room but just random. That said, perhaps it only lasts while Cresselia isn't captured.

You'd think bugs would have a really short lifespan, but the Volcarona at the Relic Castle has seen the rise and fall of civilizations.

When a Pokemon revived from a fossil dies, does it go back to being a fossil?

Seven is a Color said:
You'd think bugs would have a really short lifespan, but the Volcarona at the Relic Castle has seen the rise and fall of civilizations.

There's no proof for what you're suggesting regarding Volcarona. As far as I know it's possible and most likely that there's some sort of colony or at least always two of them (perhaps a Volcarona and a (younger) Larvesta to replace that one). In B/W there's one Volcarona and in B2/W2 there's another so they can't be the same.

As for fossil Pokémon, fossils are created when they're caugh/trapped in something or when their remains get covered by layers of materials over time, so when a fossil Pokémon dies, what's left are just remains that might be turned into fossils if the process happens, if not it'll be just a empty shell or bone.

They could be the same, since the Musketeer Trio and the Kami Trio appear in B2W2, which were also interactable Pokemon from BW that could be captured.

Leaf_Ranger said:
Seven is a Color said:

There's no proof for what you're suggesting regarding Volcarona. As far as I know it's possible and most likely that there's some sort of colony or at least always two of them (perhaps a Volcarona and a (younger) Larvesta to replace that one). In B/W there's one Volcarona and in B2/W2 there's another so they can't be the same.

As for fossil Pokémon, fossils are created when they're caugh/trapped in something or when their remains get covered by layers of materials over time, so when a fossil Pokémon dies, what's left are just remains that might be turned into fossils if the process happens, if not it'll be just a empty shell or bone.
Seven is a Color said:
They could be the same, since the Musketeer Trio and the Kami Trio appear in B2W2, which were also interactable Pokemon from BW that could be captured.

Both of these can be answered in that, because they are singular interactions, they maybe they follow a timeline in where the hero from BW did not capture them.

Seven is a Color said:

So The Kami Trio were captured, but you got alt ones from that 3DS game.
Victini was captured, as it isn't in B2W2.
Reshiram/Zekrom was captured in BW.

So the rest weren't captured? Does this mean the Pixies weren't captured in DPPt?

It depends on species really, like dogs, cats, bugs etc.

But when Pokémon "pass away" are ghost pokémon created? Pokémon like Pumkaboo, Phantump and Honedge aswell, so I supposed if a pokemon is inhabited by a spirit it can't die, so I guess Ghost pokemon are probably Immortal.

Phantump: "These Pokémon are created when spirits posses
rotten tree stumps.
They prefer to live in abandoned forests.

Blob55 said:
Seven is a Color said:

So The Kami Trio were captured, but you got alt ones from that 3DS game.
Victini was captured, as it isn't in B2W2.
Reshiram/Zekrom was captured in BW.

So the rest weren't captured? Does this mean the Pixies weren't captured in DPPt?

While the canon/non canon explanation seems fine to me, then it raises other questions like the ones made by Blob55. So, are there more than one trio of creatures like The Birds, Beasts, Pixies, Weather deities and so on?

Appleby 103 said:

But when Pokémon "pass away" are ghost pokémon created? Pokémon like Pumkaboo, Phantump and Honedge aswell, so I supposed if a pokemon is inhabited by a spirit it can't die, so I guess Ghost pokemon are probably Immortal.

Phantump: "These Pokémon are created when spirits posses
rotten tree stumps.
They prefer to live in abandoned forests.

I don't think that when a Pokémon passes away a Ghost-type Pokémon is created based on one thing only - Marowak's (Cubone's mother) ghost in the Pokémon Tower in Lavender! BUT, going by that Dex description, perhaps Marowak's ghost could had the chance to create a new Ghost-type Pokémon if it were to possess something.

I don't know much about pokemon lifespans, but I wonder if potions or other medicines would help lengthen their longevity? Or if battling other pokemon would shorten their lifespan?

Appleby 103 said:

But when Pokémon "pass away" are ghost pokémon created?
If you've seen Pokémon Origins, the mother Marowak's ghost is seen in the tower. And it's not a ghost type. It's a spirit.

It might be a lot longer than anyone really gives credit for. Anyone else remember the episode with the giant Gengar, giant Alakazam and giant Jigglypuff? They were all from an ancient civilization that is equivalent to me like the Aztecs. That makes them really old. Arceus was supposed to be around for the creation of the universe. They say Ninetales can live for 1,000 years (maybe longer) and I think most Pokemon will hit at least half that age without any problems.

Back