LGBTQA+ Advice & Discussion Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that is good. Not to offend you, but I'm sure your family had a feeling already and knew for a while. I mean, it is a little suspicious for a child (as in you're their offspring opposed to a little kid) to hypothesize something from no where and see for a reaction. It's the safest way to ask something without actually asking. To them, they're waiting for you to embrace it and be open about it.

Also, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Proud of you. As a gay man in the military it's been pretty difficult for me. I joined the army back in 2006 when Don't Ask Don't Tell was a policy. This policy prevent soldiers to be open about their sexuality, otherwise homosexuals would be discharged from the military. Usually not in a honorable way due to discrimination.
So I'm very happy to see that you could build up that courage. You're gonna need it. Honestly, it's a never ending "coming out" to people. When you're eating with a date and explaining that you aren't brothers and are actually "together." Or sometimes getting double takes from people because you've kissed another guy.
Just be confident about yourself. Don't allow being gay be your identity. You're more than just that. There is a whole depth to who you are and you should also embrace that. Being gay is a part of you as much as your hair color and skin color or the types of food you prefer. You don't identify yourself by the foods you eat, because the foods you eat is just a portion of who you are. The same can be said about being gay.
I'm not too sure if they knew, because almost everytime I spoke to my dad about my future he mentioned how I was going to find a wife and get kids etc, but thank you so much! I could never imagine having to go through what you've been through, and hopefully it's good now :3
I also would like to say that I don't identify as gay, like you said it's just something that I am. I identify as me: fabulous, yet sassy ;)

So Friday I finally gathered up all my courage and kinda came out to my parents and sister. I asked how they would feel if I ended up gay, and they were totally fine with it. They said that the teenage years were very sexually confusing, but they would support and love me no matter where on the scale I ended. I was so relieved that I don't have to worry about them being mad or diasappointed with me, if I were to bring a boy home :D

Congratulations!!!

So Friday I finally gathered up all my courage and kinda came out to my parents and sister. I asked how they would feel if I ended up gay, and they were totally fine with it. They said that the teenage years were very sexually confusing, but they would support and love me no matter where on the scale I ended. I was so relieved that I don't have to worry about them being mad or diasappointed with me, if I were to bring a boy home :D
Congrats on coming out etc! As for heteronominative stuff UGH, NOT EVERYONE IS STRAIGHT DAMNIT! Not every boy is going to end up dating a girl or person of a binary gender, or a girl dating a boy damnit!

As for liking people of the same gender as you while not identifying as gay seems to be more common nowadays, the ABC Family channel has a show called The Fosters, while ABC Family is normally filled with annoying, negative, stereotypical, sexist, versions of teenage girls' "dramas" with" OMG Chad like totally said that he liked liked Marley! OMG!" crap in it, The Fosters is REALLY good, while it does have 2 main characters that are next to useless/sucking up the rest of the episode's time with boring plot lines to appeal to said negative stereotypical audiences, it's always politically correct as much as possible, has a strong lead couple of two moms, and now a young, teenage boy and boy couple. They even have a FTM side character that's represented really well, and they even had a non binary gender character on the show for like...4 minutes, but hey, representation! I would seriously recommend watching it as long as you just hit mute whenever Brandon's "band" plays, and whenever Jesus and Mariana are doing stuff that doesn't deal with their bio mom, because then it's just sucky music, stupid plot lines and "OMG DRAMA!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back