This is a thread dedicated to the discussion of LGBTQA+ topics such as:
  • Coming Out
  • Relationships
  • Transitions
  • Questioning
  • Discrimination/Bullying
  • General advice / anything else related
FULLY READ THE RULES BELOW BEFORE POSTING:

This group’s purpose is for questions, advice/support, informative posts, and general camaraderie among the LGBTQA+ members of this forum. Through this thread we hope to share stories/experiences/opinions, inform the public/ourselves, and overall support and guide each other no matter what we are going through.

Note: Even though the title says "LGBTQA+, any other orientations such as Pan, or Demi are allowed here and we fully support discussion of these orientations.

Group Rules:
  1. THIS IS NOT A DEBATE TOPIC - We may from time to time discuss some news topics from within the LGBTQA+ community (think queerty/out/advocate), but this topic’s primary purpose is not for debate. If you would like to expand on a topic more or have a major (national/world) news topic to discuss more in depth, please make a thread solely for that topic. You can post recent developments here such as local laws, incidents, interesting/positive stories, videos, etc.
  2. JOIN UP - If you want to post more than once in this topic, please request to be added to the membership list. From time to time we may send out PM's, organize games/discussions, and take part in a skype chat. You are not required to do any of this but the options are there! To join the group: Please send a PM to SR or mention you would like membership in your first post here. The member list will be kept here: http://bit.ly/1CufVxe
  3. NO H8 - We welcome LGBTQA+ individuals as well as allies of the LGBTQA+ community in our discussions here, but please do not post any material that is negative toward another member or not supportive in nature. Any type of hateful messages or bullying toward a member will be handled posthaste. We ask members to deal with these kinds of people by reporting them to me or another moderator whether it be a post or PM instead of responding to them.
  4. STAY CLASSY - Please keep all posts “classy” and appropriate. Follow the forum rules. If you have any questions on if something is appropriate for the thread or not, please contact SR (me).
  5. HEY! LISTEN! - No shaming for what someone identifies as here. We ask that all participants in this thread listen first and be understanding/receptive no matter what someone is going through or decides to call themselves.
  6. BE INFORMED - If you are uninformed about an issue but have an opinion, it's best to do some research first before posting. What you are posting could be considered offensive to some people.

Keep in mind that this thread can only get better with participation, so we gladly welcome any suggestions or changes you might have in mind.

Thank you and enjoy! :)

Last edited:

Celever

Wheeeee~
I have to say, from experience threads, or now groups, like this tend to be very inconsistent with activity levels. Just felt it was important to say.

Honestly I still don't totally get this whole group system, but I want membership. :p

Shining Raikou

Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Added!

@ Celever: I think once we start injecting more topics into this thread, it can be a place where there is much discussion. It's not just about experiences!

To get us going, I have a couple recent things that have been circulating the internet in the past few days:

I watched Shane Dawson's coming out video the other night. It was pretty moving. It offers a good look at what some people go through in terms of finding who they are. I used to watch Shane's videos quite a lot and applaud him for his act of bravery. Very difficult I can imagine coming out in front of millions of people, but he's finally being true to himself.

Additionally, http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/attor...-marriage-benefits-available-same-sex-couples

We now have full federal benefits for married couples! Great news from a new attorney general who is wasting no time handling tough issues.

Last edited:

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
Can I be added I know a LOT about this subject and I am regularly educated about these kinds of things. I think I'm even one of the most educated people about this topic on another website I'm on.. (it has nothing to deal with Pokemon btw)

This John Oliver video is AMAZING at describing transgender issues etc. Warning, language and shadows of things.

It is truly wonderful that a high up admin would post an awesome thread to educate people about this on a major Pokemon fan site, I really wish they would do this for other websites etc.

WARNING WALL OF TEXT APPROACHING!!!!!

My family actually has a bit of experience with transgender people.

My mom was uneducated about transgender people a few years ago and wanted to understand it as my family is SUPER pro-everything rights. She tried asking on her tumblr page like what's the proper PC word for transgender people, and she DARED to not know the word intersex, (read the people online were a holes and were chewing her out for simply not knowing a term), and she accidentally used an out dated and now offensive term, and once she was educated about what's what she understood.

My mom now has an awesome FTM (female to male) transgender person that she knows online and educates her when she has questions etc.

My new best friend who I thought was a she is actually a they/he (their pronoun preference), and you know what my reaction was to them telling me this? "Ok *shrugs*" and that was it. I don't understand what the big deal is with "OMG YOU IS TRANSGENDER/GAY!", for me it's like "ok aaaand??" Notice how I'm asking for the surprising info etc that actually influences my life? They are awesome and they're even helping me get totally legal revenge on someone that's a total a hole to me. I never knew I could actually have a person I would want as a sibling until I met them.

This is what I don't get, why do people care so much about other people's orientation or gender identity like it's the four hundred ninety third coming of Arceus and it's such shocking news? I will only judge people on 3 things in my life:

1 Are they an a hole/act like an a hole?
2 Do they treat people badly/try to take away their rights based on any other factor then them being an a hole/acting like an a hole?
3 Are they smart enough to hold a conversation with me without me banging my head into a wall because they are THAT stupid and are unwilling to become smarter out of ignorance etc?

Those are the only things I will ever judge people on, EVER, because if I do anything else that makes me an a hole. I really don't understand why this concept is so hard for bigots to understand. I'm pretty sure that those morals could be the structure for a future society or something, because it's really not that hard and it treats people fairly.

I only have 2 questions for transgender people:
1 If you are a third gender person and someone's parent's sibling you would be their what? I'm just looking for the PC term to use here.
2 If you are a third gender person and someone's cousin/nephew what is the PC term for you?

Last edited:

Celever

Wheeeee~
Added!

@ Celever: I think once we start injecting more topics into this thread, it can be a place where there is much discussion. It's not just about experiences!

To get us going, I have a couple recent things that have been circulating the internet in the past few days:

I watched Shane Dawson's coming out video the other night. It was pretty moving. It offers a good look at what some people go through in terms of finding who they are. I used to watch Shane's videos quite a lot and applaud him for his act of bravery. Very difficult I can imagine coming out in front of millions of people, but he's finally being true to himself.
I meant from experience online threads centred around a specific demographic tend to have inconsistent levels of activity, but whatever, not too important :p. Chances are in a few months this will just be a new gay user joins and we have a discussion with him about coming out etc. and then it dies again, or some select few news stories like the legalising of gay marriage in the US. Hopefully not, but oh well, still worth having so that everything to do with the topic is kept in one place as opposed to spread across several threads which derail into general LGBT discussion.

I watched that Shane Dawson video because you linked it and it was one of the best coming out videos I've seen, honestly. It was kinda shocking to hear about his story and how it was something which was on his mind from an early age, and finding out different experiences is always interesting to me. I can see why bisexuals probably have a harder time figuring out who they are. There's a guy at my school who said he was a bisexual from that day he started, but since then he's said that he's become "less gay" and now he's "totally straight". I'm not sure if this is a real thing or not, but chances are he's bi and become less OK with it? That's what I'm thinking.

Since I'll end up talking about it at some point, I may as try and kick something off now. Honestly figuring out my sexuality was a lot easier than most people have it. Honestly I labelled myself as asexual for a very long time because I never had a crush on any girls and those were the only "hot" people I'd seen because they were the only hot people I'd ever been shown, and I didn't even think about the fact that I'd never seen hot boys. As the people in my year started going through puberty, I started getting attracted to the boys so I started thinking about it. When some boys in my year showed me... explicit images of females (seriously they're 14, I don't think they should be looking that shit up) and I felt nothing that sort of sealed the deal for me. When I saw my crush (who's definitely straight, which is depressing) working out in the school gym and I got the butterflies... yeah. Definitely could have been worse >___>.

And then since then coming out has been totally cool. There's one guy in my year who turned out to be homophobic to everyone's surprise, but he was a bit of a dick anyway so actually he's been treating me nicer out of fear of being ostracised because of being a homophobe, which turned out well. There was one awkward encounter where some of my better friends asked me about how weird gay sex is but I just explained how weird straight sex is too and they walked off >_>. So yeah, the whole gay thing has turned out pretty well for me personally. Obviously it can be a lot more difficult for others, and Britain is really good as far as homosexuality is concerned anyway. America is a bit behind on that front, but give it 10 years and I think the Christians will figure out that their religion doesn't really hate the gays anyway. My parents didn't care at all either, which was good.

So yeah, thread activity initialise ?.?

Can I be added I know a LOT about this subject and I am regularly educated about these kinds of things. I think I'm even one of the most educated people about this topic on another website I'm on.. (it has nothing to deal with Pokemon btw)

This John Oliver video is AMAZING at describing transgender issues etc. Warning, language and shadows of things.

It is truly wonderful that a high up admin would post an awesome thread to educate people about this on a major Pokemon fan site, I really wish they would do this for other websites etc.

My mom was uneducated about transgender people a few years ago and wanted to understand it as my family is SUPER pro-everything rights. She tried asking on her tumblr page like what's the proper PC word for transgender people, and she DARED to not know the word intersex, (read the people online were a holes and were chewing her out for simply not knowing a term), and she accidentally used an out dated and now offensive term, and once she was educated about what's what she understood.

My mom now has an awesome FTM (female to male) transgender person that she knows online and educates her when she has questions etc.

My new best friend who I thought was a she is actually a they/he (their pronoun preference), and you know what my reaction was to them telling me this? "Ok *shrugs*" and that was it. I don't understand what the big deal is with "OMG YOU IS TRANSGENDER/GAY!", for me it's like "ok aaaand??" Notice how I'm asking for the surprising info etc that actually influences my life? They are awesome and they're even helping me get totally legal revenge on someone that's a total a hole to me. I never knew I could actually have a person I would want as a sibling until I met them.

This is what I don't get, why do people care so much about other people's orientation or gender identity like it's the four hundred ninety third coming of Arceus and it's such shocking news? I will only judge people on 3 things in my life:

2 Do they treat people badly/try to take away their rights based on any other factor then them being an a hole/acting like an a hole?
3 Are they smart enough to hold a conversation with me without me banging my head into a wall because they are THAT stupid and are unwilling to become smarter out of ignorance etc?

Those are the only things I will ever judge people on, EVER, because if I do anything else that makes me an a hole. I really don't understand why this concept is so hard for bigots to understand. I'm pretty sure that those morals could be the structure for a future society or something, because it's really not that hard and it treats people fairly.

1 If you are a third gender person and someone's parent's sibling you would be their what? I'm just looking for the PC term to use here.
2 If you are a third gender person and someone's cousin/nephew what is the PC term for you?
Most people really don't care that much if you get a term wrong, especially if you explain that you're not sure if it's right anyway.

As for the three things you judge others on... I don't judge others on anything. People aren't just a holes because they choose to be a holes. There will always be something deeper rooted which I think it is unfair to blame someone for.

Shining Raikou

Elite Member
Advanced Member

Glad to have you!

Thanks for the John Oliver video, he's pretty great. That cleared a few things up, even for me. I don't pretend to know everything myself about the "T" in LGBTQ. I've only known a couple "T" people that I went to college with from my former GSA. I know a bit, but still learning. I do know enough to feel pain when people use very simple and ignorant language when describing transgender individuals.

Super cool your mom sought out help with how to treat transgender folks, and made a friend in the process!

I watched that Shane Dawson video because you linked it and it was one of the best coming out videos I've seen, honestly. It was kinda shocking to hear about his story and how it was something which was on his mind from an early age, and finding out different experiences is always interesting to me. I can see why bisexuals probably have a harder time figuring out who they are. There's a guy at my school who said he was a bisexual from that day he started, but since then he's said that he's become "less gay" and now he's "totally straight". I'm not sure if this is a real thing or not, but chances are he's bi and become less OK with it? That's what I'm thinking.

Honestly, I first came out to friends as bisexual because that was easier for me than admitting I was gay to myself. I struggled for several years to wrap my head around it. I was trying to convince myself I liked girls too, since that's what I thought everyone else wanted. It hadn't occurred to me yet that I was being unfair to myself and everyone else by suppressing my feelings. Some people can even go back and forth trying to find themselves when they are questioning, which is why it is so important to listen and not be quick to throw a label on them. Remember some people could just be scared (unsupportive parents/friends can do this to someone) and backstepping on something they said before, it could be more of a thing they realized over time, or something else.

Since I'll end up talking about it at some point, I may as try and kick something off now. Honestly figuring out my sexuality was a lot easier than most people have it. Honestly I labelled myself as asexual for a very long time because I never had a crush on any girls and those were the only "hot" people I'd seen because they were the only hot people I'd ever been shown, and I didn't even think about the fact that I'd never seen hot boys. As the people in my year started going through puberty, I started getting attracted to the boys so I started thinking about it. When some boys in my year showed me... explicit images of females (seriously they're 14, I don't think they should be looking that shiat up) and I felt nothing that sort of sealed the deal for me. When I saw my crush (who's definitely straight, which is depressing) working out in the school gym and I got the butterflies... yeah. Definitely could have been worse >___>.

And then since then coming out has been totally cool. There's one guy in my year who turned out to be homophobic to everyone's surprise, but he was a bit of a richard anyway so actually he's been treating me nicer out of fear of being ostracised because of being a homophobe, which turned out well. There was one awkward encounter where some of my better friends asked me about how weird gay sex is but I just explained how weird straight sex is too and they walked off >_>. So yeah, the whole gay thing has turned out pretty well for me personally. Obviously it can be a lot more difficult for others, and Britain is really good as far as homosexuality is concerned anyway. America is a bit behind on that front, but give it 10 years and I think the Christians will figure out that their religion doesn't really hate the gays anyway. My parents didn't care at all either, which was good.

Glad things have been going well so far, you seem to be handling it well. Haters gonna hate, just shake em off! haha :)

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
Hey everyone! Before I get to the reason for my post, I'd like to make it apparent that I'm straighter than an arrow. If I have to join the group for my post to be considered, then add me to the list. Just don't be surprised if you never see me post again.

I was wondering what some of you who are gay / bisexual / queer think of those with less "orthodox" identities and orientations (look here for a few, but I've seen some crazy ones on Tumblr). I was talking with my gay friend a week ago about this since I figured he'd have a better opinion than me. We were in the agreement that a lot (disclaimer: not all) of these people who claim to have a specific and unique orientation are really just trying to look different for attention. My friend even thought it was slightly offensive if some of those people are just attention seeking.

You see a lot of these unorthodox orientations with SJW's or Otherkin on Tumblr. Usually those people, in my eyes at least, are seeking attention or playing "follow the leader" with their opinions and thoughts, so it's easy to take everything they think or say as false to their true opinion.

Last edited:

Shining Raikou

Elite Member
Advanced Member
Hey everyone! Before I get to the reason for my post, I'd like to make it apparent that I'm straighter than an arrow. If I have to join the group for my post to be considered, then add me to the list. Just don't be surprised if you never see me post again.

I was wondering what some of you who are gay / bisexual / queer think of those with less "orthodox" identities and orientations (look here for a few, but I've seen some crazy ones on Tumblr). I was talking with my gay friend a week ago about this since I figured he'd have a better opinion than me. We were in the agreement that a lot (disclaimer: not all) of these people who claim to have a specific and unique orientation are really just trying to look different for attention. My friend even thought it was slightly offensive if some of those people are just attention seeking.

You see a lot of these unorthodox orientations with SJW's or Otherkin on Tumblr. Usually those people, in my eyes at least, are seeking attention or playing "follow the leader" with their opinions and thoughts, so it's easy to take everything they think or say as false to their true opinion.

I definitely think some people seek attention on Tumblr with labels, I mean, it's Tumblr. Not everyone on there does this, but a good amount make themselves out to be something a lot more than they really are.

However, I think there is some legitimacy to the picture you showed me, it makes sense. Although personally, I don't delve that deep because I point one direction both sexually and romantically, never occurred to me someone might have differences in one/the other. I don't know about some of the other ones, they are probably very "out there", but that doesn't mean they can't be legitimate. I've seen some people on Tumblr call themselves "cisgender" though, which doesn't make much sense to point out to me. I guess it has to have a word though?

Empoleon_master

Here's a cracked.com article on bisexuality which was interesting and a good read.

*insert link here when I can get to it*

And lastly why do we instinctively go and say "oh they're just doing it for attention/money from the government" when someone talks about being different in a way we are not widely exposed to yet? ie someone claiming that an eating disorder is "on purpose" because of deus ex machina they get money from insurance because reasons. Why can't we just accept people as being slightly different from us instead of claiming that they're going it for attention? I know that there are some people online that say they're this or that for attention but those cases are very, very rare. It's like how people think that it's "oh sooo easy to get food stamps and scam the government off of stuptillions of dollars each day, all you have to do is fill out a forum". Where, in reality it's:
1 Really damn hard to do that (I know someone that works in food stamps)
2 If you are somehow scamming the government YOU WILL GET CAUGHT VERY QUICKLY.
3 The very few people that do do it are never mentioned in the news etc, but when they are they make everyone else look like a piece of crap.

/end rant about judging people too quickly based on what they identify themselves as and how people are idiots to what the food stamp system is like in reality.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I'd like to join this group too. How does this group concept work?

Throughout the last few years I've really been trying to figure out what I am, and I'm still not sure. I know I'm different, and I've always been, I'm just not sure how much and it's frustrating and confusing me a lot.

Celever

Wheeeee~

Eh, I don't question it when other people say something about their sexuality. I just think that if it is true and they really are pansexual or whatever they might actually get hurt if I think otherwise. If they're lying and attention-seeking then they will inevitably have to properly come out anyway, or else never have a fulfilling relationship in their life which would be a pretty huge price to pay >_>.

Though at the same time I don't use Tumblr so I don't have a lot of experience with it. if people are just claiming to be sexually orientated in an unorthodox way then shame on them. It's just disrespectful.

I'd like to join this group too. How does this group concept work?

Throughout the last few years I've really been trying to figure out what I am, and I'm still not sure. I know I'm different, and I've always been, I'm just not sure how much and it's frustrating and confusing me a lot.
I'm sorry to hear that! :( The questioning period seems to be the hardest, I'm sure once you figure out what kind of person you like you'll feel a huge weight lifted off your shoulders.

I don't know if you want help from us trying to figure out your sexuality or not since it can be a very private thing. If you do want some help then just know that I'm happy to do so, and I'm sure many other users here are too. :]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a footnote, while we're on the topic of questions, what is the difference between queers and gays? I always thought it was pretty much the same thing.

Bowlerdude

Aspiring Trainer
I would like to be added too please. Though I don't post much on Pokebeach, this is something that I am very close to. Thanks!

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I'm sorry to hear that! :( The questioning period seems to be the hardest, I'm sure once you figure out what kind of person you like you'll feel a huge weight lifted off your shoulders.

I don't know if you want help from us trying to figure out your sexuality or not since it can be a very private thing. If you do want some help then just know that I'm happy to do so, and I'm sure many other users here are too. :]
You don't have to be, it's not as bad as it has been ^^
Currently it's just figuring whether I'm bi or "completely" gay, and if I need help, I'll definitely have you (and others) help :)

Empoleon_master

Eh, I don't question it when other people say something about their sexuality. I just think that if it is true and they really are pansexual or whatever they might actually get hurt if I think otherwise. If they're lying and attention-seeking then they will inevitably have to properly come out anyway, or else never have a fulfilling relationship in their life which would be a pretty huge price to pay >_>.

Though at the same time I don't use Tumblr so I don't have a lot of experience with it. if people are just claiming to be sexually orientated in an unorthodox way then shame on them. It's just disrespectful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a footnote, while we're on the topic of questions, what is the difference between queers and gays? I always thought it was pretty much the same thing.
I believe the term was first used to mean gay, but now it's used in its own way. My best guess at the current definition would be this. "A normally temporary term for someone that is wondering about their own sexuality."

And here's my best definition for questioning.
"A period in a person's life that can go on for any length of time at any age, where they wonder 'who are they? Are they bi, pan, gay. straight that leans a bit towards the same gender?'"

You don't have to be, it's not as bad as it has been ^^
Currently it's just figuring whether I'm bi or "completely" gay, and if I need help, I'll definitely have you (and others) help :)
I just want to politely put this up here, which is something they seem to never cover in modern sex ed classes (even if they cover the full rainbows of LGBT) sexuality is fluidic. Like my transgender friend is bi, but they lean more towards women, but they are still bi because they can be happy with any gender, they just prefer women a bit more.

SylveonsAndEspurrs

Puhuhuhu!
I would certainly appreciate to be added here for both being a supporter and a member of the LGBTQ community uwu
To expand on this, I am 21 years old, identify as genderfluid with a preference for female pronouns [though couldn't care less what gender I am addressed as], and have been struggling with what I consider myself sexuality wise.

Last edited:

Shining Raikou

Elite Member
Advanced Member
Thanks for the support all, we're 3 members from becoming a permanent fixture in this forum (per the new rules)! :)

"Queer" actually is defined as meaning "strange". Partially why I don't use this term, as I think it is degrading in a way. However, it has been used for quite a long time, and many LGBTQ+ members of society still use it. You can find more info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer

Also, read this article today: http://www.vox.com/2015/7/14/8963447/snda-schools-lgbtq-discrimination Congress recently voted on this bill and failed to pass it in the Republican controlled congress. Unfortunate... so many live in fear at school.

Collapsing

Time Master
I don't agree with the idea of Homosexuality, not trying to start a flame war, but that being said, they don't deserve special treatment, now this is a sensitive topic however if a church does not want to marry a gay or lesbian couple they should not have to. I could care less what people do alone or with others but when it starts attacking my church I get annoyed. I don't hate gays, I simply don't agree with the idea and don't want people to shove it down my throat. I'd love to hear some feedback on this, I.E. do you think this is right looking from another person's standpoint.

Celever

Wheeeee~
I don't agree with the idea of Homosexuality, not trying to start a flame war, but that being said, they don't deserve special treatment, now this is a sensitive topic however if a church does not want to marry a gay or lesbian couple they should not have to. I could care less what people do alone or with others but when it starts attacking my church I get annoyed. I don't hate gays, I simply don't agree with the idea and don't want people to shove it down my throat. I'd love to hear some feedback on this, I.E. do you think this is right looking from another person's standpoint.
1) Marriage is not a religious thing. Thus no one should be denied the right to marry based on religion.
2) You typed that post up as if homosexuality is a conscious decision people make. This is a widespread fallacy throughout America (and basically nowhere else, may I add) but it's really not; it's completely natural, just like heterosexuality is natural for you.
3) I completely agree that they don't deserve special treatment. However, churches don't deny marriage to straight couples without VERY good reason, and if they have the same reasons for a gay couple they should also be able to deny marriage to them. However, homosexuality is not a good enough reason to deny marriage to someone -- that is giving heteros special treatment, and what everyone wants (or should want) is equality.

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
So you'll come in here and shove your ideals down our throats? Good to know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.