LGBTQA+ Advice & Discussion Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you'll come in here and shove your ideals down our throats? Good to know.
There's no need to be rude. Homophobia is as natural as homosexuality is, except that homophobia CAN be overcome and in my opinion, like any phobia, should be.

Why don't asexuals get any love? The A always seems to be left out at the end.

So you'll come in here and shove your ideals down our throats? Good to know.
That's a very shallow way to look at my post, nitpicking through it and quoting parts of it without taking note of the rest. And I don't quite see what you mean by that anyhow, this is a public forum open to discussion, I even asked for your opinion on the subject, nice to see that you are respectful of my opinion.
1) Marriage is not a religious thing. Thus no one should be denied the right to marry based on religion.
2) You typed that post up as if homosexuality is a conscious decision people make. This is a widespread fallacy throughout America (and basically nowhere else, may I add) but it's really not; it's completely natural, just like heterosexuality is natural for you.
3) I completely agree that they don't deserve special treatment. However, churches don't deny marriage to straight couples without VERY good reason, and if they have the same reasons for a gay couple they should also be able to deny marriage to them. However, homosexuality is not a good enough reason to deny marriage to someone -- that is giving heteros special treatment, and what everyone wants (or should want) is equality.
Marriage has been tied together as a Religious ceremony of joining two persons together for thousands of years, true that is changing.
You also assumed what I believe based on words I used, such as "idea". Agreed I could have worded the second sentence differently but don't let that be the center of discussion. Say a organization for thousands of years had rules based on their beliefs, and a percentage of the population wanted it to change, they shouldn't have to change their beliefs and rules to better suit the rest of the populace. Don't take that for granted as it doesn't work with a lot of things, but in the current situation of religion it does.

I already said I don't dislike or prejudice homosexuals, saying I have homophobia is incorrect at the least.

That's a very shallow way to look at my post, nitpicking through it and quoting parts of it without taking note of the rest. And I don't quite see what you mean by that anyhow, this is a public forum open to discussion, I even asked for your opinion on the subject, nice to see that you are respectful of my opinion.
Fine, fine, perhaps I was a bit hostile. Just caught me off-guard that this is a thread that's supposed to be full of support and positivity and here you are claiming that your rights as being thrown away because the world is being progressive and more accepting of others. If progressive ideals didn't go through, then women wouldn't be able to vote, blacks wouldn't have rights, and chances are America would still be a part of Great Britain.

Saying they shouldn't get special treatment is perfectly alright! They should be getting the same treatment as everyone else anyway.

You're allowed to believe whatever you want to believe. You can say gay marriage is wrong, but until it becomes a fundamental issue in your life (people literally getting married in the streets and blocking your path to work) then I am obligated to disagree with you. If you don't like gay marriage, then don't take part in a gay marriage.

That being said let's not continue this discussion anymore, it is just leading to more bickering. I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

Marriage has been tied together as a Religious ceremony of joining two persons together for thousands of years, true that is changing.
While this is true, it's changing back to how it originally was. Marriage in itself isn't at all a religious ceremony and is instead a secular rite of passage. Because it was a part of culture when these religions were founded they adapted the ritual to suit their needs.
You also assumed what I believe based on words I used, such as "idea". Agreed I could have worded the second sentence differently but don't let that be the center of discussion. Say a organization for thousands of years had rules based on their beliefs, and a percentage of the population wanted it to change, they shouldn't have to change their beliefs and rules to better suit the rest of the populace. Don't take that for granted as it doesn't work with a lot of things, but in the current situation of religion it does.
Should people with dark skin complexions be allowed to marry then? The church was against that for thousands of years too.

Also, Christianity isn't -- or at least shouldn't be -- against homosexuality. This is also an extremely widespread fallacy. This thread had a lot of discussion on the matter, but I think that this post of mine in particular gives enough evidence to show that The Bible actually supports homosexuality. There are many more points raised in the rest of the thread if you have time to read through it, though.

I agree that religions shouldn't have to change stalwart teachings to better suit the populace, however, as bad as this is, I must say that in general I don't include Christianity in the "protected" religions. They already cherry pick teachings based on what the populace in general is feeling about a certain subject (again bringing up my earlier example of dark-skinned people now being allowed to be Christian higher-ups) and even some teachings are just chosen as untrue for convenience's sake with no explanation given. For example, did you know that bowl hair cuts, and shaving in general is against The Bible? Anyone without testicles -- including women -- is banned from going to church? Of course, those were teachings in the old testament, which Jesus disregarded. You know what else was one of those teachings? That homosexuality is wrong. This is what I mean by Christianity cherry picking what teachings they choose to believe in, and as such they should change their ideals to suit the rest of the populace 100% of the time since they do it already. Religions such as Islam which are a lot stricter should not be forced to do it.

I already said I don't dislike or prejudice homosexuals, saying I have homophobia is incorrect at the least.
You didn't say that you dislike homosexuals, true, but you did say that you dislike homosexuality. Thus you are homophobic, though not to the degree of other people who actually go out and injure gays based on something which isn't even a choice of their's.

While this is true, it's changing back to how it originally was. Marriage in itself isn't at all a religious ceremony and is instead a secular rite of passage. Because it was a part of culture when these religions were founded they adapted the ritual to suit their needs.

Should people with dark skin complexions be allowed to marry then? The church was against that for thousands of years too.

Also, Christianity isn't -- or at least shouldn't be -- against homosexuality. This is also an extremely widespread fallacy. This thread had a lot of discussion on the matter, but I think that this post of mine in particular gives enough evidence to show that The Bible actually supports homosexuality. There are many more points raised in the rest of the thread if you have time to read through it, though.

I agree that religions shouldn't have to change stalwart teachings to better suit the populace, however, as bad as this is, I must say that in general I don't include Christianity in the "protected" religions. They already cherry pick teachings based on what the populace in general is feeling about a certain subject (again bringing up my earlier example of dark-skinned people now being allowed to be Christian higher-ups) and even some teachings are just chosen as untrue for convenience's sake with no explanation given. For example, did you know that bowl hair cuts, and shaving in general is against The Bible? Anyone without testicles -- including women -- is banned from going to church? Of course, those were teachings in the old testament, which Jesus disregarded. You know what else was one of those teachings? That homosexuality is wrong. This is what I mean by Christianity cherry picking what teachings they choose to believe in, and as such they should change their ideals to suit the rest of the populace 100% of the time since they do it already. Religions such as Islam which are a lot stricter should not be forced to do it.

You didn't say that you dislike homosexuals, true, but you did say that you dislike homosexuality. Thus you are homophobic, though not to the degree of other people who actually go out and injure gays based on something which isn't even a choice of their's.

Homophobia is the dislike of homosexual individuals, saying I dislike the basis of homosexuality is not a "phobia" of homosexuals. I don't have a problem with spiders but thinking that the idea that they poison and eat their victims is cruel is not a phobia of them, it's an ideal or opinion.
I'm not going to argue any more as this is supposed to be a positive discussion, thanks for the feedback.

I don't agree with the idea of Homosexuality, not trying to start a flame war, but that being said, they don't deserve special treatment, now this is a sensitive topic however if a church does not want to marry a gay or lesbian couple they should not have to. I could care less what people do alone or with others but when it starts attacking my church I get annoyed. I don't hate gays, I simply don't agree with the idea and don't want people to shove it down my throat. I'd love to hear some feedback on this, I.E. do you think this is right looking from another person's standpoint.

Here is my perspective on this:

You tolerate us and we will tolerate you as well. Acceptance goes both ways. Frankly in my opinion using religion as a reason to deny human rights is a non-starter. There are many more religions and people from all walks of life in this world, and you can't just say something like "well one of them doesn't like bread so the law should be that all gluten is banned". You do not have to approve of the life they lead but you should support their right to have the things straight people take for granted. Additionally, you kind of strike a nerve with the "what people do alone or with others" comment. That just intensifies the ignorance in your post. Your post should say "who people love" not what people "do alone or with others".

I also ask you to not post in this topic again unless you do more research or strike a more supportive/trying to understand something tone, because as my rules clearly state in the OP:
  1. We welcome LGBTQ individuals as well as allies of the LGBTQ community in our discussions here, but please do not post any material that is negative toward another member or not supportive in nature. Any type of hateful messages or bullying toward a member will be handled posthaste. We ask members to deal with these kinds of people by reporting them to me or another moderator whether it be a post or PM instead of responding to them.
Why don't asexuals get any love? The A always seems to be left out at the end.

I added A+ to the title and clarified in the OP. Asexuals are definitely allowed here as well as others such as Pan, Demi, etc.

Last edited:
Why won't you include the abcdefgsexuals?!?!
No, just kidding. I find it funny how sometimes you'll see a thread like this on a site then suddenly someone throws a fit for the thread not including every single label ever in existence, like each one has to be specifically mentioned and cant just be represented as the + in LGBTQIA+
Also, before you ask, I is Intersex, I believe.

Anyway, would someone mind getting me a little pin for my shirt saying I'm a member of this group? And hopefully not pin it onto my shirt and accidentally give me a new piercing?

I don't agree with the idea of Homosexuality, not trying to start a flame war, but that being said, they don't deserve special treatment, now this is a sensitive topic however if a church does not want to marry a gay or lesbian couple they should not have to. I could care less what people do alone or with others but when it starts attacking my church I get annoyed. I don't hate gays, I simply don't agree with the idea and don't want people to shove it down my throat. I'd love to hear some feedback on this, I.E. do you think this is right looking from another person's standpoint.

So, I'm straight myself, no questioning, no confusion, absolutely straight. With that said, I 100% support every member of the LGBT+ community. Now, sadly, I don't post here much, so I'm not sure if "joining" would get me very far, but we'll see.

However, let's get on to why I decided to post here in the first place. I want to start by saying, you are 100% entitled to your opinion, regardless of how close minded it is, you have every right to believe what you believe. But I've got to wonder, exactly what "special treatment" you speak of. I didn't know marriage was a special treatment only members with a sexual orientation different from our own could bask in. I really want to know what special treatment you are speaking of. Are they getting free ice cream cones at Baskin Robins or something because this statement legitimately confuses me. For years, and I mean several, several years, Homosexuals, trans-gendered, bi-sexuals, etc have been prevented from basic human rights, ya know, the exact opposite of "special treatment". Also, I don't believe members of the LGBT+ community are "attacking" your church. Living their lives =/= attacking your church and its bigoted views. I'm getting quite tired of this "persecuting me and my religion" trash that has been running around lately. It's funny how religion can tell people how to live their lives, going as far as preventing them from being happily married, but the second it's legalized in all 50 states, they're the ones being persecuted and having things "forced down their throats". That same religion you follow, among others, were the ones shoving things down throats my friend. You don't have to "agree" with it, even though there isn't anything to "agree" with. It's like not "agreeing" with someone having 6 toes, or not "agreeing" with someone being a woman, or not "agreeing" with someone being African American. But you will have to live with it. We as a society are slowly, but surely moving forward, if you want to stay in the 30s, feel free, but the rest of us are moving forward.

The thing is no group of people should be able to take the rights away from anyone, no matter what group or religion they belong to. This is like saying the religious can't build churches on public land because not all people are of the religion.

While I agree they dont deserve special treatment, I do feel it should be at least mentioned because people still have a issue with this. Remember that slavery and discrimination was not too long ago and people did not like the idea of blacks being free.

I want homosexual to be like being straight, where no one thinks twice about it or even care, like most people don't care about seeing a black guy walking down the street. This is a old mindset that needs to die off.

I mean, we all live on this rocks moving fast through space that can go away at the blink of an eye in the history of the universe and it not even care about it. The one thing we can at least do is get along.

The thing is no group of people should be able to take the rights away from anyone, no matter what group or religion they belong to. This is like saying the religious can't build churches on public land because not all people are of the religion.

While I agree they dont deserve special treatment, I do feel it should be at least mentioned because people still have a issue with this. Remember that slavery and discrimination was not too long ago and people did not like the idea of blacks being free.

I want homosexual to be like being straight, where no one thinks twice about it or even care, like most people don't care about seeing a black guy walking down the street. This is a old mindset that needs to die off.

I mean, we all live on this rocks moving fast through space that can go away at the blink of an eye in the history of the universe and it not even care about it. The one thing we can at least do is get along.

While this is an ideal world, it's also an impossible world.

Using your example of dark-skinned people, most people will immediately associate a dark-skinned guy with crime, due to the fearmongering that is inflicted on all of us from a young age as far as the race is concerned.

For example, gay guys will always be associated with femininity, and lesbians will always have questions like "which is the butch? :eek:" when a lesbian couple meets a straight couple. They're just the sort of things which come to mind because of how we learn about the gays, and this will be passed through the generations.

I think people have every right to disagree with homosexuality, sure their opinion may be a result of generational prejudices or a lack of exposure/education on the subject due to geographical demographics but everyone has a basic right to their opinion as long as they're not hurting anyone.

I don't believe polysexual and pansexual are real things, I think they're just people who are bi but want a different label, I also believe humans are a bigendered species, in my eyes there is just male and female (with hermaphroditism happening because you never know what those crazy chromosomes are going to get up to) (incidentally a trans person is every bit the gender they transitioned to as someone born that gender) but as I said we all have our own views on the world.

It is easier than some people think to live and let live.

I don't mind someone posting one good post here and there but please remember to let me know if you are joining (send me a PM or profile comment if you like instead of editing your post). I need to know for PM stuff and the Skype group. :)

Also, remember this is not a debate topic but a discussion, and we should be bringing positivity, questions, support, and facts here whenever possible. This is not the Marriage thread so if you are looking for a debate please start a new topic!

Last edited:
I'll just put this up here because it's awesome.
Warning language and a bit of sex ref.
And here's one for transgender people, it's awesome.
And one on Kaitlyn Jenner, warning more language.

Last edited:

This video is amazing, but it's old so you've all probably seen it by now. I only discovered it today though.

That being said let's not continue this discussion anymore, it is just leading to more bickering. I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.
Talk about a cowardly cop-out. You say you regret posting here but I really do doubt that. You know what I think? I think you didn't want there to be a support group for LGBT people without at least one person spreading their homophobia - because, to you, it doesn't matter if you continually pest them - it only matters to you if the concept of homophobia and discrimination EXISTS at least in some miniscule form in that topic as a means to comfort you. I think you posted here as a reminder to LGBT people that there are people out there that hate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back