Kingdra ex, Horsea Illustration Rare, Dangerous Laser ACE SPEC, and More Revealed from “Night Wanderer!”

Furthermore, even though the cards (Kingambit and Greninja) have different artists, they are all, including Kingdra, specifically described as "Ukiyo-e (woodblock) art style" which, at least to me, indicates that they all have similar origins

The marketing still buffles me. Greninja is clearly more of a fude-ink inspired art style (a la okami) than woodblock. Kinggambit has way too many details for woodblock to.

I must say, TPC really needs to step up their SAR game again.

The Ogerpons were so bland and should have been the SRs. None of the 3 different variations look that much different from each other and that is bad when 2 of them are just in-house cheap 5ban Graphics work.

Then the set right after we get Pecharunt, that somehow manages to look even worse than Ogerpon considering there is no excuse for it to be just chains on an empty black background. It again looks similar to the CGI normal art.

And now it looks like we have the Loyal 3 getting SARs - hopefully there is a better concept and art director otherwise I fear it's gonna connect to Pecharunt somehow and then we'll have 8 SAR Pokemon in a row that look like glorified SRs.

The fact these are going to be much rarer to pull and have texture over the existing ARs is an insult since all 5 of them look brilliant and would've looked even better with texture. Won't complain about them being cheaper but what a waste of texture.
If the SARs are Pecharunt and the loyal 3 with a black background and the gaudy chains running across each card, this set will fall flat on its face.

The marketing still buffles me. Greninja is clearly more of a fude-ink inspired art style (a la okami) than woodblock. Kinggambit has way too many details for woodblock to.
I think they maybe they should have gone with "inspired" rather than "art-style," but I don't know if they put too much thought into the specific term being used. I could see "Ukiyo-E" being used as a term, by them, as a way of saying "Ancient Japanese" inspired/style, and that they didn't assume discussion about specific ancient Japanese art styles would occur amongst their consumers :p

Why is dangerous laser an Ace Spec? Is a weaker version of hypnotoxic laser, sleep could buy you a turn while confusion can be cured while retreat and there arent even burn amplifiers and burn could not even stay for more than one turn, if a least have a rule like "this card return to your hand at the end of your turn" or something, I dont know...
Considering Hypnotoxic was better than nearly every Ace Spec of that era, it's deserved.

Why is dangerous laser an Ace Spec? Is a weaker version of hypnotoxic laser, sleep could buy you a turn while confusion can be cured while retreat and there arent even burn amplifiers and burn could not even stay for more than one turn, if a least have a rule like "this card return to your hand at the end of your turn" or something, I dont know...
This could be great for klawf decks tho ever since spicy curry rotated

This is worth absolutely nothing but felt like mentioning it.

DANGEROUS laser? Like Hyonotoxic lazer is a bit silly but at least cool, (arguably a better card and isn't even a spec.) But dangerous? What about... Brain Melting, bit dark but it gets the theme of Confusion and Burn across.

If people have any other ideas respond but dangerous lazer is soooo. Ehh?

DANGEROUS laser? Like Hyonotoxic lazer is a bit silly but at least cool, (arguably a better card and isn't even a spec.) But dangerous? What about... Brain Melting, bit dark but it gets the theme of Confusion and Burn across.

Heat-Stun Gun Laser?

I really doubt the Kingdra originates from this set. If Kingdra would have gotten an SIR card, Horsea wouldn't have gotten an AR card, since either it's one member of the line or the entire line receiving IR/SIR (see Pidgeot ex, Revavroom ex, Blastoise ex). And when it's a full-line IR/SIR they are all revealed at the same time, see the recent example with Dusknoir or previous with Revavroom and Pidgeot.

It also wouldn't make much sense, to me at least, for a set based around Pecharunt and the Loyal Three to have SIR cards of Pecharunt and then one or two of the Loyal Three instead of all three.

Furthermore, even though the cards (Kingambit and Greninja) have different artists, they are all, including Kingdra, specifically described as "Ukiyo-e (woodblock) art style" which, at least to me, indicates that they all have similar origins
There’s also no space for Seadra AR so if for some reason they just decided to reveal it separately, which I doubt, you can’t have the entire line now anyways

That IR Horsea is really cute, but too bad that has 60 HP. And Kingdra's first attacks looks amazing, will allow you to put different Stage 1 and 2 in play but is losing a turn. Still I believe it has advantage with Irida among others Stages 2 to setup quickly.

I also was wondering if a Cassiopeia Boss's Orders could be possible, but now that has their own card, I doubt it.

"Brain Melting Laser" sounds a little violent for a children's game, doesn't it? The name of the card doesn't need to explain the whole function of the card, that's what the effect text is for.
As Maltrab mentioned, it's important to put it into perspective. Dangerous Laser is an ACE SPEC card because they don't want the next three blocks to feature an item card that effectively reads "inflict 20 damage, plus maybe some extra effects that could amount to up to 70 damage" at anywhere from one to four copies in most decks in the game. The card doesn't need to have its own built-in recursion engine to "justify itself" because the purpose of a new ACE SPEC card is not to become the only ACE SPEC card anyone wants to be using in any deck, but to create a series of niche options that appeal to certain strategies or playstyles, some of which might not even exist until people get their hands on it.

That IR Horsea is really cute, but too bad that has 60 HP. And Kingdra's first attacks looks amazing, will allow you to put different Stage 1 and 2 in play but is losing a turn. Still I believe it has advantage with Irida among others Stages 2 to setup quickly.

I also was wondering if a Cassiopeia Boss's Orders could be possible, but now that has their own card, I doubt it.

Dragapult is going to keep on getting smashed by big basics next set anyway.

Ogerbolt is destroying it atm and loyal three dark deck can do it aswell. Seems the fad was exaggerated and short lived.

What? Attaches from deck. Is not more balanced at all.
That is an upgrade, but the crucial distinction is that it doesn't draw you any cards. The reason why Welder and Sada are so broken, is that they both accelerate and provide card advantage at the same time. Janine only does one of those. It's good - it's probably a bit too good - but it's nowhere near that level.

Back