Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

This shiftry reminds of the xy malamar mental trash first attack but fliping 4 coins for a single darkness energy but this one you get to look at their hand and know which resources u discard and flip 3 coins is very big, leave them with a dead hand. It's 2nd atk combined with the ancient origins trash tentacle putting a card back into your hand, except this is only a trainer card and does 30 more damage. I could see this being played with forest of giant plants, trick coin, octillary or vileplume, judge, xerosic, enhanced/crushing hammers, trick shovel, head ringers maybe will be banded like the big fan shiftry was. Then just burrow or melt horn when they have like 10 cards left or no energy. I think this is a stronger junk hunt that can actually take prizes as well...

Last edited:
Can't see this card getting used at all, unless it has a decent break evolution.
It seems to have potential in a disruption/mill deck, but it looks too clunky to set up and inconsistent even with giant plant forest and trick coin, that the opponent would have set themselves up fast enough to start taking prizes.

I have to say WPM your snarky comments have been amazing, keep it up as pokemon releases more set filler via twiter! : D

Also what is with pokemon with decent art yet super sucky attacks/abilities, does pokemon specifically tel them to only have one or the other? Why can't we go back to having amazing cards with amazing art like Zoroark BRK?

Shiftry: good art, not likely to see play outside of annoying PTCGO decks (although that is a meta in itself nowadays)..

I have to say though, regarding the Ferro____ family pronunciation: wut?

"Furrah"-thorn sounds like some kind of southern cowboy nonsense. "You and your furrah-thorn better be outta this here town by sundown, pardner."

On the other hand "fair-o" actually sounds like the root prefix "Ferro" as in ferromagnetism, iron compounds (ex: ferrous oxide), etc.

Sometimes official sources can't get pronunciations right (see: Arceus, a shitton of names from PBR).

Ferro-seed and Ferro-thorn make way more sense.

They should have brought back Unlucky Wind Shiftry :3
Or Evolutionary Fan, for a less potent, yet more consistent Bats deck.

Ehhhhh.... Neat for a fun deck.
I just hope this doesn't get rarity bumped, it seriously doesn't deserve it.

(Talking about Ferrothorn btw)

As for Shiftry - It's pretty neat. Here's hoping Nuzleaf is grass.

I don't know about you, but that Shiftry looks like it just blew up a building in the background. He wants some respect.

As for Shiftry - It's pretty neat. Here's hoping Nuzleaf is grass.

That worried about the next rotation? ;)

We already have a Grass Nuzleaf in the Standard card pool: XY: Flashfire 6/106. Not that we couldn't use a better one, just I doubt that in a set focused on BREAK Evolutions, they are going to give us a worthwhile Stage 1. Be happy to be wrong though. :)

Shiftry BREAK: Shuffle all your opponents pokemon back into their deck.

tomorrows news: Shiftry BREAK banned from standard format

Who wants to bet Shiftry BREAK will have Shiftry from NXD's Ability? Wouldn't be as broken seeing as how we have to deal with a stage 3 and the stage 2 is dark. The ability could be something like "As long as this Pokemon evolved from a dark-type Pokemon, flip a coin, if heads shuffle your opponent's active into his or her deck."

who wants to bet there is no shiftry BREAk and this is just a bad card lol

That art. I don't even know how to describe it. I wounder what was going through their heads.

"I really want lunch right now, but i have to finish this new card art".
looks over at side of desk and sees Nuzleaf figure.

"Lunch here I come".

I really hope they go back to that time where one artist drew all Pokemon in one evolutionairy line. I really like consistency.

Back