Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Parasect could get the energy out for you (via an attack, sadly), but you'd have to use energy switches or an equivalent ability. Smeargle can help get the right energy out if you run only a couple [R].
I was about to post something like this XD

Parasect could get the energy out for you (via an attack, sadly), but you'd have to use energy switches or an equivalent ability. Smeargle can help get the right energy out if you run only a couple [R]. Expanded could use Beautifly (Dragons Exalted).

@Purrloin Golduck BREAK has Fairy transfer for basic energy [any type].

Why couldn't they make it somewhat playable by making it's ability affect any pokemon, not just it. We're already getting cluttered by all these junk EXes that you can't even call an "EX". What is up with this!?

Oh my. This is beautiful.

I hope the Full Art is good, but compared to BW Full Arts, nothing from the XY era has come close to that quality. I hope they'll step it up with this one.

Ugh, you can't substitute Cleansing Flame's condition with a Rainbow Energy, can you?

If you really wanted to play with it, you could use Solar Birth Volcarona from Ancient Origins paired with Smeargle.
I forgot about Volcarona. That might be the best Standard-legal way to get it into play quickly, for now. Good catch!

@Purrloin Golduck BREAK has Fairy transfer for basic energy [any type].
I forgot about Golduck Break too. Then again, I forget about most Break cards...

It'll help, but this method would still require multiple energy to be in play either way, and Golduck can only move basic energy (so Rainbow is out). By the time Golduck Break gets set up, you could have a Ho-Oh fully-charged or nearly so. :/

The artwork is absolutely outstanding, although I'm not too sure how much I like about the actual card. Damage of 130 and snipe doesn't feel overly great considering the amount of [L] counters there are for [C]. I guess a defensive deck could be an interesting option with the amount of basic support we're getting, so this print is not necessarily entirely noncompetitive, which is nice. ^_^

Ugh, you can't substitute Cleansing Flame's condition with a Rainbow Energy, can you?
Unfortunately the energy must be basic, meaning this won't work.

How to keep your game stuck in the same format:
Make every single EX after Giratina bad so it can't compete.

Looks pretty, but unfortunately another questionable card that no one benefits from. Which...is very popular with them lately.

They really gotta let the item lock and Mewtwo format go.

When was the last time we've seen a colourless ho-oh!?

Beautiful artwrok! I really want to see what the full art looks like.

Oh wow, yet another gorgeous card of a pokemon I love! I might have to collect this set. I hope there is a gorgeous Ho-oh full art. :)

I love this card, but the decks this Pokémon will be used in will probably be kind of hard to make with the 4 types it needs in 1 deck. I guess you can make a dragon type deck with this, but we have double dragon energy for that. Also, I love the art of this card, and a can not wait for this full art.

I could see this as a potential early-game wall, especially with its Fighting resistance and fighting decks being common nowadays. It could help stall for a while as you set up the good stuff but it probably won't be a great attacker. The full art should be nice if they do it right

I'm glad that at least this Ho-oh EX is colorless. We haven't had one of those since the Neo Revelations set way back in the day.

The ability and attack itself isn't too bad. It's the fact it wants you to have at least three different types of energy attached to use the attack plus a fourth one for the ability. I suppose a true colorless deck might not care so much about the oddball requirements.

I was thinking of using this Ho-oh as a wall mostly. 50 Damage healed off each turn is actually pretty decent, given how unappealing other healing effects have been in this game.

Also, remember that we'll have Max Elixir for energy acceleration, Altaria to block Weakness, Winona to get it out, Manaphy for free retreat, Smeargle to change energy and Fighting Spirit Belt to increase HP. I could definitely see an intriguing deck to build with it, and not every card has been revealed in this set yet!

I don't even like Ho-oh that much but wow this is a beautiful card <3 I love how they gave him an "Elemental" attack like Lugia has, tho the attack cost really doesn't make sense lol. Celebi, Suicune, and.. PIKACHU? Would've made a little more sense if it was Grass/Water/Psychic for Lugia pfff

Double Rainbow Energy reprint could make this... nope still not a good card. Though easily my favourite EX artwork yet.

Back