Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Get ready for an inconsistent, joke of a card. The positive news is that finally a Colorless Pokemon that is Flying has a different Weakness than Lightning.

Honestly this looks like a card mostly used for its ability with a filler attack (Like Hoopa/Celebi/etc) as an early game wall in decks with fire energy. That doesn't mean it's good ,or even a needed role, but hey, it has flavor. And it's definitely a pretty card!

I can see it being a wall or an EXP Share holder in Golduck toolbox decks maybe (and it definitely has synergy with Smeargle)

You can start off with an Ho-oh EX and attach a Burst Balloon to it. To give yourself time to set up or get some damage counters on your opponents active Pokémon early on. I don't know if it will work great, i am not competitive. It just came up in my mind.

@Whoever said something about "Golden Energy": that sounds like an awesome idea for a BREAK-only Special Energy! Might even make us want to use them :)

Back to Ho-oh though, as many have pointed out, the energy requirements are just... silly. They don't even go with the legendary dogs' types... speaking of which, I don't think anyone mentioned that we got Entei (XY7), Raikou (XY8), and Suicune (XY9), and Ho-oh only after these guys, and after the Eeveeloution EXs. That's something right?

The ability, while somewhat creative... might just end up a flop. The best thing about it WOULD have been that it could have walled an infinite number of Muscle Band Quaking Punches (provided no HTL), but alas, the weakness is Water and not Lightning (as [C] pokemon usually have)! Such wasted potential. It's probably not worth attaching Weakness Policy just for that, but man, this could have had at least some kind of decent niche. Also, Smeargle would have worked better with Blacksmith and a Fire type Ho-oh. I don't like to complain too much, but yeah.

Speaking of the weakness though, we haven't seen PCL break from the "standardization" of weaknesses since probably before BW (I cannot think of an example of anything BW-on). Maybe they really are trying to "BREAK" from the norms... (next stop, Holon)!

But seriously, I think it's a good thing. I don't wanna see another Heatran with a Fire weakness. Hopefully this means we're looking at more creativity in the future.

Its pretty epic to see it again as the Flying type to it, which I don't think has been seen since the Skyridge Crystal Ho-Oh.

By the way things seem, XY9 seems to be already blowing that XY8 Mewtwo fetish set away into the atmosphere..

Hey guys, remember, we haven't got a colorless only special energy yet. Yeah most people think it won't happen, but it could have some effect like "This energy provides any type of energy while attached to a colorless Pokemon, but only 1 at a time. While attached to a colorless Pokemon, this energy counts as a basic energy" or something like that that would make this usable.

That art is so beautiful I want to run in in every deck. Maybe someone could make a slow fire deck and stall with this? Anyone? Please?

There's got to be something coming out in the set that takes advantage of this. I wouldn't be so quick to write this off as terrible until all the cards are announced...

There's got to be something coming out in the set that takes advantage of this. I wouldn't be so quick to write this off as terrible until all the cards are announced...

I actually recall M-Ray being written off as terrible before a certain card that made it "broken" was announced. However, since Ho-oh is not the main card I doubt there is going to be too much support for it. Still, feeling optimistic about the card in general. ^_^

>it almost feels like PCL is reworking and remaking cards rather than creating brand new ones.

Plenty of the good cards we see are based on older cards. The Phantom Forces Bats are based on Team Rocket and Neo Destiny Bats. Plenty of cards are based on older ones.

It seems like a lot of effort but honestly, and I don't like to make sweeping generalizations, there are few cards that are good without context. Gorge art, super bummed it has the 'basic' clause or else rainbow energy would be perfect.

at least it's not rainbow burn tbh

Maybe two Smeargles on the bench would make this card viable? Switch to [R], use ability, switch back to the discarded energy and attack. Smeargle makes multi coloured decks much more viable.

You can start off with an Ho-oh EX and attach a Burst Balloon to it. To give yourself time to set up or get some damage counters on your opponents active Pokémon early on. I don't know if it will work great, i am not competitive. It just came up in my mind.
"If this card is attached to a Pokémon at the end of your opponent's next turn, discard this card."
So, the opponent passes his turn without attacking and you have to discard the Burst Balloon while still setting up...

Here's one suggestion:

1. 2 Smeargles!
2 Magma's Camerupt (and/or Reshiram).
3. Eelektross (+ Eelektric in EXP) or Golduck BREAK.
4. MAX Elixir.
5. 13+ Basic Energies in the deck (5 Fire, 3 Water, 3 Lightning & 3 Grass).
6*. Fighting Spirit TOOL.

It's an extremely long shot (especially since it still doesn't OHKO EX's) but it's the only feasible way I know of.

Nice to see yet another unique attack in this set. I really do hope there's a Lilligant BREAK because Whimper sounds like it'd be a lot of fun to use... with a Pokemon that isn't a mere 80 HP.

While this Lilligant isn't the best energy-hate card, I'll definitely at least be giving it a try. Anyone who really knows me can tell you I love playing around with cards like this even though they obviously can't compete well at events.

Anyway, love the art for this card! Here's to hoping for a BREAK evolution!

While this Lilligant isn't the best energy-hate card, I'll definitely at least be giving it a try. Anyone who really knows me can tell you I love playing around with cards like this even though they obviously can't compete well at events.

Anyway, love the art for this card! Here's to hoping for a BREAK evolution!
I'm sad that more people don't take this attitude. Judge a set by how much fun you have with it rather than how powerful it is.
Good on you sir, I agree.

I always judge a set by the quality of its artwork, the awesomeness of its FAs, and the amount of my personal favourite Pokémon it includes. >.> <.<

For me, the last few card releases have definitely raised my opinion of this set by a couple points (Ho-Oh! Lilligant! Super cute rats!), though it's still trending low, mostly thanks to ugly BREAK cards filling up my RR spots.

Back