Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Reggie McGigas

-
Megas vs BREAKS is a much better theme than that godawful attempt at a storyline we heard earlier. However I feel like Shinies vs BREAKS would be the best idea as Shinies are the original odd-colored Pokemon and seeing a batch of the old shinies fight the new kids on the block would be awesome.

professor layton

Aspiring Trainer
Wow, the past sets have been terrible.

Roaring Skies seems to have been the last decent-quality set.

I'm probably gonna be done with collecting cards for a while. These sets are horrible.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
You have to take into account cards though. Since Mega Gyarados is water, it can take advantage of Archie's and Keldeo. In Standard, there's Mega Turbo.

Tyrantrum EX focuses on OHKOs and it can get setup in 2 turns with DDE. Primal Groudon amazingly got resurrected during Regionals and it focuses on OHKOs. Yeah it's slow but Omega Barrier has great defense so that doesn't matter. M Ray focuses on OHKOs and can beat NM, Keldeo and Magnezone/Raikou also focus on OHKOs, both Mega MewTwos focus on that as well. Need I go on? The point is, while OHKO decks always existed, this format focuses on it. Saying they always existed is shifting the discussion. Weren't you replying to someone saying that this format isn't a OHKO one?

I was saying each format has always had decks that could get OHKOs but not all decks focused on it. I would like to see less of these type decks because they are too easy. The issue here is card design and the need to one up what was made last. M Gyra is going to be used in Standard if someone wants to try it out and if in Expanded, if Keldeo affects sells of the newest set, it will be banned just on that alone.

I also remembered all the comments saying that M Groudon sucked yet its winning tournaments. Just sit back and wait for someone to win with the deck.

Hellcat

Outlaw Trainer
Angry lobster is angry... And not all that great. I know I'd probably never use it. Just another good looking card to add to my collection.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
I am noticing a pattern first chenaught then greninga in BREAKpoint. Will the set in May have Delphox BREAK?

GinjaNinja72

Rawr. You're Scared.
Mega Gyarados is OK, he can deliver quite a bit of damage if you are willing to risk the top 2 cards of your deck. Gyarados-EX is fine, but he could be better. To be honest, I think that if someone tried to collect the card, it would be for the art, not for competitive play.

asdjklghty

-------------
I was saying each format has always had decks that could get OHKOs but not all decks focused on it. I would like to see less of these type decks because they are too easy. The issue here is card design and the need to one up what was made last. M Gyra is going to be used in Standard if someone wants to try it out and if in Expanded, if Keldeo affects sells of the newest set, it will be banned just on that alone.

I also remembered all the comments saying that M Groudon sucked yet its winning tournaments. Just sit back and wait for someone to win with the deck.
Aside from LCs, Primal Groudon hasn't been doing well. I dont like and I used to play it because it used to be my favourite deck.

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
Ancient Origins: Entei
BREAKThrough: Raikou
BREAKPoint: Suicune?

I hope so,
With this set featuring water types it sounds logical Suicune is in the set :)
Man, i want Suicune :p

Already stoked for other cards to be released
*Hopes for great arts as usual*

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Wow, this is interesting! We haven't seen a potentially highly playable Trainer-based Energy accelerator as far as I'm concerned. I guess Mega Turbo and Ether exist, but still, this is pretty neat. Ready the fine print limitations, this could be really effective in Big Basic decks. Unfortunately that is a double edged sword, as many disruptive decks will gain an asset. Hopefully this reveal leads to a promising set.

JRMFTW

Crazy Old Man
Why do they keep doing this? We now have now energy acceleration for basic Ex's. I wish they would have (excluding pokemon Ex) in the conditions to give non-ex cards a chance. Getting a stage 2 card out into play is going to be nearly impossible when this comes out.

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Powerful energy acceleration, that's what M-Gyarados EX needs to easily hit the big numbers! Mega Turbo/Max Elixir ftw!

Last edited:

Fokale

Aspiring Trainer
Awesome! This is like dark patch for any basic pokemon! If you run just 10 basic energy in your deck then odds are you will get an energy off of this, and having to attach it to the bench isn't that big of a deal. I definitely need a playset of this.

If the rest of the set is this good we are in for a treat!

R.I.P. Ether

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Think Max Exilir in a Xerneas XY8 Rainbow Hoopa Ex deck. Now all we need is a low retreat cost Grass and Lightning Pokémon Ex that can attack for colorless energies. The battle decks might include Leafeon Ex, Jolteon Ex and Vaporeon Ex. Lets hope they have low retreat cost and decent colorless attacks. Splash Malamar Ex and Charizard Ex for good measures and you have a real fast deck that can ohko Mega Pokémon. Lets see what else this set has in store for us.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
I could see this getting played in a swampert/Kyogre deck with Archies. I think it would make for a very interesting dynamic between those friends because of the enormous amount of energies the decks already cary. Though you might be able to run a Swampert/Yveltal/Archies deck and double down on the energy with quick knock outs.

MegaButterfree

Old Timer
I really like this card, and it fills the void left by Ether quite nicely. I do tend to agree with some of the comments about its basic-only caveat, though; I think if there was some kind of "basic but capable of stage 1 or 2 evolution" wording it might tone down its potential destructiveness...while not likely (given the odds), any non-mega EX could have all the energy it needs to use its max attack on its first turn with this card - which can, of course, be seen as good or bad.

Now let's think of all the moves/abilities that let you sort out the top of your deck!