Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Why would you not run this? The only reason I can think of for a card like this to exist is that they intend on (as mentioned) making things like this for BREAKs and Megas too. Personally, I think those two need a card like this way more than basics do as the biggest advantage of Pokemon-EX is they don't have to evolve.

which big basic EXs are currently destroying the standard metagame? i thought we had really switched into megas and stage 1/2 decks right now, and that things have rly changed since yveltal ex vs genesect ex days (genuine question), and a lot of the most influential exs right now i thought were support pokemon like shaymin ex or hoopa ex.

which big basic EXs are currently destroying the standard metagame? i thought we had really switched into megas and stage 1/2 decks right now, and that things have rly changed since yveltal ex vs genesect ex days (genuine question), and a lot of the most influential exs right now i thought were support pokemon like shaymin ex or hoopa ex.

Giratina and Seismitoad are perhaps the most notable ones, while Yveltal variants are lurking just under the radar, as well as multiple potential big basics that have been released but neglected.

...The only solution at this rate is for pokemon to limit the amount of ex's per deck.
No the only way is to get rid of mindless skilless autowin decks such as Vespiquen or Night March. Without them you'll actually have time to setup even if you're facing opponents running this card. All the EX decks that y'all hate are actually manageable. And many EX decks even in Expanded need 2 or more turns to setup.

Yeah! Gengar EX has a chance now against everything. This tool also could be a solution to Giratina by powering up Basic EXs. Primal Kyogre and Groudon and Seismitoad will now have 220 HP with this Tool attached! Toad's back in Standard boiz. This could be a counter to NM. HAha no more 160 damage T2

Giratina and Seismitoad are perhaps the most notable ones, while Yveltal variants are lurking just under the radar, as well as multiple potential big basics that have been released but neglected.

the only deck i saw that was top tier in the metagame discussion forum and entirely basics was the giratina deck (like you said), i feel like the evolutions have really regained their hold on the metagame and this wont push big basics over the edge in any way, especially when this card seems not even as game-changing as muscle band since its offensive strength is outclassed and defensive strength is unreliable, as with other + max hp items *shrug*

edit: night march could be another story, with their 30hp attackers being boosted to monstrously high 70hp, rivalling even wailord EX

I don't like this card because I don't like playing against toad ex. Now he get +40 HP and deals 40 damage with the locking ability.

We'll see what happens. At least its not more fighting support.

Another interesting card - for better or worse. I agree that startling megaphone might get an uptick in popularity again (by me at least). I hope Water Master is right and this is just part of the multi-side support we'll be seeing. Otherwise...it looks like the decks that are currently most popular will stay that way.

Looks like either way Manectric-EX will be peaking in popularity again due to Assault Laser, considering after BREAKPoint you'd be silly not to run any of this in a deck running mostly Basics (which seems like a large portion of decks).

First Max Elixer and now this card. I hope WPM is right about the set's theme and that we start seeing some BREAK support or even just support for Stage 1's and 2's, because this is ridiculous. EX Pokemon were the only group of the 3 that don't need blanket support like this.

Now this does help the Regi's though, particularly Regice and Regirock (AOR), they can use this basic support to target the very Pokemon this kind of support makes nearly broken. If only Sigilyph/Suicune was still in Standard. Also just thought of Hawlucha, a 110hp lucha bird running around dealing 90 with a strong energy and this tool is a pretty scary thing for EX's.

I can only think now that special water energy will also boost the hp for water pokemon by 10hp when attached, maybe even 20hp.

Anyone with me on this one?

I really hope we get more cards with attach to not an EX as a restriction, they're powerful enough.

The point I wish to address is the concept of future releases "balancing" this out. Does that make much sense?

We've done this dance time and again and what happens? One Stage gets overpowered, and instead of not printing anymore of what makes it overpowered and letting rotation level things out, we get support that is supposed to balance out the stuff that didn't have to exist in the first place.

Evolutions need better Pokémon from which to Evolve. We really need an option we don't have: losing gimmicks like Mega Evolutions and BREAK Evolutions, at least until we get everything else working properly. Well, "properly" is probably the wrong term because clearly the-powers-that-be like the direction the game has been taking... after all they have kept a pretty steady direction over the last several years and keep bringing back old mechanics. X_X

Back