XY Is it Worth Buying a 3DS System for Pokémon X & Y?

ahg3117

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, I have a bit of a dilemma. The only time I use my DS is for Pokemon games, although I enjoy playing them very much. The problem is the only model I have is the DS Lite, and I was wondering if it's worth spending the money on a 3DS if I'm only going to play the Pokemon games! Granted, I would likely sell back the Pokemon games after I complete it, but is the game that good where I should spend the money on both? It looks like it would cost me a little under $200, and I was just wondering if you guys think it's worth it. Thanks in advance

RE: Getting X and Y

ahg3117 said:
Hey guys, I have a bit of a dilemma. The only time I use my DS is for Pokemon games, although I enjoy playing them very much. The problem is the only model I have is the DS Lite, and I was wondering if it's worth spending the money on a 3DS if I'm only going to play the Pokemon games! Granted, I would likely sell back the Pokemon games after I complete it, but is the game that good where I should spend the money on both? It looks like it would cost me a little under $200, and I was just wondering if you guys think it's worth it. Thanks in advance

Well id say if you have the money, go for it, I would save for a 3ds if I didn't get it for Christmas, also, would you consider 2ds? it seems like a nice alternative to the 3ds and its cheaper.

I think the whole idea of a 2ds is *removed* just because I've had a normal one my entire life, not saying I wouldn't get it but it's definitely not preferred. The money definitely isn't a problem, but I think there are better things I could buy with it. What do you think I could sell my DS lite and my DSi for? I would probably put that money toward getting it.

And when I say I only use the DS to play Pokemon, I mean that entirely literally. I don't use any of the extra features on it. Once I would finish X/Y, it would be put away until the next game came out.

ahg3117 said:

What's the point of buying a Pokemon game (especially 2 with very minor differences in the story) only to sell them back to the store? The whole point of Pokemon is catch, breed, hunt as many rare Pokemon as possible and cherish them as your prized possessions.

I wouldn't recommend you dropping $200 on a 3DS and two Pokemon games if your intentions are to sell them back once you complete them.

Well, I'd get a 3DS XL, as it has better sound and bigger screens.
As for XY? If you like pink or are a collector, then I'd get it, if not, then just wait for Gen 7.

Why do you want to sell them back? Pokémon XY aren't quick platformers like Sonic.

To me there wouldn't be a difference between the normal and the XL, and I would likely get the normal one just to save some money. I wouldn't purchase both X and Y, just one or the other, and money isn't the most abundant thing to me so I would sell the games back so I wouldn't take as big of a hit off of getting both the game and system.

Especially because once I beat the game I would have no further use for it, so it would just be another thing laying around

Speaking from someone who has bought the many versions of the gameboy throughout the years in order to only play Pokemon, I'd say yes. But only if the money is available to you. I used to wait until sales or price markdowns before I'd buy them. Example, I bought the DS long after DS Lite came out. I'm really liking the 3DS. I bought the Pokemon Blue 3DS XL version when it came out thinking only of this Pokemon game. However, I'm even thinking of playing other non-Pokemon games (like Fire Emblem: Awakening when I get some extra cash).

If the only enjoyment you find in pokemon games is in the main story, then you shouldn't really bother with any more of them. However, the 3DS has A LOT of awesome games that I'm not going to list right now, so I'd get a 3DS anyway.

Well I also find enjoyment in the subplot as well as everything that happens after the main story ends.

I never understood why people sell their pokemon games.

If you're just going to sell them, dont bother. These ones apparently have a fail story and postgame [personally i liked the story :c], so if thats all you play these for, again, don't bother.

Buy a 3DS XL and buy other games. Seriously, if you have a 3DS and don't have Fire Emblem Awakening, you should see professional help.

It's not so much that I wouldn't play games other than Pokemon, its more so that it is my main motive for getting a 3DS. It is unlikely that I would play other games mostly because I have a very busy life between school, sports, and my social life.

Buy a 2DS and keep your copy of Pokémon. I don't get what people are complaining about, these are the best pokemon titles I've played yet. These games are probably the only reason to even own a 3DS at this point!

I faced the same dilemma as you a while ago. What I ended up doing was just buying a 3DS used on ebay. Saves a boatload of cash (I got mine for $75) and it's just as good as a new one. That's what I did, and it was a good decision for me. There are going to be other main series pokemon games for the 3DS, so even if you aren't hooked on XY, then at least you'll have a 3DS for (dare I say it?) RSE remakes, or potential Gen 7 games.

Same with others, i find it odd if you want to play Pokemon and then just sell it. I mean the main attraction of XY is not in the storyline play, it's the breed/trade/battle/shiny hunt that came after you beat the game. I never liked a competitive battle on previous gen, but this time, thanks to PSS, getting online is so much easier, and thus encourage me to play more post-game. I bet if you try the online feature of XY, you'll get addicted in no time. :)

Nevertheless, buy a 3DS or 2DS, whatever suits your wallet i think. Upcoming Pokemon games will be launched in this console so it's never hurt to get one earlier. Unless Nintendo planned to release another handheld console in near time, 3DS will last for another good 5 years at least, and that's good. :D

"not gonna buy 3DS not 3DS XL, coz cheaper"

then why not go the 50 bucks further down and get the 2DS instead? o__O
And then keep the game and you're still better off.

And yeah, I also only got my 3ds for pokemon.

I bought my 3DS solely for Pokémon, but I got a great deal on eBay (spent $130 including shipping and it came with 5 games, two of which were must-buys for me). I think it's absolutely worth it, but then again I plan on keeping the games and breeding, battling, etc.

If you're looking for a lot that happens post-game, you might be a little disappointed with XY. It's mostly just "catch this Pokémon" with a few Looker missions that'll be over before you really get a chance to get into them.

Whitefire said:
I never understood why people sell their pokemon games.

If you're just going to sell them, dont bother. These ones apparently have a fail story and postgame [personally i liked the story :c], so if thats all you play these for, again, don't bother.

I sell my old ones. As long as the Pokemon have been traded off, you have 90% of the game with you. Also, you have things like BW/B2W2... Personally, I just didn't see the point in keeping Black after transferring everything up.

Also having no job kind of changes your opinion on these things.

As for the main topic, I'd wait for Black Friday. Even if no stores have amazing sales it's likely that there will be people selling on Craigslist/eBay for good prices. If there's no prices you like then, wait 'til after Christmas. You'd be amazed by how many people sell their systems after getting them for Christmas...

If you do get one, some other games you may want to check out are Kid Icarus: Uprising, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Pilotwings Resort (Recommended since you can get it cheap now. Good fun for ~$5). All of them are relatively pick-up-and-play, but they can also be played for hours on end if you have the time and want to.

And yeah, as said above, Fire Emblem Awakening is amazing. But it's a bit harder to just pick up and play whenever, being a strategy game and all. If you get the system, download the demo and see what you think.

I wouldn't be too hard towards the 2DS. In fact, I've got a 2DS only for pokemon Y (i will get other games eventually). Never owned a DS before, nor a GB/GBC, only a GBA (when they launched the first DS so the price dropped in my country) After 7 years since i owned my first pokemon game (was ruby, the others i played before in friends GBCs/ DSs) i was decided to get this game and let me tell you, i don't regret my decision at all. I bought a 2DS because money was always an issue here (consoles in my country are expensive as hell) and i'm pretty satisfied with it. I can't stand 3D effect so long either because i have sight problems so the console was what i needed.

3DS have a good catalogue (could be better though) and there are upcomming games that will rock, but if you want the games only to sell them afterwards, i would suggest you don't buy the console at all. I still have my GBA and it looks like new, and i still play with it time to time. Nintendo's games are meant to be fun (pokemon in particular) Adventures that you can replay and still enjoy. If you are not going to feel that way towards the games/console and will sell some games as soon as you finish them, it's a money waste for you. Sorry for my english.

Back