IPOF's - General Discussion Thread | Current Topic: Artists and Audiences

RE: Fan Fakes - General Discussion Thread

Scorched Feathers said:
disappointed in you scrubs :v you've actually let text-based become popular.

Hey, I'm trying!

I just don't have an ounce of unused random access motivation (RAM) in my nervous system!

I've actually been debating trying to make fake cards myself. I really like the idea of playing around with blanks (especially some of the cool custom ones I've seen here and on dA and the like) and composing something nice. The biggest problem, really, is that I don't really know what makes an actual card good or interesting (I just appreciate the aesthetics), so I'd either be copying attacks and such or making up bullshit. I guess I could always just make a thread with my Pokémon and ideas and see if text fakers might want to contribute with the text for me to put into a card or something. :p

Athena said:
I've actually been debating trying to make fake cards myself. I really like the idea of playing around with blanks (especially some of the cool custom ones I've seen here and on dA and the like) and composing something nice. The biggest problem, really, is that I don't really know what makes an actual card good or interesting (I just appreciate the aesthetics), so I'd either be copying attacks and such or making up bullshit. I guess I could always just make a thread with my Pokémon and ideas and see if text fakers might want to contribute with the text for me to put into a card or something. :p

That's the spirit, Athena! If I ever were to stop judging, or take a break from it, I'd really like we could team up and leave PMJ in the street for a CAC! :D Of course if you want some text for casual cards, I can always do it, I really miss faking myself... :p I think I'll probably start a Thread of myself here soon.

Sadly, I'm going to have to be sitting out the next CaC. :( I'm leaving for a trip to visit my parents in the States throughout almost the entire month of August and will not have a scanner or my software while I'm gone, so I won't have the time to finish up a drawing unless IA takes pity on me and lets me know what the theme will be early enough for me to make my drawing before I leave.

Hmm, a small increase in image fakers followed shortly by a small increase in text fakers...

Coincidence? I think not!

So Team Flare cards are a-comin'. What does everyone think will be their 'thing'? Are we gonna get another Team Plasma run, or something more involved like the old Team Magma/Aqua or Team Rocket cards?
flare_Tool.png

I mocked up a quick Pokemon card based on that red colouring they have in that Tool card there. Do you think we'll see Team Flare Pokemon in Phantom Gate, or just a bunch of Trainer cards?
flare_test.png

Blanks by ShiningBill, holosheet by Karite-Kita-Neko (plus a red tint, hah), art by PKLucario, symbols by Metagross101
And yeah, I omitted that giant "FLARE" stamp. It seems like the "DUMMY" that typically goes on early set ads so I left it out. Would we get a giant stamp as seen in the ad, or an actual "Team Flare" somewhere on the card (like the old Team Plasma thing)? Predict away!

They will be exactly the same as Plasma, everything the same excl. the colour and symbol in the background.

I personally made Flare blanks a while back using the XY templates, and have em sitting in a master .PSD currently :)

Typical gamefreak.

Always adding original concepts for us to play with. [/s]

Well, the FLARE thingy does look as a watermark, though. And AMAZING CARD, bigfootaus! If Team Flare cards are actually that way, I wouldn't mind at all! :D

Your Very First Fake?

Where did it all start? What was your very first fake Pokémon? What did your first attempt at making a fake card look like? What did you use to make it? How long did it take? Looking back, do you think you did well? Or does looking back bring feelings of shame and regret? Every marathon begins with a single step. Tell us why you made that step, and how twisted your ankle looked after.

_________________________________________________________​

I myself grew up on Pokémon, and still have a binder somewhere filled with all sorts of Fakemon, most of which should never, ever see the light of day. A lot of my days as a kid were spent drawing horribly-drawn Pokéthings, monstrosities I would not dare inflict on your retinas. My first digital fakemon was this thing:
k1oDPoC.gif
63FFXOR.gif
n7hCjSc.gif

Its name is Catily, it's Ghost/Psychic and I think it was meant to be the ghost of a Mew or something. It had a few different forms (one of which was supposed to be ectoplasm, but I couldn't edit a Grimer sprite well enough). I can't say I'm particularly proud of it, but I guess it could've been much, much worse.

My first fake cards are around here somewhere as well, made with the very best program of all: paper and pencil. I remember them being filled with spelling mistakes (I'm not an English native, so I can use that as an excuse). My first digital fake card is sadly lost to time. It was of course made in MS paint, and it was of course Mew. If I remember correctly, it was made as a non-animated GIF because I figured this would make everything blend better. It of course didn't.

RE: Fan Fakes - General Discussion Thread | Current Topic: Your Very First Fake?

I used to draw Pokemon heaps as a little kid, but never ventured into making fake Pokemon...

My first fake card was part of a series of "ALPHA" cards - cards meant to be OP or otherwise stronger than the normal version of that Pokemon. The series was ridiculous:

The early cards never took more than an hour - most were done in 20-30 minutes. Looking back, I think the general idea behind the cards might be okay, but the cards themselves were awful.

I can tell you guys how I got in to the whole fake card thing though: University. Everyone plays Magic: The Gathering there. Some of those MtG players still have Pokemon cards as well, so I dug up some old cards of mine and made a deck. I tried researching online what the best deck I could make was, then ended up trying to make my own cards (I like doing custom things a lot). And now, here I am.

RE: Fan Fakes - General Discussion Thread | Current Topic: Your Very First Fake?

palkia__promo_holo__by_blui129-d5hna6m.jpg

Looking at this makes me cringe... But I've come a long way and am happy with what I've done. The first real jump I made in quality was with Salamence 4 EX (as text was finally Justified) and then I just grew from there to where I am now. Very worthy journey.

dusknoir_ex_by_blui129-d7usjep.png

My first fake card was probably handdrawn, and it looked pretty terrible. I have a rough idea of what is was in my mind, and trust me, you don't want to see :p

My first legit card here was probably either a CaC entry or a post in my fake thread (which I've sadly abandoned since I haven't really had time to work on it), forgot which.

My first fakemon was a stick/bonfire based fire pokemon and grass pinwheel.
My first fake card was a hand drawn Deoxys (includes all forms), Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza or an azurill-azumarill hand drawn. The looked pretty bad now :rolleyes:

My first fake card was rather recent, actually! :p

[G] James's Victreebel 110 HP
Team Rocket's Pokémon
Stage 1 - Evolves from James's Weepinbell

ukQwp4C.png

Ability: Constrict
As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, your opponent can't have more than 4 benched Pokémon. If your opponent has 5 Pokémon on his or her Bench, that player chooses 1 of them and returns it and all cards attached to it to his or her hand.

[G][G][C] Surprise Bite 70
Flip a coin. If heads, the opponent's Active Pokémon is now Poisoned. If tails, the opponent's Active Pokémon is now Confused.

Weakness: [R] Resistance: Retreat: [C][C]
This Pokémon has a habit of biting down on its owner whenever it is released from its Poké Ball. This is a sign of affection.

This is the first fake card I've ever made, so my apologies for any obvious beginner's mistakes. I "borrowed" most of the formatting from KoN's CaC entry because, well, I had to start somewhere.

Text for the Ability was modified from the 2 bench-reducing cards we've seen in the TCG (at least, the only two I was able to find) which were unfortunately rather old, so hopefully it still fits in the current game's wording. Text for the coin flipping was from XY-era.

Yes, it's marked as a Stage 1, not a Stage 2; that's on purpose. The card was envisioned as a special "owners" Pokémon and as such it would break regular evolution rules, similar to Pokémon SP (that's why it's marked "Team Rocket's Pokémon"). This evolution direction mimics James's canon Victreebel (caught as Weepinbell and then evolved).

My first fake Pokémon would have been another Shellos form that I made a spliced sprite for a few years ago. :D I've since lost the final product, but it was meant to be a tropical Shellos and it was orange, yellow, and green with floppy dreadlock-like appendages on its head (based off of Lileep's petals), I haven't made all too many fakemon, though. That and the one I made for Challenge 5 earlier this year are the only ones I can remember.

I have no clue as to what my first fake card really was, it was something on pokemoncardmaker.org. My first photoshop made fake is uh....

I don't know either, but this is the first one on deviantart:

(note: have an ambulance standing by)
http://nod3.deviantart.com/art/Cyber-Porygon-EX-154027373
Please dont read the comments or you will get a knock on the door from a very disagreeable fellow who will be more than happy to take you to a work camp

My first cards were lost in time; I did them years ago and they looked somewhat crappy. So I consider this one my first serious card.
Lilligant%2520delta.jpg
It was plagued with errors, as you can expect. I've gotten much better since I developed my blanks.

And my first fakemon was this darling:
squixie1.png

I'm normally quite a perfectionist, but I don't think I could improve much on squixie than how it is now. It's still as lovely as it was all those months ago.

Last edited:

My first fakemon I had ever created was a little pixie pokemon named Sakubi, and it would eventually evolve into a cherry blossom goblin called Sakublin. I recently remade it, making it a stone evolution pokemon instead of a starter. Now it's a Grass/Fairy little cherry blossom pixie called Chaerie (as in the non US spelling of fairy, faerie, as well as cherry) and evolves with a Dawn Stone into Blossylph.

My first Fakemon (that I can recall, anyway) looked like a mix between Poliwag and Kirby with a tuba-like instrument on its head. I think I made it during my first year of middle school, but I can't remember what I named it. It seems like it was a Water-type and could blow bubbles out of the instrument. Similar to how Kirby gets a hat whenever it absorbs an enemy, I later decided that this Fakemon could change its tail into that of another Pokémon and be able to use attacks of that type. I scrapped the idea over the years, though. It's kind of silly, but looking back, I do think it has some potential. I don't have any drawings of it from back then, but here's a quick doodle of what I recall:
1fakemon_zps05c791c2.png

First Fakemon Sprite(s)? These abominations. They were actually going to be starters for my fan game at one point. I actually kept "Pedgwyn" around for a long time, but I redesigned "Xyawhon" not too long after first posting him and scrapped "Syntour" altogether.
3newpkmngif.gif

As for my first fake card... well, that's been lost over the years. I can't even remember what it was. I know I used to play around with making Pokémon cards of InuYasha characters and flipping the template backward. At some point, I started making really plain-looking cards in PowerPoint, not using any actual TCG resources. Here's the earliest one I can find in my Photobucket:
328400a1.jpg

The earliest card that I used an actual blank for that I can find is this Special Energy. Next to it is the first actual Pokémon I can find. Such blurry/choppy text! Yuck! And what on earth did I do to that poor Psychic template!?
SacredPhoenixEnergy.jpg
wth_temppsymew.jpg

Now let's compare these to some of my newer creations...

Fakemon:
fairicity_redesign_by_karite_kita_neko-d5hxk8d.png

Fakemon Sprite:
liftbelle_sprite_by_karite_kita_neko-d4er4bt.png

Fake Card:
my_neighbor_snorlax___fake_card_by_karite_kita_neko-d7x24sp.png

Do I think I've improved? Ohhh yeah.

Hm, my very first Fakemon was probably Rogon.

OGnz5I5.jpg

When I first made him, I didnt know the first thing about creating a Pokemon. I had no art, no stats, no anything. Now he is a prominant part of the ever expanding Gildor Region. :)

Rogon is a fighting type ninja-based Pokemon. His ability is Iron Fist or Vital Spirit. He evolves into Rogastar or Rogetta when its happiness is maxed day or night. Rogastar (its day evolution) is psychic/fighting with the ability Justified or Inner Focus. Rogetta (its night evolution) is dark/fighting with the ability Dark Aura or Inner Focus.

Yep, I came a long way since first developing these Pokemon.

Back