Pokemon Interesting Pokémon Facts

This was true when you posted this fact, but a Weezing appeared in episode 881, which just aired earlier today in Japan. Although technically not episodes (more so movies than episodes), Weezing appeared in Destiny Deoxys, Giratina and the Sky Warrior, and Pokémon Origins.
Oh, I know! :D But did it really appear in the movies? I heard that before and I looked, but I didn't see it at all. Closest I could find was a Koffing in the intros to said movies. And yeah, there was Weezing in Origins (got way too little screentime IMO), I meant the main anime.

-Bandit Ring is the only Japanese set so far in the XY era that doesn't feature any major characters as Supporters (Ace Trainers and Hex Maniacs are NPC's)
-Lysandre's Trump card was NOT the first post-WOTC card to be banned. Tropical Beach was actually banned in Japan a while back.
-Even though Magmortar and Electivire are often considered counterpart Pokemon, there are more Magmortar cards than Electivire cards.
-In a previous post, I said that Illumise PRC was a misprint because the attacks were ordered incorrectly. Shedinja ROS makes this same mistake, so it seems like this is the new design choice for the XY era in attack ordering.
-There are a grand total of 4 different Vileplume cards that prevent use of Trainers: Dark Vileplume, Vileplume ex, Vileplume Undaunted and Vileplume Ancient Origins.

- In Black and White, there are unused 3D models for both Dialga and Palkia from the title screen of Diamond and Pearl. There are also logos for Pokemon Diamond and Pearl in the data, probably because Black and White were built on top of those games.

- On page 41 of the instruction booklet of Colosseum is a sentence that mentions an attack called "SELF REVIVE". This attack does not exist in any Pokémon game.

- Colosseum contains character models based on Fire Red and Leaf Green, despite those games being released two months after Colosseum in Japan. The models can be seen in the game's multiplayer mode if a Fire Red or Leaf Green cartridge is registered.
1033.png

- On the back cover of the Australian version of Pokémon Diamond, it states: "...as you search for the Pokémon that rules space in Pokémon Diamond Version." This is an error, as the legendary Pokémon of Pokémon Diamond is Dialga, who has the power to control time. This mistake is not present on the box art of other regions.

- In the Sevii Islands is a large patch of grass with paths running through it called 'Pattern Bush'. The grass creates a pattern that resembles the circuit board of the original Red and Green games. Fittingly enough, the grass there only contains bug Pokemon, referencing all the "bugs" (as in glitches) found in the original games.

- At one stage in development, it was possible to name the player's mother in Gold and Silver.

- The clouds on Gold's title screen and the sea floor on Silver's title screen are just recolors of the same image.

- If you interact with your Snorlax in Mt. Silver in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, it will say; "SNORLAX is feeling very eager". This is due to Red in Mt. Silver also owning a Snorlax. Unique messages will also appear if you interact with Pikachu or Charizard.

- If Heart Gold or Soul Silver detects that it is being played on a flash cart or emulator, it will freeze at the beginning of a battle with the player's Pokéballs spinning constantly.

- There is a man in Pacifilog town who says "They say, here in Hoenn, there are places called Mirage spots. One does not simply walk into a Mirage spot. Not to mention that these places also appear and disappear mysteriously." This is a reference to the phrase "One does not simply walk into Mordor", a quote from Boromir in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

- A map can be found in one of the houses in Dewford Town that looks incredibly similar to a map featured on the Pokémon fansite "Serebii.net". The map is from the site's "Pokéarth" section, which shows the position of many regions from various Pokémon games, such as the Kanto and Sinnoh regions.
8EeKlz6.png

- If the player lacks the 50 PokéDollar fee to enter the Oceanic Museum while Team Aqua or Team Magma occupies it, they will be admitted for free, as the receptionist will mistake the player for a member of Team Aqua/Magma. This will no longer work after Team Aqua/Magma leaves the building, however.

- Even though it was never stated by Nintendo, some Amiibos are compatible with Pokémon Rumble U's NFC feature. The Amiibos in question each have a unique Pokémon it will read as.

- In the River course of Pokémon Snap, Shellder are shown to be capable of levitating, an ability that is not demonstrated by them in any other media.

- An NPC in X and Y questions the appearance of a Mega Pokémon, asking, "do you think all Mega Pokémon have spiky hair?" This is a reference to the Super Saiyan transformation in the Dragon Ball series.

- This may be the weirdest fact anyone has ever posted on this thread. In 2004, American company ValuSoft released a game for the PC titled "Pokémon Masters Arena". The game itself is nothing special, it's just a collection of Pokémon-themed minigames. What's really interesting is what's in the game's coding. Various leftover graphics and sound clips from previous children's games developed by the same company can be found in the game's files. These include: Blue's Clues: Blue Takes You To School, Care Bears: Let's Have a Ball! and Jonah: A Veggietales Game.
8789.jpg

Last edited:
*In HG/SS, Pokémon received as gifts from a Pokéwalker not registered to that game still count as yours in terms of OT and ID number. Meaning you could gift, for instance, a high-level Golbat from one of the later Pokéwalker courses to a game that hasn't even gotten to Violet City yet, and it'll obey without question.

*There was a period of time where a level 100 Arceus was distributed to B/W... through the Dream World. Since Entree Forest Pokémon count as catching wild Pokémon, that adds up to a potential level 100 with your Trainer ID as early as right after the first Gym.

*In Red and Blue, all of the attacks that were contained in the TMs Gym Leaders gave out could not be learned by leveling up at all. This changed in Yellow when Thunderbolt was added to Pikachu's level-up movepool.

*Flygon was supposedly meant to Mega Evolve, but didn't receive a Mega Evolution due to lack of good design ideas.

*Despite Weezing's decidedly asymmetrical appearance, its sprites still get flipped in any instance where one's sprite is to be flipped (such as contests), even though most other asymmetrical Pokémon, like the Budew line, wouldn't get their sprites flipped in the same situation. Weezing's ability to inflate and deflate its heads might explain this away, except this doesn't explain how the oval on the smaller head switches places with the larger head's skull and crossbones.

*Audino and Diancie are the only Pokémon from their respective generations to Mega Evolve. Coincidentally, both of their Mega Evolutions are Fairy-types.

*In the anime, assuming the animators did not take any liberties with the sizes, Jessie's Pumpkaboo is Super Size- it is consistently shown to be twice as large as James's Inkay, which fits with the heights of Inkay and Super Size Pumpkaboo- any other Pumpkaboo size is much closer to Inkay's height.

*The Park Ball from Pal Park is programmed into Generation VI's games, but is not actually usable in battle.

*Despite having higher Attack than Special Attack, Weezing has never had any physical Poison-type moves since before the physical/special split. It can't even learn Gunk Shot, despite the move fitting it beautifully.

*Koffing and Gastly could know Sludge Wave as a special move from the Dream World, and the Shiny event Gengar knows it as well, but the Koffing and Gastly lines cannot learn Sludge Wave from the TM. For some strange reason.

*The very first instance of a Pokémon in the anime using a move it doesn't actually get dates back to the second episode, where Samurai's Pinsir used Tackle. As time passed, these instances became less and less excusable, culminating in some of the latest mistakes, such as Gulpin with Water Gun and Slurpuff with Electro Ball.

*In the anime, even if they've been seen using it in their previous stage, no Butterfree, Beedrill, Beautifly, or Dustox has ever been seen using Harden.

*Despite its frequent appearances in Kanto, the Orange Islands, and Johto, Ash has never scanned a Weezing or an Arbok with his Pokédex. It also took him until Hoenn to scan Meowth, and even then, he believed that he was looking up a Kirlia which turned out to be Meowth in disguise.

*Despite the general stupidity of the games' average AI, any Trainer going back as early as Ruby and Sapphire will switch their Pokémon if they are facing a Shedinja and their current Pokémon can't do anything to it, but they have something else that can.

*Dedenne is the only Pikaclone whose Hidden Ability doesn't grant it immunity to Electric attacks.

*Reflect Type's effect is the same as Conversion had in Generation I.

*Psybeam, Psychic, and Hyper Beam currently have the same sound effects they had in Generation I (I sure wish they'd do that with Rock Slide as well).

*Despite the move seeing frequent use, Hidden Power's unique aspect of being a different type for each user has never been touched upon in the anime.

*Despite their evolutions not being introduced until Generation IV, Lickitung and Piloswine were able to fulfill the necessary conditions to evolve as early as Generation II (learning Rollout and Ancient Power, respectively). Despite this, Eevee evolving into Leafeon was made to depend on leveling up near a Moss Rock, instead of going for the obvious Leaf Stone.

*Lapras was only able to learn Solar Beam in Generation I.

*In Colosseum, Shadow Pokémon could be encountered Shiny, but were likely to become non-Shiny when Snagged, due to the game recalculating everything about them once they were caught. Conversely, non-Shiny Shadow Pokémon could turn Shiny once snagged. In XD, the issue was avoided by Shiny-locking all Shadow Pokémon. Poké Spot wild Pokémon, however, can still be Shiny (though I've yet to find a Shiny in Orre myself...).

*In Generation IV, if a wild Shiny broke out of a thrown ball, it would sparkle again. This feature was absent in all other generations (which is a shame- it could prove extremely useful if you missed the sparkles and have found a Shiny with an almost unnoticeable color difference, like Seel).

*In XD's Mt. Battle, one of the Trainers would say something about using the same combination of Pokémon as someone else, just before sending out a Cacnea and Chimecho, which matches the team James had in the anime at that time.

*In HG/SS, Biker Reese uses an Arbok in addition to his Weezing during rematches.

*Despite both Pokémon and move (as well as the TM containing said move) existing from the very start, Psyduck was unable to learn Psychic from a TM until Generation IV- it could learn it in Generations II and III, but only as an Egg move.

Palutena was kind enough to share the first one with me, so I did a bit more looking:

Of the 14 Reshiram cards, 8 are reprints with different art. Of the remaining 6, there are 4 that are reprints with different art.
Of the 13 Zekrom cards, 7 are reprints with different art. Of the remaining 6, there are 4 that are reprints with different art.
Of the 26 Kyurem cards (including Ancient Origins), over half are EXs (17) and 8 are promos. Also, only the Kyurem from Dragon Vault, the Kyurem from Plasma Freeze and Kyurem-EX from Plasma Blast have not had 2 or more reprints.

No, you don't want to like this because that'll just encourage PCL to make more Kyurem-EXs.

Palutena was kind enough to share the first one with me, so I did a bit more looking:

Of the 14 Reshiram cards, 8 are reprints with different art. Of the remaining 6, there are 4 that are reprints with different art.
Of the 13 Zekrom cards, 7 are reprints with different art. Of the remaining 6, there are 4 that are reprints with different art.
Of the 26 Kyurem cards (including Ancient Origins), over half are EXs (17) and 8 are promos. Also, only the Kyurem from Dragon Vault, the Kyurem from Plasma Freeze and Kyurem-EX from Plasma Blast have not had 2 or more reprints.

No, you don't want to like this because that'll just encourage PCL to make more Kyurem-EXs.

Holy crap, TPCi love Kyurem. Nearly as much as Pikachu. Shame they won't print an EX worth a damn for it.

In any case, a fact:

Ken Sugimori has either designed or created the final design for every single Pokemon ever created, and some not even released yet.

While he works in a team of 17 Artists (as of Black and White, probably more), he still creates and draws the final official design for every Pokemon.

How about some Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire facts?

- Only seven Pokémon have had their catch rates changed. They are Kyogre and Groudon (changed from 5 to 3), Rayquaza (changed from 3 to 45), Dialga and Palkia (changed from 30 to 3), and Reshiram and Zekrom (from 45 to 3). Coincidentally, all of them had their catch rates changed in ORAS.

- Hoopa is the only Pokémon that has a different species name for each of its forms. Hoopa Confined is the "Mischevious Pokémon", and Hoopa Unbound is the "Djinn Pokémon".

- When Mega Evolving a Rayquaza, the game will state, "<player>'s fervent wish has reached Rayquaza!", instead of the normal message.

- How does Rayquaza Mega Evolve without a Mega Stone? It's simple. Inside Rayquaza's body lies an organ that contains the same power of a Mega Stone. A Devon Corporation scientist named this organ the "mikado organ". By consuming meteoroids as it flies through the stratosphere, the mikado organ will be filled with enough energy to enable Rayquaza's Mega Evolution.

OR/AS facts!

*Nature Power turns into Draco Meteor when used in space, into Energy Ball when used in Wally's room in Victory Road, and into Shadow Ball when used in Mt. Pyre.

*When receiving Lati@s on Southern Island during the main storyline, the game requires you to send one of your Pokémon to the PC, rather than let you send Lati@s to the PC instead.

*Winning Pokémon Contests will increase a Pokémon's Affection (the Pokémon-Amie heart stat).

*In the Aqua Hideout, there is a photo of Archie with Jirachi.

*The Weather Institute's Castform in OR/AS is set to always be female and have a Lax nature, but is able to be Shiny. Also, unlike the originals, the guy who gives it to you will not send it to your PC- you must have an empty space to receive it.

*There are fewer hidden Kecleon for the Devon Scope to unveil than there were in the originals.

*Unusually, on Route 110, Magnemite can only appear through DexNav or in a horde. Usually, this is only the case for Pokémon where their evolved forms can be found normally (IE: Zubat hordes in Seafloor Cavern, with only Golbat appearing normally).

*Route 129 no longer features extremely rare wild Wailord, like it did in the originals.

*Having to go into a menu function prior to encountering Spiritomb may be a subtle reference to the Mew Glitch in Generation I, considering it featured the Start menu popping up just before the desired Pokémon would appear.

*Chinchou is more common than Clamperl in the underwater routes. In the originals, it was the other way around.

*In Petalburg Woods, there is a hidden Balm Mushroom somewhat southwest from the north exit. It respawns on a regular basis.

*On Route 101, after you take three steps into the tall grass for the first time, you are guaranteed to encounter a level 3 Wurmple, not unlike the forced Pidgey encounter in X and Y. Why they do this is beyond me.

*On Route 114 in Alpha Sapphire, all Lotad hordes include one Swablu. The equivalent Seedot hordes in Omega Ruby lack this Swablu for reasons I cannot fathom.

*As of OR/AS, Premier Balls come free with the purchase of ten of any kind of ball, not just regular Poké Balls.

*If your Wailmer evolves while you're Surfing on it, the game will freeze.

Time to blow your minds
Salamance and Dunsparce are both 4'11"
Arcanine is the only 'Legendary Pokemon'
Doudo and Doudrio can learn fly
Wooper can learn Ice Punch despite having no hands
lol Skitty and Wailord can breed
Mew's trademark was applied before Pokémon or Mewtwo was

Mind = BLOWN... knew about Doduo/Dodrio but STILL

*If your Wailmer evolves while you're Surfing on it, the game will freeze.
See, this is why I use Tentacools! And Blastoise, And Greninja, and...

How about some smogon tier shenanigans!

- There are more Ice Types in PU than there are in every other tier combined. Technically, from a competitive standpoint, the Ice Type is the worst type.

- Mawile [Regular] and Quagsire are currently the only Pokémon who managed to go from NU to OU and back within 1 Generation.

- Serperior currently holds the record for fastest tier list climb. [It went from PU to OU in less than a month]

- Going by tiers, Meganium is the worst starter Pokémon.

Because I love birds so much, here's something I noticed;

Moltres and Venusaur are both 6'07" tall
Articuno and Charizard are both 5'07" tall
Zapdos and Blastoise are both 5'03" tall
Moltres and Pikachu both share 90 base speed
Both Nintendo and Game Freak (maybe the Pokemon Company) have issues telling the difference between Pidgeotto and Pidgeot. This may be because Pidgeot's name at the time was spelled "Pidgeott". This is also true in the Gen 1 strategy guide, where Pidgeotto's image was replaced with Pidgeot's, same with Pidgeot. A number of occasions in the english dub, Pidgeot was called Pidgeotto. Pidgeotto say Pidgeot in the anime for its voice.
PokeDex 3D is the first game where you see Zapdos standing
Both Articuno and Moltres share the same body types and animations in game.
Pidgeot, despite its name is actually not a Pigeon but a mix of a Eagle and Osprey, 2 birds that commonly hunt fish.
Fletchling oddly looks like a Hoopoe
The Lightning Bird, what Zapdos is based on, looks like a duck
Zapdos can hit Articuno, Moltres and Lugia for super effective damage
Moltres isn't a Phoenix
In Pokemon Origins, Articuno was taken down in one shot by Mewtwo, despite Mewtwo actually being able to do this
Zapdos isn't aerodynamic
Moltres has been in every smash game
Zapdos is in the Prism Tower of Smash 3DS in the background. Zapdos has no animations and just floats by, despite being a 3d model. Its pretty creepy to look at. Seems to be rare to show up
In Pokemon Snap, Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres are hatched from eggs. It must have suck to lay those eggs...
Articuno was the only legendary bird to get a full art EX card
The legendary trio for R/B/Y was originally Articuno, Zapdos and Arcanine, but was changed to be another bird.
Braviary's Japanese name is Warrgle. This is funny because merica loves war and have the Bald Eagle as the national bird. Its also a male only species, making fun of america's overly male dominance in power.

Im sure there's other stuff out there I cant think of.

During Generation 2, a Shiny Pokemon's Hidden Power would always either be Grass or Dragon, due to the IV spread required for a Pokemon to be Shiny.
Prior to the physical/special split, Hidden Power and Weather Ball were the only moves that could be either physical or special, depending on the type it took.

Because I love birds so much, here's something I noticed;

Moltres and Venusaur are both 6'07" tall
Articuno and Charizard are both 5'07" tall
Zapdos and Blastoise are both 5'03" tall
Moltres and Pikachu both share 90 base speed
Both Nintendo and Game Freak (maybe the Pokemon Company) have issues telling the difference between Pidgeotto and Pidgeot. This may be because Pidgeot's name at the time was spelled "Pidgeott". This is also true in the Gen 1 strategy guide, where Pidgeotto's image was replaced with Pidgeot's, same with Pidgeot. A number of occasions in the english dub, Pidgeot was called Pidgeotto. Pidgeotto say Pidgeot in the anime for its voice.
PokeDex 3D is the first game where you see Zapdos standing
Both Articuno and Moltres share the same body types and animations in game.
Pidgeot, despite its name is actually not a Pigeon but a mix of a Eagle and Osprey, 2 birds that commonly hunt fish.
Fletchling oddly looks like a Hoopoe
The Lightning Bird, what Zapdos is based on, looks like a duck
Zapdos can hit Articuno, Moltres and Lugia for super effective damage
Moltres isn't a Phoenix
In Pokemon Origins, Articuno was taken down in one shot by Mewtwo, despite Mewtwo actually being able to do this
Zapdos isn't aerodynamic
Moltres has been in every smash game
Zapdos is in the Prism Tower of Smash 3DS in the background. Zapdos has no animations and just floats by, despite being a 3d model. Its pretty creepy to look at. Seems to be rare to show up
In Pokemon Snap, Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres are hatched from eggs. It must have suck to lay those eggs...
Articuno was the only legendary bird to get a full art EX card
The legendary trio for R/B/Y was originally Articuno, Zapdos and Arcanine, but was changed to be another bird.
Braviary's Japanese name is Warrgle. This is funny because merica loves war and have the Bald Eagle as the national bird. Its also a male only species, making fun of america's overly male dominance in power.

Im sure there's other stuff out there I cant think of.

Zapdos' shiny colouring in 6th gen, looks like its regular colouring in the 5th gen games
Zapdos and Jolteon almost share a name in Japan
The Thunderbird is actually based on an Eagle
Zapdos was actually first seen standing in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red and Blue Rescue Teams
47911.png

Pidgeotto had two main animations in Pokémon XD: one was its main flying in-battle flying animation, and the other was its Purify Chamber standing animation

Zapdos' shiny colouring in 6th gen, looks like its regular colouring in the 5th gen games
Zapdos and Jolteon almost share a name in Japan
The Thunderbird is actually based on an Eagle
Zapdos was actually first seen standing in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red and Blue Rescue Teams
47911.png

Pidgeotto had two main animations in Pokémon XD: one was its main flying in-battle flying animation, and the other was its Purify Chamber standing animation

I completely forgot about Rescue Team. Thanks for that.

Gardevoir SW, Blastoise BCR, and Darkrai EX are currently the only 3 cards to be featured as the main point of a worlds deck more than once.

Despite Gates to Infinity appearing to feature Unovan Pokemon, there was no possible way to befriend Durant. :(

In HG/SS you were able to fight Jasmine before Chuck.
If you look at Snorlax's main game battle poses staring from R/B/Y it shows it trying to get up, failing, and then successfully standing in X/Y.

Unown facts you might have known but I'm listing just in case:
  • The Unown Radio Signal in G/S/C and HG/SS was actually many corrupted fragments of Ho-Oh's cry.
  • Unown are not limited to English letters. There are a few shown on Professor Oak's computer that resemble Greek, Cryllic, and more.
    300px-Composite_Unreleased_Unown.png
  • Unown is the only Generation II Pokémon that has not been featured in a Ranger series game.
  • Due to Unown's letter and Shiny status both being determined by IVs in Generation II, Shiny Unown was always either an I or V in Generation II. (Ironically, the IV-determined Shiny letters were IV. Wow.)
  • Unown has the highest number of unique Trading cards of any Pokemon, coming in at 87 unique cards.
  • The PokeGear's map description of the Ruins of Alph simply states, "A place where you can find a former adventure." Does this refer to the arcaeologists' adventure, or...does it mean something that was once an adventure, now turned a disaster?
  • Solving puzzles in Crystal's Ruins of Alph can sometimes reveal a message that states, "Our clan created Pokemon statue outside." However, there is no Pokemon statue outside. There are many underground in the Ruins, but none with access to the sky.
  • The Ruins of Alph stretch into part of Union Cave.
  • The Unown really must like Ho-Oh. If the player has Ho-Oh in their party when they reach the Ruins' part of Union Cave, a message will appear that states, "We humans must learn to walk in harmony with them. We depart for their sakes." But how does this relate to Ho-Oh?
  • The Ruins of Alph only appeared in one episode of the anime, called Fossil Fools. There was not a single Unown even mentioned in the entire episode.

Last edited:
Back