Pokemon Illogical Pokémon Evolutions

^It's called being interesting. An all-lazy line, or one that went straight to just lazy or straight to just energetic is predictable and common.

A lot of posts in this thread are basically "I don't have an eye for creativity."

People I know complain about Pokémon designs, especially evolution ideas, being bad before even thinking twice about it.

Obviously, the most common one is Remoraid to Octillery.
A gun evolves into a cannon, and that being on the theme of water animals.
An Archer fish (known to shoot water at preys) evolving into an ink-blasting cannon-mouthed octopus.
The species may differ, but that there is one of the best evolution designs Game Freak has ever come by.

To me, however, the idea of Flaaffy evolving into Ampharos and losing its wool baffled me. I still haven't found a logical explanation as to why that happens, as the electric wool idea was simply epic.

However, seeing that wool/ hair/ awesome hairdo on Mega Ampharos has redeemed my taste in Ampharos. Amphabulous, alright. ;)

what I wonder is how dewott that looks like well oshowott and is bipedal evolves into a large quadpedal samurai otter dog like thing... WITH A MUSTACHE!!!!!

I Like Pie said:
To me, however, the idea of Flaaffy evolving into Ampharos and losing its wool baffled me. I still haven't found a logical explanation as to why that happens, as the electric wool idea was simply epic.

I remember hearing somewhere that it was the electricity burning off the wool.
Mareep doesn't have the electrical powers to burn any of its wool off
Flaaffy has gained electrical powers through evolution, burning some of its wool off in the process
Ampharos gains so much electrical powers through evolution, it completely burns all the wool off of its body

Altho I would've loved to see Ampharos with some really electrically-charged wool on its body, I'm not complaining

Blob55 said:
Drohn said:
Actually, Meowth are generally also quadruped. Only in the anime do we see a couple bipedal ones. In one episode we saw how much effort it took for the Meowth of Team Rocket to become bipedal.

I never got Bellossom and Politoad. They don't look like the pre-evolutions. Generally I like split evolutions, but why should one be really similar to the previous forms and one differ so much? I would like it if both split evolutions (although differ from each other) would still have some characteristics from the previous forms.

Meowth is only a quadruped in the Animé.

Bellossom is just an Oddish turned upside down and turned Green.

In the games, only Meowth's Pkdex images show it being bipedal because in the overworld all Meowth are shown quadruped (Mary's and that Celadon old woman's ).

98Greener said:
Okay, this particular Pokemon just makes my head hurt.

Slakoth -> Vigoroth -> Slaking

Lazy, ALL HYPER, and lazy again.
Vigoroth even gets a new coat and everything. It doesn't even look that similar to Slakoth. And what's the point of being lazy again?
Wouldn't it make more sense if Vigoroth was it's own Pokemon, and Slakoth would just evolve unto Slaking? Is there some story behind this guy?
Also, Slaking is begging to be painted like one of your french girls.

I don't know if that example fits into illogical evolutions. I remembered reading here a thread about pre-evos that look better than their evos and in both cases it might be that they were made by different artists. Look at Grovyle: from out of nowhere it grows a "ponytail" that will somewhat disappear with evolution and its hands and fingers toes are always two when Treecko's and Sceptile's are three, and even the arm's leaves are three (Sceptile only has two). The only thing that matches is that Grovyle now has two tail leafs instead of Treecko's two tails and their belly pattern is alike (and this is what doesn't match with Sceptile).
About Slaking, maybe Slakoth is the solution they've came up with to make the whole line interesting.

professorlight said:
I think GF always makes a lot of sense. If they didn't, we would be looking at 649 weird pokemon, instead of 10 or so. And they spend a lot of time designing every pokemon, too; yes, they do stupid shit every once in a while (seriously. elemental monkeys. what the f*** were you trying to pull there, gamefreak?), but if they didn't think it through, we would have like 1400 stupid shit pokemon (if they could even get as famous as they are now).

The elemental monkeys make sense since they have a backgound: the three wise monkeys.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys
That's why Pansear's sprite has it with a hand near its ear (hear no evil), Panpour has closed eyes (see no evil) and Pansage is like it's saying something (speak no evil). This was the background that GF found to have a gimmick Pokémon that represents triple battles (like Plusle and Minun represent double battles in Hoenn).

______"______

I don't tend to question GF ideas when evolving a Pokémon, at least in these cases where the "shapes" are different, like Carvanha evolving into Sharpedo (a piranha turning into a shark but both being ill famed animals) and Bronzor into Bronzong (a mirror into a bell all made of bronze). Up until now I didn't knew the concepts behind Remoraid and Octillery but I still didn't question that change. I think it's worse having something like an ideia that looks cool and then it's somewhat ruined like Murkrow...I was hoping that its evolution would be a bigger Witch-crow and instead we get a Mafia themed bird and Mismagius gets the witch motif!?

P.DelSlayer said:
I Like Pie said:

I remember hearing somewhere that it was the electricity burning off the wool.
Mareep doesn't have the electrical powers to burn any of its wool off
Flaaffy has gained electrical powers through evolution, burning some of its wool off in the process
Ampharos gains so much electrical powers through evolution, it completely burns all the wool off of its body

Altho I would've loved to see Ampharos with some really electrically-charged wool on its body, I'm not complaining
I love learning new things! :) That makes so much sense. I am no longer considering that line weird anymore haha.

Leaf_Ranger said:
professorlight said:
I think GF always makes a lot of sense. If they didn't, we would be looking at 649 weird pokemon, instead of 10 or so. And they spend a lot of time designing every pokemon, too; yes, they do stupid shit every once in a while (seriously. elemental monkeys. what the f*** were you trying to pull there, gamefreak?), but if they didn't think it through, we would have like 1400 stupid shit pokemon (if they could even get as famous as they are now).

The elemental monkeys make sense since they have a backgound: the three wise monkeys.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys
That's why Pansear's sprite has it with a hand near its ear (hear no evil), Panpour has closed eyes (see no evil) and Pansage is like it's saying something (speak no evil). This was the background that GF found to have a gimmick Pokémon that represents triple battles (like Plusle and Minun represent double battles in Hoenn).

I know about the three wise monkeys, and its use is purely symbolic (meaning it doesn't influence their design, just their sugimori artwork poses).
I still don't like them, they could have used a trio like jynx, magmar and electabuzz, or the starters (like a plasma triple battle with cheren and bianca), but not make three evolvable pokemon with mostly non-stab moves, even when there are infinitely better alternatives to them in the game.
Compare the six pokedex slots they used in those three special person (damn PC, I'm not insulting anybody here! and they are!) monkeys and their person evolutions with the two slots they gave to the gimmicky plusle and minun. That's my problem, we could have had three more possibly good pokemon instead of simisage, simisear and simipour.

Blob55 said:
I don't really get how Meowth, a biped ends up evolving into a Persion, a quadruped.
Also, I don't get why Purrloin is a quadruped in the main series games, is a biped in the Animé and PokéPark.

Meowth was originally a quadruped and I believe most as a species still are. They started to make his official art and sprites biped though in what I believe is in inspiration from Team Rockets Meowth... IMO, they really should have kept it as all Meowths are quadruped with the exception of TR's Meowth, as to not make it confusing. I also think Meowth looks so much cuter as a quadruped anyway.
Meowths_zpsf6b56c8d.png

Drohn said:
I never got Bellossom and Politoad. They don't look like the pre-evolutions. Generally I like split evolutions, but why should one be really similar to the previous forms and one differ so much? I would like it if both split evolutions (although differ from each other) would still have some characteristics from the previous forms.

Politoads makes perfect sense, as it goes from a tadpole and then (finally) to a frog. Personally I think thats how it should have been from the start and just trash the idea of a tadpole just going into a bigger tadpole entirely. Politoad also does share some traits, like the swirlys. I don't blame Politoad, I blame the other two evos for hardly having any difference.

As for Bellossom, she was originally the same color as Oddish and the rest. Her bluish color was removed later on because they were basically afraid of it being too racist or something again, much like Jynx.
images

As for my own illogical evolution, I think Oshawott to Samurott makes no sense to me. The only similarity they have period is the fact that they're themed around seashells. Dewott makes sense, but I feel that Samurott was just too much of a jump.

As for my own illogical evolution, I think Oshawott to Samurott makes no sense to me. The only similarity they have period is the fact that they're themed around seashells. Dewott makes sense, but I feel that Samurott was just too much of a jump.

I think Sugimori himself said something about him going to an aquarium and getting the idea of a majestic sea lion for a Pokemon.
Just add seashells as armor.
Easy!

I think the Trapinch line is pretty illogical. They tried to combine too many things into one evolutionary line. A sand trapper thing becomes a bug, which becomes a flying dragon. ???

98Greener said:
I think Sugimori himself said something about him going to an aquarium and getting the idea of a majestic sea lion for a Pokemon.
Just add seashells as armor.
Easy!
Its fine and neat to have a sea lion Pokemon - and Im not trying to say I dislike Samurott or anything - but the way he went about the evolution process was just a little weird and abrupt to me. I actually like Samurotts design, but I think that if they made a couple of changes (remove the seashells) he could have been the end result to a different evolution chain and give Oshawott and Dewott something more fitting.

.maiden said:
I think the Trapinch line is pretty illogical. They tried to combine too many things into one evolutionary line. A sand trapper thing becomes a bug, which becomes a flying dragon. ???
Trapinch is an antlion that goes through a metamorphasis so it is explained. I believe they had the Trapinch discussion earlier.
250px-Antlion_life_cycle.svg.png

I believe they also go into a nymph stage (Vibrava) but it isnt displayed in this cycle.
So really, Trapinch is no more different than Caterpie > Butterfree. Completely different looking things, yet they connect and make sense.

Zielo said:
.maiden said:
Trapinch is an antlion that goes through a metamorphasis so it is explained. I believe they had the Trapinch discussion earlier.
250px-Antlion_life_cycle.svg.png

I believe they also go into a nymph stage (Vibrava) but it isnt displayed in this cycle.

A thousand times in a thousand places, let's not go there, pleaaaase.

Personally I think thats how it should have been from the start and just trash the idea of a tadpole just going into a bigger tadpole entirely.

Poliwhirl and Poliwrath are both just frogs. They have arms and no tail. There is no "bigger tadpole" evolution.

Bogleech said:
Personally I think thats how it should have been from the start and just trash the idea of a tadpole just going into a bigger tadpole entirely.

Poliwhirl and Poliwrath are both just frogs. They have arms and no tail. There is no "bigger tadpole" evolution.

Aren't they called the tadpole pokemon? Besides I am pretty sure on another thread they brought up not all tadpoles turn into frogs.

They still have the swirly "intestine" belly and the general body shape and color of a tadpole (or at least Poliwag.)
Besides, Poliwag has legs too. If you want, you could call Poliwhirl and Poliwrath "teenage" frogs... but they still have tadpole traits as well. They aren't really froggy enough to be real frogs to me.

A tadpole is defined first and foremost by its tail. Not only does Poliwhirl drop the tail for forelimbs, but it has protruding eyeballs and a wide mouth. They are clearly stylized frogs, the pokedex name is just for fun and the swirled intestines are there because they're cool :p

And almost all frog pokemon are blue-grey anyhow. Politoed for some reason is the only green frog in the pokemon world...

Bogleech said:
A tadpole is defined first and foremost by its tail. Not only does Poliwhirl drop the tail for forelimbs, but it has protruding eyeballs and a wide mouth. They are clearly stylized frogs, the pokedex name is just for fun and the swirled intestines are there because they're cool :p

And almost all frog pokemon are blue-grey anyhow. Politoed for some reason is the only green frog in the pokemon world...

... Wait, poliwhirl has a MOUTH? where?

Bogleech said:

Poliwrath is thought to be based on the concept of amphibian neoteny, which is when an amphibian does not leave its infant stage (the case of many amphibians).

That's only a claim made by Bulbapedia, which is silly fan speculation. There isn't anything "neotenous" you can deduce about the Poliwrath line at all. They undergo a complete metamorphosis, only retaining the spiral intestine because it's the theme of the line. Just because the pokedex says "tadpole" doesn't mean they're still tadpoles. Pokedex "species" titles are just for fun and most often figurative, like Shuckle being a "mold" pokemon and Cradily being a "barnacle" pokemon. Remaining round and dark blue certainly has nothing to do with neoteny either; many frogs and toads are the same color their whole life.

The two evolved forms are assumed to have mouths at the top of their white bellies. They spray water and such from that area. In any case, they lose the sucker-like lips unique to the tadpole stage along with the tail.

Unless you worked for GameFreak in the first Generation of the Pokémon franchise, your "theory" is also speculation so there's really no need to call other people's thoughts silly, in my opinion...

[private]Allowing this one since it's much more toned-down.
~Frezgle[/private]

Back