Pokemon Ice Types - Weaker Than Ever

But Fairy is weak to Steel, which will make them be used more, which will increase more Fire and Fighting types, which means Ice won't get more use.

On the other hand, Fairy is also weak to Poison, which will mean more Ground types.

Poison was already awesome defensively, just their STAB moves no good, so...

Eh it comes down to what pokemon are added and what old ones get new toys in the end.

But in general Ice is staying defensively useless no matter what.

Ohman177 said:
I think it would create balance and make logical sense if ice was:
Super effective against: Flying, Ground, Rock, Grass, and Dragon.
Reasons: You can't fly frozen, Weathering/Erosion, and Ice Age.
Not very effective against: Fighting, Steel, Water, and Fire.
Reasons: Fighting types are strong enough to fight through the cold, you can't affect Steel just by freezing it, ice melts in water and fire.
Resistant to: Ground, Rock, Water, and Ice.
Reasons: Weathering/Erosion, ice freezes water, ice doesn't effect ice.
Weak to: Fighting, Steel, and Fire.
Reasons: Fighting types are strong enough to break ice, same with Steel, fire melts ice.

Personally, I wouldn't make Ice resistant to Rock (Rock smashes Ice, so it's a weakness). Instead I'd make it resistant to Dragon (cold weakens Dragons) and maybe Bug-types (cold weakens Bugs too, I think).

I'd also get rid of Steel and Fire's resistance to Ice, since cold weakens metal and Fire turns Ice into Water, which then extinguishes Fire, which strikes me as a neutral effect--plus, hitting Steel and Fire for neutral would let Ice hit several defensively strong opponents like Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Reshiram for Super Effective damage.

I wouldn't make Fighting resistant to Ice either, since even a strong body can be weakened by cold, and Fighting is already a big enough threat to Ice without resisting it.

So, offensively I'd make it...
Super Effective against: Flying, Ground, Grass, Dragon (and maybe Rock and Bug).
Ineffective against: Water, Ice

And defensively I'd make it...
Resistant to: Ground, Water, Ice, Dragon (and maybe Bug).
Weak against: Fire, Rock, Steel, Fighting

Giving Ice-types a defensive boost in Hail, just as Rock-types get in a Sandstorm, would be useful too, as would making Hail a more viable weather condition by making other types immune to it... though I can't really think of which ones could be immune to Hail.

Making their one status immunity Frozen more common would be nice too, giving them a better defensive niche; I mean, how is being Frozen any worse than being put to Sleep? And yet we got moves like Spore that basically guarantee a Sleep status.

Im not a huge fan of Ice types in general, but since we now know that the updated type chart isnt any kinder to Ice than the previous one- Ice types should get a "Solid Rock" or "Thick Fat" type of ability to negate some of the inherent weaknesses that really hinder them.

J.D. said:
Ohman177 said:
I think it would create balance and make logical sense if ice was:
Super effective against: Flying, Ground, Rock, Grass, and Dragon.
Reasons: You can't fly frozen, Weathering/Erosion, and Ice Age.
Not very effective against: Fighting, Steel, Water, and Fire.
Reasons: Fighting types are strong enough to fight through the cold, you can't affect Steel just by freezing it, ice melts in water and fire.
Resistant to: Ground, Rock, Water, and Ice.
Reasons: Weathering/Erosion, ice freezes water, ice doesn't effect ice.
Weak to: Fighting, Steel, and Fire.
Reasons: Fighting types are strong enough to break ice, same with Steel, fire melts ice.

Personally, I wouldn't make Ice resistant to Rock (Rock smashes Ice, so it's a weakness). Instead I'd make it resistant to Dragon (cold weakens Dragons) and maybe Bug-types (cold weakens Bugs too, I think).

I'd also get rid of Steel and Fire's resistance to Ice, since cold weakens metal and Fire turns Ice into Water, which then extinguishes Fire, which strikes me as a neutral effect--plus, hitting Steel and Fire for neutral would let Ice hit several defensively strong opponents like Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Reshiram for Super Effective damage.

I wouldn't make Fighting resistant to Ice either, since even a strong body can be weakened by cold, and Fighting is already a big enough threat to Ice without resisting it.

So, offensively I'd make it...
Super Effective against: Flying, Ground, Grass, Dragon (and maybe Rock and Bug).
Ineffective against: Water, Ice

And defensively I'd make it...
Resistant to: Ground, Water, Ice, Dragon (and maybe Bug).
Weak against: Fire, Rock, Steel, Fighting

Giving Ice-types a defensive boost in Hail, just as Rock-types get in a Sandstorm, would be useful too, as would making Hail a more viable weather condition by making other types immune to it... though I can't really think of which ones could be immune to Hail.

Making their one status immunity Frozen more common would be nice too, giving them a better defensive niche; I mean, how is being Frozen any worse than being put to Sleep? And yet we got moves like Spore that basically guarantee a Sleep status.

I guess you could take away the ice resistance of rock but it would definitely need to be super effective against rock and ground. Also, many bugs are able to survive being frozen over and thawed out.

I was really disappointed when I found out that Ice didn't get any improvements at all in the new type chart. At least 2 more resistances, maybe? But not even that. Ice-type is automatic 'bad' for any Pokémon. And now, Ice STAB is going to be a lot less useful as the main reason for using Ice STAb, Dragons, can now be defeated much easily by the new Fairy-type. I doubt even my beloved Mamoswine will stay OU in 6th Gen.

However, I am still hoping that Hail gets a much needed boost this generation. Maybe something like boosting Ice-type attacks as well as causing passive damage. Or Ice-type Swift Swim/ Solar Power. It's a shame that a lot of low tiered Ice-types have good stats yet come up short when compared to the usefulness of the other types.

I Like Pie said:
I was really disappointed when I found out that Ice didn't get any improvements at all in the new type chart. At least 2 more resistances, maybe? But not even that. Ice-type is automatic 'bad' for any Pokémon. And now, Ice STAB is going to be a lot less useful as the main reason for using Ice STAb, Dragons, can now be defeated much easily by the new Fairy-type. I doubt even my beloved Mamoswine will stay OU in 6th Gen.

However, I am still hoping that Hail gets a much needed boost this generation. Maybe something like boosting Ice-type attacks as well as causing passive damage. Or Ice-type Swift Swim/ Solar Power. It's a shame that a lot of low tiered Ice-types have good stats yet come up short when compared to the usefulness of the other types.

Well I'm hoping Fairy type will be Status based, so it has few attacks and are mostly technical supporters.

Here is hoping Freeze Dry is a TM like Scald to show off the nifty effect, but can be learnt only by actual Ice types.

It's a great weapon against those tough rain-guys that otherwise have barely any weakness, but are 4x weak to this now:
Water/Ground - Gastrodon, Swampert, Quagsire, Whiscash, Seismitoad
Water/Grass - Ludicolo
Water/Dragon - Kingdra
And also:
Water/Flying - Gyarados, Swanna, Mantine, Pelipper

All taking quadruple damage from Freeze Dry.

It's not much but at least something.
Unless Gaefreak goes stupid and makes it available to most Water types, Fairies and whatnot...

I was thinking of this earlier...i would think making ice types immune watter attacks, as well as being resistant bug and grass type attacks as well as dragon. . An ice move that would cause a burn would be quite good (ex. like one called freezer burn) or an ability that makes it so that each attacking move has the chance to freeze the foe for a bit. Also making it so some ice types can gain the ability water absorb would be handy too.

Ice being immune to Water attacks alone would do the job O:

And Water would fall down to Psychic and Ghost-level. Which is still better than Electric!
Electric is also resisted by 3 types, has no effect on 1, but is only strong against 2, while Water is against 3.

omg, you could throw a Mamoswine into a Scalding Speced Politoed and grin.

Amaura would like that a lot too.

What's worse, is more and more info keep on coming out that makes Ice types even worse off.
Even more annoying, is GF said they won't patch XY, because they think all Pokémon have a fair chance in the battlefield.

I agree...Ice-Type just doesn't have a chance anymore. I'm not a fan myself, but trust me, I feel your hatred for Fairies...

Dragon Pokémon said:
I agree...Ice-Type just doesn't have a chance anymore. I'm not a fan myself, but trust me, I feel your hatred for Fairies...

I don't HATE Fairy types, I just wish GF improved Ice types when they added the Fairies, and it also doesn't help they share a weakness.
It's like they forgot that more than just Dragons can hit SE damage against Dragons.

Well, maybe that one guy in GF who said they won't patch XY because the meta game is "perfect" will shut his big mouth and realize his mistake.

Blob55 said:
Dragon Pokémon said:

I don't HATE Fairy types, I just wish GF improved Ice types when they added the Fairies, and it also doesn't help they share a weakness.
It's like they forgot that more than just Dragons can hit SE damage against Dragons.

Well, maybe that one guy in GF who said they won't patch XY because the meta game is "perfect" will shut his big mouth and realize his mistake.

Recently, I heard he actually said that it might "hurt other types" so I think they already know it. They're just not doing anything about it :(

Dragon Pokémon said:
Blob55 said:

Recently, I heard he actually said that it might "hurt other types" so I think they already know it. They're just not doing anything about it :(

That's BS, because one small change, like resistance to Water probably won't even change the meta game that much.

Also, if they didn't want to hurt the meta game, why did they make Fairy the only type other than flying resistant/immune to everything it's SE against?

Blob55 said:
Dragon Pokémon said:

That's BS, because one small change, like resistance to Water probably won't even change the meta game that much.

Also, if they didn't want to hurt the meta game, why did they make Fairy the only type other than flying resistant/immune to everything it's SE against?

I think its just so people can like the new Fairy type. Gotta make it look good.

I really do feel sorry for Ice types because they seem to get all the cool designs. Mamoswine, Beartic, even Bergmite. Such a shame...

Blob55 said:
Dragon Pokémon said:

I'm pretty sure Dark is the same (immune to Psy, resistant to Ghost)
Poison is the same (resistant to Grass and Fairy)
Fire is also the same
Steel is also like this

thats like 5 other types other than Fairy that have that feature

Altho it would be so great if Ice was like that... Resistance to Grass, Dragon, Flying and Ground would be amazing, particularly the Ground+Dragon resistance

I always saw Ice as a "glass cannon" of sorts, but it never gets SPD boost unless inside the Room. Sneasel is and exception to the norm since it can attack faster before they kick its ass with Fighting/Fire/Metal/Rock/Bug, but that's it (and it is not a SATK but ATK, and can only learn 2 PHYS Ice moves).
It is implied that Ice is slow because "it slow things"...

So, unless Trick Roomed, you will not believe ever in their potential. Hope this new gen give us more variety for Ice types though (no I didn't watch spoilers beyond the megas and the starters' 3rd stages, thanks very much).

Crimson Masquerade said:
I always saw Ice as a "glass cannon" of sorts, but it never gets SPD boost unless inside the Room. Sneasel is and exception to the norm since it can attack faster before they kick its ass with Fighting/Fire/Metal/Rock/Bug, but that's it (and it is not a SATK but ATK, and can only learn 2 PHYS Ice moves).
It is implied that Ice is slow because "it slow things"...

So, unless Trick Roomed, you will not believe ever in their potential. Hope this new gen give us more variety for Ice types though (no I didn't watch spoilers beyond the megas and the starters' 3rd stages, thanks very much).

GF will probably nerf Trick room somehow, like they did all other other buffs Ice used to have the gen 5.

So, it's been a few months since XY came out and I'm wondering - Is Ice Type significantly more useless this generation?

Back