XY Huge scoop in CoroCoro in August!

Sky Pillar said:
xayshade said:
I mean back in gen 3, yea blaziken was pretty useless since it was slow as molasses and weak as baby booty, but since adding speedboost to it, there really isn't much stopping it. Beating blaziken means either eating it's hits (120 base attack laughs at you) or moving first and hitting it's weak defenses, and now that's almost impossible.

After it got speed boost, it really really didn't need anything else
Not necessarily, unaware quagsire can roll with blaziken's punches and trick room dusknoir/ dusclops can too. SB is a dream world ability, meaning a blaze blaziken might be able to become a mega one w/ sb. If that's the case, non-sb blazikens just became a lot more competively useful in their own tiers.

This is so, but SB Blaziken is still overpowered, especially since MegaBlaziken also has speed boost. This makes me think that Dream Pokémon evolve into Mega Pokémon. But you can teach Blaziken shadow claw right? I mean, quagsire can take the hit, but I don't know about dusknoir/clops

This is how I think it will go down.

You have to get a specific hold item for the Pokemon you want to "evolve", like the Blaziken Knight item Torchic will come with, and then you have to use the Mega Stone on that Pokemon in order to get it to evolve. Whether or not the hold item is consumable or not, I don't know. I guess it's really hard to say anything specific about them at this point.

xayshade said:
Sky Pillar said:
Not necessarily, unaware quagsire can roll with blaziken's punches and trick room dusknoir/ dusclops can too. SB is a dream world ability, meaning a blaze blaziken might be able to become a mega one w/ sb. If that's the case, non-sb blazikens just became a lot more competively useful in their own tiers.

This is so, but SB Blaziken is still overpowered, especially since MegaBlaziken also has speed boost. This makes me think that Dream Pokémon evolve into Mega Pokémon. But you can teach Blaziken shadow claw right? I mean, quagsire can take the hit, but I don't know about dusknoir/clops

Sc would only have 140 bp, dusk would wall it and survive to set up trick room plus a lot of sb blazikens don't have sc ( there typical move set is swords dance, protect, flare blitz, hi jump kick)

SOOOooo one thing I noticed is that these all for the most part look rather unnatural and not like something that could exist in an ecosystem. More like something just designed to look cool in battles.
And then I thought, what if they have something to do with Team Flare? They do have quite a lot of 'flare' to them, all the spikes and flowy bits (and Ampharos' hair lol). These could be genetic modifications done by the new team to make them both stronger and more extravagant.
But, y'know, that would actually make SENSE, and GF isn't always too keen on making sense. :B

CorinthiansRose said:

You have to get a specific hold item for the Pokemon you want to "evolve", like the Blaziken Knight item Torchic will come with, and then you have to use the Mega Stone on that Pokemon in order to get it to evolve. Whether or not the hold item is consumable or not, I don't know. I guess it's really hard to say anything specific about them at this point.

I am going to add to this. It would be really awesome, in my opinion, to only allow one megastone per party. Like in a battle, you can only have one of your pokemon evolve into a mega. This adds depth to the gameplay as you won't know which Pokémon has the megastone.

Maybe they will have a quest line for getting each individual Pokemon their Mega-item. Torchic comes with the Blazikenite/Blaziken Knight, but perhaps you have to talk to this new character, Koruni, to find out how to obtain the specific Mega item for each Pokemon. Also, they could involve the whole bonding-with-your-Pokemon mechanic. Maybe the Pokemon who likes you the most is the only one who can use the Mega item. I am not sure, but I believe GF would put limitations on how many/which Pokemon can use the Mega items and become a Mega-lution.

This honestly makes me not want to play X/Y nao.
I'm fine with Absol and Mawile, but why couldn't they have just made them evolutions with some new name?
Why did they have to put a "mega" in front of their original name?
This is Pokemon. Not Digimon.

KiKi said:
This honestly makes me not want to play X/Y nao.
I'm fine with Absol and Mawile, but why couldn't they have just made them evolutions with some new name?
Why did they have to put a "mega" in front of their original name?
This is Pokemon. Not Digimon.

No one is telling you to use them though.

But I am kind of sad that they don't get legit evos. But this is still cool too.

Frezgle said:
SOOOooo one thing I noticed is that these all for the most part look rather unnatural and not like something that could exist in an ecosystem. More like something just designed to look cool in battles.
And then I thought, what if they have something to do with Team Flare? They do have quite a lot of 'flare' to them, all the spikes and flowy bits (and Ampharos' hair lol). These could be genetic modifications done by the new team to make them both stronger and more extravagant.
But, y'know, that would actually make SENSE, and GF isn't always too keen on making sense. :B

And actually, the more I think about it, the more I think you are correct. I mean, wasn't this new Mewtwo form created in a laboratory as well? Perhaps these alterations are from Team Flare experimenting on making super Pokémon. Black and White introduced the whole Black/White Kyurem thing with that item (forgot its name). It would not be a an off-assumption that this game would deal with alterations as well. For instance, we were talking about that DNA logo being present in the Japanese logo for the game, maybe this is what its all about?

Mega evolutions could be genetic alterations that allow Pokémon to reach their full potential. Perhaps there are two ways of going about it. Team Flare wants to make bank and sell these super Pokémon, and this reminds me of Gold and Silver with the Red Gyarados thing, where they tried to hasten their evolutions. Well Flare may have found a faster, yet terrible way to access Pokémon potential and want to profit off of that, but are terrorizing Pokémon through experimentation, while Koruni shows you how to bond with your Pokémon so they can reach their true potential in a good way.

This could correlate to the ethics of modification and be central to the story line. What is the ethical way to develop, and why is it wrong to force something to change? Perhaps this is why Team Flare is bad. It reminds me of the first two generations of Pokémon because of their motive for money, but a little more serious because they could be modifying and torturing Pokémon to gain that money.

sohrin305 said:
CorinthiansRose said:

I am going to add to this. It would be really awesome, in my opinion, to only allow one megastone per party. Like in a battle, you can only have one of your pokemon evolve into a mega. This adds depth to the gameplay as you won't know which Pokémon has the megastone.

Maybe they will have a quest line for getting each individual Pokemon their Mega-item. Torchic comes with the Blazikenite/Blaziken Knight, but perhaps you have to talk to this new character, Koruni, to find out how to obtain the specific Mega item for each Pokemon. Also, they could involve the whole bonding-with-your-Pokemon mechanic. Maybe the Pokemon who likes you the most is the only one who can use the Mega item. I am not sure, but I believe GF would put limitations on how many/which Pokemon can use the Mega items and become a Mega-lution.

I hate being in this state of confusion. Your above ideas seem reasonable enough, but there are too many unanswered questions. Will all Pokémon be getting a mega evolution? Legendaries don't seem to be excluded from it if Awakened Mewtwo is a mega. If not, how will the game's plotline justify seemingly random Pokémon getting a mega evolution and not others. Is the evolution permanent? Is it an in-battle effect? Do stats and/or typing change too? Does the mega have to evolve from the final Pokémon in its evolutionary line, or the middle one (Blaziken to MegaBlaziken, or Combusken to MegaBlaziken)? Lastly, how will the games justify these mega evolutions suddenly being available now, but not earlier in the pokemon canon?

Given the fact that we have a MegaBlaziken, and there's going to be an online Torchic distribution, maybe the items needed to evolve will be restricted to event-only status?

Bogleech said:
If they are restricted to in battle I might as well not use them. IMO It just seems like to much work to go through to have them return to their lackluster form after the battle is over....

Why would that be permanent? I'm saying maybe when their HP gets low or something they automatically change into their mega forms after you've unlocked them with the mega stone or whatever.

But probably not.

I just can't believe "SCOOP OF THE CENTURY" turned out to be something ripped straight out of the most uncreative fakes.

Great. Our updates this month are nothing but old pokemon with stupid stuff glued onto them (angel wings on Absol? Seriously? That is DIRECTLY what bad fan artists do. That is SPARKLEDOG TIER) and another electric rodent that looks exactly like part of the pikachu line.

Personally I liked Absol's the best with the angel and demon wings, which adds a lot to its concept. Plus the rodent looks a lot like a hamster to me rather than a mouse so it doesn't bother me. But the rabbit though...ugh. Do we really need Buneary's rejected cousin -_-

I just dislike the eyes. I hope it becomes normal/ ground and is the regional normal type.

I'm starting to come to peace with the idea now, but I am not planning on using these new forms because I still do not like them. As long as Gamefreak doesn't shove these forms down our throats and force us to use these Mega Pokemon, I would be alright with the series and play and enjoy the series just the same.

Back