How Will You be Testing for Regionals?

I always thought it was better to use a rogue deck (only if you know it's going to work against 75% of the meta) at Regionals over Cities, because out of the 5 rounds you get in Cities, you really can't afford to do terrible in more than a couple matchups. Regionals have more rounds so there's a larger room for error (The few bad matchups your rogue deck might have) and you can go really far if you have a good meta call. Metagaming at Cities is a bit harder though.

As for the "how", 100% of my testing comes from Sunday afternoon at my League, and it's not always a productive day if there are few competitive players that show up that day. Testing against little kids (I know, I know, some Juniors are pretty good but not these ones) that have 1 Juniper and 4 Tierno as a draw engine really doesn't help find the flaws in my decks. However, that means I make sure I get as much information as I can from the good battles I have, and that seems to be enough. I also like to play a few games with a deck that might be popular *ahemgardevoirandprimals* so I can get a feel of the strategy, which allows me to make the best plays when against that kind of deck.

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices: Yveltal, GenTric and Seismitoad / Crobat.

Which one do you guys think will have the most success?

Carpey said:
I always thought it was better to use a rogue deck (only if you know it's going to work against 75% of the meta) at Regionals over Cities, because out of the 5 rounds you get in Cities, you really can't afford to do terrible in more than a couple matchups. Regionals have more rounds so there's a larger room for error (The few bad matchups your rogue deck might have) and you can go really far if you have a good meta call. Metagaming at Cities is a bit harder though.

As for the "how", 100% of my testing comes from Sunday afternoon at my League, and it's not always a productive day if there are few competitive players that show up that day. Testing against little kids (I know, I know, some Juniors are pretty good but not these ones) that have 1 Juniper and 4 Tierno as a draw engine really doesn't help find the flaws in my decks. However, that means I make sure I get as much information as I can from the good battles I have, and that seems to be enough. I also like to play a few games with a deck that might be popular *ahemgardevoirandprimals* so I can get a feel of the strategy, which allows me to make the best plays when against that kind of deck.
That's what Ryan Sabelhaus did for last years Winter Regionals in Florida, and he won with Dragonite/Victini/Garbodor,

The decks I have been playing recently have been Yveltal EX/ M Manectric EX/other techs, Vir/Gen/Balloons, Sieismipuff, and Plasma. I have had success with all 4 of these decks and feel that they could do really well at a regional or state tournament. Seismipuff mya not be the best bet for a best of 3 tourament because it has seems lile the least consistant of the 4 and has trouble getting setup and winning games quickly at times. When it comes to chosing from the other 3 decks, I will likley try and play as many games with each deck as I can as well as playing against those decks and other decks I expect to be popular.

Oh wow, really? When I played my Kyurem / Lugia EX deck at a Cities I got 3-3.

What is your Pokemon line up look like? I had
x3 Lugia EX
x2 Kyurem
x2 Eevee Energy Evo
x1 Leafeon
x2 Glaceon
x4 Deoxys EX
x2 Seismitoad EX

I have two plasma decks one is based around Kyurem and one is based on lugia.
3 thunderous EX 3 thunderous EX
4 deoyxys EX 4 deoyxys EX
3 Kyurem 3 Lugia EX
1 Absol 1 Kuyrem

Honestly I feel like Kyurem and Lugia should both be separate decks, they're too inconsistent to play both consistently.

Anyone want to test for regionals on PTCGO/PlayTCG?

Yeah the pokemon lists should have been seperated. I agree that they should be different decks. Ironman131 if you guys want to add well.

Frost Mage said:
Anyone want to test for regionals on PTCGO/PlayTCG?

There is no competitive scene where I work and live, but I would love to help anyone out testing for regionals on PTCGO.

I can put together pretty much any list except Plasma.

Anyone interested, just let me know.

I'm probably going to test play alot on tcgone.net if anyone wants to join me there. I'm a top 16 regionals away from getting my invite and my kids can't stop making fun of me since both of them got there junior invites already. I'm also thinking of stop deck building for them lol.

pygohan said:
I'm probably going to test play alot on tcgone.net if anyone wants to join me there. I'm a top 16 regionals away from getting my invite and my kids can't stop making fun of me since both of them got there junior invites already. I'm also thinking of stop deck building for them lol.

Yea....Juniors have it too easy :p

I'll see how my first year in Masters go (There now you know my age) :p.

Try to stay on topic guys :D. This is turning into something that would be better suited for PM's or Skype (you can exchange information and arrange times there).

Sorry about that Camoclone.

My practicing is going to be hardcore though since I don't even have any CP. (Only got to go to 1 Cities) :(.

Yveltal EX, SlurToad and maybe Gengar EX is what I am testing. (Testing a little bit of Wobbat as well).

to come back to the plasma deck aprt I think that Kyurem and Lugia is possible. I play 3 Lugia EX, 2 Thundurus EX, 4 Deoxys EX and 1 Virizion EX along with 2 Plasma Kyurem and it works out pretty well! The only problems are Pyroar and Aegislash EX. In most cases you have to Lysandre / Catcher around these bad boys to get triple prices with Lugia (Jirachi EX is really appreciated lel).
Im also trying to put one team flare Whistle in my deck because in swiss rounds when you win match one and your opponent finds out you have no chance to deal with pyroar or aegislash they wont place any other Pokemon.. pretty nasty but it works unfortunately if you only have special energies in your deck :p

I do like Plasma as well but I used my Lugia EX deck and got a disappointing 3-3 at a Cities I attended. Maybe some of my plays effected the outcome of some of the games (mainly only charging up one Lugia EX), Aegislash EX was a problem that I had to play around and ultimately made me lose. IMO, Plasma is too risky to play because Aegislash EX can be found in Fairy Toolbox and Metal decks.

I pretty much decided on a disruption Yveltal / Seismitoad variant.

Have you guys decided on what decks you will play? I am kind of worried about Pyroar popping up again, should I be?

Back