How Will You be Testing for Regionals?

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
So now that Cities are over and the next tourney is Winter Regionals with Primal Clash going to be allowed (Correct me if i'm wrong please). What decks will you be testing at how?

I will be practicing these 4/5 decks:
Fairy Toolbox w/ Mega Gardy EX

Primal Kyogre w/Kyurems (LT and PLF)

Gengar EX w/ Manectric EX (for Yveltal EX)

SlurToad w/ Hammers, etc...

(Maybe) Camerupt EX w/ Pyroar FLF /Yanmega PHF

I will most likely be going for the deck that is the most consistent.

Im not sure if primal clash will be legal for the winter tournamnets. What dates are they? If they will be there are several decks I want to make when Primal Clash comes out. I think fairy will be pretty strong so I might end up playing some sort of fairy toolbox deck. I also think that M aggron has some good potential. I might just end up sticking with Vir/ Gen with Trevenant EX, SlurToad with the new ninetails could also be a possibility. Water decks are going to be very strong and will be getting alot of support so that could also be a possibility.

There are a lot of potential decks to worry about, so the best way to test would be play against as many decks as possible with the deck you are trying to test and see how its matchups are.

99% sure that Primal Clash is not legal for any Regionals except one of them (forgot exactly which one). Make sure you check that before going.

Ironman131 said:
What is the date of the Ft. Wayne regional. That would be the only one I might be able to make it to.
Ft. Wayne held the Fall Regional; St. Louis is the location for the Midwest Regional in February (2nd weekend, I believe). The other 3 locations are Virginia, Southern California, and Florida.

Also, my understanding is that the only Regional where Primal Clash cards will be legal is at the FL Regional since it is being held at the end of the month. So, I (not planning to go to FL) plan to test with/against the following decks (including variants):

• FairyBox
    MetalBox
    Night March
    Seismitoad
    VirGen
    Yveltal

This may sound weird but i think i will test Mega heracross EX. Made a deck on PTCGO and haven't lost yet.

Good type advantage against Seismitoad EX (sadly no resistance)

Weak to fire but Pyroar isn't too much of an issue ATM.

Any glaring weakness except for the fact it takes a turn to mega evolve it? What good non-EX would go well with it to go against Safe guarders?

Jeez, I have no idea. Three of the best players in the world live around me, Chris Silver, Israel Sosa, and Kian Amini (currently the #1 Master in the world), so it won't be easy predicting what people will play. Currently testing out MegaMan/BKEX.

Edit: I can't be sure about this, but I think the first Regionals held dictates the format for the rest of the Regionals, so that one metagame isn't vastly different from another because of an added set at only one tournament.

I will probably just run VirGen again, since i am the only one who does in hawaii. Though i cant decide what tech to add for the last 6. My choices atm are...

Drifblim + Enhanced Hammers
Abomasnow + Consistency
M Manectric Ex + Links

Overall the most successful deck i've had is with Abomasnow, weirdly enough. In cities the only loss i suffered was to Pyroar in the semifinals when i was running Driblim and hammers. Abomasnow would have easily gave me the victory and probably 1st place in cities, since i won against the 1st place donphan deck in swiss. But alas hindsight is 20-20.

But then against with the arise of more water types and less things for fire in general. Aside from camerupt and what not. But i just think that there will be so much water decks that fire wont get very far. ManVirGen might be the way to go, to deal with every type of water deck, and stomp the random Yveltal decks i run into. Safeguard will be a problem. But at least i can still G booster it.

Ivy_Profen said:
I will probably just run VirGen again, since i am the only one who does in hawaii. Though i cant decide what tech to add for the last 6. My choices atm are...

Drifblim + Enhanced Hammers
Abomasnow + Consistency
M Manectric Ex + Links

Overall the most successful deck i've had is with Abomasnow, weirdly enough. In cities the only loss i suffered was to Pyroar in the semifinals when i was running Driblim and hammers. Abomasnow would have easily gave me the victory and probably 1st place in cities, since i won against the 1st place donphan deck in swiss. But alas hindsight is 20-20.

But then against with the arise of more water types and less things for fire in general. Aside from camerupt and what not. But i just think that there will be so much water decks that fire wont get very far. ManVirGen might be the way to go, to deal with every type of water deck, and stomp the random Yveltal decks i run into. Safeguard will be a problem. But at least i can still G booster it.
I'd say go with Mega Manectric and Links. As an Yveltal player, it's very easy to play around G-Booster, especially if they're playing Hard Charms over LaseBank. It all really comes down to what people are playing around you.

I'm testing Fighting, VirGen, and several Manectric varients. I'm a fraid that despite the open meta we had at Cities, players will go back to tried and true methods for big events. It boils back to consistency. You can expect to see Yveltal, certainly in its purest form, and with a few varients mixed in. You should also expect VirGen, maybe Donphan and Fairies and perhaps even Pyroar. While Donphan had a big showing at fall Regionals and early into cities, its tricks are now dated and players have figured out how to counter it. Stilll, the strategy is known to be effective, so you can expect it to have some influence.

I'd be caerful before exploring rogue options right now. While many new decks have flourished during Cities, the meta can be reasonably expected to shift toward only the most consistent things as Regionals approaches. Powerful but flawed decks like Night March can't be relied on to get you through a whole day of best-of-three. This is just an inconvenient truth, despite the unique strategies and creative decks we've seen over the last few weeks.

In the tiny shred of a chance that I get to attend Regionals (The nearest one is 14 hours away in Missouri) I'll probably go with my buddy YveltalEX and whatever friends are necessary. Most notably Yveltal, SeismitoadEX, and DarkraiEX, but there is space for a few techs. I could also test some kind of Crobat deck because it seems interesting and could win games if you drop a Crobat at the right time.

Frost Mage said:
I'd say go with Mega Manectric and Links. As an Yveltal player, it's very easy to play around G-Booster, especially if they're playing Hard Charms over LaseBank. It all really comes down to what people are playing around you.

The thing is that there were 0 Yveltal at cities. So im not too worried about them. Theres 1 at league now. But its with Hydreigon. So its pretty slow.

Either way i usually end up beating Yveltal decks pretty easily. Though that was before i dropped energy switch down to 2.

Unfortunately for me, seismitoad ex was the most common deck In my area. So my choices are limited. I was going to test robo sub/terrakion, but I think I will just test night march leafeon. If I want to go hardcore against the evil toad I will test sigilyph/leafeon/dimension valley.

Somehow we've all missed the "how" portion of this thread. We've only addressed the "what" thus far.

Personally, my Regionals' preparation usually starts with some theorymon'ing with Poké pals around what did well at Cities and the current top decks in my area. Those conversations then shift towards refining that selected list to decks that would perhaps do better in the Bo3 format.

Of that refined list, there will typically be 1-2 I would not play since they don't fit my playing style. Of the remainder, I will select my 3 "favorite" decks and go through an intense battery of play-testing against all other top decks. Theorymon'ing continues; deck(s) may be tweaked again; and more play-testing...

I agree with you guys. Consistency is key here. It will be sad seeing creative decks like Wobbat probably not being played much. I am a huge fan of "the not common decks" aka "rouge decks". Yet, I will probably be going with the proven Yveltal EX as much as I want to play my Gengar EX deck w/ Manectric EX.

Thing is, the Manectric EXs may not be able to get out consistently to counter Yveltal EXs (I can see a way in which this could happen)

I will be doing my testing online mostly with my 3 choices of: Yveltal EX, GenTric and Seismitoad (either w/ Puff or Crobats)

Seismitoad EX / Crobat PHF is really strong because it can deal out lots of damage even without LaserBank. I find this to be an interesting, but effective choice for Winter Regionals.

Cities is a great time to test out new ideas and maybe get away with less consistent decks, but when it comes to major events like Regionals, the old, tried and true (and most consistent) decks will resurface, which means likely a lot of Yveltal.

This may seem weird but I think my main deck I will test is Gengar EX Manectric EX. This deck is consistent and can beat Yveltal EX and has Item lock with Trevenant.

Back