Pokemon How to explain Pokemon to a newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmage96

Herp Derp
So my girlfriend wants to try a Pokemon game to see what the heck I'm talking about half the time haha :) but I want to explain basic game mechanics and hints to play before she starts without overwhelming her. She's gonna play Emerald, any tips on how to basically get her started?

Read the instruction manual. Talk to many NPCs. What mechanics do you have in mind?

At the core, Pokemon is a game of veddy complex Rock-Papers-Scissors.

You should be there when she starts the game, just to make sure she knows the basics of what she's doing. If you want to explain stuff like mechanics, start off VERY simple (basically don't start teaching about EV's right away lol), like how battles work, typing of Pokemon, leveling, etc. Make sure she knows enough so she can play on her own, the main things that are a must-know are very basic battling mechanics, catching Pokemon, and how to use items, mainly potions/other healing items, key items, and TM's/HM's (HM's more importantly).

It also depends on how quick of a leaner she is of these types of things, if she's quick at figuring this stuff out then you can start moving into more advanced battling mechanics more quickly (For example: Special/Physical moves, how abilities work, how stats work, etc.)

Perhaps first getting her aqquainted with basics would be a most prudent task to complete.
Basics such as:
1.What the pokemon series is as a whole (Basically the objective of the game/plot)

2.Perhaps THE most significant implement of RPGs such as pokemon,is level/EXP gain.However if she is a novice at the concept of RPGs,it is of significant importance that you explain leveling,How to gain EXP in order to level up,You will also need to describe to her how both her pokemon and the enemies pokemon affect EXP gain.

3.Explain the stats and how they are utilized throughout the playthrough and what pokemon are ideal for said stat.
I.E.-(* = Best)
Attack(atk) - Salamence*,Blaziken,Metagross*,Absol
Defense(def) - Metagross*,Sandslash,Altaria,Torkoal,Duclops
Special Attack (sp.atk) - Alakazam* (Link trade),Gardevoir,Gengar(Link trade)
Special Defense (Sp.Def) - Gardevoir,Blissey* (link trade),Kecleon,dusclops,Tentacruel
Speed(Spd) - Sceptile,Ninjask*,Raichu
All-Around (decent stats all around) - Swampert,Flygon,Salamence,Metagross

3.Describe the varying Battle tactics (Simplistic craft such as Catching,switching,leveling,item usage,as well as attacking)

4.Detail the varying attributes of abilities and their effects on battle

5.What pokemon are decent at the beginning with said stats and abilities,such as Starter,tentacool,ralts,Ninjask.

6.Perhaps detailing items that could assist her substantially in the beginning would be of great assistance.A key item is the Experience Share,an item which DistributesEXP evenly to one pokemon in the party.Could prove useful due to her beginning the series.

7.Type matchups are also significant to detail.Matchups such as follows

Fire>Grass
Grass>Water
Water>Fire
Electric>Water
ETC....
Multitypes such as Nidoqueen,whom sports a Ground/Poison Typing are also impartial to know of.As a majority of the pokemon within emerald.

8.Difference of special and physical attacks.
Special attacks target special defense whilst Physical attacks target Defense.Assuredly it would also be useful to note elemental weaknesses coupled with these attacks,to increase damage output.
However,you will have to explain this part as she delves further into the game.

I believe all the information provided should help ease her in her runthrough and should assist her into more advanced concepts such as status moves and tactics using them to EV training.As she continues,You will need to assist her further if she is willing to get into these concepts.

Assuming that you're knowing the game series well. I suggest you to simply answer the questions she asks.

But, if you're asking me, Pokémon is a game that: "Incorporates a diversity of creatures inspired by myth, technology and nature and haves you to catch and train them through battle to reach the ultimate goal - becoming a master."

I'd say that if she just wants to play to see what the fuss is about, just tell her that Pokémon is a turn-based battler where you pick up to 6 Pokémon and pit them against other people's Pokémon. The story's usually about a kid (of varying ages depending on the game) who sets out to become something great and takes down a mafia-like organization along the way. And as you keep playing the Pokémon get stronger, learn more moves, and sometimes evolve.

That's pretty much it. If she has any further questions, she can ask. Pokémon is always designed to be beginner-friendly; anything that needs explaining to get through the game will be explained in the games themselves.

The biggest mistake someone can make is explaining too much. If it takes more than a minute to explain, then more often than not, they're going to get intimidated and not want to even begin. It's kind of a problem when someone is a fan of something to keep explanations short and simple. When it comes to video games, don't just start giving away hints unless they ask for it specifically; that's going to prevent them from enjoying it, and it can be seen as an insult (that the addressee doesn't believe the addresser can get through the game on his or her own).

The original poster is referring to the video games, not the card game.

I guess it depends on how effective and resourceful she wants to get through the game. This often boils down to what Pokémon is where and what trainer has that Pokémon. If you have played Pokémon long enough you will learn what types of Pokémon turn up in certain terrain and what Pokémon to switch to. After even longer playing Pokémon games you will be able to determine if a patch of certain terrain might have a rare Pokémon in it, depending on its position shape and size. If you have been playing the game for well over say…7 years which I guess most people on PB have been doing, including myself, then you will be able to guess what Pokémon a trainer has just by its sprite. I know Leaf Green like the back of my hand because I have gone through it dozens of times. Make sure she knows all the little bits that you think might not matter, like the trainer sprites and terrain.
Just naming some examples here from LG – (Sprites aren’t that varied from Emerald from what I remember, from the little I have played.) It’s like colour co-ordinating. It could apply to type of person like Young Kids also.

Hiker – Mostly Brown Palette – Often uses Ground, Rock and Fighting types – Use Water or Psychic types.
Young Girls – Mostly Light colours or Green – Uses the ‘cute’ Pokémon (Clefairy, Jigglypuff etc) or Grass types such as Oddish or Bellsprout. - Use Fire or Fighting types.
Young Boys – Usually the short wearers or again, Green – Focus on both Normal, Flying and Grass types, fire on occasion – Hit them with a normal or a Pokémon with multiple type moves.

(Note that there are always some exceptions, like in HG/SS you see fire breathers with rock types.)

Introduce her to most of the sprites and terrains. Note to her that lower levels of evolution give less experience. (Bellsprout will give less experience than a Victreebell.)
Space out experience usage, don’t make a tank on your first runthrough. Talk to the NPC’s to find out the Gym Leaders/E4 types and build a team around that while keeping yourself stable throughout the game. I doubt she will want to farm constantly like me and unlike most people on PB, so this method is very good for sparing out your experience usage as I don’t think the VS seeker was in Emerald.

Why do you need to say anything? Give her the game and let her play. The game pretty much teaches as it goes along. Maybe once she gets the idea you can start talking about Base Stats, EVs, IVs, teambuilding, etc., but I think actually playing the game is the easiest way to learn.

I dunno, sink or swim is the best way I teach people. When they get to a point where they're ready to grasp the advanced aspects,then teach them that.

(sorry if this may be bumping, but I want to add my reply to this discussion XD)

Newbie (walks in): Hey, do you know what this thing is called Pokemon?

Nightmane (shrugs): Hmm, maybe, whats it you want to know?

Newbie: Like, what are they?

Nightmane: Okay, the charge for such info would be..lets see..$5.00.

Newbie (pulls out a five dollar bill) Fine here you go, now tell me what they are.

Nightmane: Okay, but that would be an extra $2:00 for rushing me. Now, here we go: Pokemon is a concept devised by Nintendo. They are creatures that have powers. Some can shoot water, some breath flames, some even have psychic-powers.

Newbie: Cool, do they fire lazers out their eyes?

Nightmane: some do. another 5.00 though since you just asked a second question. There are different types, you see. They can launch moves based on their type. A water type can fire water, and such. There are also dragons and birds as well. The birds can fly really fast and attack with either wind gusts and/or their wings. Dragons fly and fire energy beams from their mouth. Anything else you want to know?

Newbie: Yes, but I can't afford it.

Nightmane (shrugs): Fine by me, That will be $12.00 altogether.

Newbie: (pulls out another 5 dollar bill and two one-doller bills): Here you go, Mr. Nightmane

I'd say dont forget to mention shinies! Don't want her to KO/flee from one i'm sure.

Get her started off with the old games like red//blue/yellow or seomthing
dont just give her white and expect her to know whats going on
just tell her you catch these pokemon, there are levels you experience, badges/gyms/ and finally the elite four/leauge
then theres shinies, different kinds of pokemon, IV breeding/ev training, and everything.
She'll like it :)

ISmokeWeedle said:
don't just give her white and expect her to know whats going on

Eh, I'd think BW would be a great choice. They're trying to target new players with this one.

Chariblaze said:
Eh, I'd think BW would be a great choice. They're trying to target new players with this one.

I agree. Honestly, B&W is THE go-to game when it comes to introducing a new player. New players might be put off by playing extremely outdated games with old concepts and poor graphics on inferior platforms.

From a completely new player's perspective, games like Red/Blue and Ruby/Sapphire have fairly poor storytelling and have mechanics that were introduced for the first time that seem and feel unpolished. Don't let nostalgia get in your way when it comes to recommending games - the majority of the time it's the nostalgia that is holding your opinion so high, and not the actual gameplay!

Definitely go for B&W. I had an absolute blast playing it as a veteran. If she gets into it, then you can start introducing FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver. After that, it's up to how much she's hooked!

Wait guys, remember that he said that she was playing EMERALD!!! =) I started playing almost four years ago, and from my expierience, first let her know that the game is basically about:

Leveling up your Pokemon,
Crashing the bad guy's base of operations,
Capturing the legendary on the cover,
Collecting eight gym badges,
And beating the Elite 4, followed by the champion!

(Also, watch out for shinies! Tell her that they sparkle at the begining of a battle! :D)

That should basically get her started. If she likes it, THEN start telling her about EV's, IV's, and etc. If she wants another, then let her try BW like Chariblaze and Megaphone said.

Hope this helps! :D

Megaphone said:
From a completely new player's perspective, games like Red/Blue and Ruby/Sapphire have fairly poor storytelling and have mechanics that were introduced for the first time that seem and feel unpolished. Don't let nostalgia get in your way when it comes to recommending games - the majority of the time it's the nostalgia that is holding your opinion so high, and not the actual gameplay!

Although very true, I don't think this applies to the GameBoy/Colour games. They are very solid and self explanatory. It's not like there is a lot going on on the screen, you can take it at your own pace and more complex RPG's had been around before Pokemon was released. Later games do have a few features that only the people who have played past versions, will grasp instantly whereas new players won't. These would only be minor things such as HM's, hidden items and so on. Starting off somewhere in the middle, like R/S, seems ideal. Nothing to distract you and solid gameplay. Learn how the game works first before really paying attention to whats going on in the plot.

Chariblaze said:
Exactly what I was thinking! I'm not new to pokemon in general, but I'm kinda new to VG. The first game I got was white and it went well for me. Also, this is off topic but, since I am sorta a noob in VG, can you even get a shiny in BW? PM me if you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back