How many more BW sets do you think will be made?

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
With the announcement of gen 6 it won't be long we close the doors on the BW sets... timing couldn't be better cause they don't have many legendaries to make EX now. I can see...

Suicune EX (team Plasma?)
Jirachi EX
Regirock EX
Regice EX (team plasma?)
Azelf, Mespirit, Uxie EX
Manaphy EX
Palkia EX (team plasma?)
Dialga EX (team plasma?)
Giratina origin forme EX
Arceus EX
Landorus EX (normal forme)
Thundurus EX (normal)
Virizion EX
Lugia EX (normal, this one I'd actually want)
Deoxys speed, attack, defense formes EX

With just about 20 possible EXs we can see maybe... 3-4 sets? I think one in March, one in June and last one in September. And bam October's around the corner. What y'all think?

RE: How many more BW sets you think will be made?

MrSquarepants said:
With the announcement of gen 6 it won't be long we close the doors on the BW sets... timing couldn't be better cause they don't have many legendaries to make EX now. I can see...

Suicune EX (team Plasma?)
Jirachi EX
Regirock EX
Regice EX (team plasma?)
Azelf, Mespirit, Uxie EX
Manaphy EX
Palkia EX (team plasma?)
Dialga EX (team plasma?)
Giratina origin forme EX
Arceus EX
Landorus EX (normal forme)
Thundurus EX (normal)
Virizion EX
Lugia EX (normal, this one I'd actually want)
Deoxys speed, attack, defense formes EX

With just about 20 possible EXs we can see maybe... 3-4 sets? I think one in March, one in June and last one in September. And bam October's around the corner. What y'all think?

Maybe there won't be made with different forms but with Gen 6 coming up, they will probably just make them out in the next 3/4 sets and if they can't, we may have something similar to Zapdos/Moltres EX from some other deck.

Japan will have the Shining Collection in Feb. I guess BW9 in May. BW10 in Aug. Gen 6 in Oct.

English sets typically run behind Japanese. Are you expecting English to catch up or skip?

I like this thread.

omahanime said:
Japan will have the Shining Collection in Feb. I guess BW9 in May. BW10 in Aug. Gen 6 in Oct.

Do you mean the English or Japanese release of BW9? I think Japan is set to get it in March.

MrSquarepants said:
What y'all think?

It's hard to say since they are doing an worldwide release of the 6th Generation. That could effect the timeline of the TCG in many different ways. I think they'll be able to roll out two more sets (post BW9) before they start the 6th Generation of cards. Which brings up another interesting topic: Do you think they will have a new "gimmick" with the next generation? I am hopeful they continue to print EX cards. :p

omahanime said:

English sets typically run behind Japanese. Are you expecting English to catch up or skip?

Yea but a new set pops up pretty quick after a mini set. Well it did for Dragons anyway... I actually just gave like a 3 month time gap, figured since BW8 came out in December I guess around mid March and 3 months onward. I doubt English would catch up but if they skipped... No that's not possible... I was gonna say if they did skip they'd merge two sets but that be like a 240+ card set if they do two JPN sets that have dual sets of 60-70 cards. Wow imagine that haha that's even bigger than when WoTC merged the e-series.

As for new gimmicks... I want new stage 2 EX's. >.>;; cracking 250HP oh yeah baby. Dunno how that'll change the meta but that'd excite me. Of course it may backfire and the game is broken and no one plays anymore. :x

SoulWind said:
I like this thread.

omahanime said:

Do you mean the English or Japanese release of BW9? I think Japan is set to get it in March.

MrSquarepants said:
What y'all think?

It's hard to say since they are doing an worldwide release of the 6th Generation. That could effect the timeline of the TCG in many different ways. I think they'll be able to roll out two more sets (post BW9) before they start the 6th Generation of cards. Which brings up another interesting topic: Do you think they will have a new "gimmick" with the next generation? I am hopeful they continue to print EX cards. :p

I was getting Shiny collection confused with Megalo Cannon
So it is more like Feb - Shiny Collection, Mar - BW9? Megalo Cannon, Jun - BW10, Sep - BW11 or Gen 6

MrSquarepants said:
omahanime said:

Yea but a new set pops up pretty quick after a mini set. Well it did for Dragons anyway... I actually just gave like a 3 month time gap, figured since BW8 came out in December I guess around mid March and 3 months onward. I doubt English would catch up but if they skipped... No that's not possible... I was gonna say if they did skip they'd merge two sets but that be like a 240+ card set if they do two JPN sets that have dual sets of 60-70 cards. Wow imagine that haha that's even bigger than when WoTC merged the e-series.

As for new gimmicks... I want new stage 2 EX's. >.>;; cracking 250HP oh yeah baby. Dunno how that'll change the meta but that'd excite me. Of course it may backfire and the game is broken and no one plays anymore. :x

If English does not catch up or skip cards, that would mean Nov 2013 for Gen 6 at the earliest.

One major fact is that the international TCG will never ever had more or less than 4 sets released a year, and they are always released in February, May, August, and November, with margin of error of one month. So releasing 5 main sets is out of the question. Releasing 3 main sets is really out of the question. The best they could do is combine a bunch of sets.

Japan would probably release BW9 in March, and BW10 in July. They probably won't release a BW11 in September, considering it is so close to the XY video game release. What I hope is this. They release XY TCG set in October, so we can release ours in November. We try to combine BW8, BW9, and BW10 together. If BW10 is a single set, then we can probably combine BW9 and BW10 together. We'd probably see some BW9 stuff released along BW8 just to balance things out. BW8 has around 100 cards, and BW9, and maybe BW10, if it is a single set, rather than a double set, would each have 70 cards. So if 20 cards from BW9 moved to BW8 to make our August set, which is our BW9, then we would have a 120 card set. Then their BW 9 and BW10 would be our BW 10 set, with 20 cards from their BW9 missing from our BW10 set. Then we sprinkle some promos and precon cards to make them both 130 to 140 card sets. Japan would release XY2 in January, let's say, and we can release ours in February. Now it seems like we "caught up".

We could also say that because of the release of Emerging Powers, we now have to play Catch up with the Japanese sets, and we are forced to squeeze a 3 Japanese sets into 2 international sets.

As a matter of fact, I don't even know if simultaneous or 1 or 2 month gap of TCG releases between us and Japan is even possible. If it's impossible, then I'm afraid to say we might see XY1 TCG set in February. Considering how EX Delta Species exists, I'm pretty sure they have them all translated long before the release of the japanese set.

Japan's Plasma Gale has around 79 cards and we have 135 cards. Could it be possible that some of those 56 cards come from Spiral Force/Thunder Knuckle?

So what I predict is, in May, we get a 160 card set. August, we get a 150 card set, then November is XY1. The total number of cards for our May and August sets would be 310 cards, because for everything to fit, you'd have to look at 150+ card set. The predictions I made are probably too small anyway. If anything we would probably look at 170+ card sets.

For Japan, let's say BW8 is 116 cards, BW9 is 80 cards, and BW10 is 100 cards. This totals to 296 cards. This leaves 14 extra cards for promos and precons. That is, unless BW10 happens to be a small set, then it would make it easier.

It doesn't matter if my numbers are wrong, what I predict is that our May and August sets will be huge, and you'd probably better be prepared for the biggest Pokemon set since Aquapolis and Skyridge. Ok, probably not that big, but around that size. Like 170 cards.

So I want some input from you. Would you rather wait until February to see XY1, or would you go through 2 170+ card sets? A third option would be, would you want to completely omit an entire Japanese set?

Huh, this is actually a fairly interesting question, especially in light of XY being released simultaneously worldwide.

I think the amount of Japanese sets is probably already set in stone. I can't see a full TCG set of the new generation being released before the games come out, so likely we'll get 9, 10, and 11. The first Gen 6 set will likely be the fall release, pushed up or held back for a bit compared to usual release times, perhaps, to coincide optimally with the game release.

It does become more interesting with the international sets, though. International TCG sets are traditionally roughly one set behind Japan, with some room for error regarding certain cards either being released internationally first or withheld for later sets. I can see TCPi wanting to match up to the games and have simultaneous releases for the TCG products worldwide. Translating cards is a much easier and faster process than games, and standardizing set releases, and even set rotations for tournament play, could be a move in the right direction for the TCG. This doesn't mean there wouldn't be problems, though, if for no other reason than TCG sets are much more frequently released than games.

There's also the matter of "catching up" that the international TCG would have to do; the video games don't have that kind of problem. Being a full set behind the Japanese release doesn't give the International TCG that many options. They can either skip an entire Japanese set, try to cram the last 3 Japanese BW sets into 2 International sets, or just leave everything as it is now and not attempt to accommodate to the simultaneous release schedule. The last option would be the strictly easiest option, but it could also hurt the TCG in sales, especially among young children who still remain a core aspect of the TCG market.

Honestly, I think the cramming 3 sets into 2 is the most likely option. TCPi has already shown us that they aren't afraid of making huge sets, and the combining of the sets would require them to already start releasing International cards closer to Japanese releases, easing the way into simultaneous TCG releases throughout these last few months before XY. I really don't think cutting out an entire Japanese set is likely at all, and delaying the XY TCG release would cost them tasty, tasty profits. None of these options are really particularly good ones, but the squeezing sets is probably the best of the bunch.

---

Actually...

Another option could also involve splitting some of that final Japanese BW11 set in with the first International XY set. XY isn't going to be a pure generation like BW, so gen I-V Pokémon would likely be in the games and could also conceivably be in the TCG releases as well.

Another another option could involve the initial XY International set being mostly made up entirely out of BW11, with a few Gen 6 Pokémon being tossed in for the publicity and advertisements. Include a line of the starters and holo/URs of the Legendaries or something, and that gives you just enough Gen 6 to look good and capture that market share while not being forced to rush into synchronization of releases.

Both of these options would function as compromises to ease of release while still marketing XY to the fullest. If the TCPi decides that it wants to start pursuing simultaneous releases, it would probably do something closer to the former, but if it wants to keep that 3-4 month buffer zone, they might lean more towards the latter.

Megalo Cannon is jap BW9 (coming in March). BW10 will probably come in June or July and I expect that to be the final jap BW set. What happens is that (contrary to what people initially thought), there are still quite a few number of legendaries to be released as EXs, so I wouldn't be surprised if the last jap set is a double set. They could always delay the debut of XY sets a bit though in japan, but I don't think it will happen.

As for english sets, Plasma Storm is our BW8 and it's so big compared to its jap equivalent because it has cards from the Kyurem Battle Strength decks, plus I predict some promos to be in it too. That one will come out in Feb.
So, our BW9 will be the equivalent of SpiralForce/ThunderKnuckle (jap BW8). And I think it will also be huge not only because they were two subsets but it will probably get influxed with those pathetic cards from Everyone's Exciting Battle decks or whatever they're called (plus, the cards from Team Plasma Gift Set, though those are a small number). It is supposed to come out in May.
Next, is where the question resides. Megalo Cannon will be our BW10 set supposed to be released in August, but if japan will have another set in june/july, then I guess the mix of both sets is a big possibility is they don't want to delay the english release of XY sets... But I don't know if we can rely on that since TPCi is so unpredictable, so I have no ideia about what will happen to the english sets...

Ooh, Japanese promo release and theme deck cards. Wow, I totally spaced on those. Such unique releases would certainly put a crimp on any plans TPCi could make regarding simultaneous international TCG releases; I really can't picture them replicating the entire Japanese release system (theme decks with actual exclusive cards, specialized decks and gift sets, etc), as much as I might like them too. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that TPCi isn't likely to push for a full simultaneous international release for the full XY set, instead pushing out a semi-concurrent set with the XY release that will contain some, but not all, of the first Japanese XY set.

Japan releases 4 sets a year. In March, July, September, and December.

When there is a base set, they release 3 sets that year.

So Megalo Cannon is in March.

I see three options for XY1's release in Japan

Release as the September set, but released October instead, omit both July and December sets.
Release as the September set, but released October instead, with the December set omitted.
Release as the December set, but released November instead, with the September set omitted.

So this leaves BW10 being the July set, if they decide to release a BW10. If they do, here are our options.

We just go with the flow and release XY1 in February.
We switch XY1 and BW10's release
We cram BW10 into BW9, or in our case it would be BW11 and BW10.
We just purely skip a Japanese set.

One fact I noticed with Japanese base sets, is that there is a gap of no set releases before and after, like around 4 to 5 months, or even 7 months. So maybe Megalo Cannon is the last BW set ever. Well, there is a 7 month gap, and there was a 7 month gap between Japanese BW1 and Red Collection.

You know what would be the easiest solution if Japan does release a BW10? Preview tins, or preview blisters, and just flat out release our XY1 in February. Makes it much smoother and simpler.

I also feel that our set releases and Japanese set releases should maintain the same gap, because their March set is our August set right? I don't know about the schooling system in places other than US, Canada, and Japan, but in Japan, their school starts in April, and our school starts in September.

I really don't know when the Japanese TCG and our TCG tournament season starts and ends, but it may have something to do with the school season. So if that's the case, if Japan has a certain set being the first set released in the tournament season, and for us, we might want to keep that as the first set as well.

So I hope we get XY1 in february, and just release preview tins and blisters or box sets between October and February, while releasing the equivalent of the Japanese BW10, if they are going to release it, in November.

Ahhh yea I got you now, I know what you're talking about now. Youre right about that, could take longer though. :S I was mostly thinking about what dates the next JPN sets would touch. Also I just realized I completely forgot about Genesect EX. :X LOL whoops.

omahanime said:
SoulWind said:
I like this thread.

I was getting Shiny collection confused with Megalo Cannon
So it is more like Feb - Shiny Collection, Mar - BW9? Megalo Cannon, Jun - BW10, Sep - BW11 or Gen 6

MrSquarepants said:

If English does not catch up or skip cards, that would mean Nov 2013 for Gen 6 at the earliest.

Back