BW/BW2 How does soft reseting work exactly?

BenjaminLDuco

Aspiring Trainer
So my main question is what if I'm soft reseting for a shiny starter, then I turn off my game and continue later. Does this reset the count or continue from where I left off?

Also what if I've been reseting on one file then decide to make a new file and begin soft reseting once more, does this reset the count?

There is no count but the one in your mind. The game simply provides the 1/8192 chance every time you SR. So, I suppose you could say it continues from where you left off, no matter what.

What you're implying, BenjaminLDuco, is that your chances of finding a shiny starter increase as you fail to find one - that is, eventually the 1/8192 will become 1/1 and you will obtain it.

This isn't true. What actually happens, as Chariblaze kinda pointed out, is that every time you restart, you have a 1/8192 chance of getting lucky, no matter how many times you've tried - you could very well reset your game 8,192 times and still not have it.

The only thing soft resetting does is save time. It doesn't provide a counter of any kind, and there is no way to increase your odds of finding a shiny starter. You just have to get lucky.

PMJ said:
The only thing soft resetting does is save time. It doesn't provide a counter of any kind, and there is no way to increase your odds of finding a shiny starter.

Except RNG abuse, but that's a whole nother topic.

Isn't that when the data from certain pokemon make it likely that you will meet a certain one? like all the old error "pokemon" from red/blue (missingno., 'm, and the likes) or the mew-two encounter?

PMJ said:
What you're implying, BenjaminLDuco, is that your chances of finding a shiny starter increase as you fail to find one - that is, eventually the 1/8192 will become 1/1 and you will obtain it.

This isn't true. What actually happens, as Chariblaze kinda pointed out, is that every time you restart, you have a 1/8192 chance of getting lucky, no matter how many times you've tried - you could very well reset your game 8,192 times and still not have it.

That'd be the Gambler's Fallacy, isn't it?

No need to turn off your game XD. Just use this code: L+R+START+SELECT. This is by far the fastest way to soft reset plus it saves your power switch too. You can only turn it on so many times before it dies. I think it is like 10 million times or something like that. About 20 years or so if you take good care of your DS anyway. That means don't drop it if you can avoid it XD.:) It is not shock proof sadly but you can buy padded covers to help absorb the impact if you do drop it XD.:)

I know that :) I just wasn't sure if the game actually counted the resets or if it was luck based. I ended up giving up on my shiny charmander and I began a nuzlocke challenge and I then encountered a shiny pidgey on route 2 that I was able to catch.

Yeah it works. You just need A LOT of patience to do it XD as that is the ONLY way to get a shiny starter.:)

xxashxx said:
Yeah it works. You just need A LOT of patience to do it XD as that is the ONLY way to get a shiny starter.:)
The only way to get a shiny starter is to get really really lucky from receiving it from Professor ______, or by getting really really lucky with Masuda Method by breeding a starter with a foreign Pokemon.

Although, I do know a guy who got a shiny Chimchar from Rowan on his first try. But yeah, for the first method, soft resetting helps to replay that bit over and over. (Same with shiny legends.)

Yep. Its all luck. My friend resetted for Torchic and got it in 30 minutes. It just depends. Masuda Method is the best way (another one of my friends got a Shiny Mudkip in 2 eggs.)

Now with that method do you have to get new eggs everytime or can you save a step before the egg hatches then soft reset the egg.

Or it just better to get more and more eggs?

xxashxx said:
No need to turn off your game XD. Just use this code: L+R+START+SELECT. This is by far the fastest way to soft reset plus it saves your power switch too. You can only turn it on so many times before it dies. I think it is like 10 million times or something like that. About 20 years or so if you take good care of your DS anyway. That means don't drop it if you can avoid it XD.:) It is not shock proof sadly but you can buy padded covers to help absorb the impact if you do drop it XD.:)
Pressing L+R+START+SELECT, that is what SOFT reset MEANS. >_>

The best way to get shiny starters is Masuda method in generation 5, as somebody said.

To all:
Also, when soft resetting for a starter, remember that you have to send the Pokémon out into battle to see if it is shiny. You will not see shinieness on the choice screen. This does not apply to HG/SS, though. There you see shinieness on the choice screen too.

Back