Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble from 'Pokemon Sword' and 'Shield!'

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Totally agreed there. Platinum is the best so far objective (my gen 1 love is 50 % nostalgia). I am therefore glad to see that this region seems to take things from the Sinnoh region. However, also as you said, Sun & Moon was a disapointment and I think this was mostly due to there being so little space to discover on your own. You were guided constantly. This was exactly what made Platinum (well, one of the things) so great; it felt very spacious. You could discover all sorts of corners and creeks. Let's hope the new games are anything like that and do not follow the Sun & Moon route! The fact that gyms are back is already a good sign.
Exactly! Sinnoh was the perfect Pokemon region. It didn't feel like it was horribly confusing but you definitely had a lot of space to explore (I've come to realize a lot of Unova did this too, after I played BW and BW2 again last year). There were so many optional little secrets around Sinnoh that, especially after my last playthrough (I've played Platinum like 5 or 6 times in the past 5 years) it just kept me playing and playing after I beat Cynthia. It also had a fantastic roster of Pokemon (210 is really impressive and they picked some REALLY good ones). It just felt so adventurous compared to Sun and Moon which felt WAY too linear and empty.

Gyms being back is already a good sign and I think the region looks really fun, I just do hope that despite it being detailed it doesn't hesitate to allowing the player to explore hidden areas and have optional sidequests. A good postgame, which is what a lot of recent games in the series lack would also be really appreciated. I want something like Platinum or BW/BW2's postgames. More areas to go to after the game, sidequests, all that fun stuff.

TheRealBro..

Gyms being back is already a good sign and I think the region looks really fun, I just do hope that despite it being detailed it doesn't hesitate to allowing the player to explore hidden areas and have optional sidequests. A good postgame, which is what a lot of recent games in the series lack would also be really appreciated. I want something like Platinum or BW/BW2's postgames. More areas to go to after the game, sidequests, all that fun stuff.

I guess you know gen 5 well then. The only region I played more than 3 times is Kanto, just because those ugly graphics are the beginning of my Pokemon love and never get old because of this. Let's not forget the music in those games as well. Tears to my eyes ; )

Yeah, a good Pokemon game has both, good Pokemon, and a good region. As far as I'm concerned the best Pokemon came in gens 1,2 and 6 and the best regions were gens 4 and 5 as you state. Hopefully we get both this time because they stated that they took al the best things from previous gens and in my opinion this hasn't really happened as platinum was as good as a region get's, but had fairly poor new Pokemon (gen 4).

It is going to be an exciting year, that's for sure!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I guess you know gen 5 well then. The only region I played more than 3 times is Kanto, just because those ugly graphics are the beginning of my Pokemon love and never get old because of this. Let's not forget the music in those games as well. Tears to my eyes ; )

Yeah, a good Pokemon game has both, good Pokemon, and a good region. As far as I'm concerned the best Pokemon came in gens 1,2 and 6 and the best regions were gens 4 and 5 as you state. Hopefully we get both this time because they stated that they took al the best things from previous gens and in my opinion this hasn't really happened as platinum was as good as a region get's, but had fairly poor new Pokemon (gen 4).

It is going to be an exciting year, that's for sure!
Interesting that you mention Gen 4 having a rather poor lineup-That's definitely another thing we differ on. Gen 4 appeals to me the same way 2 does with solid original Pokemon but fortifying old favorites and giving a new twist on them, something I hope this next generation does a lot. I would love to see some older Pokemon get new evolutions a la Gen 4's style of doing it.

I think the next game needs to have the charm of old games and use a lot of the philosophies and design factors the old games used, but also, in the vein of Black and White, having a fresh take on the series. (I would love another game that did a Pokedex like BW1 did, with ONLY pokemon native to the region, but that won't be the case here). It needs to do it WELL though, and as much as I appreciate Sun and Moon for trying new things, it did fall flat where other games that tried new concepts did so well.

I'm just excited we're getting into a new generation finally. It's definitely exciting and I can't wait to follow the speculation and all the news all year.

Wechselbalg

brb
THE EVOLUTIONS NAMES MIGHT HAVE BEEN REVEALED
--------------------------------------
When you download the HD versions of the starters, their names are as follows:

Scorbunny_Flambino_Hopplo.jpg

Grookey_Ouistempo_Chimpep.jpg

Sobble_Larmeleon_Memmeon.jpg

I am not joking. Check the names of the files yourself. These sound like the evolution names!

They could also be the English/French/German names, respectively.

EDIT: I checked the German pokewiki, Scorbunny is Hopplo.

TheRealBro..

Interesting that you mention Gen 4 having a rather poor lineup-That's definitely another thing we differ on. Gen 4 appeals to me the same way 2 does with solid original Pokemon but fortifying old favorites and giving a new twist on them, something I hope this next generation does a lot. I would love to see some older Pokemon get new evolutions a la Gen 4's style of doing it.

Yeah I also liked that they tried to give somewhat forgotten Pokemon (like Elektabuzz and Magmar) a better makeover, much like what Gen 6 did with Mega Evolutions and Gen 7 with Alolan Pokemon (I liked that a lot) but I just didn't like the designs of those Pokemon in gen 4. Magmortar, Elektivire and Yanmega to name a few didn't click with me, although Mamoswine, for example, is awesome. Hit and miss if you ask me.

I'm just excited we're getting into a new generation finally. It's definitely exciting and I can't wait to follow the speculation and all the news all year

Me too and the signs are already positive. Hope we'll have another good discussion when the news starts coming in!

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
They could also be the English/French/German names, respectively.

EDIT: I checked the German pokewiki, Scorbunny is Hopplo.

Interestingly, that implies more strongly that chameleon is the lizard implied by Sobble and not a salamander, given the french and german names both ending in 'eon'.

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
I love these games already...
But I don’t get why they chose Sword and Shield.... Feels a bit off. Doesn’t really fit the previous title-types.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Well, some of the suburbian casual wear in Britain can be bland. The region is based off of that country anyways. I knew that Gen 8 would be based on another country like Gen 6 (X&Y).

I was talking to someone I chat with regularly who lives in Britain, and they basically said what you said.

I mean I'm not asking for the moon with customization; maybe even something simple like being able to alter the colors of the clothing the main characters wear to give a little bit of personaility.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
You guys do realise that "Galar" is Irish for "Disease" right? Something mysterious going on there? (Source: Google Translate)

XCITE

Aspiring Trainer
alright, here's my take:

starters are OK. they are probably the worst starters (and have trash names), leaving evos out of the equation. I'm team sobble, he feels somewhat original, as he's actually a good bit different from Mudkip who I think is his only likeness), who I love. Grookey feels stale, since we have had like 3 monkey Pokémon, 2 of them just last gen, and despite being a different animal, he feels like every other starter ever. Scorbunny feels like Pokémon fan service, its just the kind of Pokémon they make because people always fall for them. Back in the day, fan favorites didn't feel so forced (Lucario, Charizard, Mewtwo) but now they are just doled out from your local gamefreaks factory(zeraora, incineroar, lycanroc) and though I do often like them, it still feels like they are force feeding me a food I like. JUST LET ME EAT IT MYSELF!!!!!!!!

Region is great! name is a little odd, but it actually sound pretty cool when you say it out loud. The setting feels fresh, in a cool way, because their regions tend to be fairly original but I still hate many of them. the setting does not make or break a game for me, but it does add a lot to the experience if they get it right.

They have finally caught up on graphics, and they have brought back gyms, which is good. everything they redid for SM sucked. I actually liked the overworld Pokémon mechanic, so I am sad they ditched it. I could pick and choose which Pokémon I wanted to run into and getting what you wanted wasn't easier, it was just less painful, because I didn't have to spend a 2 minutes every time I ran into a rattata. I want overworld mon you fight. If they can make it so I can get in and out of an encounter with a Pokémon I don't want in 3 seconds then I don't mind. I know that sounds impatient, but I'm playing a video game and you do painful things with rewards in real life, and the game feels so grindy when you just when you spend 30 minutes going in and out of fights with foongus to walk 20 steps.

Better have a good villain, because in past decade or so it feels like all the games have amazing villains, even when the rest of the game sucked( I'm looking at you, My Boi Guzma)

XCITE

Aspiring Trainer
You guys do realise that "Galar" is Irish for "Disease" right? Something mysterious going on there? (Source: Google Translate)
Not saying I don't believe you, but it is Google translate, and when I translate things there, I get some weird S*** back

iGeek256

I only use Electric types. Help me
THE EVOLUTIONS NAMES MIGHT HAVE BEEN REVEALED
--------------------------------------
When you download the HD versions of the starters, their names are as follows:

Scorbunny_Flambino_Hopplo.jpg

Grookey_Ouistempo_Chimpep.jpg

Sobble_Larmeleon_Memmeon.jpg

I am not joking. Check the names of the files yourself. These sound like the evolution names!
So were getting a jumping bunny, an EDM monkey, and a meme lord.