Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble from 'Pokemon Sword' and 'Shield!'

CynderDarkov

Aspiring Trainer
I'd love to see the Let's Go overworld mechanic also, though I understand that others don't like it (though I assume there's a reason beyond 'it's what we always have done'?)
I didn't like it because the spawning didn't feel natural. And it probably won't feel natural unless pokemon turned into an open world rpg.

A Dragon of Destiny

The Ultimate Dragon
So Grookey is definitely groove+monkey especially since the first thing it did was use its head stick as a make shift drumstick.
Scorbunny is scorch+bunny very simple
Sobble is probably salamander+bubble

Scoop

Literally a sheep
This looks so much better than Alola already, it's really impressive. I'm really excited for these new games, just please give us more than 100 Pokemon this time. Gen 6 and 7 COMBINED are just barely smaller than gen 5, which did both quality and quantity well. If they could do it for Unova, they can do it again.

(Also, this is the first mainline region that doesn't have the letter O in it. Ain't that something.)

TheRealBro..

Awesome. Everytime a Fire starter has looked good (think Cindaquil, Fennekin and litten to some extent) the final evolution was disapointing.. This time Scorbunny is so ugly, the final evolution has to be epic.. Right?

Like the water type starter though. And the region reminds me a bit of Sinnoh, and that is a good thing. A very good thing.

Wait I just read Gyms are back :D Now I'm hyped.

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
It’s ok.. not that impressive. I’d expect more had I not been disappointed before with Sun and Moon.

Slight change in graphics is meh. With Mario O and BOTW this game experience is so outdated and it seems GF are not even trying to make it fresher.

Pokémon animation is pretty much the same including the battle experience.
Let me guess, now instead of a star shaped fight button it’s a fancy triangle shape? Yeah, not an upgrade .

Starters are so predictable and their patterns can be traced to already existed Pokemon.

You already made such a huge step in Pokémon in the overworld in Let’s Go and you take a step back ? Why the heck?

The map is soooo boring and predictable it is painful. Oh great, caves icy mountain and a central city.

I used to buy main games as they came out, but this time I can say chances are I can wait till the third version.

I think Pokémon players are just too loyal to give up on a new generation and that just causes GF to use the same old formula because it just works. But the fact that these games can be SOOO much better like 3 generations ago should raise a lot of eyebrows among the Pokémon fan community.

TheRealBro..

Gen 6 and 7 COMBINED are just barely smaller than gen 5, which did both quality and quantity well. If they could do it for Unova, they can do it again.

Let's disagree about that. Yes, I too want more than 70 Pokemon, but not like in Gen 5 which had about 50 good Pokemon with the rest being meh to (sometimes literally) garbage.

CorinthiansRose

Aspiring Trainer
It'll probably evolve into a gorilla. Pickup, torchic, and rowlet are all birds. And charmander and treeko are lizards. Many repeats but the end results are always different

Hopefully it will evolve into a cool type of gorilla. At least with the other starters, even though there are multiple birds, they're all completely different species. Chimchar was a chimp, and so is this one. There are different species of monkeys they could have used at least, like a baboon or or something.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Let's disagree about that. Yes, I too want more than 70 Pokemon, but not like in Gen 5 which had about 50 good Pokemon with the rest being meh to (sometimes literally) garbage.

We definitely have different opinions about gen 5 then, because I honestly think the vast majority of the Pokemon from it are fantastic, to where it perfectly balanced quality and quantity. I know I'm definitely an outlier when it comes to gen 5 though, but it's stood out as my absolute favorite for years now. I can understand where people don't like it though.

juunkmilk

3nd coming
i like the idea for the setting, am looking forward to seeing all the new critters
i'm disappointed by the look of the game, it feels static, lifeless, has no style. i was bothered when sprites became just concept art and lost their personality/expressions/dynamic poses, even more bothered now by the 3d taking away any even accidental style from the sharp lines of the 2d.
Spr_1b_103.png

TheRealBro..

We definitely have different opinions about gen 5 then, because I honestly think the vast majority of the Pokemon from it are fantastic, to where it perfectly balanced quality and quantity. I know I'm definitely an outlier when it comes to gen 5 though, but it's stood out as my absolute favorite for years now. I can understand where people don't like it though.

Always good to have different opinions.

I guess part of the reason why I don't like it is because Gen 1 is my favourite and many gen 5 Pokemon were copy's but different and worse for me. Bouffalant/Tauros, Throh/Sawk - Hitmonchan/Lee Patrat/Rattata and the Simi's being cheap rip-off Eeveelutions (teaching you how to use the stones). It had it's gems though, I'll give you that. The story was also very good.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Always good to have different opinions.

I guess part of the reason why I don't like it is because Gen 1 is my favourite and many gen 5 Pokemon were copy's but different and worse for me. Bouffalant/Tauros, Throh/Sawk - Hitmonchan/Lee Patrat/Rattata and the Simi's being cheap rip-off Eeveelutions (teaching you how to use the stones). It had it's gems though, I'll give you that. The story was also very good.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. Most of the "equivalents" if you call them such I actually like equal to (and in a few cases, moreso) than their old counterparts. (Gigalith is fantastic, for instance). Bouffalant is really charming to me design-wise. I also happen to love both the Hitmons and Throh/Sawk for differing reasons. You could argue though that the Patrat line is just the obligatory rodent, as every generation has had that kind of Pokemon. I actually did never see the Simis as Eeveelution counterparts, just as their own weird little trio. (Admittedly they're not my favorites in the generation, though).

And honestly? Your argument is definitely valid. I view them as their own charming creatures though and like them as their own kind of thing, though. I do think that even though there ARE some weak links, I think most of the Pokemon in the generation are absolutely fantastic. (Two of my four favorite Pokemon are Darmanitan and Lilligant). The Pokemon, the locations, the story (still the best story in the series, Sun and Moon just doesn't cut it in comparison), it all just kind of combines into what I consider some of the best Pokemon all came out with. (I think that Platinum is the closest we've gotten to a "perfect" pokemon game, but BW are still close behind as my personal favorites).

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
I like the character designs, they're not too far out there. I just hope we get some form of character customization in these games. Their outfits are a little too bland, though.
Well, some of the suburbian casual wear in Britain can be bland. The region is based off of that country anyways. I knew that Gen 8 would be based on another country like Gen 6 (X&Y).

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
The official site calls it a 'Water Lizard Pokemon' so I think it's safe to say it's based on a lizard.
Wooper is based off of the Axolotl so that's not it.
If you look closely at the tail. I'd say it would be based off of a species of Gecko. Keckleon is based off of the Amazon gecko. But what do i know, I'm not a zoologist.

paulyd84

cooltrainerpaul
My first thoughts:
-The region could possibly be my favourite yet (although I'm holding full judgement until I see all of it), the landscapes and designs of everything is just a complete yes from me.
-The starters are alright, I'm not fully sold on Grookey or Scorbunny but I'm loving Sobble.
-The building shown at the beginning of the video which I assumed was a Grass type gym has a red and blue logo on it; the same logo is on the sports kit looking outfit the character wears - maybe we'll see a change in the way gyms are done? It looks kinda like the character's going to play some kind of sport rather than the usual gym puzzle
-The sword and shield on the logos have wolf faces on them - could this be indicative that we'll see a wolf based Pokemon?

Id love battling to have a league/sponser system where you would like work your way up with a team/sponser and progress division by division till you become a top tier trainer! Just seeing that kit made me think could be something like this

TheRealBro..

The Pokemon, the locations, the story (still the best story in the series, Sun and Moon just doesn't cut it in comparison), it all just kind of combines into what I consider some of the best Pokemon all came out with. (I think that Platinum is the closest we've gotten to a "perfect" pokemon game, but BW are still close behind as my personal favorites).

Totally agreed there. Platinum is the best so far objective (my gen 1 love is 50 % nostalgia). I am therefore glad to see that this region seems to take things from the Sinnoh region. However, also as you said, Sun & Moon was a disapointment and I think this was mostly due to there being so little space to discover on your own. You were guided constantly. This was exactly what made Platinum (well, one of the things) so great; it felt very spacious. You could discover all sorts of corners and creeks. Let's hope the new games are anything like that and do not follow the Sun & Moon route! The fact that gyms are back is already a good sign.