Art Gallery Graphic Design by sb

RE: Safariblade's Art

I really like your style. It's different than that of most artists, and it's really unique. The Pokemon look very good, and you should totally continue the "Gentleman" series. (Gentleman Espeon!? D:)

safariblade designs <NEW DESIGN>

s a f a r i b l a d e d e s i g n s

i'll eat your design
the initial typography is permanent black marker on sketch paper
scanned into adobe photoshop
edited with an apple image

music is primary
several layers of glossy spray-paint in primary colors
applied to 3 broken plastic cassette mp3 adaptors
on poster-board paper & construction paper
held together by rubber cement

portugal

pen tool in adobe illustrator
that's all, folks

RE: safariblade's designs (Critique for 'I'll eat your design')

Aha, that's actually quite cool! I'm curious about the colouring filling the holes in the a, o, R, d and g though, as this colour is different from the rest of the background?

I find the random transitions between capital and lower case letters a smidge jarring, but that might just be me.

u earn bacon mark of:

b+ / 10

RE: safariblade's designs (Critique for 'I'll eat your design')

I really like how you used the texture from actual photos. Overall, very interesting design. Complementary colors are obviously working in your favor here too. My suggestions are be to look at how the letters along the sides are placed. Near the edge of the "E", the apple is turning. The "E" and "D" don't look that bad, but the Y needs to turn a bit. Tweaking those things and the other side of your design would give a nice roundness to it. You might also consider opening up the bite mark on the right side to just a bit. It almost looks like the bite mark was taken from the side of the apple facing you the way you have it now. I don't know if that was intentional. Last bit, consider an overall boarder to go around all of your apple and letters. A thin black, white, or neutral boarder. I think the piece could benefit from it.

Overall, I give it an 8.5/10.

RE: safariblade's fakemon

Bumping this with a new style of Fakemon I've been doing lately. I will add more soon.

when i come up with a name for grass/dragon i will tell you, k? c:

i'm really surprised you got all the detail from basing off of a sprite. i knew it was going to look good, but not THAT good.

Thanks! :]]]

Yeah just let me know! :]
The hardest part to get is the color, honestly, since shading on a sprite and full art is different. (Plus I really don't shade, just accent.)

DNA pointed this out to me earlier today: your art style is a lot like Paper Mario. Is this accidental or did you draw inspiration from the game's art style?

It's accidental. I've never even played that game or anything. (I know it's supposed to be amazing haha and I definitely will some day)

The style just makes it easily to get from sharpies to PS, so I use it so I can do things quickly. If I spend too much time on anything, I'll get bored of it too soon.

Hahahaha I noticed that when DNA pointed it out too :p

I'm really liking them, just when are you gonna be gettin the evo line for them?

Your art style is very cool, I love the Haunter's
I think I like the 1'st one the best

RE: safariblade designs (critique for 'music is primary')

New design for you guys to critique. (feel free to critique the first one if you haven't)

The paper you used works with this piece. The purple plays off the yellow. (complementary color) which makes it pretty visually interesting. You also did a good job on the arrangement of the tapes, because it goes in order with the color wheel. The frame around the piece does a pretty good job of leading the eye through it as well, because it touches the cassette tapes in two spots. If I had any suggestions, a diagonal placement of the cassettes might have been a good alternative to this. I also should say that turning the cassettes upside down looks pretty good, more interesting than right side up. For the medium, spray paint is hard to get right on plastic, but it doesn't look too bad. You can see the texture, not sure if it was intentional or not. If you wanted more of a smooth look, might consider layers of primer + sanding next time to smooth it out when working with a texture.

Overall, I give it a 7/10.

Thanks, SR. I'm still looking for some critique from others as well.

I like the cassettes and how they are the primary colors. I think I like it the most because primary colors are often associated with beginnings, and since cassettes were big pioneers in the music business, it makes since that they would be those colors. While I don't feel that this is bad in any way, I feel like it would be a little more interesting to the viewer if the picture was taken on the marble texture that is the outer-most currently, then the purple is the frame, and then marble again. I think it would give off a sort of "infinite mirror" sort of vibe. But honestly, in this piece I feel like whether you did this or not it would change my opinion of it. I like it, I think it's simple and nostalgic.

RE: safariblade designs <NEW DESIGN>

new image.
()()()()
734751_10200384776330779_124212573_n.jpg

Safa, those are amazing :D

You should contract with a T-Shirt Company and print these lol.

Designing tshirts and screen-printing them is a passion of mine. It's so cool to make up my own designs and then print like 10 shirts that only my friends will be able to ever have. And it's easy to sell them because people know they are so limited-edition.

f1dee01c5c4711e2947622000a9e138b_7.jpg

This is my couch where people draw stuff with Sharpie. I drew this the other day.

Back