Google Maps Offers a 'Pokemon Challenge' to Aspiring Pokemon Masters [3/31]

I called this for an April Fools' Joke the moment I saw the headline... but it really would be super awesome to randomly see Pokémon on Google Maps street view. >_>

*Watches video and gets exited*

wait-a-minute.jpg

*Reads story and notices last sentence*

Welp, they got me. gg

Actually, you can catch Pokemon on Google Maps. I have collected 20 so far.

Eevee said:
Actually, you can catch Pokemon on Google Maps. I have collected 20 so far.

I figured you could, and that the job was the joke.
Guess I'll find out after my download finishes. :D

Just downloaded the app and am totally going to try and catch all 718 of them!

EDIT: They only put 150 of them in the game. :(

Are all 150 of those actually obtainable? (I could see Google trolling by making one unobtainable to prevent any complaints about not honouring the obvious joke deal.)

Wait is there no web version of this? I don't have Android or iOS...

Are they only in certain areas? I haven't found any near me but many near Google's headquarters where it originally sends you.

Elbow said:
Are they only in certain areas? I haven't found any near me but many near Google's headquarters where it originally sends you.

This is what I'm wandering. I've only been able to find Pokémon in Santa Cruz.

EDIT: Found a Kirlia in Paris, France.

There are a whole bunch of pokemon in Tokyo, and a couple other big cities around Japan. I currently have 64 caught. There also seems to be another Pokemon Lab in Tokyo. Maybe that's where the Japanese start in their google maps?

EDIT: It turns out the Pokemon Lab in Tokyo is where TCPI headquarters are on the map.

Do you need a phone to do this? Where is the start button? I don't see how to play on my phone OR computer.

TrainerSivan said:
Do you need a phone to do this? Where is the start button? I don't see how to play on my phone OR computer.

Click the "Search" icon and a "Start Challenge" option with a blue Pokéball symbol should appear. Click it and a few Pokémon sprites should pop up near your "local Pokémon Lab."

The job is a joke? I spent all day collecting over 9000 Pokémon.

I made my own thread by accident, not realizing there was an official one already. :x

But anyway, I've caught 42 so far. A tip for those who are interested in finding them all by themselves: check out Nintendo related places, there's a few around them.

I think my phone uses an older version of android since the start option isn't there. Oh well...

Did people really think Google was offering a "Pokemon Master" job? I mean really?

Back