Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
124-giratina-lv.x.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

1. I think it has potential, but it's not that playable.
2. None that I can think of.
3. Well with Cyrus's Initiative you can lock your opponnent.
4. 2/5 stars
5. The artwork is amazing.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played. This card is a great card its attack can end the game ina couple of turns if you dont knock it out.

2. What popular metagame decks is it used in. This is good when rotation comes because claydoll is going to be rotated out.

3. What combos can you see it with? Its great with judge because it gives your oppoent four cards in there hand and when attack it they hafe to discard one.

4. I give it 4.5 starts its a great card it just can be hard to power up and darkness lost can be hard to use some times and its not very versital but its an excellent card.

5. How's the art work. Its extreme you could say

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?

Giratina definitly has potential because of its ability to use the "Let Loose" Giratina, Spread a large amount of damage and send Pokemon to the Lost Zone. The card is definitly underused in the current metagame because of its slow speed when compared to a lot of faster decks. But this card has potential in the future Metagame.

I can only see Giratina really being played with a deck of its own. If you were to use Giratina in a deck, your best bet is to hit and switch with the one of the Platinum Giratina, while attaching energy to start you 30 damage spread.

-You can use Jirachi UL as a tech to get easy prizes by develuting your opponents Pokemon with the attack "Time Hollow".

-You can use Spiritomb LA to add extra damage to your spread by using its Power "Curse Breath".

-You can use Ampharos PL to Power Lock your opponent using its Body "Damage Bind".

-You can use the new Vileplume UD to try a trainer lock its Body "Allergy Flower".

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).

I would give Giratina 3.5/5 Stars. Although this card has potential in the next format, it still stuggles against a lot of spead decks.

5. How's the artwork?

Personally I like the Promo artwork better, but I would still rate this card 4/5 stars.

1. It's not bad, it's not the best either
2. n/a
3. gengar prime (we'll just wait for the lost link cards)
4. on its own 2 stars, with a couple lost link cards, 4 stars
5. the artwork is fantasmic.

1. On its own, it isn't very good, but with certain other cards it is very useful.
2. I don't know much about the current metagame, but I don't think that it has seen much play.
3. As it can send many cards to the lost zone at a time, so it can work well with Lost World, it can also work well with cursegar because cursegar moves damage counters so that darkness lost can send a card with higher hp to the lost zone faster.
4. On it's own, maybe 1.5/5 stars, but with the other cards mentioned above, more like 4.5/5 stars.
5. It has great artwork.

1. I think that on its own, Giratina lv. X isn't very versatile. For four energies, it only does thirty to each of your opponent's pokemon. Not very useful against a powereful opponent like a Torterra. But it could do decently depending on the Giratina it leveled up from.
2. I cannot say this because I do not play the metagame.
3. giratina would work well with pokemon that spread damage, like Blastoise Pl. It's double launcher attack could make a K.O. with Darkness lost come much faster. Or you could use Honchrow from Supreme Victors. With Darkness Restore, its Poke-Power, you could fill the opponents bench with low health basic pokemon easily knocked out by Darkness Lost.
4. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5 on the fact that it can defend itself decently, has good health, and works very well in a team.
5. I love how Giratina is shooting out, tentacles extended, and the background looks like a reverse world portal. 5 of 5.

1. it has potential, but It doesn't have the support. It's just good enough to get notice though.
2. Maybe a couple rogue lost zone decks. Nothing more.
3. Flygon Lv.X, anything that can disrupt.
4. 3/5. Nothing spectacular.
5. 5/5 Really cool, I think it's amazing.

Not a lot to say about this. Just not a very interesting card.

I like this card. This can be really fun to play with.

Just being in play, Giratina brings disruption, as each time your opponent attacks, they must make a difficult choice, letting go of a card from their hand. In the Pokemon TCG, the principle of Card Advantage certainly applies. How does the principle of Card Advantage work? In summary:

He who has the most cards, has the most options. He who has the most options, has an advantage. To this end, a deck does better by maintaining a consistent draw engine, to steadily maintain a card advantage.

The phrase was coined in the Magic: The Gathering days, and it's still a good principle. Here is how Giratina factors into this principle: Invisible Tentacles forces your opponent to discard a card to attack. If they have no cards, they can't attack. They're already drawing one card a turn, so to maintain consistency, their draw engine has to be phenomenal, enough to compensate for the one card a turn that they are losing. And unless they have cards that can get cards back from the discard pile, each card they discard will leave them with one fewer option.

In light of this, a battle against Giratina lv X isn't a battle that you want to drag on. Even worse, Invisible Tentacles works from the bench, so a person can put up a defensive powerhouse to waste their opponent's cards over the course of several turns. Giratina lv X is made for wars of attrition. One card it goes well with is Flygon lv X. Use Flygon RR's Rainbow Float to get Giratina lv X on the bench for free, and Wind Erosion will add to the cards that your opponent will lose every turn.

The Giratina card I like playing this with is PT #10. The recent reintroduction of Double Colorless Energy means a turn one Over Slash, and a turn two 60 with Wrack Down. Level it up, and you have a potential turn three Darkness Lost, which does 30 to everything on your opponent's side. A damage potential of 180, and sending anything KOed by it to the Lost Zone is scary, and well worth the high cost.

Great card, let's kill it. When you're up against Invisible Tentacles, you'll want either something that can eliminate Giratina fast, something that invalidates Pokebodies, or a rather secure bathing suit. The bathing suit won't help you in Pokemon cards, so we're going to need a strategy. Condensed, that strategy is called, Dialga G lv X. Play it, and Giratina loses it's good selling point. A lot of people don't like my dependency on Dialga G lv X. Well, I don't like people's dependency on PokeBodies, so deal. Nidoqueen ruins much of Giratina's sweeping capabilities, and Machamp SF murders this card in a manner that's cheap and victimizing. Didn't we lose Unown G in rotation? That's a shame. Just a word of caution if you're playing Dialga G, Giratina pairs well with Flygon lv X, and that will smash Dialga G lv X. Aside from all this, a strong Dark type attack will lay Giratina lv X out flat, and one of my favorites is Absol G.

Giratina lv X from Platinum gets a score of 3 out of 5.

Nice PokeBody, but high attack and retreat costs hamper it. Does well with assistance from other pokemon, though.

Guiding questions:
I feel that is very playable, no matter how slow it may be. I run this card in plenty of decks and rip my opponent to bits using Darkness lost and a lot of times the un-leveled versions attacks. You can speed it up with D-Colorless, you can spread 30 and Lost Zone discards for Lost Stadium, and Tentacle your opponent's hand.
I honestly don't know any but I can probably make one.
You can speed it with Double-Colorless, you can give free retreat with Unleashed Metagross, you can move around Energies with Unleashed Mismagius or Platinum Gardevoir.
4.5/5. Being a Legendary, It is kinda slow, but when you power it up, it can decimate.
5. How's the artwork?
I think that the artwork is absolutely awesome. 5/5

1. Well, on its own its Darkness Lost can do a lot of damage, within a couple turns it'll have knocked out whatever basic Pokemon are resting on the bench, waiting to be evolved... That'll give you some prize cards to start. Also, it might discourage the opponent to attack. The only problem is the energy cost. Of course, we've got to remember that it's on top of a regular Giratina, so you could use the regular Giratina's attacks while building up energy.

2. I'm afraid I don't really know what you're talking about with this question.

3. Well, you've got Double Colorless to fill in those 2 colorlesses(also useful for many regular Giratinas). You can also throw in a Leafeon LV.X for its Energy Forcing(and some Energy Searches). Then, if Giratina LV.X is about to be knocked out, use Strafe, bring in Leafeon LV.X and use Verdant Dance. Bam! 90 damage!

4. I'd give it 5/5 stars. Its PokeBody is great and its Darkness Lost can wipe out basics on the bench for good.

5. I'm not sure if I'm judging at a too low scale, but like all LV.Xes, this artwork is fantastic.

1. On its own its to slow meens not playable.

2. There is no deck I can think of.

3. There is one way you can play it very fast: Drifblim SF and
Guardevoir PT. By using Drifblims lifting you can search out a Ralts a
Giratina and two energies. Next turn you play the Gurdevoir, retreat
the Drifblim for Giratina, move the energy to it and play the lv X.
All you have to do now is to play a DCE and attack with Darkness Lot.

4. 5\5 Because if you play it right its fast, strong and constant. sa^

5. 5\5 The artwork is absolutly awesome.

Lucario2 said:
1. On its own its to slow meens not playable.

4. 5\5 Because if you play it right its fast, strong and constant.
Oops? Its not good because its slow, but it can be fast? People are a bit more resourceful than you think. Some players will play a card to death simply to dismiss it.

This guy is not fun on his own. As I recall, his basic does a maximum of 60 damage (DCE allowed). The only added effect is lost zoning on remove. That already means that he is not a very good card on his own. He is clunky and overall poor. He is basic, but does not function with the SP engine. By the time you'll have one of these guys out, your opponent will have a method to KO him.

The Body is actually worse than how people reguard it. It gives the facade that you're damaging your opponent. You can let loose them to 4, weavile(?) them to 3, cyrus them to 1 (if your lucky). You need to hope your opponent doesn't have a way to draw. Even then, they won't ever be in the draw-pass mode. If their draw is worth playing, they'll drop it. If not, they would save it for later, or attack (discarding it). This format is filled with decks that play judge/copycat/PONT/uxie. You will rarely use this guy to lock down your opponent. He simply cannot be played for his body

His attack is sub par as well. For P P C C, he does 30, spread. This would be fine, but I cannot find another giratina that spreads decently. The Lost Zone does help, but if you can only KO Uxies and Azelfs (and THAT takes 3 turns, or 2 + bats). The attack takes 3 turns to set up, and takes another 3 turns to be useful. That's SIX turns. You won't be locking your opponent in that time with this guy alone, so he really won't be of much use.

None at all. This guy is too slow to be in the metagame. This format is dominated by 1 energy attackers (and SP). It is slowing down a bit, but we need to go at a snail's pace to make this guy decent.

This guy can be used (I GUESS) with a few cards. Weavile UD comes to mind. Weavile UD let's you discard a card from your opponent's hand. It will slow their game down, and give you hope to do damage with Giratina X's body. Metagross SV is a decent tech in a deck around this guy (if you care to play him). Metagross SV reduces max HP accross the board by 20. This means that its easier to lost Zone with Tina's attack. Crobat G and poketurns also help a lot.

Sadly, this guy is only good for his body (even then...). Now that Moonlight is gone, he needs a heavy warp point, warp energy, and switch line to be good.

Once again, Tina X is very slow, and nearly unplayable. He gives the illusion of hurting your opponent with his body, but it will never become unbearable for your opponent. If you're lucky, you might prevent a few attacks, but it would rarely come to that. They have to make a few educated decisions on what to discard, but that is the only thing you'll get from Tina X. I'll give it 2/5

5. How's the artwork?
I've never loved Shizurow. This card is a bit too showy for me. I'd rather something that looks sneaky, as that's what this guy is. Tina has never been so in-your-face as a character. Still looks decent though. 3/5

1: It would be great if it would'nt cost so much energy. It takes 3 turns to load it with DCE and 4 without.
2: None... I guess
3: Jirachi UL and Metagross SV. Electrivire FB lv.X also makes it faster.
4: On its own it can't do anything, but its great with some other card. 4/5
5: Nothing special. 3/5

5. How's the artwork?

1. I don't think it can stand on it's own..,and even if Giratina's attack seems amazing I feel as if it's just to slow. But it does have potential I believe you can add it with Flygon Lv.X, simply discarding a card from your opponent's deck every turn, and having them discard a card from their hand when attempting to attack seems awesome in my opinion. The only problem is getting Giratina back to the bench..? :O
2. I don't believe it's in any metagame decks at the moment
3. As I stated before, Flygon Lv.X I would use Giratina Lv.X as a tech.
4. 3/5.. hmm I feel as if even if you can possibly get Giratina LV.X on the bench Luxray GL Lv.X can just disrupt it.. =/
5. Love the artwork :D 9/10

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or has potential? Is it worth playing?

Giratina Lv.X is kind of decent on its own. Its Poke-body, Invisible Tentacles, forces your opponent to discard a card from their hand whenever they want to attack. This can create quite some hand disruption considering the fact the body becomes quite an obstacle as the opponent tries to attack. Its attack can do 30 to each of your opponent's Pokemon as well. If any get knocked out by the attack, they go to the Lost Zone, where they can not be recovered for the remainder of the match. Certainly, his attack can be one evil spread attack if used right. Sadly though, it takes time to set up, and it has a heavy retreat. Still, it looks like Giratina Lv.X can be good on its own, and it may be worth playing.

As of now, some Sablelock have seem to be using the Lv.X surprisingly. Basically, since the deck is often about hand disruption, Giratina Lv.X happens to add to it. Giratina is often there just to sit on the opponent's bench and cause the opponent to keep discarding cards from there hand if they ever want to attack, causing some good disruption to occur. Other than a few Sablelocks, Giratina isn't really used a lot in today's metagame.

This is kind of a tough call. I can imagine testing out Giratina with another good spreader of some sort; probably with Gallade 4 I guess. Hit 10 to all of the your opponent's Pokemon using the power, and the use Giratina to start spreading. Of course, there can be other good spreaders Giratina could be good with too, and as for the body, like as it is used in the metagame, I would use it in a deck that involves hand disruption (not just Sablelock).

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you would give it that rating.

I would give Giratina Lv.X a 2.5/5. Sure Giratina can be pretty annoying because of the body, and it can have a deadly spread attack, but there are problems with Giratina that make it rather hard to use in today's metagame. These problems include that Giratina has a heavy retreat cost that makes it hard when it is active. It is also not a fast attacker, and now cards like Nidoqueen and Garchomp C can easily get rid of its spread. Yet, one advantage Giratina Lv.X has is that it does have resistance to Garchomp, so this can be plus at least.

5. How's the artwork?

Honestly, I really don't like the Platinum version artwork of Giratina Lv.X that much. Giratina looks a bit too long if you ask me, and the face looks a bit odd for a Giratina. However, the promo version does have better artwork compared to this one.

1. It has potential but needs more power. Its Pokeability has mondo annoyingness with your opponent.

2. Dunno

3. ?

4. It is an ok card needs more attack power though. 3/5

5. Beautiful

Giratina LvX has been a pet project of mine for quite a while now, and I've found it to be quite deadly. Standing Alone, its colossal 130 HP and resitance to Normal means that its a potent wall to get over, and its 'Body causes advantage to you. While it will never realistically lock your opponent down, it forces them to use two to three cards, simply to get over it. When paired with 'Let Loose' Giratine, it limits the opponents options drastically, depending on what draw cards they use of course. PONT and Uxie negate this advantage, but it would have likely been short lived anyway.

Dark weakness is okay, since even Absol G LvX can only hit for 120 with super effective (Belt makes it an OHKO, but lets discount that for now), which requires 2 Cards from the hand to do, and then another next turn to KO 'tina.

Personally, after a bit of testing, I found that Giratina LvX really shines as a final pokemon to use. Keeping it on your bench for the whole match is possible, and very rewarding. In the late game, Darkness Lost is very potent, makes many important KOs and nets many Prizes. Since its been taking cards from your opponent all game, its disadvantaged the opponent greatly, even just by making them lose spare cards, and along with the damage thats been done over the game, an ending by Giratina X is very possible.

Currently, he isn't featured in any meta decks, except for the occasional tech into Sablelock, but this may change upon the arrival of Gengar Prime and Lost Stadium. Gengar needs one {P} to start rolling, so it would be a perfectly viable strategy to stack your other energy onto Giratina, allowing for a last ditch effort to make six pokemon in the Lost Zone if needed. Its even possible that it gets its time in the spotlight, using Bat drops, Metagross SV and so on to attempt to Slaughter its way through the bench, all the while using other Lost Zone cards to gain access to Lost Stadium.

Combowise, I see many ways of making this card work. Metagross SV is a must, because while it does lower the Survival time of 'Tina X, it does turn 3HKOs into 2HKOs. Azelf and Uxie on the bench get knocked down to 50hp and most base form SPs have around 80hp, allowing for a clean sweep on the bench of anyone whos unprepared for it. Ampharos HGSS can quicken its set up with Accereration Bolt, and Celebi Prime and Pachirisu from Triumphant can also do so (all by fulfilling its Colourless Requirements). Metang UN is a good partner, since it can load Giratina with {P}{P}, evolve into Metagross SV, and throw a DCE manually onto it for a T3 Giratina X. Switch, Warp Energy and Warp Point are needed in some combination, and make Setting up Giratina a lot easier.

In terms of a rating, I can only give it a 2.5/5 although it deserves much more. It is a truely monstrous pokemon, with amazing potential, but it just isn't viable in this meta. For now, at least...

The Artwork is one of my favourites for a LvX, and I display it proudly on the front page of my binder. 4.5/5

5. How's the artwork?

1. Not so good. I use it with brutal edge giratina as its base.

2. I see it being popular with lost stadium. Just KO 2 stage 2 and you win.

3. I use it with glaceon lv x to stop uxie and other annoying poke powers. Also partnered with drifblim fb for bench damage, and ambipom from triumphant to remove cards from their hand. As well as cyrus's initiative and rocket's trickery. Metagross as well for free retreat, or metang for energy retreival/stacking. It's a real come from behind kinda move set.

4. 4 out of 5. If it did 60 to the active and 20 to benched instead, it would get alot more KO's. Or if plus powers and black belts amplified all damage, not just to active.

5 as another user said, the promo looks better, but it's still great. They didn't try to cutesy up that creepy looking spider rhyno with wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back