Discussion Giratina EX

King of Dragons

I just hang around for reasons
Giratina EX HP170

Ability: Rebellious Wave
Prevent all effects of attacks including damage done to this Pokemon by your opponent's Mega Pokemon

(G)(P)(C)(C) Chaos Veil: 100 damage. During your opponent's next turn, he or she can't play any Pokemon Tool, Special Energy, and Stadium Cards from his or her hand.

Thoughts?

I think it can be a potential tech for decks that can't fend off against Coleross M Rayquaza and M Sceptile and it's attack can be used with DDE for a decent lock.

NintendoAlian

Frontier Brain
I honestly think that Giratina is being over-hyped. Trust me, my favorite game is Platinum so I want it to be good, but even with Double Dragon energy, it's attack takes too many energy and dosen't do enough damage. I mean of course Tools, Special Energy, and Stadiums are important, but are is it really worth using a 3-4 energy attack to lock those for only 100?

starocean01

Aspiring Trainer
I really like this card, I think there's a lot of potential in a meta where megas are so popular. It'll be a great alternate attacker in dragon decks with muscle band, dde and dce. It can do 120dmg + being a wall and lock for 2 attachments is pretty strong imo.

I1lucky

Your local Infernape
It IS going to be used with vileplume as the most annoying deck to exist and you guys thought just a plain item lock was bad... I'm going to try and make a Mr. T deck that can stop this by taking 3 hits from Giratina before dying and then heal with center lady

hiltzy85

Aspiring Trainer
It IS going to be used with vileplume as the most annoying deck to exist and you guys thought just a plain item lock was bad... I'm going to try and make a Mr. T deck that can stop this by taking 3 hits from Giratina before dying and then heal with center lady

what difference does it make how many hits M Tyranitar can take from Giratina EX if Giratina is immune to damage from M Tyranitar?

GarBearTheMighty

Growing Trainer
He looks pretty interesting, I could see Giritina as tech in some decks but his lock is not good enough to have a deck centered around him.

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
I think he will be great tech into tool box decks. I could see a fairy box deck that exploits him just for his ability when safeguard pokemon rotate out. Maybe add two DDE so he can attack as well. He is a good replacement for Suicine in those types of decks.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
This card will be a very good card, Its energy requirements are not that bad and paired with Vileplume the special energy on Girantina EX will be safe. Its funny before Seismitoad EX came out there were many people that thought the card was weak because of the small 30 damage the attack deals, the card turned out to be one of the best and most dominating cards in the format. I think Girantina EX will be similar and people will brush it off as a weak card until someone finds a good match for it and it will then become part of one of the best decks in the format.

Hornleach1

Aspiring Trainer
This card will be the end of all life in the TCG. Nothing will be capable of beating back the Vileplume/Giratina lock long enough to strike back. To combat this card speed and strength is required that is not currently available in this format.

ejorange

Aspiring Trainer
Gardevoir may become more popular again just to combat this; Regular Gardevoir ex one-hit-kos the Giratina and it just needs a simple 3 Energy, so items wouldn't be too necessary, especially if a Xerneas can Geomancy. Actually, Xerneas One-hit-kos Giratina too with Rainbow Spear

jaredtheunseen

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not a huge fan of Giratina EX's ability. It is handy, but the problem is that every deck that centers around Mega evolutions will have the basic EX to deal with Giratina EX. Giratina EX isn't going to be as relevant a card to anticipate and counter, compared to Sigilyph/Suicune. Many competitive decks have played some non-EX attacker in order to deal with Suicune/Sigilyph.

The attack is pretty good though. I've wanted Plasma Froslass to work for a long time, and Giratina EX is probably the best way to stop your opponent from attaching special energies while actually dealing damage.

Ultragunner

Aspiring Trainer
This card + Reshiram (Turbo Blaze) + Dragon Mega Ray...

Stall while you power up Dragon M-Ray hitting 100 per turn knocking out almost anything in 2 turns. Add muscle band even better....

Voxel

Aspiring Trainer
Gardevoir may become more popular again just to combat this; Regular Gardevoir ex one-hit-kos the Giratina and it just needs a simple 3 Energy, so items wouldn't be too necessary, especially if a Xerneas can Geomancy. Actually, Xerneas One-hit-kos Giratina too with Rainbow Spear
Ah, happy days to be a Fairy type user. Don't forget, Florges will be able to OHKO with just 2 energy. (Some days I run 1 of these in my deck just for variety and supporter draw.)

Talkingcat

Aspiring Trainer
Ah, happy days to be a Fairy type user. Don't forget, Florges will be able to OHKO with just 2 energy. (Some days I run 1 of these in my deck just for variety and supporter draw.)

I just ordered 4 Florges EX from Troll & Toad, I believe they were $2.79 each.

Gonna hunt me some Giratana.

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
Giratina EX + Vileplume was also a combination that seemed pretty good to me, but then there's Pyroar, which would be devastating. And I think Pyroar will be popular again thanks to Color-Drained City, which will deal with his Arch Enemies, Also with Level Ball, Wally and maybe Volcarona there's great draw support.

Overall I'm not utterly impressed by Giratina EX, a Hawlucha would probably be the end of him as well. It's attack just takes too many energy...

Last edited:

Blui

lv85 paladin
I personally dislike the card, 4 Energy is a very steep cost and in a format where X-Ball style attacks will be viable doesn't feel good. It also is very poor against Metal decks as Dialga and Aegislash deal with Giratina very easily.

Then there's the veil surrounding the Ability, blocking Megas sure is powerful, but I think people are forgetting that plenty of the non-Evolved Megas are fine. Something like Sceptile will give Giratina nightmares because of the low attack cost and high damage output. Gardevoir will tear it to shreds because of the Weakness, and if the Giratina players play Shadow Circle in response, Gardevoir can very easily tech in Paint Rollers to toss it aside and OHKO anyway.

And if worse comes to worst, Mega players can simply run Hex Maniac to get over Giratina's Ability. It's extremely overrated.

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
I think it is going to be a tier 2 deck. But a Mega Gardevoir deck with a florges and a couple of hex maniacs are gonna shut it down in a heartbeat. Especially if you are running a zard ex or something for metal tech. Now fairy with fire tech will likely become the standard.

Serpens

Aspiring Trainer
Fairy decks run 4 Fairy Garden and maybe even 1 Xerosic.
If you manage to charge the attack fast enough, they won't get a chance to play their counterstadium, and Xerosic isn't that much of a problem, beacause... Well, there's only one, sometimes two of it in a deck(Who runs four Xerosic, I'm asking?) and with Vileplume they can't use vs Seekers.