Discussion Giratina EX

People are forgetting using Giratina with vileplume, giant plant forrest, Unown, Hydreigon ex and Hoopa Ex, and maybe Shaymin. Just making a deck based on non item card draw power and just about any deck will have serious problems.

If you manage to charge the attack fast enough, they won't get a chance to play their counterstadium, and Xerosic isn't that much of a problem, beacause... Well, there's only one, sometimes two of it in a deck(Who runs four Xerosic, I'm asking?) and with Vileplume they can't use vs Seekers.
That makes sense, but you are only doing 120 damage max with Giratina, and that's on Turn 2. Sure, you can get the Turn 1 item lock, but you aren't doing any damage that turn. Many decks today, like Seismitoad, Manectric Variants, anything fairy, and even Primal Groudon can do stuff within the first 2/3 turns while the Giratina player sets up.
Also, how would the Giratina player overcome Aegislash-EX, Dialga-EX's Chrono wind, and even Pyroar?

I personally dislike the card, 4 Energy is a very steep cost and in a format where X-Ball style attacks will be viable doesn't feel good. It also is very poor against Metal decks as Dialga and Aegislash deal with Giratina very easily.

Then there's the veil surrounding the Ability, blocking Megas sure is powerful, but I think people are forgetting that plenty of the non-Evolved Megas are fine. Something like Sceptile will give Giratina nightmares because of the low attack cost and high damage output. Gardevoir will tear it to shreds because of the Weakness, and if the Giratina players play Shadow Circle in response, Gardevoir can very easily tech in Paint Rollers to toss it aside and OHKO anyway.

And if worse comes to worst, Mega players can simply run Hex Maniac to get over Giratina's Ability. It's extremely overrated.
Yes there are obvious counters to this card because if not, it'll be broken and make the game stale. Mixing Giant Plant Forest which this deck will most certainly play to get a T1 Vileplume with Shadow Circle seems inconsistent at best. And yes Hex Maniac might be 1-2 of in all decks.

That being said, I neither take part in whether "it's gonna be good" or "it's overhyped." I may be a little biased but I think there's potential for this card. I say just wait and see. But if Pyroar makes a comeback, I'll be super happy. HypnoGym just might rotate and maybe the lion will have a chance to shine. Aegislash EX is now on the map so anything is possible.

I honestly think that Giratina is being over-hyped. Trust me, my favorite game is Platinum so I want it to be good, but even with Double Dragon energy, it's attack takes too many energy and dosen't do enough damage. I mean of course Tools, Special Energy, and Stadiums are important, but are is it really worth using a 3-4 energy attack to lock those for only 100?
Well, you could pair Giratina EX with Mega Sceptile EX to power it up quickly, (and to heal it Giratina after it's taken some punishment) and then attack with giratina with a vileplume in play. Note that Giratina's ability doesn't stop effects of attacks from YOUR mega evolved Pokemon.

Gardevoir may become more popular again just to combat this; Regular Gardevoir ex one-hit-kos the Giratina and it just needs a simple 3 Energy, so items wouldn't be too necessary, especially if a Xerneas can Geomancy. Actually, Xerneas One-hit-kos Giratina too with Rainbow Spear
How true. Although, you can't damage Giratina with Mega Gardy, but still, you don't need it. Plus, gardevoir fairies is a deck that doesn't function too badly under item lock. And because of Giratina's high attack cost, you can usually lysandre and kill it before it rears its ugly head.

I think it is going to be a tier 2 deck. But a Mega Gardevoir deck with a florges and a couple of hex maniacs are gonna shut it down in a heartbeat. Especially if you are running a zard ex or something for metal tech. Now fairy with fire tech will likely become the standard.
Don't forget, Hex Maniac will shut off Fairy Transfer.

This card will be the end of all life in the TCG. Nothing will be capable of beating back the Vileplume/Giratina lock long enough to strike back. To combat this card speed and strength is required that is not currently available in this format.
Don't forget, if there's still expanded next year, wait for it, wait for it....Exeggutor PLF/Vileplume AOR/Giant Plant Forest.

How true. Although, you can't damage Giratina with Mega Gardy, but still, you don't need it. Plus, gardevoir fairies is a deck that doesn't function too badly under item lock. And because of Giratina's high attack cost, you can usually lysandre and kill it before it rears its ugly head.

Don't forget, Hex Maniac will shut off Fairy Transfer.

Don't forget, if there's still expanded next year, wait for it, wait for it....Exeggutor PLF/Vileplume AOR/Giant Plant Forest.
No no no, you did it wrong. Eggs/Vileplume/Nintales PLC. Shut off every trainer card.

That makes sense, but you are only doing 120 damage max with Giratina, and that's on Turn 2. Sure, you can get the Turn 1 item lock, but you aren't doing any damage that turn. Many decks today, like Seismitoad, Manectric Variants, anything fairy, and even Primal Groudon can do stuff within the first 2/3 turns while the Giratina player sets up.
Also, how would the Giratina player overcome Aegislash-EX, Dialga-EX's Chrono wind, and even Pyroar?

I said so in my post, hydreigon goes through all of those, as well as two giving free retreat.

If you manage to charge the attack fast enough, they won't get a chance to play their counterstadium, and Xerosic isn't that much of a problem, beacause... Well, there's only one, sometimes two of it in a deck(Who runs four Xerosic, I'm asking?) and with Vileplume they can't use vs Seekers.

"If you manage to attach 4 energy then your extremely potent stadium count won't even matter bruh". I want you to think about that statement. I don't think Giratina EX will be anything more than a tech, and if it ACTUALLY becomes a stand alone deck Hawlucha usage will just sky rocket because then he'll have 2 great tech capabilities (retreat and destroying Giratina lock decks). As some people have already said, the card is just being over hyped. What happens if your enemy isn't using a Mega deck? You have a Pokemon that hits for 100 damage for 4 energy. What happens if your enemy has 2 or 3 Silent Lab and places them before the large 4 energy cost is placed? What happens if you just get rushed by Rayquaza EX that can do 60 damage to EX's for 1 energy? Any fast deck can out do Giratina/Vileplume. I strongly believe Giratina EX will be nothing more than a tech. Stop acting like it's the apocalypse of the TCG meta.

"If you manage to attach 4 energy then your extremely potent stadium count won't even matter bruh". I want you to think about that statement. I don't think Giratina EX will be anything more than a tech, and if it ACTUALLY becomes a stand alone deck Hawlucha usage will just sky rocket because then he'll have 2 great tech capabilities (retreat and destroying Giratina lock decks). As some people have already said, the card is just being over hyped. What happens if your enemy isn't using a Mega deck? You have a Pokemon that hits for 100 damage for 4 energy. What happens if your enemy has 2 or 3 Silent Lab and places them before the large 4 energy cost is placed? What happens if you just get rushed by Rayquaza EX that can do 60 damage to EX's for 1 energy? Any fast deck can out do Giratina/Vileplume. I strongly believe Giratina EX will be nothing more than a tech. Stop acting like it's the apocalypse of the TCG meta.

Runing four DDE and DCE basically makes it two energy and item lock prevents hammers. You can easily stall a turn with the item lock in check with so many decks being item heavy. It will be played.

Runing four DDE and DCE basically makes it two energy and item lock prevents hammers. You can easily stall a turn with the item lock in check with so many decks being item heavy. It will be played.

So then people tech Aegislash. There are so many different cards that just straight up counter the idea of Giratina EX/Vileplume that if it ever got popular, then it'd instantly become unused. Also, what do you think a mirror match of Giratina EX/Vileplume would look like? If you think Seismitoad EX/Shaymin EX before the trump card ban was stally, this mirror would probably not even finish 1 game.

giratina/reshiram/4 crawdaunt, when crawdaunt evolves from your hand you may discard and energy card attached to your opponents active pokemon. I'm also certain this deck will play weakness policy and a bunch of AZ and this deck will be discarding energy off of your fairy deck for days.

So then people tech Aegislash. There are so many different cards that just straight up counter the idea of Giratina EX/Vileplume that if it ever got popular, then it'd instantly become unused. Also, what do you think a mirror match of Giratina EX/Vileplume would look like? If you think Seismitoad EX/Shaymin EX before the trump card ban was stally, this mirror would probably not even finish 1 game.
Did you not read what i said? Hydreigon goes through aegislash ability with shred. No problem.

Did you not read what i said? Hydreigon goes through aegislash ability with shred. No problem.

Yeah, because doing 70 for 3 energy will definitely deal with a 170 HP Pokemon. Aegislash can kill Hydreigon faster then Hydreigon can kill it. And if you switch into another, your opponent can just switch to another Aegislash. Plus by the time all of this happens, you would have wasted a lot of your DDE on trying to get through Aegislash. Hydreigon won't help you against anyone who knows how to play the game well enough to play around the 70 damage. (And even with muscle band, then you need to hope you can go in with it after the Aegislash, which you always can't count on).

Yeah, because doing 70 for 3 energy will definitely deal with a 170 HP Pokemon. Aegislash can kill Hydreigon faster then Hydreigon can kill it. And if you switch into another, your opponent can just switch to another Aegislash. Plus by the time all of this happens, you would have wasted a lot of your DDE on trying to get through Aegislash. Hydreigon won't help you against anyone who knows how to play the game well enough to play around the 70 damage. (And even with muscle band, then you need to hope you can go in with it after the Aegislash, which you always can't count on).
Its 80, and itll be two energies with doubles, and how will a metal deck with aegislash, dialga and bronzong function without switch and keldeo rotating?

Its 80, and itll be two energies with doubles, and how will a metal deck with aegislash, dialga and bronzong function without switch and keldeo rotating?

80 still needs 3 hits to kill. And wasting two DDE's on a counter Pokemon is just bad. You'd be doing more damage to yourself by wasting your resources, which will make it harder to set up your Giratina EX (remember, once they're gone, they're gone. No trump card anymore). And no one said it would have to be the Standard Aegislash, Dialga, Bronzong metal deck. Mega Ray/Bronzong used Aeigslash, do you think you'll be able to deal with that kind of speed and walling? Also, some people expect Pyroar to come back because of Wally and Level Ball reprint, you think Giratine EX/Vileplume can even try to deal with that with just Hydreigon? Using 2 DDE's to get 2 hit KO's on a 1 prize Pokemon, only for anther to come and revenge kill you. Then there goes your 2 DDE's of the deck. Are you just gonna use the other 2 on another Hydreigon and make Giratina useless? Hydreigon wastes too much of the decks resources to be a reliable check for stuff like Aegislash and Pyroar, which can generally just come out faster and do more damage.

80 still needs 3 hits to kill. And wasting two DDE's on a counter Pokemon is just bad. You'd be doing more damage to yourself by wasting your resources, which will make it harder to set up your Giratina EX (remember, once they're gone, they're gone. No trump card anymore). And no one said it would have to be the Standard Aegislash, Dialga, Bronzong metal deck. Mega Ray/Bronzong used Aeigslash, do you think you'll be able to deal with that kind of speed and walling? Also, some people expect Pyroar to come back because of Wally and Level Ball reprint, you think Giratine EX/Vileplume can even try to deal with that with just Hydreigon? Using 2 DDE's to get 2 hit KO's on a 1 prize Pokemon, only for anther to come and revenge kill you. Then there goes your 2 DDE's of the deck. Are you just gonna use the other 2 on another Hydreigon and make Giratina useless? Hydreigon wastes too much of the decks resources to be a reliable check for stuff like Aegislash and Pyroar, which can generally just come out faster and do more damage.
Why mention Level Ball when those would just be dead cards under Item lock?

It's okay.
I think building a deck around it will be difficult and if you did it it would probably suck unless it's GiraPlume which seems okay.
Locking a stadium into place is not very good as an attack when you could just do the same thing with Ninetales.

Why mention Level Ball when those would just be dead cards under Item lock?

So you assume that turn one you'll have VilePlume will be up and running? Even with Big Plant Forest that's along shot. There's also Wobbufett, which can be easily teched into any deck. The reason that VilePlume variants won't be as great as Seismitoad ones were (which is good, because Seismitoad use to be stupidly broken before the Trump ban) is because Abilities can be blocked out pretty easily, where as with Seismitoad to stop the lock it took either killing it or getting rid of it's energy. This usually took a supporter because items were almost always locked as soon as they could attack (99% the first turn the game would let them because they just ran through the deck to find DCE's). Vileplume will rarely be able to be set up turn 1 without a strict number on all the cards it needs to do so (3-4 for all of them) which would take up a very large amount of space. So I think it's fair to mention item cards for this deck because there WILL be turns to play them. The fact is that this deck will be a much softer item lock than what the likes of Seismitoad was.

So you assume that turn one you'll have VilePlume will be up and running? Even with Big Plant Forest that's along shot. There's also Wobbufett, which can be easily teched into any deck. The reason that VilePlume variants won't be as great as Seismitoad ones were (which is good, because Seismitoad use to be stupidly broken before the Trump ban) is because Abilities can be blocked out pretty easily, where as with Seismitoad to stop the lock it took either killing it or getting rid of it's energy. This usually took a supporter because items were almost always locked as soon as they could attack (99% the first turn the game would let them because they just ran through the deck to find DCE's). Vileplume will rarely be able to be set up turn 1 without a strict number on all the cards it needs to do so (3-4 for all of them) which would take up a very large amount of space. So I think it's fair to mention item cards for this deck because there WILL be turns to play them. The fact is that this deck will be a much softer item lock than what the likes of Seismitoad was.
I'm sure someone will find a way to set up a T1 Vileplume. Have you been living under a Golem for the past month? People are finding decks that theoretically can have Grass Pokemon setup on T1.

I agree with you about the Ability lock and not denying it. But I feel that a T1 Item lock will really hurt decks because, what are your chances of having a Hex Maniac in your first hand? Yes Wobbuffet decks can give this deck a struggle but he can't fit in everydeck. Hex Manic is probably the only universal counter to Abilities and I think it'll be a 1-off or a 2 at most. There's really no space to run 4 unless you are having an anti-meta deck.

Back