Future Metagame Speculation Thread

RE: The Official Future Metagame Speculation Thread

TrainerNaru said:
MDL said:
Top 5 cards:
Number 1: Ghetsis - I think this card will either be great or very bad. I'm betting on the second option. Why? Because it's easy to play around (if you expect your opponent to play Ghetsis, just play your trainers immediately), and you can benefit from it when your opponent uses it against you (like getting useless trainers off the hand so you can draw more with Bianca, or you don't want to discard certain trainers with Juniper).

Number 2: Tornadus EX - This card has soooo much potential. However, it's an EX with a crappy second attack that will just sit on your bench for the whole game, so it might not be very good.

Number 3: Mr. Mime - Yes, Mr. Mime. His ability is very good with all the Darkrai and Landorus EX sniping. It can win you the game easily. Don't underestimate this card as a tech.

Number 4: Super Energy Retrieval - Blastoise will absolutely love this card. I can't wait for it to come out.

Number 5: Frozen City - This card can be good. It just depends on Lugia, basically. If Lugia is good, this card is beast. If Lugia isn't worth it, this card won't be good.

Special mentions: Keckleon is the perfect Mewtwo counter for Blastoise (or any deck that uses DCE). It only gives up one prize! Mewtwo might see a decrease in play.
Electrode might find a place in Blastoise, because when those N's to 1/2 occur, those extra cards might win you the game.
I don't see Thundurus EX or Deoxys EX making any kind of impact in the game. Thundurus EX basically wastes you 1 turn of attacking to get back a Special Energy, while you get hit by your opponent. Deoxys EX just doesn't seem worth it.

The metagame won't change a lot after these sets come out IMO. It will basically be Darkrai VS Blastoise IMO. Of course that some other stuff will see play, but I don't think this set makes any big change to the metagame.

mate how can you play around a ghetsis that happends turn one? just think about it
getting every trainer in your opening hand back into your deck now all that is left to do is play your one supporter of the turn
i can see elektrik gettin slammed by ghetsis and the late game potential is insane
and Thundurus ex first attack is actully pretty decent 30 dmg is not bad for one energy and then spam energy onto a lugia ex or something

turn 1 would be thundurus ex just dealing 30 dmg and hopefully you've gotten energies in the discard then attach it to lugia ! :) or some other attacker
and with colres machine lugia should be ready to go by turn 2
i for one think that is kinda sick
and turn 2 just keep on charging your pokemon!
then slam your oppnent to the ground with lugia ex :D

How do you play around Ghetsis? You use your trainers. Simple as that. So what if it happens T1? The probabilities of that happening is so low, because you would have to go first and have the Ghetsis in hand. Unless you play 4 Ghetsis (which is bad). You probably helped your opponent if you play a Ghetsis on the first turn. Imagine it's a Darkrai Deck and his hand is: 3 not trainer cards, a Dark Patch, a Poison Hypnotic Beam, a Catcher and a Juniper. If you played Ghetsis your opponent would probably thank you. Also, you don't get your supporter for the turn only. You draw cards with it, and the chances that there are some Trainers there are quite high.
How does Eelektrik get slammed by Ghetsis late game? It's the only deck that can survive with 0 cards in hand when set-up late game. I don't understand the reasoning behind that.
Also, you do know it's far more easy to get an early Lugia without Thundurus, right? You just go like this:
T1: Lugia active attach DCE
T2: Play Colress Machine and attach a basic Energy to Lugia.
You have got a T2 Lugia without wasting bench space and discarding Special Energys. Also, I have to remember you that acceleration from the discard through attacks aren't that great because you can't afford to lose a turn in this format.

And the last thing I want to say about Ghetsis and Lugia-EX is: If you check the Japanese results, not even 1 of the decks that made Top8 played either Ghetsis or Lugia-EX. This is by far the most irrelevant point, since the Japanese Meta has been proven right and wrong many times, but I think this time it will be right.

I wonder if lockdown decks could make a comeback with the new Dragonite. For CCC he can Item lock and hit for 60. With garbador out, your opponents only hope would be straight up attacking. You could also get a lot of cards from Ghestis since your opponents hand is likely to be filled with items after a few turns.

Good luck setting that up with the abundance of rush decks. Do notice that any deck that has evolutions only has that Stage 2 or Stage 1 as their evo line and the rest are big basics. A deck that relies on having a stage 2 active and a stage 1 on the bench is just too clunky in recent formats.

MDL said:
TrainerNaru said:
mate how can you play around a ghetsis that happends turn one? just think about it
getting every trainer in your opening hand back into your deck now all that is left to do is play your one supporter of the turn
i can see elektrik gettin slammed by ghetsis and the late game potential is insane
and Thundurus ex first attack is actully pretty decent 30 dmg is not bad for one energy and then spam energy onto a lugia ex or something

turn 1 would be thundurus ex just dealing 30 dmg and hopefully you've gotten energies in the discard then attach it to lugia ! :) or some other attacker
and with colres machine lugia should be ready to go by turn 2
i for one think that is kinda sick
and turn 2 just keep on charging your pokemon!
then slam your oppnent to the ground with lugia ex :D

How do you play around Ghetsis? You use your trainers. Simple as that. So what if it happens T1? The probabilities of that happening is so low, because you would have to go first and have the Ghetsis in hand. Unless you play 4 Ghetsis (which is bad). You probably helped your opponent if you play a Ghetsis on the first turn. Imagine it's a Darkrai Deck and his hand is: 3 not trainer cards, a Dark Patch, a Poison Hypnotic Beam, a Catcher and a Juniper. If you played Ghetsis your opponent would probably thank you. Also, you don't get your supporter for the turn only. You draw cards with it, and the chances that there are some Trainers there are quite high.
How does Eelektrik get slammed by Ghetsis late game? It's the only deck that can survive with 0 cards in hand when set-up late game. I don't understand the reasoning behind that.
Also, you do know it's far more easy to get an early Lugia without Thundurus, right? You just go like this:
T1: Lugia active attach DCE
T2: Play Colress Machine and attach a basic Energy to Lugia.
You have got a T2 Lugia without wasting bench space and discarding Special Energys. Also, I have to remember you that acceleration from the discard through attacks aren't that great because you can't afford to lose a turn in this format.

And the last thing I want to say about Ghetsis and Lugia-EX is: If you check the Japanese results, not even 1 of the decks that made Top8 played either Ghetsis or Lugia-EX. This is by far the most irrelevant point, since the Japanese Meta has been proven right and wrong many times, but I think this time it will be right.

Honestly japanese meta isnt always how it ends up here :p
and im sorry my english is terrible i meant to say that if i were to get ghetsis'd on turn one with my eel deck i would probly just have to use my supporter right away
Wich is bad as i lose my whole starter hand tho i can place down energies and pokemon (if any) and hope for lots of ultra balls and such to actully set up THO eels wont see much play i guess when these sets realse ... so meh no idea why i bothered ...
tho the lugia part is just that i want lugia to KO pokemon ex' so i figured thundurus would be an ok partner as it could charge up multiple lugias and by the help of colres machine get 2 lugia powerd up tho i havnt tested any decks or seen any games with this format so i guess i should just keep my mout shut for the most part :p

btw could i ask where do you get your information on the japanese meta?

RE: The Future Metagame Speculation Thread

pokedan24 said:
Sometimes I hate this format...

There hasn't been a good format in years. I only play the game because I am kind of emotionally attached to our small community here anyway.

A few things to ask:
Is there any way eels will come back? I was told Victini EX was doing ok but I get the feeling that it's catcher bait especially to Keldeo EX. (mainly talking about Rayquaza eels)
I was told frozen city would hurt Keldeo quite a bit,but will that really happen or will people figure a way to beat it? I'm not too sure how plasma badge will do, I have a feeling there's something about it which makes it not so great.

Rayquaza-XD said:
A few things to ask:
Is there any way eels will come back? I was told Victini EX was doing ok but I get the feeling that it's catcher bait especially to Keldeo EX. (mainly talking about Rayquaza eels)
I was told frozen city would hurt Keldeo quite a bit,but will that really happen or will people figure a way to beat it? I'm not too sure how plasma badge will do, I have a feeling there's something about it which makes it not so great.

I don't think Eels will comeback.
The thing about Plasma Badge is the thing with all tools. Tool Scrapper.

just wondering what do people think of the new electrode with the ability to draw till you have 4 cards in your hand? :eek:

RE: Future Metagame Speculation

Rayquaza-XD said:
A few things to ask:
Where has Eels gone? I still face it in every tournament I go to and its still doing very good

Eels have a win condition. They have to survive the first five turns or they just die. They honestly got hurt the most when collector got rotated out but nevertheless, RayEels is a very devastating deck

Donking via Energy Acceleration is going to be easier with the addition of Ether, just letting you know guys!! Remember what I'm saying, because it will solidly happen. I can feel it deep in my heart.

Ether's a flimsy card. I feel that most decks don't run enough Energy (unless you're Keldeo) to make it very useful or consistent. If you run Pokédex, this may see some play. Otherwise, Ether is just a dead draw if you don't topdeck the Energy. If we had Slowking GS, I'd love Ether. But having to Skyla for Ether and risk not even getting the Energy, then meh. No good. Waste of a Supporter. It's just not reliable enough.

Serperior said:
Ether's a flimsy card. I feel that most decks don't run enough Energy (unless you're Keldeo) to make it very useful or consistent. If you run Pokédex, this may see some play. Otherwise, Ether is just a dead draw if you don't topdeck the Energy. If we had Slowking GS, I'd love Ether. But having to Skyla for Ether and risk not even getting the Energy, then meh. No good. Waste of a Supporter. It's just not reliable enough.
That's why you play it with Pokedex.

pokemonjoe said:
Serperior said:
That's why you waste 8 cards of your deck and hope to draw them at the same time.

MDL said:
pokemonjoe said:
That's why you waste 8 cards of your deck and hope to draw them at the same time.

That's why you play it with Musharna and are able to control your topdecks to some extent which is useful even when you don't have Ether in hand.

Musharna is tricky though because you can't rely on the top 2 cards having an energy. To add to that, if you're packing 8 cards for EtherDex, it's going to be hard to find room for a Stage 1 also.

It's a cool combo that's quite fun if you can pull it off, but I can't see it making the top tiers anytime soon, especially since the only deck in actual need of acceleration at this point is the Landorus/Mewtwo varients, and those are better off utilizing the Hynotoxic Laser/Virbank City Gym combo.

It could definitely make for some hilarious non-competitive league or fun decks though. Apparently someone used this combo with Quad Giratina EX in Japan.

Back