XY Further Improvements and (Wasted) Potential in Pokémon X / Y

Omanyte said:
I didn't read all the posts (especially all the later text blocks) so sorry if any of this was already mentioned.

I like Mega Evolutions, but I think that there was a focus on Pokemon that didn't need them (although Mega Blaziken is fun!). I'd like Mega Evolutions for Pokemon that really could use a boost: imagine Mega Furret, Mega Sunflora, or even Mega Luvdisc. =P
At least Medicham and Mawile got mega evos! Imagine if Salamence and Dragonite got them instead.

My biggest annoyance with Pokemon is probably just a pet peeve: they changed the way the Pokemon sound! Raichu and Drifblim come to mind immediately, but I'm sure there were others where the sound was just botched. I don't see why they couldn't use the old cries again (I mean they've been done since Gen 1) or spend more time refining it so they didn't sound so different.
Apparently Magnemite changed cries between Gen 2 and 3, but I agree anyway. I hate how Zigzagoon sounds and when I went back to BW2, everything sounded so much better. The new cries are just so forgettable and I can only remember a very few, like Machop.

People mentioned Pokemon Contests and the hideouts from R/S/E, and I'd like to see those too. Also a Battle Frontier!
XY is the first original Pokémon game since GS without Contests or something similar (Musicals). It just shows you how lazy they've become since BW2. Though, the BF is usually reserved for the third game in a series.

I thought the story was kinda lame: it just dragged on, with no real purpose. To be honest Pokemon stories have been kind of weak since Gen 3. It'd be nice if they dropped the "Team of the Day" thing and focused on some different sort of plot. Maybe even not have a villain at all! Change up the gym thing too: you don't need to collect 8 badges in every game.
I don't really remember much of the story and I think you should get the choice to ignore your annoying friends you're forced to spend time with. It also doesn't help that they sorta just corner you into stupid situations.
Plus you just moved and at least RSE just had May/Brendan and they were only really around up until the halfway point. Trevor and Tierno seem completely pointless.

I really like how refined X/Y are: everything just seems so complete. This is such a huge contrast from B/W, which felt sloppy and unoriginal. I didn't even play B/W until a few months before X/Y because half of the Pokemon looked like copies of previous Pokemon. It's grown on me since then (especially Whimsicott =P), but it's still easily the worst generation of Pokemon games. I really hope the games after X/Y are equally refined.
What do you mean complete? XY seems quite shallow to me, as there's nothing to do post-game at all, so once I've done the Looker missions and caught Mewtwo and Xerneas, I just wait for various FCs, to help complete my dex.

Online is also something I hope they expand on. I love using Wonder Trade, Battling (why you can't use 6 Pokemon in most of the modes is beyond me though), and GTS. Since this is already a huge text block as it is, I'll stop writing now except to say that I really, really like X/Y: I've put over 200 hours into my copy of Y version. Here's hoping the next generation is as good, if not better! :)

The GTS is a pain, as all trade requests on there are dumb, like Dialga for Dialga. If you already have a Dialga, why are you requesting one?
Next generation? Isn't it a bit early to say that? Have any Spin-off games even been released this gen yet?

I've missed this feature since 4th gen: The ability to see how tall and heavy your Pokémon are next to you. True, you couldn't set size or weight, but they could of implemented it in XY and without it, it makes it hard to tell how big/small Pokémon really are.

I didn't really notice the cry thing because I generally play the game with the sound off, I did know people freaked out though.

Honestly I don't really care. Maybe it's just I usually play games with the sound off. Unless it has amazing and great music then it gets shut off. Even so I mean those cries have been around for soooooo long, it was due for an update.

Number of Pokémon cries I remembered during Generations I-V: Zero.
Number of Pokémon cries I remembered during Generation VI: One, Pikachu.

They just all sound so mechanical and similar that none of them have ever stood out to me. Not that I think they should all say their names (like in the anime, or Pikachu), but at least more natural sounds would make a bit of sense.

Neutral sounding? Like end up sounding all the same?
Unless you have the sound off for the whole of gens 1-5, there's no way you can't not recognise some cries like Starly or Caterpie.

It's too much work to make different sound for hundreds numbers of pokemon *I even forget how much we have now*.

And digital sound is 'hipp' in Japan since the Hitsune Miku *or something* character.

I also type of person who off the sound while playing. And just can remember really limited numbers of pokemon's voices cries.

lovandra said:
It's too much work to make different sound for hundreds numbers of pokemon *I even forget how much we have now*.

And digital sound is 'hipp' in Japan since the Hitsune Miku *or something* character.

I also type of person who off the sound while playing. And just can remember really limited numbers of pokemon's voices cries.

If it's that much hard work, then why did they even change the cries to begin with?
You just reminded me of how badly GF messed up that awesome credits song w/lyrics.

Blob55 said:
Neutral sounding? Like end up sounding all the same?
Unless you have the sound off for the whole of gens 1-5, there's no way you can't not recognise some cries like Starly or Caterpie.

I didn't say "neutral" I said "natural", such as the noises being based more off actual animal sounds.

Also, I always play with the sound on (I do like the music of Pokémon) and I have no idea what Starly or Caterpie sound like. Or any other Pokémon for that matter, aside from 6th gen Pikachu. You may be good at telling the difference between the sounds, but it's not the same for everyone. :p

Re: RE: Further Improvements and (Wasted) Potential in Pokémon X / Y

Blob55 said:
lovandra said:

If it's that much hard work, then why did they even change the cries to begin with?
You just reminded me of how badly GF messed up that awesome credits song w/lyrics.

New devices almost always equal to new programs and coding.

That easier to make completely new things rather than make sure the new package of codes that will have same result with the old one.

Or maybe they try to make it similar to old one. But they are programers and not musicians with perfect pitch.

And they have tight schedule since world premiere release already announced even before the game is in beta test *if what I heard is true*.

Well then why did they feel the need to rush it so much? 5th gen is the shortest gen anyway and it wouldn't of hurt to make it a month or two longer.

Because fans would have raised hell, and they needed to pull something to boost 3ds sales. Also as a test of how the 3ds/pokemon combination behaves in a large scale.

Why do many think that Game Freak 'rushed' XY? Junichi Masuda said in an interview, that they started the XY project immediately after the Japanese launch of BW. I feel that XY are complete, sure there were only 69 new Pokémon and included less post-gameplay than in the past. But XY are the biggest Pokémon games ever!
Besides, I feel that "Z" will introduce alot of surprises to the sixth generation.

I love the 'new' updated cries in XY, like Athena said, the Pokémon sound more natural. I loved the old cries! But I don't see how anyone would rather listen to the screechy old game cries more than the new realistic ones? Listen to Hydreigon's new cry.... it's sick! If I heard that while walking in the woods, I think I'd run. It's old cry on the other hand.... sure it was cool back in the day, but now it sounds horribly old and fake.

I have no complaints for Pokémon X&Y, these have been some of the best games ever!

Athena said:
I didn't say "neutral" I said "natural", such as the noises being based more off actual animal sounds.

Also, I always play with the sound on (I do like the music of Pokémon) and I have no idea what Starly or Caterpie sound like. Or any other Pokémon for that matter, aside from 6th gen Pikachu. You may be good at telling the difference between the sounds, but it's not the same for everyone. :p

Starly's cry does exactly what you're talking about, though. It sounds like actual bird chirps.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fol_FjYv23Y[/video]

No, it sounds like a computer imitating a bird chirping, or maybe a small robot. That doesn't sound like a natural sound at all. Of course, it's a matter of opinion, but I would never mistake that sound for a real bird, personally. :p

Then there's Pikachu... I have no idea why I hate it's new cry so much. Maybe because I honestly think that the "PIKA!" should be reserved for Red's Pikachu. Further more, I realize that it is the defacto mascot of Pokemon, but honestly they couldn't have done that for other pokemon (some, not all)?

Athena said:
No, it sounds like a computer imitating a bird chirping, or maybe a small robot. That doesn't sound like a natural sound at all. Of course, it's a matter of opinion, but I would never mistake that sound for a real bird, personally. :p

You must be really picky about sound quality then, because I can barely hear a difference.

Prince Dedenne said:
Listen to Hydreigon's new cry.... it's sick! If I heard that while walking in the woods, I think I'd run. It's old cry on the other hand.... sure it was cool back in the day

Lol back in the day....you mean 2 years ago? Not that old.

Blob55 said:
Well then why did they feel the need to rush it so much? 5th gen is the shortest gen anyway and it wouldn't of hurt to make it a month or two longer.

Think about it, when was BW2 released? October 2012, when was the 3DS launched in most regions? About March 2011, so my question is....why was BW2 not on the 3DS? Honestly I was surprised when it wasn't, or that it wasn't the bridge title like the first Pokemon mystery dungeon was (one on GB and one on DS). I mean the 3DS was out for a while, announced even further than that. GF is a second party and work very close to Nintendo so they probably knew about the 3DS and could have been developing for it.

I do think I was considerably rushed, I mean sure they started making it after BW but that doesn't mean anything. They had 600+ Pokemon models to make from scratch, redo all the cries for those models, then redesign the overworld COMPLETELY, not to mention the other things like battle animations, music, wireless, wifi, besides the concept and creature design they threw everything out and started over.

In summary it was way way more work than 2 years. So it's understandable if they didn't get everything perfect....but I'll still complain about it :p. I'm surprised X and Y actually made it out on time worldwide, that was a huge task as well. I'm sure what ever they do next whether it be remake or Z, they have all the models and hard work done so they just expand on that. Should be amazing

professorlight said:
Because fans would have raised hell, and they needed to pull something to boost 3ds sales. Also as a test of how the 3ds/pokemon combination behaves in a large scale.

The 3DS was already a mass success, the one thing that did come out on the same day was the 2DS

professorlight said:

No, I mean they could of just said it would come out in December right away. I'm not talking about a 2 month delay.

catutie said:
I do think I was considerably rushed, I mean sure they started making it after BW but that doesn't mean anything. They had 600+ Pokemon models to make from scratch, redo all the cries for those models, then redesign the overworld COMPLETELY, not to mention the other things like battle animations, music, wireless, wifi, besides the concept and creature design they threw everything out and started over.

Don't forget the new menu sprites, the animations for PokéMonAmi (The battle animations tend to use the old Stadium/PBR ones) and the customizations + pictures of your profile.

Prince Dedenne said:
Why do many think that Game Freak 'rushed' XY? Junichi Masuda said in an interview, that they started the XY project immediately after the Japanese launch of BW. I feel that XY are complete, sure there were only 69 new Pokémon and included less post-gameplay than in the past. But XY are the biggest Pokémon games ever!
Besides, I feel that "Z" will introduce alot of surprises to the sixth generation.

I love the 'new' updated cries in XY, like Athena said, the Pokémon sound more natural. I loved the old cries! But I don't see how anyone would rather listen to the screechy old game cries more than the new realistic ones? Listen to Hydreigon's new cry.... it's sick! If I heard that while walking in the woods, I think I'd run. It's old cry on the other hand.... sure it was cool back in the day, but now it sounds horribly old and fake.

I have no complaints for Pokémon X&Y, these have been some of the best games ever!

Druddigon also sounds more improved. It was like a hiss noise back in BW but sounds more fierce in XY.

Salamence is a downgrade though. Some pokemon from older gens sound really bad, like they forgot about them and the 8-bit sounds didn't pass. ...I cant remember any at the moment... but I definitely had a few Pokémon cries that bummed me out.

IMO, The cries were OK. They're cool but if we had the old ones back I wouldn't miss these. Some, like druddigon and regirock, are really cool. Some like sigilyph are completely changed. Others, like hyrdeigon, they dropped the ball on and really stink.

Akwila said:
Then there's Pikachu... I have no idea why I hate it's new cry so much. Maybe because I honestly think that the "PIKA!" should be reserved for Red's Pikachu. Further more, I realize that it is the defacto mascot of Pokemon, but honestly they couldn't have done that for other pokemon (some, not all)?

I think this is a great idea: why not have all the Pokemon sound like Pikachu? In the sense that they say their own names, not that they all say Pikachu. =P Not to belabor the point, but X/Y didn't improve the sounds at all (just talking about the cries). Taste varies though, so I guess it's subjective, but the improvement in sound quality doesn't seem high enough to merit the changes. These are fictional games, I don't really expect the fictional Paras to sound like a real-life insect would.

Back