XY Further Improvements and (Wasted) Potential in Pokémon X / Y

RE: Wasted potential in X and Y

I think they dropped the ball big time with the story. The potential was wasted big time. X and Y and the dna in the logo? Mega evolutions? Are you telling me they couldn't go the obvious route and build a story around the idea of altering the DNA of Pokemon to make them more powerful? Perhaps done illegally? I mean, it was all there. Sure, it would have been a repeat of the Mewtwo story of RBY, but it was a hardly mentioned subplot in those games anyway. Instead, we got a repeat of DP where the bad guys want to change the world because they don't like the state it is in. Xerneas and Yvetal's inclusion in the story was terrible. Since they did take the boring route, like what Professorlight said, they could have expanded on the idea of war. Ugh. By far my least favorite story of any game.

WE EVEN HAD MEWTWO IN THE GAME. Talk about a c***tease! Mewtwo was so pointless and obviously fan service. He could have played a huge role in the genetic engineering subplot. That could have also helped usher in the idea of Mega Pokemon a little better too. I cant stand the idea that they had always existed. The concept just screams human intervention to me.

evilpacman said:
I think they dropped the ball big time with the story. The potential was wasted big time. X and Y and the dna in the logo? Mega evolutions? Are you telling me they couldn't go the obvious route and build a story around the idea of altering the DNA of Pokemon to make them more powerful? Perhaps done illegally? I mean, it was all there. Sure, it would have been a repeat of the Mewtwo story of RBY, but it was a hardly mentioned subplot in those games anyway. Instead, we got a repeat of DP where the bad guys want to change the world because they don't like the state it is in. Xerneas and Yvetal's inclusion in the story was terrible. Since they did take the boring route, like what Professorlight said, they could have expanded on the idea of war. Ugh. By far my least favorite story of any game.

WE EVEN HAD MEWTWO IN THE GAME. Talk about a c***tease! Mewtwo was so pointless and obviously fan service. He could have played a huge role in the genetic engineering subplot. That could have also helped usher in the idea of Mega Pokemon a little better too. I cant stand the idea that they had always existed. The concept just screams human intervention to me.

This literally just put my thoughts about the game on paper. Worst story. Could have been 10x better. Yup. Summarized in full.

Thank you.

Lol if you honestly thought the storyline was the worst in the series, than you've never played Gold and Silver or you just got those nostalgia goggles on really tight. I think most people were disappointed in the story of X and Y because they felt it was a step back from BW and B2W2, which is 100% true. It's story is more comparable to RSE or DPPt's, and I honestly don't remember people complaining about them this much.

Now I'm not there wasn't wasted potential, because oh boy there was, but I think I do have a reason why the story was sub-par, the lack of new pokemon, etc. First, this was Game Freak's first attempt at a fully 3d game and I think most of the focus went to the transition from sprites to 3D models. So I think because since they were so focused on that aspect, they unintentionally or even intentionally took focus away from other aspects of the games. Combined this with a worldwide release date, they were obviously crunch for time. I think this is also part of the reason why there's so few new Pokemon this time around (other part is the inclusion of Mega evolutions), they just simply ran out of time. I think we can all agree this is the best looking Pokemon game ever made, possibly the best looking 3DS game, so we can rest assure GF is capable in making a full 3D game. Saying that, I honestly wished they actually delayed the game a few months to improve on the other aspects, but the backlash from that would of been bad, so I can see why they didn't.

Now, you can say that's wasted potential, that's fair, but I see it more has gained potential. For the next games, rather they be RS remakes, Z, X2Y2, or even something else, if they can take what made BW good and what made XY good, then the next games are going to be amazing.

Wasted potential in X and Y

I would say the potential was waisted as well, ya sure there are three more legendaries to come but that gives us what? 6 new legendaries? And those are unannounced legendaries, most average joes don't even know there are more than the 3 new ones in the game. They really should have just taken a bit more time and thought threw some stuff and added more to the game.

There were a lot of disappointments actually. More mega battles would have been nice, they didn't have to make it a ring that activated it, could have been anyone. That would have at least made it more challenging. Also about the challenge, what happened to hard mode? Was that really that hard to put in? The elite four as well wasn't very good, I don't understand why they can't all have 6 Pokemon each, it would at least give a bit of risk. Also what was with the champion? I mean it was nice that she didn't just have one type but you had little to no interaction with her during the game. Like with lance or Cynthia you had some time with them and it created more tension through the battle because they weren't some mysterious person they were someone you fought along side and battled with. Also I thought she was a bad guy for most of the game.

I understand that GF was putting a lot of effort to make all the models look like Pokemon Stadium models and the new over world but...69 new Pokemon is terrible. Just don't release the game. They didn't do BW2 on 3DS due to not having the engine ready but don't gimp what we actually do get. Just wait another year and work on making your 3D game ACTUALLY IN 3D!!! I think that was the worst part. I may be part of the select few that use the 3D on my 3DS but why is it mostly only the battles in 3D? Heck that doesn't even go past single battles, but why would I know that? The second the game started and it wasn't 3D in the freaking opening town....I turned it off permanently. I completely do not understand this. I would not care if we were getting this game this year, there are so many problems with this installment in the Pokemon games. It barely uses the systems potential (barely uses any 3D, no real street pass feature besides the poke miles crap)

Also I pray for no DLC in my Pokemon games. Just think, they come out with some pack and it comes with 20 new Pokemon and a small second quest. That would destroy what Pokemon is all about. You would most likely not be able to battle people that have these new Pokemon if you don't have the DLC pack, thus you also can't trade with them, also that means they don't really need to make new games, just have a 7th gen pack added to the game. Sure they could make a "game of the year" version of the game or what ever but that isn't fair, it's not fair to people that can't afford the DLC, not fair to those who can't get the DLC, and not fair to those that don't know about the DLC. I mean I have friends that get the new Pokemon game and a 3DS and nothing else and if I didn't tell them about all the news I read or see online they would be clueless. Then they try and battle there friend but oh too bad he has the new deluxe pack that gives him new Pokemon and the Orange Islands to go through. That goes against Pokemon as a concept and what it has always been. It's been a game that you can quickly (well now connect quickly, I remember lugging around a GBA link cable to battle or trade) pair up with a friend and battle at any time. DLC would just ruin all of that.

Also one last thing. That story was TERRIBLE. That was like DPPt bad. I hate the DPPt stories, so boring and generic. I guess galactic wasn't like rocket in GS or in HGSS where they didn't really do much (I mean they blew stuff up....) but there motivation and ideals were stupid. At least BW made some nice Pokemon rights claims but then they threw a wrench in there with the stupidest twist and it turns out that no it was just world domination. Just like galactic....or rocket....or magma or aqua....or sadly....plasma as well it was about world domination. Make the evil team smart or maybe they don't have to be evil. I believe the team flare grunts were the dumbest team yet. They just sounded so simple minded and stupid. A team focused on fashion was a bad idea. A very bad idea. I understand that GF is writing there stories for a younger audience but for gods sake do something different. The team doesn't even have to be evil. Heck there doesn't have to be a team. I mean in this game there were multiple rivals. Just have them face you a bit on there journey of self discovery or something. Once again BW addressed this well by having your rivals actually come to realize what they actually wanted by the end. They actually had some kind of development and characterization.

I love the game don't get me wrong but it is no where near the best Pokemon game. It may look fancy but in a lot of ways it went backward and just became worse. I don't know if they will ever fix any of it anyway. I doubt it.

(Also I don't count mega's as new Pokemon. It's just a variant on existing Pokemon. Even when they evolved our old pathetic Pokemon on gen 4 that just seemed like cheating. This was just a repeat except simpler and lazier.)

There were a lot of disappointments actually. More mega battles would have been nice, they didn't have to make it a ring that activated it, could have been anyone. That would have at least made it more challenging. Also about the challenge, what happened to hard mode? Was that really that hard to put in? The elite four as well wasn't very good,

I agree with this my pokemon were all like at level 70+ by the time I got to the league and that was with no extra training or anything just regular play through.

I understand that GF was putting a lot of effort to make all the models look like Pokemon Stadium models and the new over world but...69 new Pokemon is terrible.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also I pray for no DLC in my Pokemon games. Just think, they come out with some pack and it comes with 20 new Pokemon and a small second quest. That would destroy what Pokemon is all about.

This I totally disagree with for the reason that your concerns are easily fixable. Just create a free update where you won't be able to get online like they have been doing adding the code for the new Pokemon in your game. As for the people who don't get online they aren't missing anything.

Also one last thing. That story was TERRIBLE. That was like DPPt bad. I hate the DPPt stories, so boring and generic. I guess galactic wasn't like rocket in GS or in HGSS where they didn't really do much (I mean they blew stuff up....) but there motivation and ideals were stupid. At least BW made some nice Pokemon rights claims but then they threw a wrench in there with the stupidest twist and it turns out that no it was just world domination. Just like galactic....or rocket....or magma or aqua....or sadly....plasma as well it was about world domination. Make the evil team smart or maybe they don't have to be evil. I believe the team flare grunts were the dumbest team yet. They just sounded so simple minded and stupid. A team focused on fashion was a bad idea. A very bad idea. I understand that GF is writing there stories for a younger audience but for gods sake do something different. The team doesn't even have to be evil. Heck there doesn't have to be a team. I mean in this game there were multiple rivals. Just have them face you a bit on there journey of self discovery or something. Once again BW addressed this well by having your rivals actually come to realize what they actually wanted by the end. They actually had some kind of development and characterization.

I think we all agree this story was horrible and a way to fix that would be adding new quests to expand on the story. Its really not that unimaginable with the added Giovanni quest in HGSS I felt like that finally closed the story for me. So it doesn't have to be a huge expansion(but I would prefer that because I don't always want to play online).

I love the game don't get me wrong but it is no where near the best Pokemon game. It may look fancy but in a lot of ways it went backward and just became worse. I don't know if they will ever fix any of it anyway. I doubt it.

I strongly feel like this is the best Pokemon game they ever created minus the story, with all the features they added. I feel like there was just so much wasted potential not to bring it up.

(Also I don't count mega's as new Pokemon. It's just a variant on existing Pokemon. Even when they evolved our old pathetic Pokemon on gen 4 that just seemed like cheating. This was just a repeat except simpler and lazier.)

The Megas were lazy but I also like how they tried to bring something new to the battle front but I feel like they chose the wrong Pokemon to Mega evo(Mostly already overpowered Pokemon and a few that actually needed it.

This I totally disagree with for the reason that your concerns are easily fixable. Just create a free update where you won't be able to get online like they have been doing adding the code for the new Pokemon in your game. As for the people who don't get online they aren't missing anything.

Ehhh I highly doubt they would make it free. I mean they still are releasing 2 games with different Pokemon on each, why do they do this? So you buy one and you convince your friends to buy the others or you just buy both. It's an insane and amazing business idea that has worked like no other. In short GF likes the money, or they would just put out the single version every time (like crystal or platinum). Thus I doubt the DLC would be free. I would imagine that they might even do as they do with the normal game and make 2 separate packs with a couple pokemon different than the other and you encourage your friends to buy the other one so you can trade for the Pokemon you don't get.

They should stick with the free download Pokemon, make 3 separate wifi events for the three event Pokemon already programmed in the game and maybe something shiny (the two main legendaries? I would hope so since they are shiny locked...) and then some older harder to find Pokemon. It wouldn't be good if we had to pay for all of that.

I think we can all agree that there is wasted potential, but you can find that with any game. And a lot of the stuff you mentioned like trainer customization and number of pokemon is really just small stuff when you look at the overall picture. Game freak had to do a complete overhaul of the game. It was in a new system, all pokemon are now 3d, (which if you take into account that they already had to do the other 649 pokemon + their forms, that's a lot of work, so they probably didn't have enough time to make that many new pokemon, and they couldn't just cut the pokemon that already exist) and they had to make a whole new region, more detailed than any previous game (just look at lumious city). So when you look at the whole grand scheme of things, the stuff you mentioned that could be improved is small. Game freak had bigger stuff to work on.

As for me, I actually like the story of x and y. I liked the fact that you didn't run into team flare every time you turned a corner. Most of the other games were like that, where you saw the evil team almost constantly. They did that plot so much, it became generic. Something you would expect from a pokemon game. This plot was a breath of fresh air. I'll give you the climatic part of the story was very quick, but that's all that really bugged me, and the fact it was too easy to catch yveltal/xerneas.

For the number of pokemon, I was a little disappointed at first but this generation is pretty solid. With BW, most pokemon were just dex filler, and was a waste. I do like all of 5th gen pokemon, but a lot of them were useless. This is the first generation since RBY where I really liked all of them. And the RBY is most likely cause of nostalgia. But the fact this gen kept up with my nostalgia says something to me. The whole theme of Kalos is beauty and I think they did a really good job at capturing that with the pokemon.

For the legendaries I was miffed about. I at least expected there to be a trio. And was letdown when they used the legendary birds instead of making a trio native to Kalos. But we do have three event legendaries on the way so I guess it's not so bad. Plus I have a theory why there isn't any other legendary pokemon. According to the story yveltal took the life of all pokemon, maybe he took the life of the legendary pokemon too. And since legendary pokemon are rare, yveltal probably wiped them all out. And that could also explain why there is so few Kalos pokemon.

All you people do is complain about the stuff they didn't do but don't think about it from GF perspective. You could say they should have just pushed it back so they had time to make it better but there's two problems with that. 1, would you want to wait longer by at least a few months? Most would probably say no. 2, like most artists with a record label, they usually have to get a certain number of albums out in a certain time frame. The same is with GF. They probably didn't have enough time. Since they usually release one main series game a year, that's probably their contract, one game a year, and a serious of other miscellaneous games. They had to get it done in that time frame, hence such a small after story.

Re: Wasted potential in X and Y

Team focused on fashion is kinda weird. I agree. But I think they use fashion cause Kalos based on France which is an art and fashion's country.

I suspicious that pokemon X and Y are unfinished. Cause game freak need to finished them fast due promised that Nintendo made to out the game world wide at the same time. They end up cut some 'story line' that they can't finished due the deadline.

Highest possibility, they r working in pokemon z now, and *hopefully* will out will all potential we r hoping for :D.

Just my theory though. *this still related to topic, so fine to be posted here, right?*

catutie said:

Ehhh I highly doubt they would make it free. I mean they still are releasing 2 games with different Pokemon on each, why do they do this? So you buy one and you convince your friends to buy the others or you just buy both. It's an insane and amazing business idea that has worked like no other. In short GF likes the money, or they would just put out the single version every time (like crystal or platinum). Thus I doubt the DLC would be free. I would imagine that they might even do as they do with the normal game and make 2 separate packs with a couple pokemon different than the other and you encourage your friends to buy the other one so you can trade for the Pokemon you don't get.

They should stick with the free download Pokemon, make 3 separate wifi events for the three event Pokemon already programmed in the game and maybe something shiny (the two main legendaries? I would hope so since they are shiny locked...) and then some older harder to find Pokemon. It wouldn't be good if we had to pay for all of that.

As in free I just me the update not the DLC itself. Like for instance if you played Injustice when they released a new character there was a free update that included that player data, that way if you played online and didn't buy the DLC you would still be able to play against players who had the DLC.

The only thing about the game I dislike was the wasted potential on the Storyline. The rest of the game is fantastic. I couldn't be happier from an overall perspective

I was talking to my friend about X/Y, and she mentioned pokemon contests and berries from past games. I really think there was some wasted potential there, from what my friend explained to me. Without contests, there's not much use of berries or boost mulch. I guess if you're a mega collector, you can try to collect all the berries. But I wish they had the contest feature in this game. It sounds like a lot of fun, and it's something I hadn't tried yet. (Last game I played was Leaf Green)

Re: RE: Wasted potential in X and Y

Yulania said:
I was talking to my friend about X/Y, and she mentioned pokemon contests and berries from past games. I really think there was some wasted potential there, from what my friend explained to me. Without contests, there's not much use of berries or boost mulch. I guess if you're a mega collector, you can try to collect all the berries. But I wish they had the contest feature in this game. It sounds like a lot of fun, and it's something I hadn't tried yet. (Last game I played was Leaf Green)

I was thinking about that when I played pokemon amie and made video for the first time too. *I just remember it after reading your post*.

That will be cool if they bring back pokemon contest using video and pokemon amie. And putting several events that let worldwide vote for the result.

This will be awesome, imo. *I know not everyone will like this ^^;*

Stephen Williams said:
They didn't have to make it a ring that activated it.

Korrina has a Mega glove, so its not just a ring that can activate it, its the stone in the ring that activates it, the stone just need a placeholder.

I do agree that a lot of the potential in the game was wasted, but I think this game was more of a filler because of the transition from 2D to 3D. It would have been quite hard making the 2D models of pokemon to 3D models, its just like making 649 new pokemon. Sure, they might add some DLC but im pretty sure if they do it wont tie in with the story because it would be much simpler to go out to a store and buy the game then having to put credit card details on a 3ds or go get an eshop card, fill in the code then wait like 1-3 hours for the game to download. I just hope that they add a small update which adds in a bunch new pokemon hidden in the code but they just say its bugfixes and all.

Stephen Williams said:
As in free I just me the update not the DLC itself. Like for instance if you played Injustice when they released a new character there was a free update that included that player data, that way if you played online and didn't buy the DLC you would still be able to play against players who had the DLC.

You can't trade players in Injustice though. Pokemon is about trading with friends and battling.

I love this game, I may bash it but it is amazing. The set pieces in this look amazing. First time I went down route 7 and the camera changed to show the buildings and the depth I uttered "holy crap" and the cave that changes the camera perspective completely. I feel like this game they wanted everything different, I mean some deep seeded things were changed.

There are finally more than like 3 Pokemon on a route (worst offender is DPPt Starly and Bidoof were the only Pokemon on a couple routes....that is stupid)

Free range of motion, finally not moving in a grid. When you first get the roller skates and you can move all around, it was awesome.

More dynamic camera angles in the world and in battles, I'm a huge fan of Pokemon stadium and battle 1 of x and y it was practically the same and that was the one thing that felt like it was missing in Pokemon stadium.

This may be minor but the attacks actually make contact. I guess they have done this more and more but I mean finally it looks like they are actually battling. A lot of the moves look amazing too, power whip I think is my favorite so far.

So much is amazing about this game, but it's easier to pick on a game than build it up.

I think they should go about it like so, take this year and a bit of next year to make the sequel or what ever to X and Y. This year have a smaller team work on there remake of what ever (let's hope for RSE or Yellow) and then have a large amount of the GF team and who ever else work on the sequel and really fix some of the kinks. Make the Pokemon 3DS game actually 3D and give it a good street pass feature. Like have ghost teams. Just like doing the wifi battle tower in DPPt where it would record the trainers Pokemon and battle style and you would face basically ghosts of the trainers. Even if it's a mindless NPC trainer that is using the other persons Pokemon you pass. It would be way better than poke miles.

The thread title is updated to allow more different opinions to be discussed. You can also post things you like about the game and how to make better use of the improvements that were already introduced this generation!

RE: (Wasted) Potential in X and Y

In regards to street pass I really would have liked them to bring back hideouts. I feel like with the 3DS's ability it would be a perfect fit. I would also like for the old mystery gift to come back.

I do not like the camera angle and how you move in Lumiose City, as the character homes in on entrances and it's really annoying when you want to read a sign.
Also, if you press down or left on a diagonal bit that's going south west, your character won't act like it's just bumped into a wall, which I find kind of odd. In fact, they'll go down the diagonal bit normally.

Blob55 said:
I do not like the camera angle and how you move in Lumiose City, as the character homes in on entrances and it's really annoying when you want to read a sign.
Also, if you press down or left on a diagonal bit that's going south west, your character won't act like it's just bumped into a wall, which I find kind of odd. In fact, they'll go down the diagonal bit normally.

Yeah, the camera sucks in some of the areas in this game. Lumiose City is one of them. Another is Azure Bay, where the camera is zoomed in so much that it's impossible to see where you're going. That needs fixing as well.

Alduin said:
Oh dear. While X/Y are probably some of my favourite games so far (thank god for speedier trades and battles), I do feel that they were quite lacking. Namely:
  • Camera angles can be atrocious, especially in Lumiose, Azure Bay, and that one snow place. Are they ever gonna fix that?
  • Incredibly disappointing post-game. Aside from the short Looker Bureau thing, there was pretty much nothing new. I would've liked to see something a little more DPP-esque, like with the extra island you got after the Elite 4 that was filled with strong trainers and such.
  • Where were all the legendary Pokemon? There were no new trios or anything, just the version mascot, one other new legendary, and two Kanto legendaries.
  • I felt that Mega Evolutions were a bit neglected for a new feature.
  • No option to turn off those annoying notification saying "Use link trade! Battle spot! GTS!" on the PSS.
  • I also would've liked to see a return of PC item storage (I've missed it since they left it out in gen IV!) because I hate having to scroll through all those stupid bag items that I don't care about.

I think every game should include some kind of full featured battle frontier. Gen 4 was the last time I remember any of that. Gen 5 had the subways but that was just plain battles and this one dumbs it down even more.

I didn't read all the posts (especially all the later text blocks) so sorry if any of this was already mentioned.

I like Mega Evolutions, but I think that there was a focus on Pokemon that didn't need them (although Mega Blaziken is fun!). I'd like Mega Evolutions for Pokemon that really could use a boost: imagine Mega Furret, Mega Sunflora, or even Mega Luvdisc. =P

I don't care for the lag that goes on during weather effects/horde battles. I get that the 3D is a big deal, but I do wish that they had refined it a bit more (or held off on horde battles until they didn't lag). It's Pokemon, the concept really shouldn't involve lag.

My biggest annoyance with Pokemon is probably just a pet peeve: they changed the way the Pokemon sound! Raichu and Drifblim come to mind immediately, but I'm sure there were others where the sound was just botched. I don't see why they couldn't use the old cries again (I mean they've been done since Gen 1) or spend more time refining it so they didn't sound so different.

I don't mind the less amount of Pokemon this generation: being able to get so many Pokemon from all sorts of games made this fun. But I really hope next generation's games don't copy this method: it'd get old seeing Bagon in the same areas. I don't think all Pokemon need to be Zubats, common in every cave. If this means GF doesn't release another Pokemon game for another decade so they can refine the next game, so be it.

People mentioned Pokemon Contests and the hideouts from R/S/E, and I'd like to see those too. Also a Battle Frontier!

I thought the story was kinda lame: it just dragged on, with no real purpose. To be honest Pokemon stories have been kind of weak since Gen 3. It'd be nice if they dropped the "Team of the Day" thing and focused on some different sort of plot. Maybe even not have a villain at all! Change up the gym thing too: you don't need to collect 8 badges in every game.

I really like how refined X/Y are: everything just seems so complete. This is such a huge contrast from B/W, which felt sloppy and unoriginal. I didn't even play B/W until a few months before X/Y because half of the Pokemon looked like copies of previous Pokemon. It's grown on me since then (especially Whimsicott =P), but it's still easily the worst generation of Pokemon games. I really hope the games after X/Y are equally refined.

Online is also something I hope they expand on. I love using Wonder Trade, Battling (why you can't use 6 Pokemon in most of the modes is beyond me though), and GTS. Since this is already a huge text block as it is, I'll stop writing now except to say that I really, really like X/Y: I've put over 200 hours into my copy of Y version. Here's hoping the next generation is as good, if not better! :)

Back