News First 'Sun & Moon' English Set News!

I fail to understand what your complaint about ultraball is. What sounds like the better play? Discarding an energy and sycamore, find a pokemon that you need, play it to the bench, attach an energy, play VS Seeker to get back Sycamore, and then playing Sycamore. Or Discarding your whole hand for sycamore, and drawing 7 to hope you get something playable? If you picked the latter, you're a troll.

Uh.....what?
Currently, discarding cards from hand is fine because we just throw out supporters without repercussion, until next septemeber things are gonna stay the same

but if we look at everything, I dont see VS Seeker reprint hanging around anywhere, and it hasnt had a normal print in 2 years! I think that by the time ROS rotates so will VS Seeker for a little while (a season or two), and then we will see a comeback. This forces us to use Nest Ball and Timer ball to keep the cards in our hand. If we look back at HGSS we didnt have ultra ball, and then people had to use dual ball, and pokemon communication to find useful cards. I think that this will follow suit without the not having ultra ball. Discarding cards has been good up until next rotation from where we sit now. Then we have to conserve supporters without VS seeker, therefore cards like Illma will actually see play, and obviously N will see even more play. I know this is rather early but its only 8 months away, and thats only 2 maybe 3 sets. I think that if we were gonna see VS Seeker it would have to be rather soon

Currently, discarding cards from hand is fine because we just throw out supporters without repercussion, until next septemeber things are gonna stay the same

but if we look at everything, I dont see VS Seeker reprint hanging around anywhere, and it hasnt had a normal print in 2 years! I think that by the time ROS rotates so will VS Seeker for a little while (a season or two), and then we will see a comeback. This forces us to use Nest Ball and Timer ball to keep the cards in our hand. If we look back at HGSS we didnt have ultra ball, and then people had to use dual ball, and pokemon communication to find useful cards. I think that this will follow suit without the not having ultra ball. Discarding cards has been good up until next rotation from where we sit now. Then we have to conserve supporters without VS seeker, therefore cards like Illma will actually see play, and obviously N will see even more play. I know this is rather early but its only 8 months away, and thats only 2 maybe 3 sets. I think that if we were gonna see VS Seeker it would have to be rather soon
I think even if we don't get a VS Seeker reprint, Ultra Ball will be very good in decks. The choice to throw away supporters is ours, and so all you have to do is opt to discard other things that can either be brought back into the deck or is needed in the discard (Energies for Rayquaza, Yveltal, Etc...).

I'm getting quite sick of seeing the same staple cards over and over again. Ultra Ball, N, Sycamore/Juniper, DCE, have all been in format without any offtime (save N, which was out for a few months) for the better part of FIVE YEARS. We're getting to a point where the core mechanics of the game aren't seeing any change, and I don't like that at all. Some more variety in trainer effects would really spice up the game, and I'm glad to see cards like Lillie, but they aren't good enough when Sycamore/N are still around. Hopefully Kukui isn't just another Juniper. I'd really like something new. Even less important cards, like Super Scoop-Up, Max potion, and float stone have seen way too much time in standard for my liking. Trainers really are the core of this game, and having the same ones constantly in play gets stale fast.

Nobody has been saying it's good, they simply are surprised at its attack cost. I don't mean to be rude but you have been assuming a lot of things when ever new cards have been announced. Calling the cards and the entire set a gimmick, even before we get our first actual English translation.
I've only been calling certain cards gimmicky after they've been shown with an English translation. And that's because like, half of these cards rely on flips or special circumstances to actually be good and work
Dual Ball was a card that saw virtually zero play. Ultra Ball is a staple in most decks, and will be for many formats to come.

Dual ball was an amazing card. Worked great in decks that needed multiple evolutions out on the field especially as the format was shifting to a more aggressive card drawing format with junipers and such.

@Sjin I would like that post more than once if i could

I fail to understand what your complaint about ultraball is. What sounds like the better play? Discarding an energy and sycamore, find a pokemon that you need, play it to the bench, attach an energy, play VS Seeker to get back Sycamore, and then playing Sycamore. Or Discarding your whole hand for sycamore, and drawing 7 to hope you get something playable? If you picked the latter, you're a troll.

Uh.....what?
For anyone who played before ultra ball was printed, I hope you all remember how it took a couple turns of setup to get going. Now it's just:
Ultra ball for shaymins set up for cards do some more stuf ultra ball for another shaymins do some more junk (is he done?) sycamore play ANOTHEr ultra ball (hopefully for something other than a shaymins) do some more stuff attack for massive amount of damage

Now, 2013 wasn't necessarily bad. Wile it did have ultra ball, the format was a lot slower and decks required list of set up for nimerous reasons. So either stop printing ultra ball or find some way to make this a format where people won't have conversations like this:

How'd u do?
Lost
What happened
He went first
RIP

(I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say here)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only been calling certain cards gimmicky after they've been shown with an English translation. And that's because like, half of these cards rely on flips or special circumstances to actually be good and work

Dual ball was an amazing card. Worked great in decks that needed multiple evolutions out on the field especially as the format was shifting to a more aggressive card drawing format with junipers and such.

@Sjin I would like that post more than once if i could
We have gotten a grand total of NO English Sun and Moon cards yet besides Snorlax GX and the SM Mascot GXs. There are a plethora of cards we don't know of yet, and who says cards with coin flips are bad? Roller Skates, Professor Birch, even Dual Ball needs coin flips. Also, Dual Ball only was able to get Basics meaning it would be kinda irrelevant in decks that need multiple Evolutions on the board. Which competitively, are few and far between. What I'm saying is Ultra Balls versatility is unparalleled. Dual Ball, Timer Ball, Nest Ball, or Level Ball. Nothing Beats the Ultra Ball in consistent Meta decks. Not now, and I don't think for a long time.

Your disliking for Ultra Ball sounds more like salt, not actual strategical reasoning.

We have gotten a grand total of NO English Sun and Moon cards yet besides Snorlax GX and the SM Mascot GXs. There are a plethora of cards we don't know of yet, and who says cards with coin flips are bad? Roller Skates, Professor Birch, even Dual Ball needs coin flips. Also, Dual Ball only was able to get Basics meaning it would be kinda irrelevant in decks that need multiple Evolutions on the board. Which competitively, are few and far between. What I'm saying is Ultra Balls versatility is unparalleled. Dual Ball, Timer Ball, Nest Ball, or Level Ball. Nothing Beats the Ultra Ball in consistent Meta decks. Not now, and I don't think for a long time.

Your disliking for Ultra Ball sounds more like salt, not actual strategical reasoning.

I do hope you know that they dont make different cards for us, they just take cards that japans gonna get in Sun and Moon base set there, and then theyre gonna give us those ones + other cards that japan has gotten earlier in the year

the other 2 supporters are Kukui and Hapu... both seem to start with "Discard" lol..
Kukui is probably a Juniper clone but idk about Hapu

I do hope you know that they dont make different cards for us, they just take cards that japans gonna get in Sun and Moon base set there, and then theyre gonna give us those ones + other cards that japan has gotten earlier in the year
Oh I know, the point I was trying to make is that it's so early to start judging cards that we haven't even gotten our first English cards. I think once we get at least 3/4 of the set revealed in Japanese, then we can start figuring out what's gimmicky and what's not. But deeming the whole set as a big cash grab just because of the few cards that have been shown to us is a little premature.

Hmm... Am I the only one that thinks the new Energy cards are ugly? They're so bland -_-. Hopefully they put at least, like, uhhh... thingies... around the back of them on the English versions. Like on the retro Energy cards.

Speaking of Energy... The absolute BEST Energy card designs were the HGSS sets' Energy cards. Just saying.

I do like the new Ultra Ball art.

Oh I know, the point I was trying to make is that it's so early to start judging cards that we haven't even gotten our first English cards. I think once we get at least 3/4 of the set revealed in Japanese, then we can start figuring out what's gimmicky and what's not. But deeming the whole set as a big cash grab just because of the few cards that have been shown to us is a little premature.
I havent seen the whole set yet, but overall its a step in the right direction for the TCG which has been extremely stale for the past 3 years

I havent seen the whole set yet, but overall its a step in the right direction for the TCG which has been extremely stale for the past 3 years
So far, they've only released a handful of cards to my knowledge. I am right with you, I'm super hyped to see good Evolution cards make a return to the competitive scene. Unless we get a Haymaker 2.0 that relies on all of the Basic GXs which would be a little annoying, but whatever:p

Honestly, I think ultra ball is a perfectly fine card. It's the format that we have with ultra ball in it is what I don't like. Stop printing ultra ball until this mess of a format gets cleaned up.

And no I'm not salty. I guarantee you if I wasn't salty about this game I wouldn't be playing it. All I'm saying is, a way to make it better is to drop all these cards that pretty much make you get whatever you need 99.999999% of the time.

Really liking the new basic energy but the Double Colorless looks way too much like XY's. Not too big of a fan there..

Really excited for Timer Ball too... I always liked dual ball, so this seems like it would work decently too...Maybe in expanded for bats, or some rogue swarm Beedrill from Evolutions deck. The fact that they're making more and more different Poke Balls into trainer cards is really nice. I wonder if they'll continue that throughout the era.

Honestly, I think ultra ball is a perfectly fine card. It's the format that we have with ultra ball in it is what I don't like. Stop printing ultra ball until this mess of a format gets cleaned up.

And no I'm not salty. I guarantee you if I wasn't salty about this game I wouldn't be playing it. All I'm saying is, a way to make it better is to drop all these cards that pretty much make you get whatever you need 99.999999% of the time.
Honestly, I think this is one of the best formats we have had in a while. Remember when Night March won tournament after tournament? That was hella unbalanced, and I agree, quite a mess. Cards that get you what you want 99.999999% of the time can't be unbalanced because everyone has equal access! Something I have loved about these past Regionals is that there's no definitive top deck. Each Tournament we've had so far has brought new decks to the table. That's what makes this format so much fun. Just this past week we had 2 completely new decks do very well at Fort Wayne Regionals. Pidgeot EX, and most surprisingly, Zygarde EX/Carbink. We have had a good number of new and inventive decks take the stage and perform at high levels, and nobody was even talking about them before! I just have to say that this season has been a very good one, for many reasons.

the other 2 supporters are Kukui and Hapu... both seem to start with "Discard" lol..
Kukui is probably a Juniper clone but idk about Hapu
Kukui's effect clearly states "your deck自分の山札" in the begining, and seeing from the sliver it shows from hapu(is that his name in he english game?) it definitely doesnt say "your hand自分の手札" in the beginning, which means neither of them start with a discard effect. Kukui might be a search card, and Hapu a new Tierno/simple draw supporter

Is there a page on the site here where I can see all the cards so far & translations we have in one place? All these articles are so piecemeal.

Is there a page on the site here where I can see all the cards so far & translations we have in one place? All these articles are so piecemeal.

Not yet. We'll be putting together a conglomerate page once the set starts leaking.

Back