News First 'Sun & Moon' English Set News!

My first thought was actually greedy dice. It makes the card a little more playable I guess.

Morley good in expanded say if you prized your ACE SPEC, unless they plan on making other 1-of cards.

this thing just gave Greedy Dice a buff....I think my avatar would best fit that thought.

But yeah this is not a bad card at all, but restricted to certain deck types-Beedrll Aggro Decks will probably use these most likely since they aim to get that turn 1 field swarm with the Forest but can be disrupted if certain pieces are prized.

I feel like this is going to be really helpful in a lot of decks. I'm excited to try it out.
How? The risk reward is clearly not in your favor as you don't control what goes back to being shuffled at all. Sure you might get something useful back, but you might also send something that's even worse into the prizes. Like if you run a heavy ex deck and somehow two of your attackers get prized, and you play this, you could get screwed even harder by having something like Hoopa-EX or one or both of your Shaymins prized instead. Heck you might even want the cards in your prizes right off the bat. Like oooooh you got your hex maniac and pokemon ranger back in a matchup that they're both ultraball/sycamore fodder. Great value to get those back at the cost of a vs seeker and one of your main attackers.

OH MAN, IF YOU PAIRED THIS WITH GREEDY DIE YOU'D HAVE...two highly unpredictable cards that are more likely to screw you over than help you out. Still, the possibility is there, and someone is going to try it.

When I played in VA regionals last year I had life dew prized in 3 diff rounds and super rod in 3 diff rounds (1 of those overlapping rounds). Its not really astonomical odds to have at least one of those prized and/or some other cards in the deck. Also Sableye garbodor sort of loses or ties if you have to scoop a game 1, just saying. You can win a game sure in the next 35-40 minutes, but any half decent opponent won't lose game 3. Its one of the major problems sableye garbodor has - one game loss is effectively the same as being limited to at MOST a tie and in this current era with 640+ master regionals, that makes it incredibly difficult to top cut.
I think if you were paranoid, and had an extra spot, it wouldn't hurt to put 1 copy in. But I think the nail in the coffin is that it's an Item. I would be all over this for Sableye Garbodor if I could grab it from the discard via VS Seeker.

OH MAN, IF YOU PAIRED THIS WITH GREEDY DIE YOU'D HAVE...two highly unpredictable cards that are more likely to screw you over than help you out. Still, the possibility is there, and someone is going to try it.

If you are down to around 15-20 in your draw and none of your greedy dice were prized this would give you a chance to cycle a few in. I don't see it being a meta game changer, but it works in a rogue deck that would play greedy dice. Today greedy dice are discard fodder, but if you had this you could try to cycle them back in under the right conditions.

I have a greedy dice / articuno deck and it hasn't served me any great wins, but I would add this to it as the goal of that deck is to steal prizes. This gives me more control over my prizes. So I would be that person to try it :)

I think if you were paranoid, and had an extra spot, it wouldn't hurt to put 1 copy in. But I think the nail in the coffin is that it's an Item. I would be all over this for Sableye Garbodor if I could grab it from the discard via VS Seeker.

Sableye garbodor runs currently on time puzzles. Time puzzles grab any card from your discard back, so you can effectively do that with sableye garb.

MY EVALUATIONS!
  • Rotom Dex - Oooohhh! This card looks nice in the competitive play. Very very useful. Maybe 1-2 in every deck. It'll get you desired cards back in the deck which are in the Prize Land, hopefully! You're the meta!

you need to improve your analysis lol.

Also, forget the card. It sucks. Just look at the trainers- they're gorgeous. The reverse effect looks really nice on them as well.

Rotom Dex:

Great if: you can use HCTR!(Here Comes Team Rocket!) and/or prior VS Seeker(to get HCTR out of discard for use) on your T1(T1 going first or T2 going second)/T2(T3 going first or T4 going second) before using it(Town Map is one use per game unless you have a means to get it back out of discard(one use because in standard, as TM is an item, the only way you can reliably get it back in hand from discard w/o wasting resources that could have been allocated for other uses(meaning that only way has to be anything BUT puzzle of time, Woobat BKT, among other cards that can do the scoop at a drawback that is significant enough to outweigh the scoop) is Bunnelby PRC's Rototiller in mill decks). Likewise, HCTR! can be scooped by VS Seeker, so it has 2-3 uses per game w/o having to waste valuable VS Seekers, as you can only have 4 per game, so why not save the last two to either go and finish the game(whether or not your attempt to move at least some of your most critical prizes to deck(as well as your non-KO card pool, meaning all the possible cards you can draw from your deck or use in your hand WITHOUT having to KO opposing pokemon to get such prizes added to your hand, and in effect, your aforementioned card pool) by Rotom Dex actually succeeds), or save yourself from losing an entire tournament w/o a fight to delay the inevitable? HCTR! + Rotom Dex =1 combo more efficient than Town Map and Rotom Dex, assuming your deck's star pokemon is:

1. totally prized(meaning all copies of your deck's bread-and-butter cards are prized), and...

2. you have no "wiggle room" in terms of round progress(Game 1 w/ all star-of-deck pokemon in prizes vs. Game 2 trailing in game count(meaning losing Game 2 means losing the round) w/ all star-of-deck pokemon in prizes)... If you prized all your hard-hitters significantly(in a way that renders you unable to draw prizes in a quick enough fashion to keep pace w/ opponent in terms of prize progress speed(dictated by the possibility of dealing KOs to the dealer's opponent), you could use Rotom Dex after using HCTR! to hopefully get your desired card back in deck AND hopefully not re-prize it all, then use HCTR! a second time on your next turn to see if you prized it all or got some of your desired cards back in your deck, and hopefully, you don't have to use Rotom Dex a second time, which is almost impossible to accomplish in standard. Of course, be careful not to use that combo more than twice, or else you could be wasting at least one too many critical VS Seekers that could be used to scoop draw power(4-6 prizes all), Lysandres(1-2 prizes on the side of the Lysandre user, or in a situation where you need to use it on one that cannot escape or attack right away, or in other words, stall for time to rebuild and/or counter, even if it means forcing the opponent to not be able to use certain cards that will get it out of active, whether by effect(Giratina-EX), paralysis or sleep(Servine, Malamar-EX/Hypno BKP, etc.), among other things that can keep the pokemon forced into active in until you can attack w/ enough power to take prizes AND limit the possibility of your strategy backfiring and possibly costing you the game), or other examples of critical supporters, w/o having to resort to other pokemon such as sableye DEX, bunnelby PRC, among other pokemon cards that can scoop from discard into your deck, or your hand...

Rotom Dex is not good for: any other use than the use mentioned above...

Last edited:
This is great if you have things prized crucial to setup. So if you can't get knockouts you still have a possibility of getting better prizes.

No it isn't. If you're struggling to get KOs, this card isn't going to be changing the game around and you could end up having the 'crucial' stuff prized again. Hell you could have even more important things prized on top of that. This card is bad and people should feel bad for thinking it'll be used in anything that isn't bottom tier.

This could be useful in some situations, but it isn't game-breaking. Only problem is, if your deck needs this to survive, your deck is probably built wrong to begin with. If you have extra space and nothing else to put there I can see it having some use as a last resort card, but I don't like to play that kind of game.

How does this interact with HCTR? Are your new prize cards face up? Are the ones you shuffled in face up? Or do they negate each other?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Farfetch'd GX next.

That's a pretty far stretch...

Wait... nah. I think you're right on the ball... the Poke Ball, that is! :D

lol I don't even know

Seriously, what I don't get is: why is there still such terrible game design regarding the most basic tiny Pokemon? If you're gonna print and use up valuable slots in a set, at least make more of the junk Commons & Rares somewhat playable.

The Flying Pikachu should be:
[C][C][C] Fly: Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does 30 damage. If heads, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon during your opponent’s next turn.

At least do something rather than nothing 50% of the time. Everything in this game is too chance-based.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give the Rotom Dex this: it's a good concept but not really enough of a bang. If it replaced itself by say drawing a card after putting out the prizes again we would be having a different conversation. It is trying to balance out the possible bad prize pool I'm sure we've all suffered from before. Not terrible but most likely going to get cut out of anything other then mill decks because having your precious Life Dew prized is terrible.

Back