First “Scarlet ex & Violet ex” Cards Revealed: The Beginning of the Gen 9 TCG!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The first Scarlet ex and Violet ex cards have been revealed on the official Japanese YouTube channel! The set will release in Japan on January 20th.
As posted before, this generation will see the return of the “Pokemon ex” mechanic that first debuted in 2003’s EX Ruby & Sapphire. Pokemon ex featured greater HP and stronger attacks than non-ex Pokemon, so they give up two Prize cards when Knocked Out. Unlike the “Pokemon-EX” mechanic from 2012, Pokemon ex evolve from their regular pre-Evolutions. Ampharos ex is a Stage 2 that evolves from Flaaffy.
Some Pokemon ex will feature a Terastal effect box. Pokemon with this Terastal effect don’t take damage from attacks when they’re on the Bench. This is seen on Arcanine ex...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured we'd get 2 Research this time around. Can't wait for the Sada full art!

Also Ultra Ball new regulation mark is awesome.

Looks pretty good just wish the Tera cards were so cramped. They could've made the box a bit bigger like they did for megas but ? overall pretty hyped. So im guessimg the legends will have dragon tera type cards. And then we'll get a dragon type charizard tera, as well as a steel salamance and tyranitar. Im guessing the special tera cards will be based on the mons available in raids. Sure will be interesting

We already have a 90 HP Growlithe in Silver Tempest, and Growlithe has historically been chonky, having a whopping 60 HP in the OG base set. The rest of the basic non-rulebox Pokemon here have normal HP.
So then it must be normal for growlithe to have that much then, okay.

Growlithe in Silver Tempest already has 90HP. Fusion Strike had 80HP, and all the way back in Next Destinies the Growlithe also had 80HP. They have always given the doggy more than usual.
Oh, I see. Jumped the gun a little bit then, my bad. The Growlithes I remember were usually 70-ish.

Assuming they're not all the same, that's a hell of a way to dance around Path to the Peak.
Yeah, it's not a 'wow' kind of deal but it could matter a lot in certain situations.

Yes, but terastalize will have different typings than their usual type for the most part

The arcanine however has fire tera type
I see. So having a fire basic then a water Terastal ex is still on the table, somehow.

the new card format seems nice, i like the minimalism on the weakness/resistance/retreat cost bar. wonder what they will do with alt arts though.

Back