BW/BW2 English Names For Revealed Pokemon

Oh yeah, of course. Just like how they would never give Hamferno the same exact typings as mon....oh wait. :rolleyes:

Well if they gave him the same typing and similar names that means there is more reason for it to be a rip off it wont be called Hamferno in my opinion. I like the name Porkabo because it sounds similar to the japanese name and i like the japanese name.

Pokabu: Piglit
Tsutarja: Vileaf (Viper + Leaf)
Mijumaru: Wotter
Hydra Pokemon?: Hydrago
Minezumi: Hypmunk
Kibago: Jawgon
Wargle's Pre-Evo: Egby
Moryguru: Moldozer
Shimama: Zapra or Zapbra
Antio: Robant (Robot + Ant)
Melodia: Melodoll or (Same Name)
Victini: Victiny

Which one of the Names you think is good?

ZoroarkDude24 said:
Pokabu: Piglit
Tsutarja: Vileaf (Viper + Leaf)
Mijumaru: Wotter
Hydra Pokemon?: Hydrago
Minezumi: Hypmunk
Kibago: Jawgon
Wargle's Pre-Evo: Egby
Moryguru: Moldozer
Shimama: Zapra or Zapbra
Antio: Robant (Robot + Ant)
Melodia: Melodoll or (Same Name)
Victini: Victiny

Which one of the Names you think is good?

Vileaf would work better if Tsutaaja were based on a viper rather than a grass snake tbh.

Zapbra sounds like some electrical lingerie... My friend came up with a fancy name for it, "Zeburaq" (from the arabic word al-buraq supposedly meaning lightning) but I think 99% of the popualtion wouldn't get the meaning even if the name sounded fancy. My speculated guess was "Zebrite" (from lightning sprite).

I have this feeling kibago's going to have a tusk-based name.

I want Hihidaruma's english name to be Flamedaruma. Btw, i like Forraconda and Royal/Roya conda. Cool.

Some of these desired starter names aren't really staying in line with how un-pun-ish the previous starters are:

Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle

Chikorita/Totodile/Cyndaquil

Torchic/Mudkip/Treecko

Chimchar/Piplup/Turtwig

I mean, those don't seem as pun-like as a lot of these names. Pignite? Piglit? Wotter? Smugleaf? They just don't stay in line with the types of names NoA uses.

How do you define what is or isn't pun-like enough? All of the starter names thus far are portmanteaus of 2 separate words. In fact that's how nearly all pokemon are named (even the japanese ones)

Yes the other starters names might seem different from our suggestions but you're forgetting this is a reboot. By the way i have an idea for Swana's english name Swuana (It's like Suave and Swan combined).

That sounds vague.

And I don't see how names like smugleaf isn't a simple name. It combines 2 words so far down the complexity level that a 10-year old could comprehend it. Names like pignite fit in with the "fire-based word + animal species" trend officially used for starters. In fact I'm pretty sure Nintendo's going to use snake-based root words for tsutaaja as well.

By the way i have an idea for Swana's english name Swuana (It's like Suave and Swan combined).

"Swu" is gonna be tough to pronounce though. I think its official name will still begin with "Swa-" (unless they go with "Cygn-")

I had a thought for a few pokemon now I've gotten to know them a bit better:

Koaruhii - Swagnet (Swan + Signet, again maybe too obvious)

Tesshido - Thornett (Thorn + Nettle, I tried to mix steel or metal into it but I couldn't make it work very well)

Yabakuron - Rubbage (Rubbish + Garbage I'm surprised I didn't think of this sooner, perhaps this is too obvious though) (Unless Rubbage is a word....I think it is....although pokemon have been named straight from words in the past...)

Chobomaki - Snight (Pronounced like Knight)(Snail + Knight)

Riguree - Bralien (Bray-lee-in)(Brain + Alien) (Being an alien pokemon I bet it'll have a freaky obscure name though)

Furiijio - Furicicle (Fury + Icicle)

Marakacchi - Cakibuntus (Kakki-bun-tuss) (A weird mix of Cactus and Bunny that probably doesn't make as much sense as it did in my head :/) (The second C in "Cactus" has been changed to a "k" to make it flow better and the "i"/"y" sound in bunny has been moved to between "Cak" and "bun")

So I just jumbled the last one up quite a bit. I'm actually really starting to like that name....I might nickname my cactus bunny that when I get it.

Some of them are too obvious though, the real ones might be more obscure.

But they dont make sense in english. Zekrom, reshiram and zoroak did but thats it. Also, smugleaf is not a portmateau (weird word i now know). Thats fancy for words like torchic that combine torch ad chic by a letter. Unless a pokemon is a pun ie milotic or ditto, thats how names are made.
Smugleaf is just 2 words but together. No letters combined or a pun...EPIC FAIL!

pokemaister899 said:
I actually think that they should keep every jappanese name.. i like most of them.

Not gonna happen.

Westerners wouldn't even be able to pronounce them properly anyway. Most people for instance don't know that in Japanese, anything with an 'a' in the romanisation is pronounced with open front unrounded vowel(i.e. the /a/ in 'card'), and so you get things like the Gen V fire starter being called "poker-boo"

@frostwind The name Reshiram doesn't really make sense to me....what's the "Reshir" part supposed to mean?

According to bulbapedia:
The shiram (シラム shiramu) in its name comes from the Japanese word 白む shiramu, which means "turning white" or "growing light".

-we can probably assume that the pokemon that's names will be pretty much the same, with maybe a few tweeks will be:

-Victini
-Gear
-Chillarmy
-Wargle
-Gothelle
-Melodia/Meloia
-Genosect
-Zorua
-Zoroark - pretty much confirmed
-Reshiram - confirmed
-Zekrom - confirmed

Back