Pokemon Embarrased to play pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't play Pokemon in public or anything. I didn't like Pokemon when I was in High School (only throughout grades 2-7, and now i like the tcg in college) but i used to talk to a bunch of people about the old pokemon games, and most of the time the other person started the conversation. I only help my little cousins with their Diamond version in public and most people think its sweet/cute because they get really excited when i do something for them :) I like collecting the cards and it is weird going to target and standing there trying to decide which pack/tin/deck i should buy, but i just say "i dont know these people, and they can't judge me." My friends dont care, people in college dont care, my family doesnt care...and even if they did i wouldnt care lol. You shouldn't be ashamed to play/collect something that makes you happy :)

My Goodness people I don't see what the big deal is about its just pokemon it's not like your friendship will instantly end if they find out. Like I said I'm the coolest kid I know and everyone who knows me knows I like Pokemon.

=P Why would you be embarrased? Once people realize WHAT Pokemon is right now, then...yeah... They might respect it. The Anime has an will probably always suck IMO...and...well...everything else is great! It has the best competitive video game series ever, and one of the most well-rounded card games right now. Yu-Gi-Oh is starting to get a little more fair, so that's doing pretty well, but...yeah. You have to pay for the tourneys... =P Most everyone at mah school knows I liek Pokemon, and I'm pretty much accepted by the people that really matter, so that's cools. It shouldn't be a problem, IMO, but this is your life. If you get people to understand what Pokemon is as a whole, then you should be fine. That is, unless you are a n00b. Then hide everything... lal Never mind. It's your decision...

~L_X_F

Heck no. Even though I'm one of the hugest Mortal Kombat fans I'm not afraid to 'hide' my Pokemon fan side. Pokemon is too much of a great game to hide. By far.

I would say yes and no....it really depends on the situation. I normally dont care what people think, but if a girl I really liked came up to me and asked what I was playing, I wouldn't WANT to say pokemon, even if I was.....I think that people think of it as a kids game even though it's evolved into so much more than that.....if it isn't someone important, I normally just brush off the comments.

In fact, alot of kids at my school bought and played D/P when it came out....I can remember tons of people playing it at lunch, so playing the game is viewed a bit more favorably than the TCG and Anime here.

-Black Rayquaza

I used to be extremely embarassed about playing Pokemon. Although all of my friends did too, I don't have very many of them. But now, I'm proud to be a Pokemaniac and if someone asks me, I'll tell them.
...hmmm, maybe that's why I'm single.

lol, im about to turn 18 and i still play pokemon >.>

im not embarassed,
but its not the only thing i do with my life either . >.>

Well if you're in middle school I actually think it's a pretty safe play to keep it hidden. Middle schoolers can be evil. >_> But in high school there's so many people that no one really cares about what you do. By college most are mature enough to not care.

As for you silly boys being concerned that girls won't like you if you tell them, that is not true a lot of the time. If you start with "I can make money" then they'll more then likely be interested. Or if you're really concerned play it casual and just say stuff about how you play to hang out with friends or whatever. /Knows from seeing this happen.

No, lol, not really, people at school think I'm strange anyways. :p I just tell the people who laugh at me that they are too dull to understand the complicated concepts of Pokemon. :D Their loss. :p

Considering I graduated HS over a year ago, I'm not so cautious about it so much anymore. I can walk around in a store with Pokemon in my cart, no problem. I was always known as the Pokemon Freak/Nintendo [Insert Insult] guy through middle and part of high school (until I transfered schools). I would never talk about it openly or anything or when I was asked about it I would deny it and say, "What? That stuff is for children. Lame." Buying Diamond in the store made me so nervous (HS Junior at the time) or buying the cards, I would constantly look around making sure no one saw me (very very stupid looking back). Now I will just walk in, buy a game or cards and think nothing of it. Platinum was not hard at all and two little kids bought the game right before me in line!

How some high school kids can like Hannah Montana/Disney Channel crew and listen to the music and be fine to show it and people think nothing of it, yet kids that like Pokemon (and anything anime in general usually) get picked on baffles me to no end. It doesn't add up in my book. Pokemon is no different to it or Star Wars, Transformers, Marvel Heroes, DC Heroes, etc. They are all marketed to appeal to all ages. You can find Playskool Star Wars toys and Spider-Man shoes for toddlers in any store.

Trust me, when you get out of HS, you will look back and find it all very silly. The popularity contests, trying to act cool by any means, etc. doesn't mean squat when you get kicked out into the real world. :p That's because in the real world, no one cares if you were captain of a ball team, prom king/queen, uber popular, a geek, nothing. You are just a person. :p I know it sounds like an after school special, but it couldn't be more true. I was quite popular my senior year at my new school, but I never talked about Pokemon or anything (not even video games). Don't flaunt it around or anything, but if you want to, go for it. There's a time and place for everything. Like with acting, keep stuff on the stage, don't bring it off.

There was this guy in my art class who was a MAJOR (and I mean MAJOR) Halo fan. Everyday he wore a Halo shirt (usually the same one day after day), would drink the Halo 3 Gamer Fuel soda, and talk about his... disturbing... love for Master Chief. He had Halo themed pins on his tux for prom even. But he was very annoying talking about Halo nonstop for 9 months in class. Him and me were the only guys in the class too, so I had a lot of girls to talk to actually. :D

Don't let other people control your life, because you will always have haters. Trying to please everyone, you will just break your back doing so, so don't even try. Do what you want. Participate in the hobbies you want to. Enjoy life how you want. High school popularity means nothing when you enter the real world (but when I say that, don't totally destroy your social life and dedicate yourself to one thing to where it's annoying).

I probably typed that as a mixed signal mess (it's late and I'm tired), but overall: Like what you want, don't worry about the judgment of others. But keep in mind there's a time and place for everything.

I used to be embarresed about it in like Year 7/ 7th Grade but now I guess I'm more comfortable about talking about it, I don't really care about what people think of be, escpecally all the idiots in my school.

Also, how many threads are the like this now? xD

@ TrainerXIII, well the whole idea people making fool of you if you like something is already wrong.

Anyway, I don't talk about it either, well because no one is interested in it so. But well Pokemon is taking too much time of my life and buying the games would cost too much. Yep, I decided to stop Pokemon, at least buying the games. Pokemon is nice, but I think I may not control my life, so I've more time to do other things. Idk about buying HG, would be a nice end, since Gold was my first game, ah well...

Pokequaza said:
@ TrainerXIII, well the whole idea people making fool of you if you like something is already wrong.

Anyway, I don't talk about it either, well because no one is interested in it so. But well Pokemon is taking too much time of my life and buying the games would cost too much. Yep, I decided to stop Pokemon, at least buying the games. Pokemon is nice, but I think I may not control my life, so I've more time to do other things. Idk about buying HG, would be a nice end, since Gold was my first game, ah well...

You say that, but the fact that you're still posting regularly on these forums still shows that you have a marked interest in the games. =P

For me at least, there's no difference between spending time talking about pokemon and spending time playing the games, it still just proves that you're a fan.

All my friends are nerds so its okay if you dont trust my opion, but I love Pokemon, and I asked all my friends to get my pokemon stuff for my
B-day....
Its coming soon!

The All Powerful Squirtle said:
I actually got my friends to LIKE pokemon at school.
Actually Ian, I started liking pokemon without you...
Sorry bud....

Some guy was playing Pokemon Platinum at work today on his break. I thought it was pretty funny because I thought of this thread and I imagined his answer would be "No, I play it at work." xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back