Dragon Pokemon Return to the TCG: 'Sky Stream' & 'Towering Perfection' Revealed!

bunnybird12

Aspiring Trainer
Yes!! Dragon isn’t dead. Spiritual Rayeels successor is here! Rayquaza Flaaffy is going to be really good and it already has some great synergy with things like Boltund V and Tower of Waters

Last edited:

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
So my takeaways:
-are the claw scratch and big Dragon symbol going to be standard going forward or is this just to celebrate their return?
-Applin didn't get a Dragon card but its evos did; Noibat used to get the same treatment for like 6 years until it finally got a Dragon card
-I think this is the first time a Dragon Drampa card had multi-energy requirements instead of just Colorless
-them not hitting themselves for weakness or getting a Basic Energy is kind of lame, since that effectively makes them Colorless Pokemon with the only real mechanical distinction being that Colorless don't benefit from Dragon support and vice versa
-is every notable character from SWSH now in the TCG?
-so what was taking so long for Regidrago?!

Sparkeagle

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm, would've thought Dragonite V's Slash would've been called Shred like most dragon's with that effect

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
Ray needs Basic Energies.
You could still use Spiral for the fetchability by Octillery and run strictly Lightning basic energy. It says 'or' not and, so you don't have to discard any Fire to make the attack work. Makes Ray immune to Paralysis too as a bonus.

So my takeaways:
-are the claw scratch and big Dragon symbol going to be standard going forward or is this just to celebrate their return?
-them not hitting themselves for weakness or getting a Basic Energy is kind of lame, since that effectively makes them Colorless Pokemon with the only real mechanical distinction being that Colorless don't benefit from Dragon support and vice versa
1. The symbol has been like that since they were first released. No reason to not use it again.
2. Well, they also don't have a weakness in turn. So that's some semblance of a mechanical distinction.
3. Either Regidrago comes out this set, or comes out on V-Union, I guess. Or perhaps the eventual DPPt remake set.

LightYearLiam

This makes me so unhappy. I really really dislike Dragon-type in the TCG. Ugly color and cringeworthy gimmick. I don't mind Pokemon in general requiring multiple types of energy, but I strongly dislike an entire type having it, just seems very overwrought. And I hate making Dragon-type "special" and different. In the games, they at least knocked it down a peg by introducing Fairy type, but now that doesn't exist in the TCG, which I'm happy about, but not if Dragon still exists. And I far prefer the TCG to not have extraneous types that can easily be covered by existing types. If they brought it back but actually made it a "normal" type with its own basic energy, I might be OK with this. Ugh, ugh, UGH.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Oh no
I've realized that Rayquaza EX from 2014 is back,just look at GMax Burst

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
So my takeaways:
-Applin didn't get a Dragon card but its evos did; Noibat used to get the same treatment for like 6 years until it finally got a Dragon card
-I think this is the first time a Dragon Drampa card had multi-energy requirements instead of just Colorless
-is every notable character from SWSH now in the TCG?
I have a sneaking suspicion that they originally planned to drop Dragon completely, giving it no representation at all for at least this generation, but then learned about Regidrago and had to change plans.

I'm guessing that the set after this one will be Regi-focused, with all 6 getting a V.

Dragon

TheDragonEmpire
Guys ray being a RS gives free retreat with tower of waters. Attack, attach, retreat repeat

Legends#23

Aspiring Trainer
We need a dialga V/Vmax, Palkia V/Vmax, Giratina V/Vmax, and an Arceus V/Vmax
Probably saving those for when the game Legends comes out or at least bdsp. Rayquaza is the only box art legendary we haveto my knowledge except for the sword shield ones

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Can't wait to play Rayquaza. Rayeels is my favorite legacy deck to play, and with all these, we have lots of the same pieces. Flaffy will be the Eelektrik, the Rapid Strike stadium will be the Skyarrow. Stormy Range is probably too good for the deck to pass up tough, so the chaining of Rayquazas will probably have to be achieved by using Air Balloon and Switch.

Dragons not having any weaknesses seem kinda busted, even with the downside of them in turn not being able to hit anything for weakness. At least it doesn't complicate the type chart simplification they achieved with the Sword and Shield overhaul, as that was a good thing (despite all the emotion fueled whining galore from the community). And thank god they avoided making them weak to themselves, that's just moronic. We're just now finally getting rid of that stupidity the pychic types always suffered from and you guys wanna put it back in the game?

Duraludon seems extra stupid. Zamazenta, Glaceon, and now this, I hate these types of abilities, and with so many different ones coexisting at the same time the format feels like a mine field, where you're always on the verge of facing decks that just "oops" you into a cheap defeat. But that's just me being salty and having personal bias against those, it's probably still fine in the grand scheme of things.

Amazing Swablu art. Altaria seems very powerful.

Zinnia's Resolve is a nice card as well, with amazing art to boot.

Last edited:

Kami_Sama

Aspiring Trainer
I seriously can't wait to play FluffyRay. I absolutely love Rayquaza and i'm really happy that this one is very playable... Also can't wait to see the alternate art version. I'm sure they're gonna blow me away.

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
Based on that new Stadium we are totally getting Regileki and Regidrago in this set. That other Stadium might as well read "Heal 30 damage off of your Zacian and ADP" so ADPZ could very well remain a top deck in Expanded.

diamondsword008

Aspiring Trainer
So do these things actually have no weakness? Or has TPC not decided yet? Because if these things actually don't have a weakness, that's insane.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
PLEASE TELL ME THIS MEANS THEY REPRINT DOUBLE DRAGON ENERGY! (Not that it's going to help Rayquaza V/VMAX but still)
Double Dragon Energy was the best special Energy in XY. Best effect, best artwork, best special Energy to be in a theme deck (and also probably the only special Energy to be in a theme deck).

Hylaster

Aspiring Trainer
Heyhey, trying to make sure I understand Rayquaza properly.

A lot of the previous cards would make you choose either Fire or Electric energy to discard. I'm assuming that's the same intent here, given the または and どちら in the card text, but I'm not 100% sure I'm reading it correctly.

So, just for clarification, is it:
(1) Discard any combination of Fire / Lightning Energy.
(2) Choose Fire / Lightning, and discard any number of that type of energy?

I feel like the current translation is a bit confusing with the word "or", though I suppose if it was #1 they would have used "and"?

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Heyhey, trying to make sure I understand Rayquaza properly.

A lot of the previous cards would make you choose either Fire or Electric energy to discard. I'm assuming that's the same intent here, given the または and どちら in the card text, but I'm not 100% sure I'm reading it correctly.

So, just for clarification, is it:
(1) Discard any combination of Fire / Lightning Energy.
(2) Choose Fire / Lightning, and discard any number of that type of energy?

I feel like the current translation is a bit confusing with the word "or", though I suppose if it was #1 they would have used "and"?

Option 2 is correct here.

Arthur Soares Nogueira

Waiting for Swampert V
Double Dragon Energy was the best special Energy in XY. Best effect, best artwork, best special Energy to be in a theme deck (and also probably the only special Energy to be in a theme deck).
The theme decks from Dragons Exalted has Blend Energies.
DDE was super! I used to play it on my favourite deck of Darkrai-EX/Giratina-EX.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
So, I just thought about something: I think that, in Expanded, ADPZ has a legitimately bad matchup against new RayEels. Not even an even one, but just bad. Never thought I'd see the day.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Dragons not having any weaknesses seem kinda busted, even with the downside of them in turn not being able to hit anything for weakness. At least it doesn't complicate the type chart simplification they achieved with the Sword and Shield overhaul, as that was a good thing (despite all the emotion fueled whining galore from the community).
You’re right about the type chart simplification, it makes everything far simpler and less convoluted mechanically. It makes no sense from a collectors point of view since it does not always represent the Pokémon’s true weakness and resistance, but it makes the game a lot easier to balance.