Crobat (Prime) from HeartGold & SoulSilver: Unleashed (#84), 5/14/2010

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
84-crobat.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks could it be used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

On it's own, not very good. It's ok with the Weezing from GE though.

I don't know. That's still up in the air.

With Weezing. (see above)

3/5. Not great, but actually not bad.

Bad. The worst Crobat artwork yet. Sorry...

(WOOT! FIRST!)

2nd???

1 not best
2?
3?
4 2/5
i dont like it....(enough said)

Use the Card Rating Guidelines.

dmaster out.

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.
Silly spammers.

~~~~
1. 130 HP on a Stage 2 is by no means uncommon. The free retreat is also nice. Its potential rests in its Severe Poison attack, which can be bolstered even further by Weezing GE. It doesn't have much for it now (due to Unown G running rampant), but after the rotation, it could see a lot more use.

2. ...Theoretically I suppose it could be put in anything, since it only needs one energy to attack, but I think it's best suited in a deck centered around him, in my opinion.

3. Use it with Weezing GE for insane KOs, and stuff to slow down the opponent's retreat. It's even more fun than Drapion, and a lot more usable.

4. 3.5/5. It's by no means perfect, and has great potential, mostly due to Severe Poison (Skill Dive would just be to pick off weaklings). However, it meets its match in Steelix Prime, another Pokemon to have come out in Unleashed, due to his massive HP, resistance to Psychic, and immunity to Special Conditions.

5. Best Crobat I've seen. I haven't seen many Crobat artworks though. Still, it's a novelty item at least.

dmaster said:
84-crobat.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

1. as stage 2 its kinda slow. low nrg cost. free retreat.
first attack condition spam. i think its the first pokemon that does 4 dmg counter in poison. it needs good backup to stack retreat cost. ( i think ariados was one?)
second attack is a snipe one.
lets say poison first turn 40 dmg. he benches. snipe 30 meh not great but still fun :D.
still 1 nrg for 30 snipe is cheap :) and 130 hp and zero retreat -20 res fight is a bold one :)

2.anything that spreads and needs a snipe last turn that can stand 1-2 hits (and requires psy nrg ofc :p
or can combo with any "gust of wind card" to stall a pokemon in front poison it then snipe at back
3 explained in 1 :p

4i give this a 1/5 reason : you cant play yet this card but still isnt a very promising one. and the 1 out of five is given for being a "tank" with zero retreat

5. artwork of HS&SS has given us legendaries with awesome artwork. this isnt awesome.1/5 and 1 cause it took 5 mins to make that mr? ( who actually drew that :p )

It can stand on it's own, but will be soo much better once unown G is out of the picture. It is definitely very fun for a battle roads deck, but I wouldnt take it to a high stake tournament.
None, at the moment
your best bet is using him on his own, or with some kind of sniper to pick things off after they retreat. Other combos could include weezing GE, Toxicroak MT, Dugtrio PL and maybe spinarak
I give it a 4/5 because it shows some kind of potential, but in this metagame it just can't be that great. With most popular decks out there featuring free retreat, warp point, warp energy etc. I don't think it will have a huge impact on the metagame
5. How's the artwork?
I like the artwork, but it's kind of boring to look at. I dont really like how they zoom in on the face...

Another one? Sure, why not? I'm in a good mood.

Crobat Prime an interesting card, in that it attacks for cheap and retreats for free. But it's damage output isn't that impressive for how difficult it is to play it, so I'm not too optimistic about it.

On the bright side, it can give Donphan and a lot of pokemon with a steep retreat cost a hard time. Four damage counters in between every turn is a lot. Nothing is safe from Skill Dive, and Crobat can retreat for free, which is good, because you can then switch it with something that can do serious damage.

On the negative, Unown G renders Severe Poison worthless, and Skill Dive only does thirty damage. Big whoop. I'd be more excited about this card if there were a PokePower or PokeBody that made it worth playing, but there's not. Against opponents that can PokeTurn and retreat for free, Crobat's damage output is way too low.

I'm not going to bother going into too much detail about how to kill this card if it should ever make a competitive appearance, because it likely won't. But if someone loses their mind and decides that this card is worth playing, just note the weakness. Luxray and Crobat G for the kill.

Crobat Prime from Unleashed gets a score of 2 out of 5.

It's too hard to play for what it does, and the only reason you'd send it out late in the game is because your opponent already KOed all your better options. Just keep this card in your binder. A certain Crobat is big in the competitive arena, and this is far from it.

Oh boy, time to review the most hyped card in Unleashed, Crobat Prime.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or has potential? Is it worth playing?

Crobat Prime is somewhat OK on its own I guess. The main advantage this card has is that it is kind of fast for a stage 2, with real low energy attacks and a free retreat cost. The attacks are interesting, yet at the same time, not so good right now. The first attack is why this card is literally hyped. The ability to put 4 damage counters on a Poisoned Pokemon in between each turns sounds crazy. Indeed, to heavy retreaters like Gyarados, Donphan, and Dialga G, this can spell trouble; however, there are a billion ways to get through it. You can use Unown G, Super Scoop Up, Warp Point, Switch, Poketurn (if a Pokemon SP is affected), or a free retreater to get through it. Luxray GL also laughs at it because of the horrid weakness to lightning. The second attack has sniping potential, but if only it can hit for more than it would be good. From what I see, this card doesn't have much potential and may not truly be worth playing.

2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?

There are no metagame decks that use Crobat Prime right now. If there were, it would most likely be played with either Dugtrio PT or Weezing GE.

As it was previously mentioned, I would play Crobat Prime with either Weezing GE or Dugtrio PT. First off, Weezing could be a good partner because its Poke-Body increases the damage from poison for each Weezing you have in play. With Crobat Prime, you can literally place lots of damage counters on a poisoned Pokemon every turn as long as you set up several Weezings. Secondly, Dugtrio could be a good partner too because places two damage counters on the defending Pokemon if the defending Pokemon were to retreat. Since free retreaters like Luxray GL will easily retreat to get rid of the poision, you can use Dugtrio to place 2 damage counters as the Luxray retreats, thus giving it 6 damage counters in total (assuming with no Unown G and it was affected by Deep Poison). Otherwise, nothing else seems to come into mind. Dugtrio and Weezing are literally the best partners.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you would give it that rating.

I would give Crobat a 2/5. Crobat does seem interesting that's for sure. His unique ability to poison by placing 4 damage counters instead of 1 on a poisoned Pokemon in between each turn is quite insane. He can snipe too, but not a lot. Sadly, Crobat really gets taken down in the current format right now. Unown G, Poketurns, Switches, Warp Points, and any Pokemon with free retreat can easily go through his poisoning, and his weakness is horrible with Luxray GL still being the best card in the format. Thus, I don't think this card will really shine at this very moment as it is literally a card that has been hyped to much.

5. How's the artwork?

Well, the artwork is OK at least. That Crobat really does give quite a sinister stare, a stare far sinister than Crobat G. Indeed, the artwork isn't too bad that's for sure.

5. How's the artwork?

I was thinking of a deck with cobat in it so I think its ok
it s fairly new so....
weezing GE and dugtrio crobat G the list goes on
I think it is good and probly going to bulid a deck with it 4/5
4/5 i kinda like it

1. It's worth being played...anywhere besides a tournament. Unown G is a HUGE problem right now.

2. Well, anything that's not overloaded with techs and can squeeze in an Exploud might work. Its low energy cost may let Hippowdon Lv.X be a good Unown G counter.

3. Look above. I really think this has potential. Maybe if there were a way to damage Unown G while its played and let Ampharos jam its Pokepower? Unfortunately, Miasma Valley won't work since Unown G is Psychic. Miasma Valley! That could make KO's a lot easier with this card! Other reviewers already mentioned Weezing.

4. 3.5/5 It does 80 for one energy, and if the opponent survives that, it can snipe so the next attacker isn't so lucky. Free retreat, and ways to easily pile extra damage make this card quite a contender. Unfortunately, Unown G makes this attacker into a pathetic sniper and Luxray KOs this with little help.

5. It's kind of cool. I would've liked to see a cool stunt or background, but a close-up Crobat is okay.

1. great card I'm hoping to play it in the Uk nationals.
2. It can be used well but it may need to be paired with.
3. I'm going to use it with prime Ursaring.
4. 5 out of 5 because it's worth playing.
5. It gives of a great afect

very good since it can damage the poisoned pokemon 40 between turns, but very bad against steelix prime.lol

fainting spell gengar maybe or weezing with the extra 10 damage for the poisoned pokemon

i think it really can hit with huge damage if combined with weezing that can add 10 damage for the poisoned pokemon.OR u can add with blaziken from platinum and use fire breath then the opponents must flip also for the burn, so u can get total 60 damage between turn...lol

4.2 stars

5. How's the artwork?
nice, it shows how tricky is crobat...lol

84-crobat.jpg

Guiding questions:
5. How's the artwork?

It''s good against Donphan, because Donphans Pokebody doesn't take away damage from poisen, so in between turns Donphan would take four damage, knocking it out in 2 turns.

None Yet

Weezing GE

2/5. Poketurn takes away poisen and because of weakness, Luxray X(or just Luxray GL) can KO it in one turn.

3/5. I've seen better pokemon prime artwork.

Guiding questions:

On its own it is terrible - low output with potential limited by numerous factors. Weaknesses include free retreat, Poke Turn/Super Scoop Up, Warp Point, Switch, Powers that switch, Special Condition prevention/removal, Effect prevention, a terrible weakness, etc.

None - it has no place at any sort of competitive event.

The best combo is with Luxray GL Lv. X from what I hear, although there are a lot of outs, and you can be willing to bet that any sort of competitive player will have a few in their deck.

1/5
Aside from fun play (although I don't consider low damage output fun), this card has one good matchup in the format (Donphan), which it can still lose to. There really is no reason to hype this card as it has nearly zero potential.

5. How's the artwork?

Something about it makes me want to scream out 'TIMMAH'. Crobat itself is a cool Pokemon, but not fond of this picture. The shiny Prime border is visually appealing, though.

It's bad at it's own. There are cards like Unown G, Switch, Warp Point, Poke Turn, Super Scoop Up, ... and things like cheap retreat.

None for now.

Maybe Ariados MT or Weezing GE can work with Crobat Prime. Ariados for more retreat and Weezing GE for more poison damage.

I think 2/5 is enough. Because so many cards can take poison off and because Luxray GL can beat it easily.

5. How's the artwork?
I've seen better Prime artworks. Maybe 3/5.

I definitely see it being playable, perhaps after unown g is cycled out. Poison for 4 definitely gives the player somewhat control over the game.

No metagame decks.

Combos, definitely Dugtrio PL, I mean lets say worst case scenario your going against jumpluff, he retreats after getting poisoned, now he has sixty on him for one energy. thats a dealbreaker, you have two dugtrio's, hopefully one can pull that, now he has 80 on them for one. Sniping for 1 energy is nice as well. also you have ariados that will eat up energy with retreat cost. you might need something to counter flygon though.

Rating is 7 out of 10, counter flygon then you have ariados, its pure retreat or die situation, no way out of it. ALLL YOU NEED TO DO IS PLUG UP THAT RETREAT AND YOU HAVE THE GAME.

The artwork is terrible, I love crobat, that is not crobat.

1.How is the card?

This is a really good news-bad news card. It can sit there are stall if you want, free retreat, minimal investment (perhaps a Candy if you want). But that's about it. Needs something special, like Toxicroak (MT) or Weezing (GE). Since both of these will most likely rotate out... oops.

2. Which metagame decks use this?

It's too new for the metagame just yet, but Severe Poison does fit in well with spread strategies (and so does Skill Dive).

3. Any combos?

Please refer to Question 1 and 2 lol.

4. Please rate this card.

Crobat is the middle of the road. I want to give it a 4/5 just because it is a LOT of fun, but it isn't competitive in any way (not yet at least). I'll split the difference and say 3.75/5 ( a grade of 75%).

5. How's the artwork?

This thing is angry, same as all the PRIMES. But it's a bit too darkly shaded (and WAY too much purple for one card lol). Crobat is vey dynamic, and this art doesn't do it justice really (the MT Crobat has great art imo, and Crobat G is cool too). Artwork, 3/5.

One quick note for the second question. I changed it from the last Card Reviews. Basically what it's asking is what COULD it be used in. This is so most answers are not "None" and people can actually come up with creative ideas before Tournaments start.

dmaster out.

alone this card does not fare very well but ifyou include strong backup it can be really useful, also it has a lot of potential,and it is worth bieing played
i guess you could add it in a luxray deck to give it a little extra edge
well my favorite combo with it would be to make the active pokemon asleep with hypno hs then poison it , hopefully your opponent flips tails for asleep,and then retreat crobat your next turn and then use rosarade (stormfront)'s deep poison to score 80 damage
i would give it a 4.5 due to its great potential (when unown g is cycled out)
5. How's the artwork?
the artwork is great

1. Ah another Crobat, we all know what to expect, poison. but with an ability to put 4 DCs in between turns, well, that's new.
2. it's great for either forcing retreats or KO's
3. combine it either with Weezing GE for 5 DCs in between turns or Drapion from SF to prevent retreat for 0 energy.
4. i give it a 4.5,it has untapped potential once unown G is gone.
5. I'm not a huge fan of the close up face art work of the primes, and since crobat is a face with wings...i give it a 1

Back